How did you find Elma?

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Ragnar
Kuski

How did you find Elma?

Post by Ragnar »

I'm just curious.
My story starts with a guy named Murray (not me). I was in Middle school at the time, 6th grade. In our school, during recess and after school you were allowed to play computer games in the computer lab. One day, Murray found a copy of "Across" in the "H Drive" of the computer. The H drive is shared by all computers, you are able to access it from any computer attached to the network. The game quickly spread, and everybody was playing it. You would hear people in the halls lamenting about tunnel terror. After a while, I went to the across website at my house, and I discovered it had an updated version: ElastoMania.
I took ElMa unto school the next day, and it caught on very fast. After a while, so many people were playing it, there became a problem. People were denying other students a copy of the game. Eventually, ElMa became so popular that it was banned from the school. Two years later all games were banned from the computer lab.

Some of my friends and I still play Elma, And I refer to the spread of Elma/Across as "The Great Invasion" or "The Kuski Invasion."
End story.

So how did YOU find Elma/Across?
Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

If you really want to know just read my interview (signature). I don't mind copypasting the story here because it's mixed under 3-4 questions.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
m0nkeii
Kuski

Post by m0nkeii »

i first found the demo when it was on my friend's compy. he was watching tv and since he lives in an apartment and it gets pretty boring there so i went on his ompy and was playing all these dumb games he had. he came in and told me to open elma so i did. he played warmup and i lmao. i just couldn't stop laughing. he told me the name for the game and i went home and d/led the demo onto my compy. i played it quite a lot among a few other games and eventually finished all the levels in the demo which was better than my friend had. i quickly forgot about elma as soon as i finished the demo but then i was speaking about it a while later to my friend and someone overheard me and said that he had it too. he had the full version which he got forwarded from someone at my school from the email he received from balazs.
i don't know the guy personally coz he's a few years above me in school but i heard that he didn't pay for the game, but gave balazs a bleeding heart story about how he couldn't afford to buy elma and balazs believed him, or maybe he didn't care but anyway he got the link and fwded it to me. i tryed to d/l it but i was compy illiterate at that stage and i couldn't get it to work. a while later some people were boasting about how they were up to level 50 out of 54 in this sick game elastomania. i decided to try to d/l again and it worked this time. i finished all the levels without skips before they finished with skips and had many happy times boasting about this :)
Last edited by m0nkeii on 26 Jan 2003, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
Image Click the m0nkeii! Click it! | A
| tt=47:31,02 | wc4= 100th |
onlainari
Kuski

Post by onlainari »

lol ragnar that's a nice story :>

My story is two-sided.
About august-september 1998 we were in a houseparty someone from our school,then I found someone playing across there,I noticed it,and also tried the game there,at that time I didn't have my own computer. After that I didn't play across for 2-3 months. We got our own PC around the beginning of november. I was excited about it and had formula1 etc games on it. Then maybe it was december 1998 we got internet,and then my little sisters friend knew how to get games from internet and she downloaded across to our computer,I saw my lil sister and her friend playing it and I recognized the game,I had seen it earlier. Then I started to play it. It was easy to get hook up cuz I used to rollerskate at those times (aggressive in-line skating) so was familiar with the BMX tricks also and wanted to try them on that game making own ramp levels in to the game. Then I just decided to beat all the levels in the game and after doing that I was quite average kuski already and didn't want to stop. Then also around december-january1999 I had learnt something about internet and I had ICQ and I found some elma players icq number,that was "kimitys" and I talked to him about his times and replays,and he adviced me to channel #across. And after #across you get to know anything what happens in scene....cha cha chaa
magicman
Kuski

Post by magicman »

I had math and my freinds talked about a cross game where u should pick all apples then go to the flower :) I was like lol ;) I had no idea how it would like, I had a picture in my head(still have) it's a cross going down a streat picking apples :) but it was'nt like that :)

then... l8er
it was around September 1998 in school we had picture and a freind wich name is Edward...
Showed me the game I was like omg I must dl this when I come home!!
I did, played some but it went bad so next week he learnd me how to hmm "superbrake" down-arrow+ side-arrow ... =)

Been playing since that ok!
Team: CF || wc4 pos. 6th || tt: under 42 duno || Metallica... ImageImage
Ky.Jelly
Flood to teh MAX

Post by Ky.Jelly »

it was the spoils of a miss spent youth, and well, it still is
[10:51:18] <skint0r> i could SACh see KyJelly working at ICA ;D
[10:51:37] <skint0r> "vad kostar denna?" "wtf ch0b0"
Thursday, March 2nd 2005, 0942 i was 3333 [4.43% of total / 3.25 posts per day]
Chris Penrose
Donator duck

Post by Chris Penrose »

I had to, for some reason, go and stay round my sister's friend's house for the night. I slept in her brother Ricky's room who I pretended to like.
Anyway, he had elma on his PC and I loved it. What really spoiled it was the fact that he kept on playing the same Linkin Park album over and over and OVER...
Anyway, I went home te next day and never thought about elma again.
About 2 weeks later however i was in the computer room at school and this fat ginger haired nerdy kid was sitting there playing elma. I approached him.
"Hey, Elasto Mania! Where did you get that from?"
"Elastomania.com" he replied, and rolled his eyes at me, probably because that was the thousanth time he'd been asked that question.
So I logged onto my settings on the computer next to him and downloaded the game.
I was instantly better than him, which pleased me because he seemed to think he was the best in the world.
Now i have elma on two of my home computers and have been playing it ever since.

Boy, what a great story.
Watch the birdy...
Sparrow
Kuski

Post by Sparrow »

i got across from a friend and played it a little.
then i found out that there is a new version of across and it is called elastomania. i couldn't find it as freeware on the net, and i don't have extra 10$ to give them for some game so i wrote a message to balasz and i asked him to let me have elastomania for free. he sent it on my email. :)
balasz rox :roll:
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

in about 1999, my big brother came home from scholl with a game he had gotten from one of his freinds...ACROSS
I started playing it and became better than him pretty fast...I had completed every lvl except 5 of them.
Some day we tried to goto the site writed when you quit the game, but it didn't worked :( BUT a while later I tried on my own to acces the site and now it worked :) (this must be anbout in 2000/01) so I saw that a new version was out.
Dload'ed demo...but of some stupid reason I first got registered version in the beginning of 2002...

anyway, thx big brother..
chux
Kuski

Post by chux »

I'll start by saying: why has this topic not been made before??

Anyway! I first saw Elma in school, and thought it was really funny, the bike turning etc.
I wasnt very good when i started, (lol, not much changed there then!) but it was really fun so i carried on...a group of us played it prety much every day, whenever we had a chance to get on a PC. I heard that some people had found a game called "Action Supercross" a few months before, but never really played much and that this was the newer version. I finished Islands In The Sky on my first attempt, this made me like it and to this day its been my favorite level. A few weeks later I saw james wheel hooking on Tunnel Terror, I was like :o! Somehow the Elma craze grew and grew, and now its overrun the school like a plague...but a good one.
They keep having to clean the school system because so many people download it, its gone so far that downloads have been banned :D Ah well, it's survived on a couple of PCs, youre just lucky if you know which ones :wink:
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.
Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
Red
Click0r

Post by Red »

I saw a friend play Across on his computer (and all his friends too). I thought I could give it a try. This was back in 1999, and I asked my friend if he could give me Across. Yes, of course, he answered.
Then Elasto Mania showed up sometime, and I got that from the same friend.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Ok, here goes:

In 1998-99, someone had installed Across to the "class computer" to my class at school. I only got to play it a little though, 'cause some guys always occupied the computer and played it (and they sucked.. :P ). Anyway, after that school year (final year of elementary school), I almost forgot about the game. In 2000, I asked one of my friends if he remembered the name of the game, and he replied "across". So I got home and downloaded the demo off of the internet. I also showed it to Are, my brother.
After one week, I got the Elasto Mania demo. After that I have almost never played across again...That was on the 10th of April, 2000. Me and Are both loved the game, and in May he bought the full version. He then gave the full version to me. And we both played the game immensely much...
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
jcl
Donator duck

Post by jcl »

We played alot long ago with across together with some friends, but nothing serious. Then I bought a hungarian games magazine, and as i browsed through the CD, i read that if I don't know Elasto Mania yet, I should try (it was MUe's Elma "corner" on the CD), so i did and thought OMG Across 2 :)
And started playing...
the weed fan club
Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

Actually I have always been wondering how many today's active players from Hungary are here because of MUe and his work with Elma (this magazine for example, I have some of them in my computer). Tell me :].
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
Dreams
Kuski

Post by Dreams »

I found Across on a shareware cd
jcl
Donator duck

Post by jcl »

Abula wrote:Actually I have always been wondering how many today's active players from Hungary are here because of MUe and his work with Elma (this magazine for example, I have some of them in my computer). Tell me :].
I guess more than half of us
the weed fan club
petsen
Meetsen

Post by petsen »

I went to a border school in 2001 and some guys had elma on their comp, and I had a lot of spare time and needed something to do... so I got elma full version from a guy called EV and everything was fine ;D
Proud Member Of RDK
MopoGirl
Kuski

Post by MopoGirl »

i was in one of the computer rooms in school on some class, don't remember, this was on september 2001 btw, and everyone were playing it cuz it was installed on the computer network, so i tried to and later when i got home i downloaded the demo and also showed it to Uzi my brother.
JAMES
Kuski

Post by JAMES »

i was randomly looking for games to download and i stumbled across 'across' and a few days later a friend found elma, and the rest is history.

ChuckleS: do you remember when i was really proud that i was the first person at school the complete the trial version, how crap are/were we :oops:
You can do anything in life, but you can't do everything.

Oh well...Shit happens!!!
Ky.Jelly
Flood to teh MAX

Post by Ky.Jelly »

i think almost everyone found it at skool, well i didnt (yah)
i think i saw it at a freinds place a few years ago but never played it, then one day when me and my mate Froginz were downloading minigames we found itm we both knew we had seen it b4 but couldnt place when or were, so we played it just casually and tried to finish all teh levels and once that was done we sort of forgot a bout it untill i was sick and was off skool for about 2 weeks wen i needed something to take away the boredom, then i discovered stats.txt and that was it i was hooked
[10:51:18] <skint0r> i could SACh see KyJelly working at ICA ;D
[10:51:37] <skint0r> "vad kostar denna?" "wtf ch0b0"
Thursday, March 2nd 2005, 0942 i was 3333 [4.43% of total / 3.25 posts per day]
chux
Kuski

Post by chux »

JAMES: Yeah I remember that...I was stuck on Tunnel Terror i think...I remember only being on about Double Trouble when Mikey had completed it...You were 1 lev away :D I never thought I'd catch up. ahh, good times...
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.
Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

Behind my LPs.
Elasto Mania - ez better
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

I found out about across in 7th grade, I thought it was cool so I downloaded the shareware and played the shareware for maybe one year. Then I got bored of it so I quit playing it. In the summer of 2002 I played elma for the first time at my cousin's house, downloaded the shareware of that too. After a few weeks i downloaded the game and I've played it since then...
KD
Kuski

Post by KD »

Wasn't there a topic like that? Or it was on old lauta?
My story begun on a cold saturday in february 2001. I was bored, veery bored, nothing to do, and in the PC GURU (hungarian gamer magazine) i tried every demos and other stuffs, except elma. So i thought hey, i have nothing to do, try this stupid stuff, so i installed the shareware version, and i got immediately addicted :D That's all, after this i bought elma cd, and therefore i have the full version legally ( ok, i dl'd it before)
Thinking is not entertainment but an obligation! - Strugatsky bros
Bonobo
Kuski

Post by Bonobo »

I think I found the shareware on a PC-GAMER CD. (swedish magazine)
I got the real version and had it on my computer a year or so. This summer I played a little again, and when Wcup started my life where worth living. :D
[TT=1:01.67] || < [AC] >, Go
Cna
Kuski

Post by Cna »

Found it on a PC-GAMER CD too :?
100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.
benson
Kuski

Post by benson »

I first played this game on a shareware CD. At that time, I even didn't know the structure of the game, I just knew to go to the tutorial level, and... the first level WarmUp in multi player (with my brother).
As you know, mult-playing cannot get you to the next level, so we don't know the game consisted of 18 levels at all! (shareware) I just "competed" with my brother for getting the flower in tutor1.lev

In the next year, my classmate visited us for doing project, he opened that game to play, and I eventually knew what it was! I was excited and began to play it. I didn't feel its graphics were a problem to me, I just addicted to the game.

We (3 of us) competed for best times. However in fact, we knew nothing about the game in the world, not knowing here and not having seen the professional replays. We just knew a little tricks in it, of course our time was slow...

It should be 2 years later when I found moposite. Then we were surprised, and downloaded the replays to learn. We found most of them insane.

9 months ago, we got the full version and started to play. At the same time, we also made improvements on the first 18 levels. We played that until now (stopped for a few months due to an important examination for us), yet the times are not good at all... partly (for me) due to harddisk crash which I lost about half of my internals.

I really want this game to be spread out, but it's too difficult. Most Hong Kong people only love online games, and famous games like NBA.
Raven
Moporator
Team: MiE

Post by Raven »

I saw elma in skool then in my friend's computer. Then i and my friend rND found moposite, then ez playing. I remember when i played loop De Loop and thought "OMGOMGOMG i got 20 low, only 2 seconds to wr..." :wink:

After playing externals, rND found #battle.. he said " OMG, we can play with all teh pros, we can make levels and they play it, then we can see the recs!" I was excited and I went to rND's house. I saw max recs and I made some, and played some bulle0rs.

After battles, rND called to me, and he said that he got WR (LOSLEVELS), I was liek OMGOMG and I started hoyling these and got one wr and external playing has begun 8)

plaaahhh, after Externals i found LOS Cup and played it. Got som 28. place and rND 26. My and rND's team [LS] got 8.place in team standings :)

--------------------------
Oh i just get inspired...
Seize the day