What catches my eye at the moment.

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

JaenZ
Kuski

What catches my eye at the moment.

Post by JaenZ »

Having searched for it some time I suppose such a topic is missing in this board.
The main idea about this thread is satisfying one's talkativeness which rises up when you come across things not being so important that they authorize you to open a new topic, but nonetheless are liked to be told by you. In another words: Tell what catches your eye at the moment. (But that should deal with Elma, as otherwise this topic would be banished into the Non-Elma-related-discussion-thread)

Well, in order to have a start: The "Elma Done Quick(ly)"-series by Skint0r at YouTube reaches 100.000 views a few days ago. (The first part, anyway.)
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Re: What catches my eye at the moment.

Post by Bismuth »

Zweq's 36.4x 24hTT is astonishing.
:mrhat:
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

Every topic that looks nice.
With explanation, not just like for example:

Hey, I have got a new bike! www.up.k10x.net/q324eresdfiasifrwge
ToMaT
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Did the bike come with an extention?
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

Igge wrote:Did the bike come with an extention?
:D
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

LOL igge awesome one :lol:
:mrhat:
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

This topic is properly fucked.
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

To make this topic less fucked let's post something on-topic.

What catches my eye at the moment, or what I've been thinking lately, is that how good the top Elma talents could be at some other, more profitable and known, stuff.

I guess these top guys really have pretty extraordinary talent for this because during soon some 10 years maybe even hundreds of thousands of people have got their chance to get hooked to this game and I think the more talent you've got for this, there is always the bigger propablity to like this. You know, you will then understand the funness and potential of these simple physics better and don't mind the simple graphics. The nabs go then play some more entertaining and beautiful nab 3D-games. And also maybe few thousands of players eventually have got hooked during the history of Elma so I think the top players have got filtered from pretty large group of people.

And now when I think the properties and aspects of talent an extraordinarily good Elma bike touch requires and also think which more known sport requires them too, motorsport comes to my mind. At both you've got simple controls with which you control your vechile and some great physics-understanding and reflexes are required. Only in motorsport you can change the physics by setting up the car. Also bit hungriness of attention is required in both to achieve the most (like in Elma the WR-table dominators and Hamilton in F1). So, could these top players have made it to the Formula 1 to earn millions if they had started driving karting as a kid? And to the another direction what WRs would we have if Kimi Räikkönen had played Elma instead?
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

lolwut?
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

quite obviously no. F1 has an aspect that elma doesn't, social skills. also personally i cant fit even in a damn normal car properly, at least not japaneze ;) (195cm tall)

raikkonen as pro elma player? ofc, if you have steep learning curve at one thing, why not at another
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

No offence meant, but Raikkonen would not make any WRs. This year more than ever, but in the past as well, Raikkonens main flaw has been that he only performs when he feels like it. Raikkonen has the potential and the car to win World championships easily, but does not have the motivation. In Elma, you NEED the motivation, you just have to be SO precise and so focused. Main thing in elma is patience.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

he doesnt have motivation you say, he doesnt try to do his best to win then? i would disagree.
he has a potential? most probably, yes. my guess is maybe his skills werent successfully developed? maybe someone in his life failed, didnt make him train? who knows :)
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

Zweq yeah, I thought that you wouldn't maybe be very suitable for that myself too. But maybe TorInge? Or some other from the biggest talents? I personally believe that yes, they propably would have had potential to drive there, getting there doesn't maybe even need THAT much talent I think, there's always been nab drivers with just good sponsors, they could have beated them at least. Pretty exciting to think that possiblity. And it actually still might not be too late for some; Loeb started rallying when he was 20+. GRob?

And Smaxa you clearly didn't understand the point of my post. I could have mentioned any other kuski there. But if we are going along this off-topic line, remember that success in F1 requires much more than driving well, there are tons of complicated factors. Like getting along with the team etc is important. And Räikkönen hasn't even driven that badly lately or does he? I can't see how he would have lost his skills in just few years.
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

Zweq wrote:quite obviously no. F1 has an aspect that elma doesn't, social skills. also personally i cant fit even in a damn normal car properly, at least not japaneze ;) (195cm tall)
Räikkönen has social skills then?

I do believe that both sports (Elma is a sport) require some similar skills, like nom listed, so why not.
Also I have noticed some other features some pro kuskis have in common, but don't know do F1 kuskis have the same qualities. Interest for math for example o,o
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

arent nerds (most sick hoylers) mostly mathematicians? o,o
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

nick-o-matic wrote: And Smaxa you clearly didn't understand the point of my post. I could have mentioned any other kuski there. But if we are going along this off-topic line, remember that success in F1 requires much more than driving well, there are tons of complicated factors. Like getting along with the team etc is important. And Räikkönen hasn't even driven that badly lately or does he? I can't see how he would have lost his skills in just few years.
Yes, talent is talent, but there are Incredible piano players, mathematicians and etc. that can be amazing at one thing (eg. Piano) and suck at another similar skill (eg. typing, or Guitar.)

Off-top: That's my point, his skill is still there. We all know that when Raikkonen is in the zone, he is unbeatable. He can come from a minute behind to win the race, the problem nowadays is he just doesn't give a fuck. Monaco last year, he was in 2nd? he lost it going through the tunnel, and butt-rammed Adrian Sutil, taking them both out of the race. Footage was shown LESS THAN 5 MINUTES LATER of him sitting in a tee, shorts and a cap on his luxury yacht in the harbour. He is an incredible driver, just doesn't care anymore.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

This topic is properly functioning again.

I like the thought of these analogies, and when you try to scale this down to only computergames you have an easy point to prove. Zweq pwns in elma, and also in that difficult ballgame.

Problem arises here. I know, from a friendish crowd of people who played Quake 3 as serious as we elmers do. At a certain point they were playing 5 nights a week for several hours to be the best team on the internets, and I've seen one dude of them playing a Quake competition without sight (and making dead meat out of his components). Either way, he pretty much made boom headshot in every first person shooter he could get his hands on. But he sucked at elma. No interest.

In the above mentioned example, we see one aspect of being good at something being a prevalent factor in success; interest (or you could call it motivation or dedication).

In the world outside of internet and computer games we can count on several sorts of other aspects being a factor in success. A lack of legs makes you a bad runner. Slow brains will probably not make you a chess champion. I think even there's a slim chance Michael Schumacher would be getting WR's as easily as the current top WR owners (spending as much time on it).

Still, the dominant factor is dedication if I'd go for my intuition. Too bad we are all too dumb to make a good thesis on this.