Foreign movies: Dubbed or Subtitled?

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

zworqy
Kuski

Foreign movies: Dubbed or Subtitled?

Post by zworqy »

What do you prefer? Dubbed or subtitled movies / tv shows?

The only movies I find it motivated to dub is movies intended for children who can't read yet. Otherwise dubbing sucks!

In some countries, like Germany they dub EVERYTHING. It's quite funny when you think about it, most people in these countries doesn't know what big movie stars ACTUALLY sound like! All they ever hear is some bad local actor talking out-of-sync with the superstars lips!
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

Neither. (If the movie is in English)
Subtitles are OK. Practice of dubbing should be declared unconstitutional and be followed by declaration of lawlessness concerning all those responsible. Especially the voice actors.
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

subtitles doesn't bother me if it's same language as the movie, or my mother tongue of course.

dubbing though sucks, good that it's only used in chlidren shows here
Antz
Donator
Team: Quack

Post by Antz »

dubbing sucks very big time. e.g in shrek they've replaced mike meyers and eddie murphy and all those other stars with some crappy finnish actors. after seeing english version the finnish one was agonyzing.

subtitles are fine, unless they are some foreign language, but it's best if there is neither dubbing nor subtitles.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Subtitles, although a lot of these are bad. For example, the Norwegian subtitles on TLOTR-TFOTR, sometimes had "Mordor", when in fact what the actor said was "Gondor".

Dubbing is OK on animated movies.
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

jep in germany everything on tv or in cinema is german...
tris sucks quite hard because everything just sounds cooler in english....
sometimes you get the chance to see a good movie in english too (for example lotr)...
i dont like subtitles because you always look at them even if you would understand what was said....
but if the movie is jap or something its better...
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Suntitles is ok as long as it not in same lanuguege as they talk
dubbing sux
Jalli
Pipe King

Post by Jalli »

Subtitles are ok.
Dubbing is stupidity, (except from the Norwegian version of Ice Age, that rules :) )
4th position in WC4 (DAMN YOU KARLIS!!!!) PWNED KARLIS IN WC5!!!!TT:39:2x:xx (you've got some playing to do Stini ;) ) When it's all over the question is not who was right. The question is who's left.
Xhomaz
Kuski
Team: LOS

Post by Xhomaz »

Subtitles are better
Team LOS website
I'll stop stabbing when you stop screaming
Ky.Jelly
Flood to teh MAX

Post by Ky.Jelly »

subtitles are the way to go, except wen u drop something and miss a whole sentence, well i suppose i cant comment on dubbing caus i have never seen a dubbed movie, is it worth the wait
[10:51:18] <skint0r> i could SACh see KyJelly working at ICA ;D
[10:51:37] <skint0r> "vad kostar denna?" "wtf ch0b0"
Thursday, March 2nd 2005, 0942 i was 3333 [4.43% of total / 3.25 posts per day]
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

insane guy wrote:i dont like subtitles because you always look at them even if you would understand what was said....
Not true. When you've seen like 5-10 mins of the movie, you'll forget that there are subtitles, though you still use them to understand what they say better.
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
KryptoN
Kuski

Post by KryptoN »

subtitles are ok. Dubbed movies sound so fucking funny :roll:
In germany they dubb anything they can get in their hands :lol:
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

zworqy: to me it is
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

subtitles can be good cause sometimes u dont hear what guys mumble, or they use expressions u don't understand. but on the other food, sometimes they translate it wrong anyway. and with subtitles i tend to not listen as well as i should.

dubbing can be nice, but most often it's totally unartistic, bored routine jobs sounding awfully stupid.

if i have a choise, i would probably choose without subtitles or dubbing for a film im really interested in. with subtitles if it's a film im quite interested in. and dubbed some time just for a different experience.
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

what i hate most is same languaged subtitles with differet words than they really say
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

dz wrote:what i hate most is same languaged subtitles with differet words than they really say
Hm, never seen.

If the text is exactly same than what they speak and you want to read subtitles it almost impossible to find time to watch the film itself if they speak much. I mean if there are so much talk and therefore text that all your time goes for reading the subtitles.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

ive seen movies with subtitles for over ten years and never really noticed that ...of course there are some exceptions

it depends on the quality of the movie though, if it's difficult to concentrate on the visuals with full concentration, its of course even more difficult if you have to read subtitles all the time and lose the focus
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

There's a lot of badly translated subtitles, at least in Norwegian.
I remember one example from the Matrix. Agent Smith was saying "billions of people....", and it was translated directly with the same word "billion". The problem is, billion in Norwegian means the same as trillion in English. :) It shows a complete lack of understanding from the translator's side.
chux
Kuski

Post by chux »

I find with subtitles, i look away from the film just to read...very annoying with films like Crouching Tiger
I actually prefer dubbing, sometimes it can really annoy you, but who doesnt like a nice bit of awful dubbing? Especially when the mouth keeps moving for a couple of seconds after the speech has stopped :D
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.
Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
Napoleon
Kuski

Post by Napoleon »

Nearly all the movies i watch are in english, so i like then there are some danish subtitles :)
teajay
Donator duck

Re: Foreign movies: Dubbed or Subtitled?

Post by teajay »

God yes, dubbing sucks. Really, why did they come up with it. The german dubs are notorious here in holland, we make a lot of fun of those, but when I was in lithuania I saw it even worse; russians dubs over english, while you could still hear the english at the same time.

Once I downloaded a film (some lindsay lohan teen flick :p) and I found out it was in italian. Had to watch it with english subtitles, man, that was really annoying.
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Subtitles are annoying as you can't focus on the images, you have to read and read and read and you finally can't enjoy the movie.
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

Subtitles >>>> dubbing
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

The_BoneLESS wrote:Subtitles are annoying as you can't focus on the images, you have to read and read and read and you finally can't enjoy the movie.
Best combination for me is english with english subtitles, you can read half of the text and you get everything without missing anything from the film. I think we are too much used to reading subtitles to have a real struggle keeping up with the film.

And when I'm watching a dutch film, I notice I sometimes even miss some dialogue in the film, because they're speaking too unclear, and I cannot read the dialogue with it.
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Personnaly, i don't have any problems following any movie in french (original or dubbed). English is sometimes hard with few actors with strong accents and low pitch. For any other language, i need translation (english or french subtitles are fine).
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

zworqy wrote:What do you prefer? Dubbed or subtitled movies / tv shows?

The only movies I find it motivated to dub is movies intended for children who can't read yet. Otherwise dubbing sucks!

In some countries, like Germany they dub EVERYTHING. It's quite funny when you think about it, most people in these countries doesn't know what big movie stars ACTUALLY sound like! All they ever hear is some bad local actor talking out-of-sync with the superstars lips!
you are a stupid cunt, everyone in germany speaks perfect english. EVERYONE. they don't even have german accents anymore, they are all faked.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)