Starcraft 2

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

User
Kuski

Starcraft 2

Post by User »

anyone playing? people in EOL chat talked about it so im sure few people here play. im playing in EU server, my nick is splash and character code is 704. terbo and igge also play at least. would be nice to play some team games or practise 1v1 (im low diamond and i suck)
Death
Kuski

Re: Starcraft 2

Post by Death »

i play :)
but im on useast, damn it
acc name: fcc and # is 423 if any one plays useast..
MAWANE BUY SC2 YOU NERD, you too boneless
Kazeta
Kuski

Post by Kazeta »

where i can dl this shit for free¿
TT: 47:40,88
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Anyone watching wcs now, such awesome games today. Slovenian Rookie almost beating korean world champion :D
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
Memphis
37mins club

Post by Memphis »

Playing Starcraft 1. Clearly I stick to older games playing elasto and SC1. There lots of cheats in SC2? Never tried it but may have too. SC1 has always been pretty fun but definitely kills a few hours if you don't rush pretty quick.
Religious Man
|| TT: 37:47:70 || EX New Wave WR + Animal Farm WR || 24 Canadian Records || TEC Bronze Medal || HHIT in the 37min club || http://elastomaster.tripod.com/
||
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Haven't seen any cheating in SC2as far I remember. SC1 has many cheaters, and its all custom games there, while SC2 has matchmaking according to skill class. Starcraft 2 is definitely worth playin if you like and have playd the first. They didn't change gameplay or characters significantly, basicly the same game only better, like a perfect sequel should be. I was very sceptic when first tryin it, but it hasn't disappointed in any way. Also fun to play story which is continuing from brood war 1998. Classes are still only protoss, terran and zerg. Balanced as good as sc1, tho I miss the time before updated patch in sc1 when zerg rush was easy :P

There are also all these homemade custom games, like tower defense and such, with more possibilities makin minigames. One new minigame I really liked was "The Thing" which is like the movie. every player is a marine with one life and one player gets to be the thing and can transform into any colour of the players it has killed, also can chat in the dead players names. Real scary if you find partner and he transform into monster and tryin to kill you. It's Fun being the thing yourself and makin whole team kill the wrong player.

Such great classic :D
Memphis
37mins club

Post by Memphis »

hmmm, might have to check it out. Usually like sticking to my older games but if you are saying that its very even classes like the first one may be worth hitting up.
Religious Man
|| TT: 37:47:70 || EX New Wave WR + Animal Farm WR || 24 Canadian Records || TEC Bronze Medal || HHIT in the 37min club || http://elastomaster.tripod.com/
||
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Memphis wrote:hmmm, might have to check it out. Usually like sticking to my older games but if you are saying that its very even classes like the first one may be worth hitting up.
It's MORE balanced that SC1 was and is an undeniable improvement on the game.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

It's so hard to talk about balance in a game like StarCraft. The best example is sAviOr in SC1 who at a time when every top Zerg was struggling against Terran, and Terran top players showed a 70-90% win rate against Zerg, was the only Zerg to not only play well against terran, but to absolutely dominate them. On maps where Zerg showed a win-rate of 25%, he alone had a win-rate of 87%. So how can you tell if a game is balanced, if all top zergs lose badly against one particular race, and on most maps in the map pool, if there's still a single one that dominates on the exact same conditions?

It might be true though that SC2 is better balanced, but at the same time I think that might be because the developers made it easy for themselves. I don't watch the game that much anymore, but whenever I do watch I still see the "deathball" syndrome, and with deathballs it's not hard to make any race viable, since it's all about initial position during a battle rather than carefully executed micro, counter-attacking, flanking and the kind of moves you'd see in SC1. Often the two players just mass up a 200/200 deathball, one gets a slight upper hand and just steamrolls to victory.

Don't get me wrong though, I absolutely love SC2. I've played it for countless hours, and watched it even more. I've been to several dreamhack events just to watch SC2, I've been to barcrafts, I've spent entire nights at a friend's place just to watch the game. It really is fun to watch! I just can't help feeling a bit sad some games where I imagine what could have been done in SC1 about a certain position, that's simply not possible in SC2.

If you like SC1 however, you probably won't dislike SC2. They're both great games. Perhaps I'm just being nostalgic.

To read more about sAviOr, who really is one of the most outstanding players ever to play the game, check out this great article by Ver
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/final-e ... eld-part-1
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
analcactus
Kuski

Post by analcactus »

http://habrahabr.ru/post/172529/
use translator i guess
Image Image
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Saviour is one of those players who completely outshines the rest though :D

Deathballs aren't something I see particularly often when I watch - surprising as it may seem. It rarely gets to 200/200 because you usually see an early cheese or a relatively quick all-in.

As it stand Protoss is a little bit too diverse in the variety of what it can do. A terran or Zerg player would need a god-tier scout to stop a toss shredding them with DT rush or blink and pretty much can't make the first move.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

That sounds way different fromw what I remember. It sounds either like SC2 beta, or perhaps things have changed with HotS. I realized now I haven't really watched HotS at all, and when I wrote that I had WoL in mind.
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Memphis
37mins club

Post by Memphis »

Always thought Slayers boxer or Boxer's slayer was top player in SC1. The maps I play now are all fairly balanced. I mean it's just BGH or Fastest maps really. Don't care much for lost temple.
Religious Man
||
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Most of the community thinks Toss is overpowered right now, Zerg is probably objectively the weakest race (they have the worst lategame, are the hardest to play and don't have a lot of early game options.)

Terran is pretty versatile and a well-played terran is formidable, but protoss is just steamrolling everything right now. They can legitimately go the same build against terran or zerg every game and have few issues keeping up.

The other thing is that the Protoss defensive strategy, offensive strategy and then into lategame all require mostly the same tech, so the thinking involved isn't as advanced as doing techswitches for Terran or especially Zerg.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

Starcraft has always been like what you just pointed out, but mostly it goes down to players skills. When you're zerg, you have to stop lategame from happening.

Anyway watching IEM semifinals now. Hero playd the most impressive games I've ever seen, such timings and massive microing, Blinking away from widow mines explosions, I'm like wtf!
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

Hero also had the clutchest comeback against Hyun (zerg) in the quarterfinals. He was down to literally 0 harvesters, lost most of his army and was against a 3 base (nearly harvested out) with a bigger army of mutas and hydras. He blink microed so perfectly that using about 15 stalkers and 1 colossus he took out 20 mutas and 20 hydras with 6 stalkers remaining. Absurd.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Funny, I was browsing some random site and saw that IEM was on. Turned on the SC2 stream, and the first game I see is the one you're talking about. Holy shit, it was intense! Hadn't watched a single game of SC2 in probably half a year, but that one had me instantly on the edge of my seat. Great game.

Here's the beginning of the base race. I got goosebumps from rewatching it even.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mzXaO4Tl00&t=1h28m34s
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

omg, crazy game :D. Saw some basetrade not long ago aswell,don't remember who playd, but the guy that was obviously winning forgot to make a building. even with 1200 minerals and about 10 workers