Musicology

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

teajay
Donator duck

Musicology

Post by teajay »

Last year when I finished high school, I chose to study history at the university of amsterdam. I felt it had to be something for me, cause I remember as a kid I liked history some, and especially this book which was like a children's encyclopedia for all big historic events and the development of societies throughout the time. Also, I was used to easy good grades with history, having never had any fails whatsoever for the subject on high school, eventhough I hardly read any of the stuff.

But well, the same story it was on uni. I wasn't really interested in the details of stuff, I liked the greek societies, but for the rest of it, history is just too much for me. I quit at the end of march and decided to go for musicology in september. I have been playing guitar for 4 years now, and although I'm sometimes very disappointed in my skills, I find music very interesting. Every god damn part of it, some parts in lesser extents, but that's mainly due to the lack of music in it or lack of originality (nu-soul for one, most gangsta rap, bad black metal bands, lame copies of good blues, whatever). What's more, when the music starts to get complicated, or less radiofriendly for the greater public, I tend to be interested more in it.

I'm not really prepared for next week and the whole course, I have never been to the university of utrecht where I'll be studying, I don't even know where it is in utrecht. All I know is, that the study will concentrate a bit on music theory, much on investigation on classical music and history of music, and today's place of music in society.

Funny thing is, this subject exists for well over a century maybe, but people still look surprised when I say I will be studying musicology, like wtf is that?
All I know, is the fact that I'm just interested in anything about music, wether it be theory, anecdotes, instruments, composers or playing it myself. Thing is, I'd like to rule on the guitar/bass, but I think I keep sucking.

So my question is, what do you guys think of musicology or music? Maybe you didn't even know about it, perfectly fine, then now you know. And for the guitar players; do you also have the feeling you suck eternally? :(
And when the study kicks off I will maybe add some info about stuff I heard, just for the fun of it and mopolauta's lack of interesting stuff. Maybe I'll be posting here in another 5 years, concluding that "I still suck very much on the guitar, but still a lot less than in 2008". I hope so. :P

Oh, and if you did not find this topic interesting, than at least be happy that I didn't in the meantime post 30 topics about igge's dick in the testing topic. :)
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Re: Musicology

Post by zebra »

I have to confess that I had never before heard about musicology, even if I'm very musical myself too. So it seems that musicology is music history and theory? Like music for the ppl who suck at playing it?

I have been thinking of going to music university too. I have been playing piano since i was 4 years old so I master it quite well already. I know also a lot about music theory and stuff because I graduated from local music school some years ago where I practised piano playing. But so far I haven't applied to the music academy because I just graduated from technological university and have work and stuff.

Still it's interesting to hear what do you do in musicology lessons.
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

ok, nice! yes musicology is for the people who suck at playing it. 8)
I guess what you mean is a conservatory/conservatorium? In holland music university wouldn't fit, since it isn't on academic level. Is it in finland?
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

I'm not very familiar with these english terms but I think that in finland conservatory is at lower level than the Sibelius Academy which I meant.
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
wjelo
Kuski

Post by wjelo »

it would be only interesting for me if you could study history of rock and possibly some other basics, would be max

i know a guy from a befriended local hard rock band (he also plays guitar in a jazz band and a tours with a big band right now) who studies on artistic faculty of one of the biggest universitets in Poland, UMCS in Lublin. the specialization is called something like 'jazz and concert music', but apart from theory they have some activities concerning playing instruments, jamming sessions etc

oh, and it's a shame that there is no elastomaniology for ppl who suck in elma ;/
A beer a day keeps the doct0r away.
last.fm profile
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

What's more, when the music starts to get complicated, or less radiofriendly for the greater public, I tend to be interested more in it.
welcome your new favorite band

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =182182279

tis my dad's old band actually pretty good. but i do swear about 99,998% of the worlds population wont like it.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

It would even better if I could understand the lyrics. Nice music, it reminds me of captain beefheart. But no wonder. :)
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

does anyone of you knows progressive-rock/hard-rock band Dream Theater?
If yes, write what do you think about it.
If no, i can upload few best tracks, tell me if you want

(then where to post this?)
Last edited by pawq on 29 Aug 2008, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
wjelo
Kuski

Post by wjelo »

wrang tropick
last.fm profile
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Hihi, pawq, ofcourse we know about that band, it's fucking popular. I like only a few songs though, but it's a good band nevertheless.

Anyway, this week I had the introduction for musicology. Turned out to be really cool. I dare to say that everyone on the trip was sociable, funny and kind. I did a lot of beer and slept 4 hours a day. We had some classes about the phenomenon 'gothic' and it's heir, gothic rock/metal and the subculture today. Really interesting. The teacher was a young woman with piercing and shite like that, wtf :p

I have good hopes for this study now. I never expected this to be so amazing, eventhough I was quite optimistic about this whole thing.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

i knew about musicology. it's compulsary study in years 7 and 8 at my school. (i'm Y9)

but yeah, it can be really interesting if you have a good teacher and good class, all i say tj is: ever since i first came to lauta i could see you were interested in music, so go for it, i think it's good for you and maybe can pick up some guitar skialz at same time.

oh and btw. a really handy thing for studying music and music theory would be to teach yourself some small piano stuffs (ez grade 3 or 4 with some 8 hours of practice for musical people, especially because you can already read music and know about sharps and flats etc.)

Good Luck tj :S
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

You kinda made me wonder about your whole story's degree of truth with that last line, with the added :S, but I guess that wasn't what you meant? =)

And yeah, I have a midi keyboard here on which I tried to learn some stuff (chords mainly), and that helped. I've no clue about what you mean with "grades", seems like they have all kinds of levels in anglosaxon countries, because jaytea once made a remark about sierra getting a certain grade in guitar at school. For all I know, we don't work with those grades on school. You have them on music schools though, but I never went to such a school (only private guitar lessons and band stuff).

At high school on higher levels of education, there is indeed a compulsory subject called 'music' and it's indeed like a simplified variant of musicology.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

A full week and a half in this study. I've had some stuff about gregorian. It's massive. This book about the history of western music comes with lots of terminology I am not familiar with, also the fact that it's in english doesn't help much.
The examples in class were nice though, not bad at all this biblical psalm-singing. Minutes of melismas on one syllable, neat.

I've been thinking about music the whole day long today, and the same goes for the rest of the past few days. My head's gonna burst, but it's okay. Right now I'm reading *some* pages about trouveres and some shite like that. Tomorrow another class in that.

Today was fun, we had this dope class in ICT and computing education. We have to run through this guide which makes you learn about html and do some exercises. I missed last week per accident, but because it's so ez (html!), I'm beyond schedule already. Fun.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

lolz tj, yeah the :S came out wrong.

basically grades are just to measure how good you are at the certain instrument, at the end of each 'grade' you take an exam with the respective MEB of your country (in australia we have AMEB) and if you pass, you are 'grade' 6 or whatever.

grade 1 = Beginner
grade 2 = semi beginner
grade 3 = starting to become a proper player, here is about where MOST people worldwide are for piano, not too hard stuff.
grade 4 = getting into the difficult stuff. (if it's a wind instrument, this is about where you start working on improving sounds quality and proper breathing/for guitar, this is about where you can hit quite a lot of fast stuff like starting to hit Solo's in rock songs)
grade 5 = evolved as a serious player, from now on you must take theory exams aswell. becoming quite experienced and can almost always read music well.
grade 6 = becoming REALLY good, fast stuff is no problem anymore, sound quality is great.
Grade 7 & 8 = same as 6 really, just even better.

after Grade 8 there is A.mus.A, which is the level required to TEACH music to other people of grade 4 and above.

then there's another A.mus. and i can't remember what it is, but thats virtuoso level.

there's a thread somewhere where Xiphsy posted some piano playing (think it was fathers composition or something) and he spoke about how he could play grade 8 Chopin :)
Image Cyberscore! Image
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

After the A.mus.A you have the L.Mus, which doesn't mean virtuoso, just another qualification (my cousin has this for piano and keyboards)

in another system (ARBSM i think) after A.Mus and L.Mus they have "F.Mus" which the repotiore for includes such works as michael finissy (shit music) and all sorts of stuff like the full Gaspard de la Nuit suite and Bartok's Sonata, basically some of the hardest music written.

Myself, the hardest piece I know completely (and have performed) is Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C-Sharp Minor, which is now quite a walk in the park to do, hard to believe it's in the A.Mus Repetoire. I play Beethoven's Moonlight sonata Mvmt 1 (grade 7) and 2 (ungraded), the third movement is next on my list, but probably won't acheive until quite a while longer. Other than that I only know completely two Grade 8 Syllabus pieces, Rubenstien's Melody in F and Jack Fina's Bumble Boogie.

I have a Fourth Grade exam coming around the corner (first exam) and the pieces are unbelievably easy, I can't wait to do it, because I believe I should then go for Grade 7 then 8 so I have something to start the Conservatory with. (Along with double bass)
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

i should get a paper too that tells me I don't suck :D :D :D :D :D
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

ahh thanks guys for the elaboration! :)

for guitar i'd say im around grade 4. and will be.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

ok i wanna hear you playing a solo, really do
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

sure, come around. I'll play err.. some george harrison lick-solo. :devil:

truth is, I don't have an electric at the very moment, I've been without one for over 6 months now. I guess you just have to believe I'm that good.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

tijs, i would be very interested for you to record a solo. I really encourage learning correct technique on the guitar as well, it's so so important!

I do have a friend (my age) who was a whiz at the piano, (French guy, h0h) and learnt Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu when he was 12! (~A.Mus level) He picked up guitar about two years ago and taught himself strictly technique, scales and improvisation, he is doing exceptionally well with guitar, but remember that people who pick up guitar to primarily start playing rock songs they know don't turn out to be good at all to be honest.

Would like to hear you do what you do though, always great to hear any talent!
itoanuak
Kuski

Post by itoanuak »

A.K.B. wrote:tijs, i would be very interested for you to record a solo. I really encourage learning correct technique on the guitar as well, it's so so important!
go to the fucking disco u have music for free there

ceriously lol @ playing piano u gays :D if my freinds knew that i play piano they would laugh me of loud and ez kill xD
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

then you must come from a nigger society
being able to jam freely in a band is one hell of a nice feeling. ez like getting high
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
itoanuak
Kuski

Post by itoanuak »

ceriously your nerdiness must be reatardous, gays

i mean like playing the guitar is okiz but like practising at home piano or such and then playing it somewhere or such is like ultranerd gay, ez kill sach
J-sim
39mins club

Post by J-sim »

Igge, your dad must be so fuckin' cool!
I read about Kräldjursanstalten in Forced Exposure, seems like they are somewhat of a legendary cult band. What did your dad play?
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Michael Maksymenko; Drums, Vocals, Vacuum-cleaner, Compositions and Coaching

vocals only cause on one else wanted to do teh, nothing he really wanted to do ;D
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Yesterday played a few songs with some people. We never played together before, did not even practise together as a whole, so it sounds rather stinky, but at the end of the first movie I play a "solo", as good as I could come up with. There were quite a few people there, I would say more than fifty.

Oh, and sorry if you think I'm terrible. I am, I know. But playing a solo on stage while standing is so fucking hard compared to noodling at home with the guitar on your lap. Second movie is a jam on the tetris theme (korobeiniki). The guitarist is a good friend of mine, but he really got owned by his nerves, as you can see. =)

Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyQpxZ6doOE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBHHRGkrhpE
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Oh, and the guitar was tuned in drop D, so that was FUCKING ANNOYING, because I'm not used to drop D. You see me making the same mistake every time ;s
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

lol you could have tuned it up to E :P easy
but maybe too nervous to think about that xD
itoanuak
Kuski

Post by itoanuak »

seriously, Tijs,

I'm amazed -_-
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

sik mr. tijsjoris yuo so pr0
wjelo
Kuski

Post by wjelo »

in the first video i liked the girl the most, kinda cute and sings not bas as well. the bassist looks like a young emo. tj, why no loose hait? you look greasy and nerdish that way, also the guitar is high and your scene moves o_O if you want audience to clap fakin raise your heands over your head and clap ;D not some weird nodding or whatever. nothing special about the playing

second video, your bass playing is not bad but the guitarist screws up so many times...

performing on a stage gotta be cool tho, how many ppl were there? i don't get how can you play together for the first time in front of an audience. is it like a jamming place/club where everyone can come and play together or something?
last.fm profile
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Yes, it's jam session night wiel, and it's nice music sometimes. There's a great lot of talent there, and I mean, really good players. Oh, and don't mind my stage act, I'm just being myself. You should see me with my sunglasses, god that would've looked cool. You probably never heard of john lennon, but he sure looked like a big geek too. :wink2:

The guitar straps were high, but GEES, it isn't mine. It was in drop D because this dude who's playing in the first song is the owner of it. As long as I'm having fun, it's okay. Audience was happy, that's cool. Secondly, I'm not a ramone. Have you ever tried playing normal, nonpunk songs on a guitar with the guitar on your knees? It's like playing football on your socks.

Xiph, wasn't really nervous, but don't feel like tuning this dude's guitar for this one song and retuning it for him after.
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

tuning a string takes 5 seconds and is a must
wjelo
Kuski

Post by wjelo »

then what's the point of havin long hair if you don't loosen it even for performing? go shave half of your head again :P

a lot of (like all of them?) rock players have guitars max low, obviously it's harder to play but possible even during very fast solos (like speed or power metal), sometimes at most they gotta lean it against their leg xD it's not that important though, you just look more like a jazz dude not a rocker, that's all

Lennon is a legend, you won't ever be, that's a small difference

and it is possible to play football even with bare feet (on sand) or ground, in africa\south america and so on even max talented players can't afford shoes during childhood, but that's not the point xD
last.fm profile
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Hihi, you obviously care for me wiel. :)

oh and xiph, if I try to tune a string like in 5 secs, I know that half of the time I will end up with a faulty tuned E. I know, that's just my lack of experience. For example, several times I've tried to tune my acoustic to a 440hz tone. When I later on borrowed a digital tuner from my neighbour, it seemed that everything was okay, but only by relative distance. All strings were the same bit too sharp. :blushes:
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

have an exam tomorrow. hardly studied, it's about 'the methods of musicology' and it wants me to answer questions like 'name 4 organisations that are active in musicology', 'put the following musicologist in chronological order' and 'what's the difference between lexicography in musicology and lexiograpy outside this field of humanity?'.

d'oh. *insert homer simpson icon here*
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

tijsjoris wrote:'what's the difference between lexicography in musicology and lexiograpy outside this field of humanity?'.
Apparently they take into account that non-humans may have a different definition of lexicography.
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

humanity in the sense of arts. Maths, physics and chemistry we call science. The study of history, language, culture etc. is called arts/humanity. That's what I read at least. :|
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Maths, Chem, Physics and Biology = Science
Geography, History, Music, Dance, Drama/Acting = Humanities
Architecture, Fashion etc. = Arts.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

dunno who you even were in the videos, the one who played both bass and guitar?
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

thanks smax for clearing that up. :)

oh zweq, I'm the guy with stripes sweater.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

OK! :) dunno should i watch you or that girl's boobs!
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

you can always watch it twice.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

itoanuak wrote:
A.K.B. wrote:tijs, i would be very interested for you to record a solo. I really encourage learning correct technique on the guitar as well, it's so so important!
go to the fucking disco u have music for free there

ceriously lol @ playing piano u gays :D if my freinds knew that i play piano they would laugh me of loud and ez kill xD
Disco's do not play music, I will state the fact that they only play noise. Piano is one of the most complicated instruments to master because of it's huge range of notes, max respect.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Nice to see you do play well tijs!

Oh, and tuning is not a problem. I remember watching a video of one of our seniors playing guitar live for his assessment, singing as well, and it was hilarious to watch him flawlessly retune the strings a few times without breaking the flow of his music at all! All it takes is practice I guess.

Why not do what you want to do?
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Yeah, that's the problem with practise. I can tune at home okiz, takes me about 2 mins to get it really without any pulses at all, but on stage with all noises, it's just too hard for me.]

Oh, and when I watched the video I was kinda ashamed of my bad playing, it's not really good, but I can't do much better at the moment. Just let me have some practise for a couple of years and I will be good at it.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Yes looks stupid maybe but people liked it =D I had hoped for more virtuosity from the guitarist, but it went shit instead so I resorted to the okay fuck it then mode.

Wednesday my first real exam about music. Subject is polyphony, gregorian and other medieval music. The real difficulty lies in the multiplicity of genres that seem to have so many in common that it is hard to distinguish them. Anyway, I should do better than this disaster of last week.
Raven
Moporator
Team: MiE

Post by Raven »

Could you post link for korobeiniki guitar tab :p
Seize the day
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Raven
Moporator
Team: MiE

Post by Raven »

ty, note that Guitar Pro is almost only bought (legal) program on my comp :wink:
Seize the day