mind trap discussions

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

ribot
Not banned

mind trap discussions

Post by ribot »

just for fun i wanted to discuss some questions in the mind trap topic, because some answers that are not meant for the riddles could be correct anyway from a perspective or another. or u could just say that some answers are wrong :]

this one for example:
mind trap wrote: Confucius carried 3 gold-pieces each weighing 1 kg. Confucius weighs 78 kgs. He comes to a bridge that can only carry 80 kgs. How do Confucius get over in only one go with all the gold-pieces?
the answer is supposed to be that you juggle the gold pieces. i talked to a physicist about this. he said, that if you stand on a scale, and weigh 78 kg, carry a ball that is 1 kg, the scale would show 79 kg (!). but then when u accelerate the ball (throw or catch it while juggling), the ball's weight on the scale will be a lot more than 1 kg. when you juggle (at least sometimes during the process), you do carry one ball in one hand, and accelerate another, meaning that your body would "weigh" more than 80 kgs.
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

If you are fast and skillful enough you don't have to throw it too high and therefore not that much acceleration needed and therefore not that much power to throw and therefore not that much "more weight". So if all the time two spices are in the air you might be able to keep the "weight" under 80kg but most likely not but at least in theory.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

but can u juggle with two balls in the air all the time, and yet throw the ball low?
-
-
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

ribot wrote:but can u juggle with two balls in the air all the time, and yet throw the ball low?
Me?-) I don't think so but maybe someone, at least in theory as I said.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

if u throw the balls low then u will have two in your hands, which means it doesnt matter how low u throw them u still weigh too much.
-
-
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

ribot wrote:if u throw the balls low then u will have two in your hands, which means it doesnt matter how low u throw them u still weigh too much.
Hm? You can juggle with them that only one in hands at once, in theory. Amateurs use the tech where only one in air at once.
Jalli
Pipe King

Post by Jalli »

I've seen people who juggle 3 balls with one hand so I guess it's possible. I also believe that it is in theory possible to do that trick.
4th position in WC4 (DAMN YOU KARLIS!!!!) PWNED KARLIS IN WC5!!!!TT:39:2x:xx (you've got some playing to do Stini ;) ) When it's all over the question is not who was right. The question is who's left.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

Jalli wrote:I've seen people who juggle 3 balls with one hand so I guess it's possible. I also believe that it is in theory possible to do that trick.
In theory it's 100% sure it's possible. If you want to know it in practice you need to measure the acceleration of the needed minimun throwing power for the most skillful juggler in the world.
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

where is that 100 % sure theory? u need to calculate how high u have to throw the balls to have two in the air at the same time, and add that acceleration to the weight.
-
-
chux
Kuski

Post by chux »

lol! So funny to see such discussion over a hypotheitcal question...anyways, the riddles answer is "juggle them" so does it really matter? yes? ok then...
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.
Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
m0nkeii
Kuski

Post by m0nkeii »

i don't think it matters how low you juggle them. if you jump onto the scales, even from a low height it makes you weigh more than you really do. this means that falling makes something weigh more for a sec so if he juggled them he would still be over the limit even if only by a milligram.

solution: throw them over to the other side :)
Image Click the m0nkeii! Click it! | A
| tt=47:31,02 | wc4= 100th |
Ky.Jelly
Flood to teh MAX

Post by Ky.Jelly »

well i think its about time to post teh answers, caus it used to be two wuizes a day now its one a week
[10:51:18] <skint0r> i could SACh see KyJelly working at ICA ;D
[10:51:37] <skint0r> "vad kostar denna?" "wtf ch0b0"
Thursday, March 2nd 2005, 0942 i was 3333 [4.43% of total / 3.25 posts per day]
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

don't throw the balls up, just drop them and juggle them like that. drop one, catch it before it hits the floor, drop the next, catch it, etc. with this technique the bridge would only even need to support 79kg
[OMG] | [SpEF] | Apparently my TT was once 39:26:06
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

sierra wrote:don't throw the balls up, just drop them and juggle them like that. drop one, catch it before it hits the floor, drop the next, catch it, etc. with this technique the bridge would only even need to support 79kg
Very intelligent... sick
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

In that way the gold piece will still weight over 1 kg when you catch, because there's energy of the accelerating piece that will fall on your hand.

Confucius should either put his boots off, or swing one gold piece of to the other end and then run really fast to catch it there. Practically he won't survive it with the other two pieces, because the lifting of the feet will make confucius weight more.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

Or he could buy some hydrogen balloons from the nearby balloon salesman, which I'm sure there were an abundance of back then.
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

Or he could just start losing some weight at the nearby gym :D :D
---
This would 100% work:
Get rid of his cloths. Should way more than 1 kg. And the shoes.
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

if your standing on the scales andconfucius is juggling with his golden balls the scale will eventhough it jumps alot the average will always be 81kg
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

D'oh, and that average makes the proof that it isn't possible?
Furthermore, when I consider "your rules" the average weight won't be 81 kg, but less. Then again, considering more complex rules of physics the weight will at times be even more than 81 kg, as I said in my earlier post.
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

yes, at times there will be more then 81kg, at other times less then 81kg, the average will be on 81kg, and as the bridge only can hold 80kg it would be impossible yes.
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Well, sierra's trick would work if you juggle down only once and if the bridge was like 10 cm long...
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Juski wrote:yes, at times there will be more then 81kg, at other times less then 81kg, the average will be on 81kg, and as the bridge only can hold 80kg it would be impossible yes.
I do not understand how you could be so sure of that average. Not that it matters anyway, what the heck. And BoneLESS, you're absolutely right. :P
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

If the man took of his shirt. Tied the 3kg coins/balls what ever it was, to the end of one arm. And held the other arm.
Then swing it around very quickly. Just like you do with a bucket of water. to get the water "hang" in the bottom.
That way the 3kg's would weigh less. But how much less i don't know.

If anyone understands what I just wrote :roll: :roll: :?
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

still the same problem there xiphias, if you spin it vertically it will wheigh more then 81kg when its down, and if you spin it horisontally it wont affect the amount of wheight it presses down on the bridge vertically, i think somehting like that. :X
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

You're half right, juski, and even that's enough to blow up Xiphias' theory.
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

yeh the problem is really impossible, because using a method that works for infinity (or atleast a method were it doesn't matter how long the bridge is) is impossible to do if we want to carry 81kg in total over a bridge that carries only 80kg.

If we throw a ball in the air repeteadly so that it is in the air 2/3s of the time it will wheigh approximetly 3 times its wheight in the upthrowing process.
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

Confucius should go to a store and spend all his coins on a rope, which he can use to get over. Then he can throw away the rope, since he's now light enough to get over anyway.
jonsi
Kuski

Post by jonsi »

scince we are talking about alternative solutions..
walk many times, ofcourse if people wouldnt be so lazy there would be no problems such these... :roll:
Nothing anymore....
Sick_Mambo
Kuski

Post by Sick_Mambo »

He would never make it across even without the coins.

As he walks his weight hitting the bridge will temporarily hit the bridge with more than 80 kg's as his weight settles.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Who said that newton was right really? Maybe confucius defies his laws by applying confucius physics.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

throw the 3 pieces of gold into the air (and have them stay close together when 'flying') then you jump, catch them in the air, throw them again before you land, and when you land you jump again, catch the pieces, throw them and land etc

would work if he had max skill in timing teh, so he can make very small jumps.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

if you do in fact juggle with one hand, that means your weight could only ever be 79kg + the weight of the acceleration it brings down after falling.

solution, learn how to juggle three pieces with one hand fast enough so that you only ever have one piece in one hand, and keep them low enough so that the acceleration will not outweigh the bridge, should work this way. dont know how to do the math of this, maybe somebody could figure out how much more weight 1kg will add from falling a foot or so?
God Bless America
Are
Kuski

Post by Are »

Mythbusters tested a similar theory, where a trailer filled with birds would weigh less if all the birds flew around inside, thus allowing the trailer to pass over a bridge that could hold the weight of an empty trailer.

It didn't work :)
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Just be me, jump across the whole bridge with all the gold in hand. Use the gold as halteres, but just don't let go of them.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Somehow you don't fit the image you're trying to create of yourself, samuel.

Oh, and I don't mean the avatar.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Maybe I should instead start juggling high and eventually reach low, juggling faster? (!)
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

dont think he would pass the bridge even if he didnt have the stuff with him. 78kg might be his mass but he will definetily weigh over 80kg at times even when trying to do very cautious walking

then again that's kinda stupid since the whole thing is so theoretical that impsy to think it in practical way. liek 79.99999999 is np but 80 bajbaj
Kale
Kuski

Post by Kale »

Let's send adam and jamie a letter
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

i think this riddles kind of worn out., lets try a new one.

you wake up in a room with two men, behind each man there's a door, one which is the exit and another a bottomless pit, one man always lies, where the other always tells the truth, you dont know which door is which nor which one is the truthful or lying man. you may ask one question to one of the two men to figure out the exit door, what do you ask?
God Bless America
Are
Kuski

Post by Are »

Ask one of them "If I asked your companion which door was the exit, which door would he point to?".

The truthful man would point to the door with the bottomless pit, as that's what the lying man would do.
The lying man would also point to the door with the bottomless pit, as that's the opposite of what the truthful man would do.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

dame, try nat to do riddels u first heard like 10 yers ago
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Kale
Kuski

Post by Kale »

lol'd at jappes stupid joke =)
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Jappe wrote:these 2 men are obviously lovers. i would start kissing the other passionately and then ask the second man "jealous?" if the man says no, he is the liar.
other solution is just to open the doors and check.
i would choose to jump in the bottomless pit thou, whats better than to die
of starvation in an endless freefall?
i guess this was a nice attempt at humor, but all that would do is tell you who the liar is, which really doesnt necessarily tell you what door to go through. Are has the right answer.
God Bless America
chux
Kuski

Re:

Post by chux »

gimp wrote:
Jappe wrote:these 2 men are obviously lovers. i would start kissing the other passionately and then ask the second man "jealous?" if the man says no, he is the liar.
i guess this was a nice attempt at humor, but all that would do is tell you who the liar is, which really doesnt necessarily tell you what door to go through. Are has the right answer.
Nice attempt? It was hilarous :D

Any more riddles?
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.
Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
teajay
Donator duck

Re: mind trap discussions

Post by teajay »

No more riddles, forbidden, lock.