Deletion of elasto mania wikipedia entry

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Zweq
34mins club

Deletion of elasto mania wikipedia entry

Post by Zweq »

actually noticed this over a week ago, but sveinr brought it up again on #across

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastomania
"(Deleted because expired WP:PROD; Reason given: Game hasn't had any significant coverage from a reliable, independent source. Whilst there are a few reader-submitted reviews on sites like Gamespot UK, there doesn't appear to be any professional coverage)"

basically either we need
1. The mikrobitti (the biggest finnish computing magazine) magazine that had the elasto mania review from 2000 (or any other "professional" coverage for that matter)
or
2. To assassinate the motherfucker

nah but more seriously, I'm asking if any finn here has mikrobittis from the year 2000? I had, but threw away about a year ago. A picture of the article should be enough, spread the word, ask your friends.

... unless of course, someone has a better solution, or can convince the user that deleted the article that the reasoning is invalid
western
Kuski

Re: Deletion of elasto mania wikipedia entry

Post by western »

the reasoning is valid. wikipedia articles should among other things work with "rigorous" references.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

seriously, that's fucked up. There's a whole bunch of reference, and that's this whole scene. Quick action by bureaucrat.
western
Kuski

Post by western »

it's not only that. the article was written by a single mind and almost no improvements were given at all.
Last edited by western on 4 Dec 2008, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

Anyone who's a current subsciber for Mikrobitti could check out these articles and take a screenshot?
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
western
Kuski

Post by western »

wikipedia wrote:Articles should rely on reliable, third-party, published sources with a reputation for fact-checking and accuracy, [but] proper sourcing always depends on context.
to my mind, the magazine reference would of course be neat to add, but the main thing that previously was lacking from the article was continuous development. plus, is a wikipedia article really necessary? ...most people googling elma will soon fall on the moposite page through the best times page anyway. /2 cents
Last edited by western on 4 Dec 2008, 21:42, edited 4 times in total.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

wikimafia will not accept that.
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Teh are exact copies of articles that have been in the irl magazine in the official Mikrobitti website, so asdfg if nat acceptable. :x
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
western
Kuski

Post by western »

surely posting the whole article would not be the best thing to do, but quoting important parts and combining this to rigorous and continuous development would sure prevent its deletion as while as judicious editors contribute to the "giving shape" of a quality article. if you're into it, and have the energy to spend on it, then go ahead.
Last edited by western on 4 Dec 2008, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

western, just shut the fuck up. Someone spent hours of their time working on that for some mofo nab to delete it lol.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
western
Kuski

Post by western »

well, maybe I have spent more time editing wikipedia than you yourself have spent reading it. you never know. ;)
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

yeah sounds exactly like the term "dotfucking" whatever might be the correct term in english for it, then again they have to draw the line somewhere, just like we would delete teh nab starting battle on warm up, right, RIGHT?

anyway, something that was found already: http://www.moposite.com/images/misc/030300.jpg. sometimes you just dont see the stuff right under your nose. But that's not the actual article from the magazine.

also I'm not sure I'm up to mailing someone I already hate, I'd rather just harrass him and fuck the wiki article tbfh. then again, it is probably not even necessary to contact him, just fix the "professional motherfucking coverage"

did you btw thought of why the hell did it have to be deleted instead of searching for the coverage by himself first. seems like just a "hey im a dickhead" move to me, probably related to akb. if he actually cared what's on wiki, he'd do research, but he doesn't.

and western why weren't the lacks you pointed out given in the reasoning then?

anyway i stopped caring now, fuck the article then, maybe someone is happy now. at least the discussion is on
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I think you're right zweq, and yes, why bother. Let them have their way with their elitist elitism.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Zweq wrote:also I'm not sure I'm up to mailing someone I already hate, I'd rather just harrass him and fuck the wiki article tbfh.
That surely would not be a good idea.
Zweq wrote:did you btw thought of why the hell did it have to be deleted instead of searching for the coverage by himself first. seems like just a "hey im a dickhead" move to me, probably related to akb. if he actually cared what's on wiki, he'd do research, but he doesn't.
I guess searching for that isn't his job: When putting an article up for proposed deletion users should respond if they object:
Wikipedia wrote:Proposed deletion is the way to suggest that an article is uncontroversially a deletion candidate, but that it does not meet the more stringent criteria for speedy deletion. If a ({{subst:prod}}) tag is added to an article, the article will be deleted about 5 days later if nobody objects. If any user objects—usually by removing the tag—then the article may be taken to Articles for Deletion for further discussion.
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

SveinR wrote:
Zweq wrote:also I'm not sure I'm up to mailing someone I already hate, I'd rather just harrass him and fuck the wiki article tbfh.
That surely would not be a good idea.
thanks for reminding, that indeed would be the fuckin idea of the century
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

roope wrote:Anyone who's a current subsciber for Mikrobitti could check out these articles and take a screenshot?
I checked those articles and they only have elasto mania in the list of 'most downloaded games' and no other references to elma, so they are kinda useless. It seems that they only have online magazines since 2003 so they don't have the old elma reviews from 2000. But if needed, I can scan the year 2000 article at my parents house in two weeks when I go there.
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

SveinR wrote: I guess searching for that isn't his job: When putting an article up for proposed deletion users should respond if they object:
Wikipedia wrote:Proposed deletion is the way to suggest that an article is uncontroversially a deletion candidate, but that it does not meet the more stringent criteria for speedy deletion. If a ({{subst:prod}}) tag is added to an article, the article will be deleted about 5 days later if nobody objects. If any user objects—usually by removing the tag—then the article may be taken to Articles for Deletion for further discussion.
well you can't really check all articles on wikipedia every five days to see if any are being unfairly deleted :\
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

zebra wrote:
roope wrote:Anyone who's a current subsciber for Mikrobitti could check out these articles and take a screenshot?
I checked those articles and they only have elasto mania in the list of 'most downloaded games' and no other references to elma, so they are kinda useless. It seems that they only have online magazines since 2003 so they don't have the old elma reviews from 2000. But if needed, I can scan the year 2000 article at my parents house in two weeks when I go there.
Ah, thought so but had to be sure. I threw my old Mikrobitti's away just a few weeks ago, dame :l
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I always found this magazine name really awkward sounding, to my nonfinnish ears it sounds like a teletubbie comic book.

erhm, back on topic then; I think zeb that would be a good idea. Are these articles archived after deletal anyway?
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

tijsjoris wrote:erhm, back on topic then; I think zeb that would be a good idea. Are these articles archived after deletal anyway?
I guess so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... d_deletion
Wikipedia wrote:After deletion

First, ask the deleting administrator. If they choose not to restore it, then make a request at deletion review. Any administrator may undelete upon a reasonable request, and they should also add an {{Oldprod}} tag to the Discussion page to document the restoration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... letions.27
Wikipedia wrote:Contesting 'proposed deletions'

Request this if the article was dealt with as a 'proposed deletion'. A 'PROD'-deleted article can be restored by any admin upon reasonable request. Such an article may still be deleted at articles for deletion or under the criteria for speedy deletion.
Rules | FAQ
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

The Elasto Mania article has been put back up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elasto_Mania

Sadly, it doesn't seem to be the newest version of it but at least it's there. So to ensure it won't be deleted again, we obviously should improve on it a great deal.
Rules | FAQ
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

i added the Online Content section, feel free to edit it how you feel neccesary, may add some more in next few days, any suggestions?
Image Cyberscore! Image
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Something I just found: I had no idea there existed an Elma clone for the Nintendo DS, but apparently there does: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=322307
I guess this also in some ways is a coverage of Elasto Mania in an independent source.

Possibly there should be a section about all these different clones in the article.
Rules | FAQ
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

SmaXa wrote:i added the Online Content section, feel free to edit it how you feel neccesary, may add some more in next few days, any suggestions?
I edited a little :)

Only some very little precisions and removed unnecessary capital letters, nothing big.
:mrhat:
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Bismuth wrote:removed unnecessary capital letters.
im a repeat offender
Image Cyberscore! Image
western
Kuski

Post by western »

some will just should aloud (page has been re-deleted).
Bismuth
Kuski

Post by Bismuth »

Western, I can't get what you say. It isn't re-deleted, and your sentence makes no sense.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

maybe some kind of a secret meaning? :P
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

The reason for the confusion is that there are/were two pages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elasto_Mania
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastomania
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Dicussion about deletion going on here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... asto_Mania

if someone could provide that article it would help I guess
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

"Kuukauden peli: Elasto Mania

Action Supercross oli aikanaan valtava suomalaispelaajien suosikki. Hurja, hupaisa ja mukaansatempaava motocross oli täydellinen esimerkki siitä, miten yksinäinen kotikooderikin voi nousta maineeseen. Tekijä on ollut pitkään hiljaa, mutta nyt selvisi syykin: Action Supercross on tehnyt comebackin Windows-kuorissa! Peli on ohjelmoitu uusiksi toimimaan moderneissa PC-mikroissa, ja onpa ulkoasuakin samalla koristeltu.

Perusidea on tuttu: pelaaja lähtee selvittämään kinkkisten ratojen koukeroita ketterä moottoripyörä allaan. Radat on ajettava päästä päähän etsien samalla niihin piilotetut bonukset. Vaikka pelin realismia voikin epäillä, on pyörän hallinta erinomainen esimerkki hyvin tasapainotetusta vaikeudesta, haasteesta ja etenkin hauskuudesta. Siinäpä polttomoottori putputtaa ja jouset kirskuvat, kun pelaaja taiteilee esteiden yli kerätessään vauhtia hurjiin hyppyihin. Hauskuus tuskin loppuu kesken, sillä mukana tulee myös kenttäeditori ja vanhat Action Supercross-kentät toimivat edelleen. Vaatii windows 95/98/2000, DirectX.

Suomalaisia faneja tekijä lupaa ilahduttaa myös kilpailulla, jonka kolme parasta saavat ilmaisen rekisteröidyn version. Kilpailusta saa lisätietoja osoitteesta [mailiosote]"

this is the original article from april 2000 mikrobitti magazine, it was chosen as the mini-game of the month.
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

Seriously who are those retards playing Wiki-policeforce all day long?
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Wikipedia wrote:The result was keep. The Helpful One 11:55, 18 December 2008 (UTC)
Rules | FAQ
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

Ok, I finally had time to search my old Mikrobitti magazines and scan the interesting pages. Here is the result.

In mikrobitti magazine number 10/97 there was a review of Across 1.1: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/Mikrobitti_1997_10.jpg
In the next magazine, 11/97, across was the most downloaded file of mbnet: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/Mikrobitti_1997_11.jpg
It was still on the list in magazine 1/98 and the next version, across 1.2 was 19. on the list in magazine 10/98. It was mentioned also in magazine 6-7/98.
In mikrobitti 2/99, Across 1.2 was voted as the 2nd best shareware game of the year 1998: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/Mikrobitti_1999_02_1.jpg and http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/Mikrobitti_1999_02_2.jpg

When Elma came in 2000, the version 1.0 was right away chosen as the game of the month in magazine 4/2000: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/Mikrobitti_2000_04.jpg
In the next magazine, 5/2000, elma was the most downloaded file of mbnet with a clear gap to the 2nd one: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/Mikrobitti_2000_05.jpg
In magazine 6-7/2000 it was 5. on the list.

These were the most important references to elma/across which i found from my old mikrobitti magazines. Luckily I have been subscribing it already back in 1997 :) Someone else can translate these to english if needed and/or add them to wikipedia.
Last edited by zebra on 22 Dec 2008, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

This is awesome to see elma in magazines!
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

Wander who won those elma full versions on that contest. :P
Sprocket
Kuski

Post by Sprocket »

I would recommend writing some more about the community and the fact that it's still very active even though the game was released all the way back in 2000. Maybe also add an entire section about Moposite and how it has become the "official" unofficial site that has helped keep the community alive.

And how about also providing a link to the world records movie that was made not too long ago? (2 years ago?)

Sprocket
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

Yes, the content of the wiki entry is quite weak considering its been ten years and several happenings. This could indeed be improved.
klisse
Kuski

Post by klisse »

Not sure where to post this but quite funny that Norways biggest newspaper is mentioning elma and across in an article.
http://www1.vg.no/spill/artikkel.php?artid=585138

k
Bismuth
Kuski

Post by Bismuth »

Translation please, it seems like it says something like "unlike elma with shit 2d, awesome trialbikeshitfuck with 2.5d owns the fuck out of everything"

Though I am most probably wrong...
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

"Some might have also tried classic flash games Elasto Mania and Action Supercross..."

my norsk isn't so fluent so dunno about rest o,o
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

roope wrote:my norsk isn't so fluent
Mange har kanskje testet flash-klassikerne «Elasto Mania» og «Action SuperCross». «Trials HD» er egentlig bare en høyoppløst og grådig lekker versjon av disse gamle traverne. I en spektakulær blanding av 2D og 3D - såkalt 2,5D - og med et alltid briljant banedesign, har den finske utvikleren RedLynx dratt spillsystemet med seg inn i denne generasjonen - med stor suksess.
Many might have tried the flash classics «Elasto Mania» and «Action SuperCross». «Trials HD» is actually just a high res. and (something) luscious version of these old (games?). In a spectacular mix of 2D and 3D - so called 2,5D - and with an always brilliant leveldesign (hu$hmu levs perhaps?), the Finnish developer RedLynx has dragged the gaming system with him into this generation - with great success.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Elma ftw always.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Bismuth
Kuski

Post by Bismuth »

Yeah those games are just plain stupid. Elma is something superior, it's metaphysic.
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

lols at calling elma and across flash games :DD
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

This is actually pretty sad. No place for laughing.