Latest thing you have thought

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Latest thing you have thought

Post by Lousku »

majority of our problems are obviously because of our differences. we can't see how it's possible to have such a fundamentally different mind, so we assume things like stupidity, arrogance and sickness. it's possible to adapt to any mindset enough to understand it and if you do, i can't see there being any anger left towards that mindset. most of our problems come from misunderstanding and there's no reason not to work towards learning to listen and understand instead of our usual habit of assuming things about the nature of other people. another problem is juxtaposition. solidly different views exist only in stereotypes, and they're useless. we're all individuals whose minds are formed by interaction with a wide variety of philosophies. we can use this as an advantage by finding common ground and working towards understanding why we disagree on other matters. especially with globalization and the internet. we can possibly hold concepts of national identities, but it doesn't have any predictive function in learning to know a person. i find this a sort of exciting thing, because each person i can interact with can be a door to significant change in my life, and also some mindblowing findings - things i've never given thought but are obviously a part of reality.

all of this is most likely obvious for many people, but it's relatively new to me and i need to express it in order to reflect and understand it better.

sry, lazy formatting.

post any philosophy / whatever. discus.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Ruben
Kuski

Re: Latest thing you have thought

Post by Ruben »

While getting a haircut (an actual haircut, no elma) earlier today I realised how funny salt is. I mean, it's made up of Natrium and Chlorine, which are both really fucking reactive substances. They're toxic and explosive and whatever. DANGER is written all over them. And together they make SALT. The world is fucking weird, man.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

every time i really think about it i come to conclude that universe is not as deterministic as science suggests and randomness exists, i'm really excited to see more discoveries about this
39:37,91
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

(in response to lousku's post, cus his post made me thing of this, so this is my latest thought)
Somewhat relevant to the myers-briggs personality thing we had topic about. It's fun to figure out what you are, but a more important point with that, is to understand there are these different kind of persnalities. So you know when someone does something differently it's not because they are stupid but just because they are different. Can be pretty annoying when people just get angry rather than trying to understand the mindset of others, which might ruin proper discussion or whatever you are doing.

One example I saw recently was in the forums of a browser game I play. People where complaining about having only four days to sign up for some new contest and one guy started calling it a character flaw to be unable to make up your mind quickly, completely failing to understand that there are different kind of people, those that can make a quick decision and those that like to take their time. Was about to call him out on it, but then didn't orka get into it.

Had two lectures about the myers-briggs thingie as part of a uni course last semester, which was quite interesting. It's something you can easily recognize in many situations. I can recommend reading more about that.
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

it doesn't take a psychology professor to understand that people have different personalities. i don't think that's the purpose of the test. i think the purpose is to identify yourself better and perhaps understand why you do things a certain way.
Pingywings
Kuski
Team: singy

Post by Pingywings »

boobs and mc donalds
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Pingywings wrote:boobs and mc donalds
I give you credit for being honest.
<nick-o-matic> niec

Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

My problem with Myers-Briggs tests is that I simply don't know the answers to those questions. As a result I can never relate to the given classification too deeply. But I see the purpose, it can surely be helpful for many people.

A more immediate problem arose when a dear friend of mine lost her daughter a few days ago. I'm still in shock and feeling helpless concerning the family. There are no helpful words or actions after a tragedy like this, but I obviously want to support them somehow. What can I say? I'm highly conscious about the implications and tone of my messages and it feels like I'm saying all the wrong things. For example, "Call me anytime if you can/want" and "Can I come spend time with you?" feel too egocentric (as if the issue is about me) and aggressive messages, but I didn't find any alternatives. I guess I've done all I can for now. I can only make myself available.
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Interhybritizer wrote:While getting a haircut (an actual haircut, no elma) earlier today I realised how funny salt is. I mean, it's made up of Natrium and Chlorine, which are both really fucking reactive substances. They're toxic and explosive and whatever. DANGER is written all over them. And together they make SALT. The world is fucking weird, man.
wat

Salt is not "Natrium" and Chloride, it is primarily a compound of a Sodium atom and it's Chloride buddy (NaCl). Chlorine in gaseous form is toxic but ChlorIDE is not. Sodium is not toxic.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Yeah the problem is that I've learnt all these things in Norwegian, so I don't really know exactly what they're called in English. Sodium is Natrium in Norwegian for some reason... All salts form this kind of bonds though, and many of those raw elements (as atoms, not the stable ion) are very reactive. I'm not saying you should put all these salts in your food though...
Last edited by Ruben on 6 Feb 2013, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
<nick-o-matic> niec

Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Haruhi wrote:"Natrium"
Well, it's Natrium in Latin, hence "Na".
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Lousku wrote:
Oh yeah so actually it's just Englishers that are weird...
<nick-o-matic> niec

Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Lousku wrote:
Point taken, but the language of modern science is English nonetheless.

None of Na+, Na or NaCl are toxic. Na+ is highly reactive but NaCl is what forms AFTER that reaction :P
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Irregardless of whether the components of NaCl are toxic or not, the gist of Interhybritizer's thought is something that also intrigues me.

Take for instance how the atoms that make us, and the world around us, were formed in stars billions of years ago. Stars which, through their spectacular deaths, propelled their insides thousands of lightyears only for some of them to end up on this very sub-pixel of the universe, and compile into you and me.

How such a dramatic event as a supernova could lead to a such delicate object as a flower when only given enough time is something I will probably never completely wrap my mind around, because it's so far beyond me. I can't even make up my mind when it comes to the probability of one existing. Is it close to infinitely low, or is it 1? Had a single star out of the billions in the early universe been located slightly further away from us, or slightly closer, would I not have existed at all?

These are probably the questions I'd like to have answered the most. Not "What is the purpose of life", or "What sparked life on the earth". I would want to know the answer to "What if...".
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Igge wrote:Irregardless
Regardless*
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

I actually googled the word before I wrote it, and based on what I found I consciously chose to use it just to see if anyone were to point it out. Personally I think it sounds better which is why I choose to write it, and whether or not it's considered correct, it's how languages evolve after all. Some people seem to agree with me. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Citations ... ss#English
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Igge is right, Madness walk it off dog.
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

I thought I will build a snöbil jump this weekend!
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

i thought Madness is kinda grammar nazi :)
and i was thinking about some nabby program and how to solve little issues with it, so spent some time debugging it.
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

"Irregardless" is a double negative (ir, less) and the most obvious definition to me is "with regard". Sure, languages evolve, but we can direct them in some cases, can't we? This would just bring more inconsistency into English. Think of it this way: if you add "non-" into a word, how could it retain the same meaning?
Igge wrote:I would want to know the answer to "What if...".
You could always ask Randall. ;)
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

"Ain't" is a word that can sometimes behave the same way. Not the word in and of itself, but rather the way it is used. "Ain't no sunshine when she's gone" technically means there is sunshine when she's gone, but no one actually interprets it that way anyway because it wouldn't make sense. I still say "Ain't no..." sometimes even though I know it's wrong just because I like the way it sounds and it rolls off the tongue nicely. Same goes for "irregardless".

And as much as I like xkcd and the "What if"s, I don't think that's a question he could answer. :I
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Lousku wrote:"Irregardless" is a double negative (ir, less) and the most obvious definition to me is "with regard". Sure, languages evolve, but we can direct them in some cases, can't we? This would just bring more inconsistency into English. Think of it this way: if you add "non-" into a word, how could it retain the same meaning?[/url] ;)
This reminds me of the old moderator on the JosefVStalin website (it's a gamer, not the real Stalin). His name is "Unillogical". Which is probably one of the most (in)genious names I've ever seen. I'm somewhat tempted to steal it. But alas, I shan't!
<nick-o-matic> niec

Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Igge wrote:"Ain't" is a word that can sometimes behave the same way. Not the word in and of itself, but rather the way it is used. "Ain't no sunshine when she's gone" technically means there is sunshine when she's gone, but no one actually interprets it that way anyway because it wouldn't make sense. I still say "Ain't no..." sometimes even though I know it's wrong just because I like the way it sounds and it rolls off the tongue nicely. Same goes for "irregardless".

And as much as I like xkcd and the "What if"s, I don't think that's a question he could answer. :I
I ain't not disunderstanding this, but I still don't not think we shouldn't undeliberately make Englishn't not less un-illogical.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

same as the everything topic

+

bla bla bla words by lousku

=

??
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Lousku wrote:I ain't not disunderstanding this, but I still don't not think we shouldn't undeliberately make Englishn't not less un-illogical.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9wR-tXavTo
<nick-o-matic> niec

Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

yeh, love that part...
Team Alpha super awesome cool dynamite wolf squadron.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I read it correctly for the first time, after visiting this topic already about five times. It says thought instead of bought. I was like silly topicmaker replied to the other topic and accidentally made a new topic and decided to make it a weird one. It's actually not so weird after all ;]
Pingywings
Kuski

Post by Pingywings »

i don't see the point in life recently. 9/10 days are absolutely shit. others are neutral. got pretty shit "friends" atm, just feel like nobody really likes me apart from a minority of people mostly on EOL

thats the whingy part over. so still thinking of boobs but now pizza
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

Thinking of a nice sallad, been on my mind for days... Just want a nice sallad...
ToMaT
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Pingywings wrote:i don't see the point in life recently. 9/10 days are absolutely shit. others are neutral. got pretty shit "friends" atm, just feel like nobody really likes me apart from a minority of people mostly on EOL

thats the whingy part over. so still thinking of boobs but now pizza
i had the same feeling half year back, then i quitted playing PC games. life is much better now. believe me.
I play some games time to time, but no elma, no dota, no addictives.
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

you can always count on me pingy Image
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I feel like quitting all non-paying activities and drink beer all day and only work once a week 16 hours a day. Or take a plane to Brazil and sit on the beach every day and play guitar. Or I feel like starting to kill all stupid tasks I am getting involved in lately. I don't know. I feel like I am doing stupid stuff. Am I thinking at all, that is my thought at this very moment.
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Been wondering whether I should fix or silence my ego. No idea if/how either is doable.
analcactus
Kuski

Post by analcactus »

asa akira is incredibly hot
Image Image
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

3 of these = 12 kg

Pingywings
Kuski

Post by Pingywings »

cool thought bjenn
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

bjenik again offtopic a bit :)
this is about more enlightened things than buying stuff. Here people are thinking and sharing thoughts.
Capeesh?

It reminded me the thought that I wanted to start with some serious excercise, because my arms are pretty bit weak, especially when swimming a butterfly stroke. I have to do some push-ups or lift-ups or how is it called, just to get some muscle weight.
I have never considered taking such drugs bjenn recently bought. I consider it a posion to body.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Bjenn:

It would be greatly appreciated if you elaborated your thoughts on this specific impeccable subject of yours.