Magic the Gathering

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Magic the Gathering

Post by Bludek »

hi

I started to play MTG again after 7 years or so and I found out that it's the same fun even after all these years.
I have made two deck from my old playing cards and I compete agains friends (who started to play again too) and I have also attented a begginer's tourney, where I have totally failed :D

First deck I have is a RG aggro (with BTS , Slum, Lightning bolts and Call of the Herd), which is decent but not rly complete.

2nd one is quite cheap almost all-common Orzhov WB deck (plus green on splash for Putrefy and Teneb) Main cards: Blind Hunter, Mourning Thrull in cheap combo with Edge of the Divinity, Pillory and Castigate.

Those years ago I have played "UBG psychatog" (extended legal), with madness cards (Basking Rootwalla, Arrogant Wurm...). It was quite strong, I had fetch lands and "new" duals in it, so It was quite stabile, and I have won several local turneys with it (that's why I have so many cards from Ravnica and Guilpact - boosters from those editions were prizes 8) ).

Did you guys ever played MTG? Is here anyone who still play it (regardless your competitive level)?
I would like to know :) (ez share your decks too)
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
Tigro
Kuski

Re: Magic the Gathering

Post by Tigro »

Bludek you wont believe me but i played Mtg too.
had some nice legacy UG aggro, based on madness/threshold/flashback/dicsard.
was mega. no more magic in our city -> no more play.
4x basking rootwalla
4x wild mongrel
2x faerie conclave
1x treetop village
3x wonder
2x roar of the wurm
4x nimble mongoose
4x careful study
2x meregolk looter
1x breakthrough
cant remember rest... i didint ever had any dual lands like breeding pool, yavimaya coast or flooded grove, or fetches, it would be mega with them...
as for sideboard, some plaxcaster froglings and myslic snakes...
also i have some nab frittie with riftbolts, shard volleys, incinerates, marauders, seals, and shrapnel blasts... it sucked hard. didnt have blinkmoths or great furnaces...
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

That's nice Tigro! Thx for sharing your deck list, it seems like we have played actively MTG in the same time :)
Wild Mogrel was always one of my favorite cards :)
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

lol guys i also had a lot of cards in the past, my friend (rip) managed to get about 400 red cards. and we played tournaments in the park, but funnily we didnt know proper rules camu up with ours lol. what are the rules btw? you can use a card and you have to tap some lands or such?
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

yea, something like that. For more information about MTG and every other thing on spaceship Earth: http://www.utfg.net/
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

ez watch some matches at youtube.

blud, forgot about deep analysis :) one nice card too :) its good that half of my deck was FNM promo, so it looked very fancy... :)
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

FNM cards are very nice, I just bought 3x Bloodbraid Elf to my RG deck, I love its design :)
Almost every card in that UG madness deck has its FNM version, cool 8O your deck surely looked beautiful ;)
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

blu, playing also on magic workstation? if yes, we can have fight some day..
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Hi I once played munchkin it was pretty fun, you play with cards in this game too.
Is this something similiar? ??
These are some cards from munchkin:
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

no, this is not similar.
This looks more like BANG! or Dominion or sach. try to google MtG.
Juzam
38mins club

Post by Juzam »

ive played since ice age i believe. have thousands of cards. still playing with friends. but Highlander format only!
---Juzam---
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

cool! Does your name come from MTG? ;)
Juzam
38mins club

Post by Juzam »

yup, its from Juzam Djïnn
---Juzam---
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Haha thats cool!
Axxually, I 've never liked highlander type, i played mostly legacy. The only thing i hated about mtg was that cards rotate from type2. Extended was good choice, until kaamigawa didnt rotate away...(btw greetings from Great Britain, i am on holiday in St. Albans.)
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

Tigro in other topic wrote:Bludek still hoyling MtG? i stopped many years ago.. what boosters got?
Yes I do :) I mostly play Modern R/G deck build around Bloodbraid Elf and Blood Moon. It is competitive in regional level, but I guess it won't be possible to win some big tournament with it. It is not complete also("fetch" lands are quite expensive and hard to get, coz noone wants to sell/trade them. Also I do not have any Tarmogoyfs, since they are 90+ € a piece 8O .)

All boosters I got were from new edition Return to Ravnica and I was pretty lucky: I opened 2 dual lands (Overgrown Tomb and Hallowed Fountain) and few other playable cards :)
We sure had fun opening it with my brother; We always took one booster (and without looking at the contents), put 3lands from each color in it, shuffled it and then we played againts each other with it as it was our deck :)
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

lal, thats good idea, i am so sad i am not able to play anymore. It needs just one year without mtg and you are out of concept, then it takes 2-3 years to get back to all cards and stuff... i wont be able to play anymore, the ammount of new cards, rules, abilities is so huge that there is no chance of returning... but my UG graveyard (threshold, dredge, discard, flashback) deck would be still pretty playable in pub/semi-competetive legacy.
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

Tigro wrote:... then it takes 2-3 years to get back to all cards and stuff...
That's not true at all :D :D it would take you few weeks max to get back ;) The rules didn't change a lot (only combat damage doesn't use Stack anymore and there is new card type "planeswalker". That's it). The amount of new cards is huge indeed (1000-2000 depends when did u quit), but only very few of them are playable, so there is like ~100 cards to remember. And you also always can read them ;)

Only thing I had problem with when I returned were the prices of cards: they continuously change a lot and if you are trading, you have to remember a lot of numbers..
But it is sure worth it to play again, but deffinitely not alone. You have to have at least one friend (or more) to play with.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Bludek wrote:But it is sure worth it to play again, but deffinitely not alone. You have to have at least one friend (or more) to play with.
and a mtg shop in town. which is not.
but yeh, i know planeswalkers, i left after alara set. my deck which price was sum 150€, is now maybe 20€. damn it.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

My brother is a regular winner in Magic tournaments.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

his deck?
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

do you have a brother? ;)
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

I've won a local 4 round tournament yesterday (format: modern). The game's as fun as ever. I've played quite an unknown combo/control deck, which is possible to play only because of the new cards in the recent expansion. link to similar decklist

The game feels like mix of chess and poker to me. Too bad MtG is not seen that way in the eyes of the public, but more like a fantasy game for nerds. Which is also true, but that's not a full picture.

btw, Hasbro released new trailer for the new expansion few days ago and it got super viral on youtube. Several milion views in a few days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5W9t62t10I Even my GF wanted to see it again, after I played it to her. They sure spend quite a bit of money on the animation and the music, so I am not really all that surprised that even people who know nothing about the game liked the trailer.