Where is Elma now?

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Where is Elma now?

Post by bene »

I'm looking for you!

But seriosly. I have tried for a few months to make impsy bad level. I have proably made a few times, but every time i get "Omg good level" or "Impsy level, abort", the impsy level QUICKLY evolves into "finishable level" or similar.

So what the fuck happened? Seriously i was gone for 4 years, you probably dont even know me. But in these years you went from "anything is impsy" to "Yeah up it's ez anyway"; or atleast it feels like so. The FF I just made and upped would have been aborted right away in belma, now it was complained about being impsy then went to ez XX apples, then ez finish(b3eff002.lev), so atleast some complain? Did overall skill improve this much? Or what else? The level is just COMPLETELY random untested, didn't even think it was possible.

So what happened? theories?
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
abruzzi
Kuski

Re: Where is Elma now?

Post by abruzzi »

Ye, kinda the overall skill has risen up, everybody is saying the same. But what is one of the most interesting things is how newcomers quickly adjust to it. I mean look at the rookies now, in 3 months they can get the skill that in past was called very pro. Just an another secret of our universe making it mysterious. Probably it's the uber-ez access too battles, all styles, easy resolution changing, now we possibly experience another big push at the highest level (Kazan, Zweq) because of the saveload. Maybe also modern people are more and more adjusted to, generally, gaming, too. Some Zweq would have to explain.
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
snajdig
Kuski

Post by snajdig »

Nice summarize Abruzzi. Actually the whole community is fucking skilled Rarely i can make perfect ride (perfect for me), but that can not be enough. Here need über impsy times to get good places. Ohh, and ben3eee, if you feel like there is 1 % chance to finish this lev, you can add it calmly it will be finished.
Lousku: Snajdig, forgive all my subtle and not so subtle hostility towards you in the past. I can't go on harassing anyone who produces sach sweet wisdom.
FinMan
36mins club

Post by FinMan »

The first comments like "impsy lev, abort" and so on by anpdad and sach don't mostly mean anyone thinks the level is impsy. Before Nekit came to the scene, hard levels were barely played, just some nick-o-matic and Morgan levels were played every now and then - and they all were 100% tested and planned, giving none of imaginative part to the player..

Instead, Nekit came up with his pipes - something everyone hated (except for couple players, ofc), spiky pipes. Somehow he managed to not do the "roof" of the pipe one day, the other day he made it an uphill and that's where it all started, long lasting nekhill spree..

It was christmas 2008 or something like that when zweq and nekit played dozens of nekhills a day, some other people trying to catch them in skill but never being able to do, one of the reasons being that nekit and zman always started hills for each other instead of starting for ballers overall.. So basically two people played every single hard nekhill until some point - and that is when Nekit was THE hiller already, no one had anything to say for him, it felt completely stupid to start a hill if Nekit was not on, no one would finish it anyway, while you knew Nekit would just cruise through the level.. There were couple other people who actually became max good at them but no one became nearly as good as Nekit.

But after a while, Nekff's kinda merged to regular cruise levels and people started to do something between more often. Not that planned half-cruisy, half-trick based levels, having couple of masterminds like Koopa, bless him.. xD

And this is where we are, kind of a balance between these three... Sometimes we see a zehill, sometimes plain cruise, more often something between.. What basically happened, Nekhills made people so amazingly skilled in searching ways to continue the level, any finishable (ok, nope, not always) level will be basically finished in a moment..

We should maybe look for some old ff levels which were hard back in belma times and see if they are hard at all any more..

:roll:
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

actually it was in teh 2007 summer when me and xiph would battle in teajays uphill battles called FISH. That's when we started looking at what's possible and what's not, imo. Before that it was only abulas thing to do "impsy" levels, like in 2000-2003( I don't know when exactly ). There are a couple of uphill levs from that time, or hard levs in general.

Later started the nekit mania, I guess it was late 2008 or early 2009. Every level had to be uphill. he would ask for one every 5 mins (actually he hasn't evolved at all in 3 years). Those "spins" slowly came into play in uphills as well as some other tricks that are hard to describe here. Uphill levs are actually complicated set / combos of tricks only, they're usually not hard, very underrated / misunderstood.

Yeah so that's what happened, the skill evolved, nekit mania happened. When new tricks are already done, any nab can do it after. It's like a group of nabs walking in some 0.5 meter snow. Nekit was there walking first, making it much easier for us nabs.

The question in this topic is quite weird anyway? You can easily make hard or impsy lev, perhaps you just weren't aware of the possibilities. (edit: or those "impsy lev" "abort" comments are just jokes/trolls/provocations. When I say "impsy lev" I mean "I don't get what is the style in this lev")
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

This topic is a really interesting read. I didn't know much about my beloved teammate Nekolopter. =)D
Zweq wrote:Before that it was only abulas thing to do "impsy" levels, like in 2000-2003( I don't know when exactly ).
Perhaps Abu had it figured out. Make something seemingly impsy and see how many years it takes for people to höyl it.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
bene
Hot kuski

Post by bene »

Zweq wrote: The question in this topic is quite weird anyway? You can easily make hard or impsy lev, perhaps you just weren't aware of the possibilities. (edit: or those "impsy lev" "abort" comments are just jokes/trolls/provocations. When I say "impsy lev" I mean "I don't get what is the style in this lev")
Yeah question is quite weird, it's weirdly worded and drunken.
But still, interesting to know what those nekhill's(and other levels) did to the community overall for 4 years. Abulas impossible leves are another great example, nowadays people finish them easily.
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

I think it's save to assume that 10 years ago there were more people playing elma than now. But compare how many people could finish even MOPOCO15 then and now?
39:37,91
jaytea
37mins club

Post by jaytea »

the explanation is obvious: i taught people how to play. people observed me battling, winning cups, and learned things they wouldn't have if i was not around. the new players who, unfortunately for them, have never witnessed me play are still able to reap the benefits of my experience vicariously through those that i've taught over the years. you're welcome.
im pretty good at elma
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Thank you jaytea, you taught us well. How about a comeback?
anonymous32
Kuski

Post by anonymous32 »

reminds me of good old irc nights where jaytea allowed me to battle with him in order to gain skills.

also thanks to jcl for the nice level designs.
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

And who the hell are you?
devin
Kuski

Post by devin »

Well said jt :) you should make a comback to EOL! I guess since i opened this i might as well adress the question:

I think skill levels have risen due to the fact that the top players are so much better than before and from there can teach beginners or rookies whether they try to or not. Also with the format now compared to #battle days, battle count has been streamlined and you can observe others play. Thus increasing play time and exposure to skills. I learn from watching all the time. Monkey see monkey do. Ez said but not always easily done. past years have done us well in playing because the intro of belma and such. The public way of playing has been around almost as long as the original game.
-brag
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Bjenn wrote:Thank you jaytea, you taught us well. How about a comeback?
gaytea accidentally forgot that it was I who taught him the finer points of win and thus everybody learnt off myself. What a poser!
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)