Two Short Films

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

A.K.B.
37mins club

Two Short Films

Post by A.K.B. »

My friend and I created two short Films earlier on this year for a film festival, both having us act in it as well as myself compose and play the soundtracks.

We are obviously amateur at film, and don't have access to an HD camera etc, however I thought we did a reasonable job.

Film 1: A Lonely Moment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7abJoNkKQo

Rob felt compelled to create a film about drink driving, as he feels very strongly about it. We did many different shots and worked through a night to complete it.

Film 2: Photographs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90uz2nXcXa8

This film was shot in a day and the score was problematic (I prefer the other composition) but I feel that we did a decent job with what we had.

_____

If we could get some general feedback on how you liked it, here or on youtube, we'd appreciate it heaps! (though criticism is a bit redundant at this point)

Please excuse any and all cliche-esque bits and enjoy! :)
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
abruzzi
Kuski

Re: Two Short Films

Post by abruzzi »

Wow, Samuel you're perfect!

The first movie is good, and the second one... I almost cried, i had lost a friend too once a day... I honestly hope you'll get appreciated!
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Thank you very much Berh! Glad you enjoyed them. :D
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Second one was the only one i fully watched (can't focus on first one right now, will watch later) and it was amazing. Only criticism is perhaps you could have used a better camera or better lighting for the parts where robbie changes photographs. Score was great! Can you upload the other score you were thinking about?
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Haruhi wrote:Second one was the only one i fully watched (can't focus on first one right now, will watch later) and it was amazing. Only criticism is perhaps you could have used a better camera or better lighting for the parts where robbie changes photographs. Score was great! Can you upload the other score you were thinking about?
When I said I liked the other score, I was referring to the score for the other film, sorry for not being clear. :blushes:
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Right hand is great except for the triplets which i disliked and notes in the highest octave on piano (they never sound good, especially in a sad piece, to me.) - I loved the rest of the melody though. Chords were nice but seemed kinda not right, the performance was great, and i mean really good. bravo.

However i disliked the sudden cut in/cut off of music. You can hear when the audio is turned on and off.

great video, that one, as well.
Image Cyberscore! Image
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Yes, the audio was poor, apologies for not having recording equipment to work with, just camera microphone. (and yeah, poor editing for the audio cutoff) You may say the chords were odd, I kept the suspended notes in some chords to get a thicker texture and I intend to use this "slightly off" sound to my advantage, and it has become somewhat a musical signature of mine, especially for string pieces. My signature chord (for an example I'll put it on C) is: Cm7+sus2+6, usually with a low bass C.

Also, when you say triplets do you mean quadlets? The piece is in 6/8 and I use quadlets (or tuplets of 4) in some parts as a way to convey instability.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

abruzzi wrote:Wow, Samuel you're perfect!

The first movie is good, and the second one... I almost cried, i had lost a friend too once a day... I honestly hope you'll get appreciated!
You lose friends once a day? That's horrible.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

A.K.B. wrote:My signature chord (for an example I'll put it on C) is: Cm7+sus2+6, usually with a low bass C.
Do you mean C, Eb, G, Bb, D, A? If you'd play that all at once, sus2 wouldn't be called a sus2 but just a 9th resolving downwards, and while you're at it an A half diminished 7th with a ninth and a eleventh in first inversion, but I guess it depends on how you treat those dissonants. Either way, when you play a 3rd and a second at once, you cannot speak of a sus2.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Who the hell came up with this mango system?
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

=D

with such a question, you could be a musicologist.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Well, I generally use:

C2, C4,D4,Eb4,G4,A4,Bb4

All in one chord, so what would you call that?
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

It depends on context, you're probably playing it as a C minor chord,

so yes, a C minor 9th chord, with 6th or a 13th; which is why functional harmony will make this an A chord, going from A all thirds up. A 13th only exists if there's a 7th, 9th and 11th above it. They never heard of a C6 in the common era, since that would equal to a Am7/C; A minor 7th in first inversion (strictly: A minor minor 7th).

So to make a proper analysis is to make a reduction of the notes; if this chord goes to G7, this would be called a C minor. Your Bb flat would resolve to A, your Eb could to F, your C4 step down to B natural, and the bass to G2. Then we'd have a proper G major minor major ninth chord, which should go to C minor again, the A going to G, and the F to Eb.

But, you can always divert from these, and you obviously do, since this applies to certain types of music in a specific time only. But I assume you would do some stuff like this in cadences. The whole point of this theory is that people were excessively putting dissonances on accented beats, stretching the borders of functional harmony, eventually going into atonality; jazz owes a lot to the romantics, but you can recognise several different ways of treating dissonances in that music too, over time and in written versus oral tradition.

Anyway, this is truly beyond the scope of this topic.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

[quote="teajay"][look up][quote]

Well I use it as a stand-alone chord in my string romance, not resolving, only changing into other chords of similar texture. Besides, have you ever heard of an "add2" before? :p
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

AKB wrote:
Also, when you say triplets do you mean quadlets? The piece is in 6/8 and I use quadlets (or tuplets of 4) in some parts as a way to convey instability.
sounded like triplets, i didn't analyse it strongly, the part at 1:34 (and other times throughout the piece.)

Although listening today the chords and triplet (tuplet) parts sound fine. rather had problems with the part with the same rhythm as the melody but different notes (mainly 1:09)
Image Cyberscore! Image
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

A.K.B. wrote:
teajay wrote:[look up]

Well I use it as a stand-alone chord in my string romance, not resolving, only changing into other chords of similar texture. Besides, have you ever heard of an "add2" before? :p
add2? it's called add9 if anything ...
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Usually it is called add9 because it is an actual ninth above the bass, but look here: http://www.jazzguitar.be/steely_dan_chords.html

But like AKB said, he doesn't seem to resolve it in any traditional way (though I think what actually happens might be interesting to look for resolutions; one could make a schenker-analysis and find some pretty sturdy harmonic basis).
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Regardless, I see many add2 chords in popular music books etc.
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

Steely Dan ftw
:mrhat:
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Bismuth wrote:Steely Dan ftw
Just posted a SD piece on "Rate the song above" and thought of searching "Steely Dan", if anyone has posted something about them here. Apparently you did, 2 days ago. :wink:

Sorry for offtopic. :D
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?