IMDB votelists

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Xiphias
39mins club

Re: IMDB votelists

Post by Xiphias »

Just heard about The Boondock Saints II - All Saints Day.. like wtf? How could I miss this? and it's already airing is some countries it seems.
The original one from 1999 is one of my favorite movies so this seems interesting. But I doubt it is as good.. how can it master the awesomeness of the first movie I wonder?.. Doesn't seem like this movie is coming to my local cinema so have to wait for the dvd-release.
Anyone seen it?
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

No but it sounds intriguing. Director Troy Duffy, according to imdb, has made only two films. Boondock Saints and Boondock Saints II. That is really cool imo.

Watched Electroma again. 10/10 easy.
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

Neko no ongaeshi / The Cat Returns - 6/10
I wasn't sure what to expect since we were supposed to watch Laputa at first. But Laputa was badly ripped and was missing a few audiochannels, pretty noob release. So anyway, The Cat Returns is another movie by Studio Ghibli, though not directed by Miyazaki. It's about a girl, Haru, who one day rescues a cat from being run over by a truck. It's revealed that this cat is a very important one in cat kingdom and Haru is rewarded with the best things a cat could possibly think of, the thing is Haru is human and want to put a stop to all the favors and gifts. To do so she is told she has to head over to the Cat Bureau and from there on it just goes even more surreal.

A fine piece of animation, slightly different style than other Studio Ghiblis visually. We got a few laughs and a nice little fairytale story. Rich in fantasy as Studio Ghibli-movies usually are. Haru was a good main character but I never really connected with the supporting characters and that's one of the reasons my vote isn't higher. The movie is very short too, one of the shortest full feature films I've seen, only 1h 11m.

So there goes my 800th vote. My 700th was made 28th of March this year. One movie every 2.1 day.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Up - 8/10
A very good movie, however I had some problems with the pack of talking dogs, can't explain why :p
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Angels and Demons: 10/10

9.5/10 rounded to 10. There's not much to say, in my opinion Angels and Demons is a most incredible book, an amazing cumulation of christian allegory and ingenious mystery, The amount of research and knowledge Dan Brown must have done is just phenomenal. several years after reading the book, i see the movie and i'm surprised how good it was. A lot of the connections Dan Brown made were there, and little time was spent on details such as the nonexistant character development in the book. This is a proper representation of the book, and shows just how much can be achieved by sticking to the plotline. it also surprised me how 'unhollywoodised' it was. Nowadays you see too many great plotlines ruined by Hollywoods idea of a good movie, and that jsut didn't happen, it was a brilliant addition of mystery and the knowledge of a true scientist.

probably sounds kinda of stupid, it's really hard to put into words what i think about this movie. But go read the book.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Haruhi wrote:Angels and Demons: 10/10

9.5/10 rounded to 10. There's not much to say, in my opinion Angels and Demons is a most incredible book, an amazing cumulation of christian allegory and ingenious mystery, The amount of research and knowledge Dan Brown must have done is just phenomenal. several years after reading the book, i see the movie and i'm surprised how good it was. A lot of the connections Dan Brown made were there, and little time was spent on details such as the nonexistant character development in the book. This is a proper representation of the book, and shows just how much can be achieved by sticking to the plotline. it also surprised me how 'unhollywoodised' it was. Nowadays you see too many great plotlines ruined by Hollywoods idea of a good movie, and that jsut didn't happen, it was a brilliant addition of mystery and the knowledge of a true scientist.

probably sounds kinda of stupid, it's really hard to put into words what i think about this movie. But go read the book.
I really like the book, but I'm afraid of watching the movie after having seen the da vinci code. If you can tell me that you disliked that movie, but still loved this one, then I'll watch it.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

i haven't seen nor read the da vinci code, so i can't say that. However let me say the Angels and Demons movie isn't bad. it isn't the usual hollywoodised plot changing that goes on, there are a few small changes for the use of making it better viewing and a few missing details, but it's not bad.

**SPOILER**

You've read the book? the biggest difference is that the fight scene between Langdon and the assassin in the fountain at 'water' isn't there.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Haruhi wrote:i haven't seen nor read the da vinci code, so i can't say that. However let me say the Angels and Demons movie isn't bad. it isn't the usual hollywoodised plot changing that goes on, there are a few small changes for the use of making it better viewing and a few missing details, but it's not bad.

**SPOILER**

You've read the book? the biggest difference is that the fight scene between Langdon and the assassin in the fountain at 'water' isn't there.
I've read the book twice, and I find it kinda sad that they excluded that part. However, I'll give it a shot. brb donga ->
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

The House Bunny - 4/10
Had a few laughs but the whole movie just follows "rom-com moviemaking for dummies" guidebook, whole plot is obvious before movie even begins. Didn't expect a masterpiece though :p
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Pulse (2006)
6/10
Pretty ok movie, kinda creepy =D , Kristen Bell definately raised one star herself since she is one of my favourite female actors =)
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Ok, so I just finished watching Angels and Demons. First off, it was a great movie. Had I not read the book before I would probably have given it a 9. It was exciting from the beginning to the end, and the concept itself was really good.

However, having read the book, I still think it's a great movie, but I can't help feeling they left out too much. I mean, they didn't even include the last anagram, which blew my mind the first time I saw it, and still does! It was also a bit fast-paced, but I guess that's bound to happen when you translate a book into a movie. Nevertheless, it was a good movie, and since I would give the book a 9, I would have to give the film an 8.

But do yourself a favor - read the book (first)!
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

Kung Fu Panda - 10/10
changing rating from 7 after seeing it in the context of a coaching training :D could relate to it so much and identify people around me as characters from the movie :). and it's really absolutely hilarious, with an all star voice cast.
39:37,91
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Jappe wrote:http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=43521917 my votelist, maybe 50% of all i have seen rated though
Besides the fact that you put Kill Bill 2 and Titanic in the same class as Home Alone 3 (2/10), your movie tastes are quite similar to mine.
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Baby's Day Out(1994):6.5/10
Basically, the story of a baby who's kidnapped by three guys and how those bad guys try to catch him around the city. As soon as you get in the movie, you kinda feel that Home Alone vibe and how surprising, the director is John Hughes (writter of Home Alone 1 through 4) so if you are familiar with the serie, you know what to expect from Baby's Day Out. The vilains are really quite amusing and funny, 2 of the 3 are really dumb and they should all be dead by the end of the movie but as you'd expect, they are all fine with some simple back or head aches after falling down 10 floors into a garbage container. The baby is cute and, how he manages to crawl around the city without no one noticing, you just have to let it be. The movie's funny and enjoyable if you are in for some simple comedy.
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

3/10 for the godfather
you must be joking, bro
39:37,91
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

The Getaway - 8/10

Edit: I put "I'm a cyborg but that's ok" on download. I have no idea what to expect but it has coal looking cover ;o anyone seen it?
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

John: All Films by Park Chan-Wook are good.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Darkness Falls - 4/10
"A vengeful spirit has taken the form of the Tooth Fairy to exact vengeance on the town that lynched her 150 years earlier. Her only opposition is the only child, now grown up, who has survived her before."
Not that exciting movie, pretty stupid at times, acting was rather bad. It had a few scares but most of them were just things flashing by really quickly accompanied by some heavy banging from the orchestra. I didn't find the tooth fairy very scary either, and seeing her such often didn't improve scaryness.

The Ring Two - 5/10
Not as good as the first american version (which I somewhat enjoyed, believe it or not), but this is more far-fetched and kinda twists and turns to get it right in the end. However, it doesn't become interesting. The CGI-Samara wasn't as scary as the real Samara in the first movie.

I heard that Paranormal Activity was quite good. Could anyone confirm this? It has premiere soon and I might go see it.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Twilight - 5/10
Wasn't as special as all teenage girls make it seem ;( Kept me quite interested still and I was considering putting a 6/10.

I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK - 8/10
Quite slow-paced but really crazy, fun and cute ;o Great characters, one even more crazy than the other, quite playful storytelling (a bit similar to Amélie at times). Totally different from Lady Vengeance, the only film I've seen made by the same director, but apparently he can handle comedy/romance as well. Got a few laughs.

Nice hearing you liked Moon, Jappe. Definitely interested of seeing teh too.
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Watched 2 halloween movies:

Saw 5 (2008) : 5.4 / 10
Well, this movie series is really getting out of hand. I love the first one, i like the second one and it went all downhill from there. I won't even bother talking about the movie because you can all figure out exactly what will happen. What i disliked about the most recent Saw movies is the focus on the gore. Don't get me wrong, i love gore in movies when it has its purpose and when it adds on to the story. If you take a look in the past, there wasn't really much gore in the first movie, you barely saw anything. Now, it seems they don't care about making an interesting story, they just trap people in the same room together because they are "somehow related" and then they kill each other. And again, what made the first one so great is that the idea was new; now it all looks the same every year.

I know i will have to watch the 6th movie because i've watched the 5 previous and i know i'll enjoy it to a certain degree but i sure am not looking forward to it.

Trick 'R Treat (2009) : 9/10
"Four interwoven stories that occur on Halloween". This is some sort of horror anthology movie based around the theme of Halloween. In my opinion, this is one the best Halloween movies i've ever seen. I am not saying the movie is great, nor brilliant. I just think of this movie as a perfect flick to watch on a dark night of october/november. I've read some reviews about the movie being slow and lacking of explanations; i believe that's what make the movie so chill. There is some character developpement, lots of weird stuff going on and each story lasts maybe 20 minutes so in my opinion, it's not boring at all. Also, be prepared for anything, the movie does explore all the myths of Halloween. The movie is not all that scary, not that gore, but i really loved it. Oh, and i loved that Sam character!
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

The Visitor (2007): 9/10

It's like one of those boring dramas, except this one's not boring.
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

ToMaT
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

John wrote:Ponyo on the Cliff - 9.99/10
I didn't become disappointed even with my high expectations. Miyazaki has made another masterpiece. Just a great pleasure to watch.
I saw this film and almost couldn´t bear it. It was so beautiful. Adventurous. Lovable. It is such a positive film that I was going nuts on my sofa. It is indeed a masterpiece. There are so many amazing scenes. What the fuck. I always wish to be a kid when watching Miyazaki, then easy 100/10, now being a very cool adult, who wears baggy pants and gets drunk in clubs I say 9/10.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

insane guy wrote:
John wrote:Ponyo on the Cliff - 9.99/10
I didn't become disappointed even with my high expectations. Miyazaki has made another masterpiece. Just a great pleasure to watch.
I saw this film and almost couldn´t bear it. It was so beautiful. Adventurous. Lovable. It is such a positive film that I was going nuts on my sofa. It is indeed a masterpiece. There are so many amazing scenes. What the fuck. I always wish to be a kid when watching Miyazaki, then easy 100/10, now being a very cool adult, who wears baggy pants and gets drunk in clubs I say 9/10.
Have you watched Tonari no Totoro?
Raven
Moporator

Post by Raven »

Danny Deckchair (2003): 7/10
"An Aussie becomes a national sensation when he lifts off in his deck chair tied to balloons."

Little Nicky (2000): 5/10
"A movie about the independent minded son of Beelzebub and the mischief he creates."

The Boat That Rocked (2009): 8/10
"A period comedy about an illegal radio station in the North Sea in the 1960's."
Seize the day
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Stardust - 6/10
Weak 6. Sugarcoated kind of fairytale. What I liked about this movie the most was some of the characters. Robert de Niro was max, so was the brothers who fought for the crown. They all gave me a few laughs and saved the otherwise pretty average movie from a lower vote.

Moon - 6/10
Dont know what to say really. Nice concept but didnt appeal that much to me. Strong performance by Rockwell.

dame watched a third movie the past week but cant remember :/
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

I Love You, Beth Cooper 9/10
Four Christmases 6/10
(500) Days of Summer 8/10
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

I Love You Man: 7/10

had some quite funny parts in there.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Put some classics on dload:
North by Northwest - the crop-duster scene just randomly popped up in head and I decided to see the whole movie
The Jazz Singer - considered one of the first movies with proper sound (and how can you resist a movie with a cover like this)
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

From what i remember, i absolutly loved "North by Northwest". Thought it would be very slow as it was made in the 50s but it was a very exciting movie.

Damn, i have so many movies left to watch but no time. Next movies i'll watch:
- GhostDog
- Donnie Darko
- The Chase
- Fear and loathing in las vegas
- Evil Dead 2
- Nick of time
- The last boyscout
- Point of no return
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Oh my god, you haven't seen Donnie Darko or Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas?
Brilliant movies both of them, ez 9/10 or 10/10
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Donnie Darko is one of the few movies I've re-wached immediately after finishing them the first time.
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

John Rambo aka Rambo aka Rambo IV

what the fuck? most violent and shortest movie ever. I dont know what to think of it. Maybe 5/10 because it´s just half of a film.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Stockholm Film Festival programme - click on "Alfabetiskt" to see all movies

dame how I wish I would be living in Stockholm right now :/
I haven't watched many trailers but that Adam seems like could be fun.
Check also Black Dynamite
Precious
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

How can you not love the classic Rambo? omg? It's so f'ing awesome it's ridiculous :P
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

I just saw 2012. Oh my fuckin god.

The plot, i guess, is not that special. It's your basic road trip story, only brought to the extreme. But still, not that special.

No, this movie wasn't about "plot" at all. It was all about graphics.

I was blown away by the magnificent CGI in this movie! It's beyond fuckin belief how awesome and powerful the scenes were. Really. I can't even begin to describe my thoughts during some of the most amazing scenes I have ever seen.

Epic.
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

True? Worth go see?
:mrhat:
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Just watch the trailer.

Now imagine watching that in a cinema.
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

I can only agree to igge, simply amazing movie. 9/10
Bismuth
Kuski

Post by Bismuth »

Yeah maybe I'll go see. Seems quite mind-blowing.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

North by Northwest - 8/10
Solid movie which despite it's age (yes older movies are harder to sit through) kept me interested all the way. Thought it was cool that Hitchcock had a cameo during the first 2 minutes already and that Thornhill was whistling the theme from Singin' in the Rain. Those are only sidenotes though. The movie was a great mix of several genres; suspense, drama, romance, even a few funny scenes (like when Thornhill entered the unknown woman's room, their reactions made me laugh :o ). Don't really have anything to complain about when it comes to directing (like I could judge it anyway) or acting. The acting was a bit different from today but it's been 50 years which is like half the span of moviemaking almost. Cary Grant was the best, playing the average Joe going ninja/James Bond. Recommended! and now I've finally seen the crop-duster scene in full length o/
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Jappe wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW2qxFkc ... re=related if you havent seen this is pretty good trailer about 2012 too
Like I said, that is pretty much why you see this movie, yeah. Nice trailer.
Raven
Moporator

Post by Raven »

Igge wrote:I just saw 2012. Oh my fuckin god.

The plot, i guess, is not that special. It's your basic road trip story, only brought to the extreme. But still, not that special.

No, this movie wasn't about "plot" at all. It was all about graphics.

I was blown away by the magnificent CGI in this movie! It's beyond fuckin belief how awesome and powerful the scenes were. Really. I can't even begin to describe my thoughts during some of the most amazing scenes I have ever seen.

Epic.
gonna go watch it to the cinema in few hours
Seize the day
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

I will too if some days
ToMaT
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

if some days what?

Ill go watch it tonight or tomorrow night :O haven't watched the trailer, 'cause I hate seeing everything in the .. rumour is enough and I heard it is awe =o
Raven
Moporator

Post by Raven »

2012: 9/10

An epic adventure about a global cataclysm that brings an end to the world and tells of the heroic struggle of the survivors.
Seize the day
Bismuth
Kuski

Post by Bismuth »

I just remembered I was supposed to go see it tonight.
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Arlen Faber (2009) 6/10
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Whatever Works - 5/10
Woody Allen-flick about a cynical, pessimistic dude named Boris. Self-proclaimed genius with nightly panic attacks. He is about 55-60 and his path cross with the path of a 21 year old runaway girl from Mississippi. She moves in, they learn to live with each other and both make an impact on the other. Soon enough her parents find her and a criss-cross of relations is underway.

Objectively I would say it's a good movie but personally it failed to keep me really interested. If that made any sense...
bob
Kuski

Post by bob »

Slumdog Millionaire - 7.5/10
to be honest, i was expecting more. was a decet movie though.

The Black Balloon - 7.5/10
"All Thomas wants is a normal adolescence but his autistic brother, Charlie, thwarts his every opportunity. Will Thomas, with the help of his girlfriend, Jackie, accept his brother?"
Finally a half decent aussie movie.

i haven't seen 2012, and don't really want to. i hate disaster movies, they are all just unrealistic.
mcleod