Elasto Mania Feature Documentary Film (Shooting Phase)

insane guy
Kuski

Elasto Mania Feature Documentary Film (Shooting Phase)

Post by insane guy »

Introduction (Skip this part if you don't want a boring introduction):

Allright, so this idea has been in my head for at least two years, probably a lot longer. As some of you might know I am a film maker, media producer or whatever you'd like to call it. This involves work on fiction films as well as documentary and/or TV productions. Last year I shot my first own documentary film about a guy who ran 320km in five days. I was fascinated by how easy and relaxed he (and the other runners) dealt with the big distances. I wanted to know whats going on in your head if you run 60, 70 or 80km.

I am currently editing the film, but its progressing slowly and I blame my laziness but mainly my lack of inspiration on it. See, I don't really run, neither for fun, nor to keep in shape and I rarely think about running. So theres just not so much thoughts and connections in my mind opening about the theme 'running'.

However, there is a subject I think about, and have been thinking about almost every day for the last 13 years. Elasto Mania. Although I stopped playing (and haven't touched it since) about 3 years ago (?), I still think about the game, but mainly THE SCENE every day. I sometimes think how stupid I was to quit playing in order to "get more things done". In reality I just found other time wasting occupations.

What is it that makes this game so very special for me, and obviously so many other people in the world?

(End of introduction)

What and Why?

I will make an Elasto Mania Feature Documentary Film (meaning about 90 Minutes). It's a huge project and I am for sure not going to do it right now and on my own, but it has been in my head for such a long time and it HAS TO GET OUT OF THERE. I sometimes even wake up at night and think: Fuck, I have to make this film!

What the film is about:

The film's theme is only to a certain degree about the game itself. There already is a decent recap of all important events in Elma history: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhujtzYD0VM and I will not try to remake that. This film also will not be made for the community itself, or people who know the game. It will be a good ol' documentary about what is interesting to us humans: People.

Who are these people, playing a (shallowly observed) silly game for more than ten years, way into their adult age? Even in 2000, Elma had "antique" graphics. Who are the people who joined and changed the scene years later?

The style of the film is not yet completely decided, especially whether I want myself to appear in the film or not. I hate these pretentious documentary filmmakers who make a film about subject X, to which they are somehow connected and mainly the film is about themselves so that they can jerk off on the rest of the world. I don't want that.

On the other hand I could not get out of it entirely anyway and trying to do so would almost certainly result in failure. The game and community really meant (and still means!!) a lot to me.

Side note to anyone who thinks "Who the fuck is this insane guy?" - I am mostly known for my battle levs that add up to over 2000 in total.

Funding:

In the film I want to visit kuskis all around the world, mostly in (northern) Europe for obvious reasons, but meeting the Canadian kuskis e.g. would be really amazing, too. So there has to be a budget. So far I always came up with the funds for my films myself, but with this project my pocket money would be exceeded.

I see great potential in raising some serious cash. For one, there is Crowdfunding, and everyone who has been around platforms like http://www.kickstarter.com and http://www.indigogo.com, you might have noticed that projects related to computer games often work very well.

Also with all my connections and bonds to the scene (that have to be renewed, I know) and "years of research" already done, I might get lucky to grab a fund from some German or even international Film Funding.

What's Next?

So before you start getting too excited and wait for a release next spring or so, I have to take you two steps back. Making a (good) film is neither easy, nor can it be done quick. It needs a lot of planning, budgeting, and all that shit no one really likes. In fact, this is the very first thing I ever write down for this project (except for a list of kuskis who should appear in the film, I will find and add that later). Also this will be my first feature project and I think I cannot yet estimate the size of it or the impact its going to have on my life.

I am currently working on three major projects for myself, plus I have to earn some cash in order to pay my rent and buy a bottle of beer every now and then. I plan to have finished all three projects (one being the documentary film about the runner) by the end of this year (2013).

But I can't get this thing out of my head, so I will start writing down some ideas and look into funding options during the next months. Also I have to catch up with what happened in the scene during the last three years or so (I check Lauta every now and then, but I still haven't even seen EOL!!).

What can you do?

Well, thanks for reading so far. I hope you like the idea. As it has been proven several times, the Elma community is strong and social. I will definitely need a lot of assistance along the way, may it be digging in archives for elma related stuff or just an old mattress to sleep on in Stockholm. So whoever wants to contribute to the film is heartily welcomed.

I don't really want to use this Lauta thread so much for the precise planning, as it is kinda annoying to go back and look for older entries. I will think about what platform is best to use for some cloud/crowdsourcing. There is http://www.wreckamovie.com where you can easily create tasks and manage files but not everyone will want to create an account there, so maybe I'll use some Google shit or so.

Please feel free to comment on anything I wrote above. This thread can for now be used for a general discussion about this project. I will probably create a blog for the real progress of the film, so that the "outside world" can also take part.

Oh and BIG THANKS TO LOUSKU, for kicking my ass into motion with this video: http://youtu.be/AwLVqwJZg-Q?t=3s
I stopped watching after "Im making a huge mistake here, I'm taking elma seriously." And sat down to write the text you just read.

- insguy, May 22, 2013
Last edited by insane guy on 21 Dec 2017, 17:44, edited 3 times in total.
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Re: Elasto Mania Feature Documentary Film (Pre Planning Phas

Post by Bludek »

Wow, just wow. I didn't expect anything like this to come. Ever.

Even tho nothing is done and it is just and idea, it sounds terrific. Big project like this have to go over many difficulties, but if this will rly happen (there were many ambitious projects around elma in the past, but only few of them made it to the finish), it will be astonishing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhujtzYD0VM <- link to elma documentary (internal memories).
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

Great idea :) Make sure to include some clips from past Elma Meetings.
39:37,91
analcactus
Kuski

Post by analcactus »

yo!
first i was like "tl;dr" but now i think it's great idea!! nothing to add, just PLEASE VISIT ST.PETERSBURG IWANT TO BE A MOVIE STAR! bored of pron
Image Image
Luther
37mins club
Team: ICE

Post by Luther »

Wow! Great idea Insguy! Haven't seen you for ages :)
Nekit for president
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

I am ready to partly fund your trip to Jyväskylä. =) The project sounds awesome!
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

sounds kinda unbelievable. i hope that a lot of people want to be interviewed and tell their stories (because i definitely wouldn't).
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

I like this. Kickstarter looks good at means of getting money imo.
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

Wow, thanks for the welcoming feedback so far. And really good to hear from you Luther. Good to see you're also still somehow active.
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

Great idea and I really hope it gets done some day.
Lukazz wrote:sounds kinda unbelievable. i hope that a lot of people want to be interviewed and tell their stories (because i definitely wouldn't).
Can I ask why would you not want to do that? I really hope as many as possible would participate, I would be happy to contribute in this way to the film. And possibly in other ways too, when the process becomes a bit more concrete.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Ville_J wrote:Can I ask why would you not want to do that? I really hope as many as possible would participate, I would be happy to contribute in this way to the film. And possibly in other ways too, when the process becomes a bit more concrete.
analcactus
Kuski

Post by analcactus »

i must add that i'd really want teh Balazs to participate in this (and maybe his bro-designer too?)
contact them plx
Image Image
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

analcactus wrote:i must add that i'd really want teh Balazs to participate in this (and maybe his bro-designer too?)
contact them plx
Balasz will definitely be part of the film. No matter if he wants to or not.
J-sim
39mins club

Post by J-sim »

so cool insaneguy. when i once thought i wanted to be a filmmaker i of course gave this kind of an idea some thought aswell.

i think it's a good idea that you want to make the movie about the elma players, this is the only way it would be interesting for a general public. but of course it would be nice if through the characters in the film the world of elma would open itself up.

when you mention this kind of approach i immediately thought of this trend in documentary films where extreme/niche subcultures that revolve around some kind of competetive "game" is portrayed. examples: word wars, cubers, wordplay and spellbound.

you should watch all these if you haven't already! i think you would find lots of inspiration both in the form and content. these films, as i remember them, have all built their narrative around introducing characters from around the world and then follow them as they prepare for a big event (world championship or equivalent). so if you get loads of money from some grant maybe you should consider hosting the first ever live elma world cup ;)
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Hey insguy, next year I may be commencing my professional career as a composer. I currently just made an agreement to be the Composer in Residence with the Queenland Youth Orchestras, and I am trying to forge my way into a career in music for media. I am just wondering if it would be possible to write music for this feature if it indeed eventuates. Anything to help - even if you make a 90 minute monster.

Also: you should come over here to Australia and speak with some Aussie kuskis. If you get that much funding that is.

For something like this, I would rather be my sensible "real-life" self rather than the spamming mongo poster you have come to know over the years. It's funny how different we all are in real life in comparison to common perceptions.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

i give video interview for only $2000k dolars
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

J-Sim: Thanks for the great input. I haven't watched any of them but I will. Also the idea of leading the film towards a big event is a good idea to get some tension into it. I will think about that. (But someone else would have to host the event...)

AKB: Great! Perfect! Amazing. Of course you are invited to compose some music for the film. That's one part of why I love this scene so much, so many great people who are willing to help and support. And going to AUS would be fucking nice and I will try to do so. I'm already thinking about some transition from a snowy village in Finland to some urban Australian neighborhood, through which the average non-elma watcher will learn how widely this game is spread. And if you are to be in the film, you should know that both sides of your identity will be revealed.

Oh yea!
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

insane guy wrote:J-Sim: Thanks for the great input. I haven't watched any of them but I will. Also the idea of leading the film towards a big event is a good idea to get some tension into it. I will think about that. (But someone else would have to host the event...)

AKB: Great! Perfect! Amazing. Of course you are invited to compose some music for the film. That's one part of why I love this scene so much, so many great people who are willing to help and support. And going to AUS would be fucking nice and I will try to do so. I'm already thinking about some transition from a snowy village in Finland to some urban Australian neighborhood, through which the average non-elma watcher will learn how widely this game is spread. And if you are to be in the film, you should know that both sides of your identity will be revealed.

Oh yea!
In which case you should come visit me. Fun fact: I'm the most isolated currently active kuski in the world. :]
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

A.K.B. wrote:Hey insguy, next year I may be commencing my professional career as a composer. I currently just made an agreement to be the Composer in Residence with the Queenland Youth Orchestras, and I am trying to forge my way into a career in music for media. I am just wondering if it would be possible to write music for this feature if it indeed eventuates. Anything to help - even if you make a 90 minute monster.
This will rock hard akb, ready to help if needed.
Zweq wrote:i give video interview for only $2000k dolars
this is where fame takes you.
Haruhi wrote:In which case you should come visit me. Fun fact: I'm the most isolated currently active kuski in the world. :]
maybe Lee?
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

Ville_J wrote:Can I ask why would you not want to do that? I really hope as many as possible would participate, I would be happy to contribute in this way to the film. And possibly in other ways too, when the process becomes a bit more concrete.
dunno, I'm just not that kind of person. I'm very camera-shy and always run away when there's someone with a camera on a party, so the thought of revealing parts of my personality in a documentary film sounds kind of ridiciulous. ;p
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Tigro wrote:
Haruhi wrote:In which case you should come visit me. Fun fact: I'm the most isolated currently active kuski in the world. :]
maybe Lee?
Lee, AKB, Myself and Ulaanaa all very isolated i guess.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

I remember talking to some guy from Hong Kong in belma... :D And Pab of course! Is there anyone else from South America?
If this is indeed to be born, it's going to be an absolutely terrific project. I suppose there is not much support/input I can provide, but as the project develops I will make sure to do everything I can :)
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

insane guy wrote:J-Sim: Thanks for the great input. I haven't watched any of them but I will. Also the idea of leading the film towards a big event is a good idea to get some tension into it. I will think about that. (But someone else would have to host the event...)

Oh yea!
I understand if funding to come all the way out to Australia is impossible, but either way, I will keep in mind that if I am to be in it at all, I don't mind a bit having both the "spamming annoying dude" come out as well as the rather happy-go-lucky self I usually am in real life. Don't judge my enormous run-on sentence. :)
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

This topic is indeed the first I've seen where AKB revealed his civilised self!
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Insguy, this makes me very happy! I had a similar idea recently, but realized I will never actually do it, so I managed to squeeze a little bit of depression from "this will probably never happen". It went something like "let's show outsiders why this is a good game". See, explaining the mechanics or showing pro recs is usually not enough to impress someone. You need to let them try warm up and flat track for a few minutes and then show that headbanger WR, and they of course won't believe it. But wouldn't it be a cool challenge to express the reasons we play elma in some sort of documentary? This of course includes the scene, I think most of us wouldn't be addicted to Elma if we didn't have internet.
insane guy wrote:What is it that makes this game so very special for me, and obviously so many other people in the world?
Yeah. Lots of potential in this question, I think. But as you said, people are more interesting to humans in general, so emphasis on the scene is probably a good idea. In any case, I'm eager to see where the project progresses, and I'm hoping I can somehow help along the way.

--
Pawq wrote:And Pab of course! Is there anyone else from South America?
Quite a few that have quit, not sure about current players. Schumacher is in Argentina at least. I think you can browse countries on EOL site.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Pawq wrote:This topic is indeed the first I've seen where AKB revealed his civilised self!
I do apologise. :)
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Should we use this thread to collect ideas and subjects that should be talked about?

Or some google doc?
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

Xarthok wrote:Should we use this thread to collect ideas and subjects that should be talked about?

Or some google doc?
Please fire away your ideas!! Anything is appreciated.

Of course I will be the super cool director who has his very special "vision" of the film, and in my experience it is not very good if people can prepare themselves for questions/interviews (turns out fake/staged) but since I share this project with all of you, you are invited to suggest themes, topics and everything else.

edit: oh and when time comes, I will take care of google docs and shit...

Nice, guys, I am happy :)
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

Would be nice if someone playing Elma Land between an interview :D
Team SPEED

8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

Xarthok: reminded me of another interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Avyau1SHiE . <3 that babe
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

This was hilarious :D Who picked this guy to do interviews...

To be perfectly honest, I'm not convinced that numerous interviews is a good idea whatsoever.
I'm trying to imagine myself watching a documentary about a scene from a different game (a game I know nothing about). I think I would prefer it to be a story of a community told from a particular perspective, rather than a bunch of interviews with guys who, frankly, have nothing more to say than "I love this game because it's so deeeep", or something of the kind.
I've been thinking about this since I'd first seen this topic. In my opinion it would be more appealing to completely unrelated people if it was narrated more like a regular feature film. After all, a computer game documentary is a very specific kind, and I think it ought to be developing by its own set of rules.

I don't know how that differs from your vision insguy; I wanted to try and perhaps trigger a few thoughts that could contribute to directing this film in the right fashion. How do others relate to it?
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Ez make a documentary mainly about some kuski(s) going through WC7 (either just some zamppe or maybe 3-4 top ranked kuskis who are favored to take it all). Then cane always go back in time to talk about past WCs and the scene back in the day, and can also talk about the current other kuskis who are also playing WC7, and about the levmakers who made levels for the cup (to cover the whole designing aspect of elma as well). Then maybe if you are traveling around you can even film some of their hoyl sessions for each lev etc.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

insane guy wrote:people ... people ... people ... people ... people ... people
igge wrote:elma ... elma ... elma ... elma ... elma ... elma ... elma ... elma
That was my thought when reading this post, igge :l
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Then you must have not read it thoroughly.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

Pawq: Thanks for your concerns :) I am aware that a film that consistst of a bunch of interviews with people who tell how great the game is and how it affected their lifes won't be very interesting. It is rather the question whether I want to tell the story through the perspective of one person, or several players (which I am leaning towards to...). Story is King and I will follow that rule. No matter what, I want to meet and interview many people (also as part of research).
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

I think focusing at the society of the community would be best. That is to show it not only as gamers playing the same game, having a rivalry through the net, but also as some kind of ghetto where we organize meetings and understand one another greatly (even people from different countries), not to mention various helps like advice or moneys loans when needed.
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

I would love to see live interviews of all these players I've never met. The community aspect of the film is a must. A general theme could be social relations over the internet between gamers.The differences between our real life relationships and those through a game. It drifts more from elma itself but like pawq said if you were somebody who knew nothing about elma how interested would you really be in amazing times and skills when you couldnt truly appreciate it or understand the difficulty? The fact that the game has lasted this long with a loyal following is the golden idea. Elma can simply be the game of choice to portray a larger idea. If you'd ever seen the film trekkies I almost think thats a good vision to correlate too. I knew nothing about star trek but the documentary was able to make me aware of those who were passionate about star trek to an extreme and was thus entertaining. My two cents.
God Bless America
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

insguy: when is the earliest you could begin filming and traveling? I've taken the liberty to coordinate the organization of World Cup 6 and get things in motion and I would like to take your plans into consideration when choosing the starting/ending dates. Seems like WC6 could be most excellent background for interviews and so on? :)
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

Xarthok wrote:insguy: when is the earliest you could begin filming and traveling? I've taken the liberty to coordinate the organization of World Cup 6 and get things in motion and I would like to take your plans into consideration when choosing the starting/ending dates. Seems like WC6 could be most excellent background for interviews and so on? :)
2014. Sorry I won't be able to focus on this project before then. So don't wait for me, there will be another World Cup, I'm sure.

On the other hand. IF you (and the community) can wait for a while, I can already see the press text: "The Elma community has conquered good and bad times, many great players have fallen to the duties of real life or other interests. New players have emerged. Now one event will bring them all together: The first World Cup in 8 years. Darmoed, unbanned from his cheating violation is back in action. The community is shocked. Everyone from newbie to oldschoo player is going for the cup, but only one can win...

sorry got a little out of hand there.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Anybody in contact with DarMoeD? Would be nice to have short feature of his cheating notoriety. Maybe not. Up to you.
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Any more specific than "2014"? Like, any date that you think World Cup could start ideally to coincide with YOUR plans? And yes we are willing to wait :)
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

Xarthok wrote:And yes we are willing to wait :)
Eventhough I like insguy's project a lot, I don't agree with your statement, 8-ball... There is no need to wait with WC6 when it's ready to be started.
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

I meant people who came forward to help with organizing.
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

ah, ok :D sry then
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

Xarthok wrote:Any more specific than "2014"? Like, any date that you think World Cup could start ideally to coincide with YOUR plans? And yes we are willing to wait :)
to be safe: April 2014 (could be very well planned WC) - people who want WC6 happening soon, please don't kill me. But again - if it happens sooner, it happens.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

actually i wouldn't really mind waiting for another year, as long as it's really happening.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Lukazz wrote:actually i wouldn't really mind waiting for another year, as long as it's really happening.
Indeed. We have waited for 8 years already, I suppose another year wouldn't do any harm. :)
sleap
Kuski

Post by sleap »

That is a very great idea.
I haven't ever been the most active or by any means good player but always was fascinated by the game and community.
What I miss yet is the pointing out of what makes the game itself so special. The logic behind it, or unlogic.
Maybe that has been revealed in the meantime but taking auto-levels I used to play - they weren't functioning every time. I think there is some kind of chaos in that code and only some very dedicated people are able to work with that.
BlaZtek
Kuski
Team: CMR

Post by BlaZtek »

Now where are you insguy? :-)
[13:22:24] (ImagebEAT) blaz super pro
[17:06:15] (ImageRamone) ok I suckj. blaz rules