Donating blood/organ donorship

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

teajay
Donator duck

Donating blood/organ donorship

Post by teajay »

Who else donates blood? Do they give you money for that? Here in Holland you do it for free, but you get soups and tasty foodstuffs afterwards on top of that great feeling of having helped those people who are in dire need of fresh blood.

I have to put a few nuances on my donating blood: in the last 4 years I donated about 6-7 times. When I first was asked to participate in the program, I was about to go on a big trip to Brazil. This put a hold on donation, due to possible infections by malaria, yellow fever and other diseases. You may donate every 2 months, but I had some majors lapses without donating, because they couldn't find my address to send the requisitions to (I moved a lot over the years), and I was also lazy/busy at times (decide yourself). Yesterday I wanted to give blood again, so I got on my bike and went there, only to find out I my rate of iron was too low. Turns out this marathon in Berlin really took its toll.

So yeah, my contribution is rather small, but still I made a difference, and that's what I'd like you people to think about. Also, this topic is about organ donorship, because I sense that people will also talk about this sooner or later anyway. In my country we have a registry where you can specifically state if you would like to donate organs when you die. I will; imagine you being death but your heart still going strong. The beat goes on, you know. :wink2:
analcactus
Kuski

Re: Donating blood/organ donorship

Post by analcactus »

I actually donated blood 10 times now (here you can donate 0.5L/per, maximum 1 time per 2 months, no more than 5 times per year).
Well, the idea of donating looks good to me, though I recieve some free thingys like: tea+crackers before i donate, 0.5l juice + chocolate bar + super little can with red caviar (like 30g or so); also, they give 1000 rubles ($33 approximately) and you get one paid day-off or just you can increase your vacation with paid one day :D
bad english :D
Image Image
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

I should get donating sometime now that my glandular fever has wound down.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

My uncle encouraged me to start donating blood a few years ago. Have thought a lot about it since but never done it. Partly due to not being a big fan of a big needle being stuck into me, partly because I'm unsure wether there's actually a lack of blood in the archives. Not that I've tried to do any research.

I am registered organ donor, don't see any reason not to be that. Even though it's irrelevant cus I'm gonna live forever, but should one die in a horrible skiing accident, it's nice to know one can save someone else's life. And I know there's a need for more organs.
twipley
Kuski

Post by twipley »

teajay wrote:Who else donates blood?
I, receive. :)

Here in Quebec we are doing it for free too, although I haven't yet done it. It is one of my sole vices, though. :)

Seriously though, I really have got to do it next time. Greatest fear is the one of long waiting lines. (We'll see their length.)

Kopaka wrote:Even though it's irrelevant cus I'm gonna live forever, but [...]
It's a good thing to be conscious of our immortalities.
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

I'm just a registered organ donor, no reason not to be.
39:37,91
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

not donating is the good move, future of the earth is in maggots
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

I'm a little bitch with crippling fear of needles so I hev a hard enough time giving blood samples. No, I'm not a blood donor. Organ donor, though, I need to register as.

edit: Apparently there's no other way to be an organ donor in Finland than carrying a piece of paper in your pocket. Well, I'll print one of those. =D
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

In Czech it is like this: Most people donate blood (470ml) few times a year (no money for that) or you can donate "blood plasma" (850ml for man over 74kg, but they give you all blood cells and 500ml nutrient solution back into body, so you can donate more frequently) 2 times a month also for free or for ~16€. There is also option to donate platelets, but not many do that. I have found, that roughly 8% of ppl takes (rather symbolic) money for donating.

I have donated 11 times in my life, always blood plasma. I must admit, that if there was no money, I would almost definitely donate fewer times. I am still studying and every money is handy :)
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Yeah, we get to eat cookies, soup and stuff. Money would be great, but it's not my incentive. And the thing is that being paid would mean people would donate blood just for the money only, their diseases and alcohol intake notwithstanding. I guess that is some of the reasoning behind it. Or maybe they just get enough blood so they won't have to pay. :P
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

I've been donating blood for the last 2-3 years but I'm not a registered organ donor. I usually get some coffee and a sandwich + 2 lottery tickets afterwards :) Donating 0.5L every 3 months or so.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

That is awesome, if you win the lottery because you donate blood! Lots of elma guys donate blood, I guess. Or is it that donating blood is much more common than I thought? I have the idea it is not really that common here in Holland, but I might be wrong though.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

i do not donate, but i was thinking about it though. However i don´t know what health conditions are required.
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

No one i know has ever donated blood, i couldn't guess it's such a common thing even, wow. But it's a great cause, i'd do that if my health allowed to, but it sadly does not.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

i heard your blood cant be retarded
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

too much heroin and milk in blood:(
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

I haven't been able to donate blood due to some medication for my skin but now that my blood is clear from those toxins I might give it a go. I still have a organ donor pamphlet somewhere, maybe I should fill it out.
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..