Level designing

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

eL
Kuski

Level designing

Post by eL »

i'm a total n00b in elma (still on downhill) and in levelmaking (only 5 levels ready, but me thinks they're not to bad :wink: ) . So, i'd like to ask, what do YOU think about how a perfect level must look, and just how to make it good. :?:
PS why can't i "cannot vote in polls in this forum"?
The fact that bob isn't banned proves that even Abula makes mistakes...
eL - the n00best n00b of all n00bs
Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
Antz
Donator
Team: Quack

Post by Antz »

i like "the kill everyone project" because there ppl can stick a noob sticker on a person who asks noob questions. in general forum polls aren't possible. it says that in the whatever-faq this forum has. u should go read it. about the perfect level, go to moposite -> downloads -> levels -> Level designing tips stuff. tells good info about good levels.

i myself like to drive ez levels that can b completed wiv 1 or 2 tries. but on the other hand i like to make levels that are hard and require thinking&skill to get through. i rarely have patience to hoyl some external in e.g. empacks with no use in making a good time (no place to send it, no known ppl to try and beat)
onlainari
Kuski

useful secret areas!!!!!

Post by onlainari »

this msg is linked to juish's jubounce topic. And I use jubounce.lev as an example for my topic. Download the jubounce.lev and you see what i'm talking about.

A tip for levelmakers for more fun. Just like in jubounce level,there's alternate path to secret area just after crucial part. That makes the level double more fun. If you don't get the bounce good...you can spend your time to beat the caves down there.

I played the level today...after bounce I watched the clock and if I was behind my best-time I continued to the caves and tried to make the secret area... it was though too easy...if it was more advancing it was more fun even.. But then again,the path when it separates shouldn't be too long to secret area maybe or should it ?

So have you guys noticed any similar levels? I know there are many of these already that uses secret area wisely,I may have played them,but I can't remember them at this moment. Yeah in internal STEPPES would be one if the pole was higher and we had to go around with the old way..,or maybe the path separates at too distant,blah blah,not making too much sense,just typing,but, uknow what I mean .....jubounce.lev is absolutely PERFECT level in this case...
J-sim
39mins club

Re: useful secret areas!!!!!

Post by J-sim »

onlainari wrote: So have you guys noticed any similar levels? I know there are many of these already that uses secret area wisely,I may have played them,but I can't remember them at this moment. Yeah in internal STEPPES would be one if the pole was higher and we had to go around with the old way..,or maybe the path separates at too distant,blah blah,not making too much sense,just typing,but, uknow what I mean .....jubounce.lev is absolutely PERFECT level in this case...
I think Jeppes WC406 level had something like this (I haven't played Juish's lev yet so im not sure). There was that secret area behind the flower. In that level the 2nd or 3rd apple, cant remember, was easy to miss but it was a very fun lvl to just cruise in and then you could get to the secret area with different routes also. But you could also just go there if you knew your time was bad (as you said) and then "fly" over the last apple and go towards the secret area. + one more possibility f you missed the last apple (Karlis knows all about this i think :( ) you could go to secret.
all in all a very well placed secret, though the secret part in itself wasnt that fun.
Ragnar
Kuski

Fuida

Post by Ragnar »

Look at some of Fuida's and Oliiz's levels. They are two very good levelmakers.
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

If I should point out some leveldesigners it would be:

Toaster: Just sooo nice detailed levels.
Olliz: It's really rare to drive his lvls.

That they are detailed is quite important I think.
AND they should be quite easy to play...but some hard levels once in a while is good enough
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

It's rare to play his levels?
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

SveinR wrote:It's rare to play his levels?
whatever...the best english word i could fix....RART on danish..translate yourself
Ragnar
Kuski

Post by Ragnar »

mabye you mean it is very hard to finish his levels?
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

nope, I mean something like they're good to play or whatever
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

rart in Norwegian is the same as weird, but I guess in Danish it's maybe the same as in Swedish, which is fun
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

now I got it:

they are nice to drive...no sounds lame...but nice is the word I think..
Rigger
Donator duck

Post by Rigger »

SveinR wrote:rart in Norwegian is the same as weird, but I guess in Danish it's maybe the same as in Swedish, which is fun
rart = nice/fun and maybe others

e.g.
It's nice to cuttle with your gf ... or ...
It's fun to play in the snow
... just helping out :roll:

\-Rigger
aka: Rig, Riggy, Rigster, Rigg0r, DanShark, R0gst0r, Rocker and many many others
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

In this context, rare means "rare experience"
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

anyway, olliz levels are just great
same i think of ville j , maybe even better, but a lot people dont like em....
KD
Kuski

Post by KD »

Ville J lev rocks. But i like Zenith's levs too, and maybe Suppa's. They both are hungarianz.
Thinking is not entertainment but an obligation! - Strugatsky bros