The Speed Chalange levelpack (work in progress)

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

donciux
Kuski

The Speed Chalange levelpack (work in progress)

Post by donciux »

Ok so i found creating levs 9interesting and i'm starting out. So heres my very first level for the "Speed Chalange" levelpack (still need re-look, i dont actually know how to make grass etc. so would be nice if someone who knows pm me). I make this not only for 1 level, im makin the whole level and show them to you that i should know what to fix. So here goes http://mxb.dk/upload/TSC1.lev
p.s. i quess somethink is wrong with link.... when i press it it shows numbers and stuff only...... tell me if it doesn't work
donciux
Kuski

Post by donciux »

So any tips or recs?
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Firstly, there's a topic where you can advertise your levels. There's no need at all to create a new topic for one level. Secondly, there's no need to double post in your topic to gain more attention for your topic. People decide theirselves if they bother to reply to your topic or post. Thirdly, it's not wise to post levels when you haven't gained a certain skill in levelmaking. If you don't know how to make grass, practise a bit with the editor to discover how it works. In order to make nice levels you need to understand the editor quite well. Fourthly, your levels sucks. It has too much speed that involves no cool tricks that good players like. It's visually incompetent, but the worst thing about the level is the playability. I wouldn't play this level ever again if I don't have to. You should take a look at a lot of levels of other levelmakers to see what makes a level a good level. Fifthly, I made a rec: http://mxb.dk/upload/tsc01tj.rec .
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

Still it's funny how noobs often make the most interesting levels stylewise, especially the ones that aren't very aware of possible tricks in elma, just check balazs' lev pack and think how boring would levels 23 and 24 be with apples at up right. Ugly or even loop levels aren't necessarily bad, in fact those have become more interesting than the cup levels nowadays 'healo I have hidden uber stylz', or Antz' battle levels, those simply don't interest for shit anymore. Making a lev with nice details and with the obvious and the hidden style is an art itself and just another way of doing it, though. I'm just saying I wouldn't mind having more those fkin ugly and fkin noobish levels again, like the across levels from the 90s.

Sure it's possible that I am totally wrong and every level can get those insane styles internals got after 9 years of evolving, but still in my opinion many of the today's levels are controlling the player far too much, it's like playing half-life.

And no I didn't check the level or ever will.
WkE
Kuski

Post by WkE »

Few remarks:

* Of course you still have a lot to improve, but its ok, no one here made pro-levels right on the beginning. I suggest you to download some levels and try to learn how to improve yours.

* Gravity rarely fits well in levels. Most of the time it is just annoying, because people like to know where they're driving. Driving upside down is also pretty annoying if you ask my opinion.

* Gigantic levels with huge terrains (and loops and jumps etc) usually feel pretty boring, especially when they have no tricks inside them and just make you drive straightforward with high speed.
Elma levs, imho, should not feel like a roller coaster ride. Putting more effort into the details would be nice.

* Grass and pictures are good.

* That passage in the end you called a "pipe" is not a real pipe. A "pipe" is a passage in which you have to drive sideways (=with wheels perpendicular to the driving direction) with both wheels touching the terrain, coz driving it straight is simply not possible.

* Suggestion: don't place apples where they're not necessary. Their use is to make players use different styles or routes. Aside from just being pointless when placed where they're not necessary, they cause 2 more problems: a. Limiting the possible styles in the level, b. Annoying the player, for example in the tunnel in the end of your lev when you miss 2-3 apples coz the driver passes through them.

* When I joined the scene my levs were much worse. Keep up the levelmaking, practice makes perfect! :)

(in my signature there's a link to a big level i made - huge, not too tricky but still pretty fun. maybe you should try it. oh, and try #battle too)
TT: 43:03.93 | AVG: 47:03.65 | Image | Team Site [TR] || TR Forum | 1 Pro, 27 Good, 26 OK