World Cup 6 Debrief

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

A.K.B.
37mins club

World Cup 6 Debrief

Post by A.K.B. »

This topic is for afterthoughts and opinions for next world cup event.

I will start:

Thoughts about timing:

I dropped out (basically) after a few events because WC6 was scheduled for the busiest time in my life (so far). Just had to finish 60 min composition portfolio and honours thesis.

Thoughts about level quality:

I was seriously underwhelmed with the quality of most levels. They felt as if they had been made hastily and without sufficient testing. Of course there were exceptions, but overall it felt a bit amateur.

Thoughts about playing quality:

Everyone in the top 5 seemed to put in a great effort. I was impressed with a few winrecs, especially those which I didn't expect the style of. Fantastic effort all round, and hope there are more world cups to come!

Thoughts about involvement:

It seems approx. half mans who entered in the first event dropped out towards the end—a shame. I still put some of this down to playability of levs.

Thoughts about next World Cup:

I would like to submit at least a level for the next world cup, and I think I would prefer being on the panel for level quality.

(please add any other categories you want in your posts)
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Re: World Cup 6 Debrief

Post by Labs »

Thoughts about timing:

Good timing for me.

Not normal cup levs. Many idiot places, also most level was boring, no multiple ways-styles blah. quitted cos i didnt like levs.

No surprises.

Ok.

Hopefully normal levs.
Team SPEED

Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

few thoughts:
Objectively speaking I can't really complain about any of the levels. Sure none of them had magical feeling at least for me, but if you lay down the hard facts it matters quite little in elma how the level is like, there are always style opportunities and höyling opportunities. Like lousku would say, a lev can't be bad or good, it can only be bad or good for YUO.

Levels seemed quite 'safe', nothing special was tried out (or picked). Haven't seen events 12-14 yet though.

I liked only ramone levs, which is nothing new to me. Haven't seen events 12-14 yet though.

Pipeskills were tested 2 times. Hang climbing skills were tested 0 times. Uphill skills were tested 0 times (ok maybe ½ times because of zebra level). Time has moved on, world cup hasn't.

Replay watching after zebra level was probably the peak of the cup more or less, at least for me.

The wcup format is hardcore, possible (if not even easy) to get burned out.
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

Still gotta criticise the arrangement a bit. I definitely think there should have been a bigger jury to pick the levs than just Ramone, who tends to have pretty strong opinions and be stubborn about them. Would he be part of my ideal jury - sure. Him picking alone? Not so much. I can't know what kind of levs were sent, but I do think there would have been more variety with more people on the jury. I've heard the jury wasn't bigger because "no one he asked didn't want to", and that the asked ones were pretty much oldschoolers who haven't played in ages and Zero, who wanted to play the cup. I'm sure a lot of newer guys would have been up for the job and been great at it, so I don't know why was it decided that Ram alone is the judge. Oldschoolers' unwillingness to pass the torch?
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

Some amazing recs. I'm very impressed by Kazan also by FinMan who both are great externalists.
Some good levels.
Annoying that BarTek had 2 levs and i had none o,o i designed 2 levs with alot of work.

I Look forward to some nice youtube-video.
[i cruise, i lev, i live]
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

I would be very interested in seeing these levels umiz! And all other rejected levels actually... Would be good to get a more complete picture of what Ramone had to pick from.
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Thoughts about timing:

Like AKB, I dropped out after a couple events due to life circumstances and change of lifestyle I couldn't have possibly predicted. I followed it as much as I could though and if not for said circumstances, would have surely played more.

Most levels were top notch quality and the variety was great. I doubt anyone other than ramone could have picked an overall better set.

I was impressed. Top players were committed and deserved their spots. Plenty of very surprising and jawdropping recs.

Enough people played to create plenty of intense competition for players of all skill levels all throughout the cup. Sounds successful to me.

It would make sense to have it if/when Elma 2 comes out.
39:37,91
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Thoughts about timing:
Pretty much perfect for me, it was during last part of my university life where I have somewhat much free time, eventhough it was in the middle of writing master's thesis it may be the last time I have that much time to dedicate to it.

As far as my level taste goes it was damn near perfect, maybe just remove the zero pipe.

It dropped a lot towards the end, at least for those outside top 10-20, but that's to be expected in a cup, and it always happens. Otherwise I was really impressed with the general quality of playing, was damn hard to get top 20 in any lev.

Amount of players were pretty even to that of World Cup 5, which was nice to see after 8 years. Nice to see players like Zero, FinMan, adi in the very top of something as high profile as a world cup, eventhough they have done amazing in other stuff there's just something more legendary about internals and world cups. And nice to see Denmark take a fourth place (our best in a world cup) inspite of what seems like a dead danish scene compared to earlier.

Time between 4 and 5 where almost three years I think, let's see where we are in two years from now. Not sure if elma 2 is ready by then tbh.
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

I think that this world cup was a success. I didn't expect to see 185 players. And level variety was very good. I think Ramone did a good job :)
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

zebra wrote:I think that this world cup was a success. I didn't expect to see 185 players. And level variety was very good. I think Ramone did a good job :)
185 players is unbelievable good! That must be a sign that the scene is healthy and alive!
[i cruise, i lev, i live]
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

Dunno, it was fun sometimes and so but lost motivation quite early.
ToMaT
Memphis
37mins club

Post by Memphis »

Ya, I thought all in all it was good success and everyone that was apart of it did a fantastic job. Some levels weren't my cup of tea but most of them were great. Played all the levels and near the end I could hardly put a good run together and couldn't think of any styles on the last 3 levels. Dynamo especially on the last 3 levels and my teammates really helped me through. That's what I enjoy is the style finding process with teammates and then maxing each other out by driving good recs.

I still think to encourage numbers throughout the wcup, have decimal points awarded after 50 and not everyone getting 1 point. Everyone likes the competition aspects of a wcup and if they don't feel they are competing with anyone then they lose interest. I mean for me personally, it felt like I was battling bamilian, jalli and Kejebra on the last few events cause they were all very close to me. I didn't worry about what Kaz, FM & other pros were doing cause I knew they were out of my league.

Thanks again for all the effort in the levels and to the organizers and players for making it a great experience. Anyone going to make a wcup6 movie?
Religious Man
|| TT: 37:47:70 || EX New Wave WR + Animal Farm WR || 24 Canadian Records || TEC Bronze Medal || HHIT in the 37min club || http://elastomaster.tripod.com/
||
Kazan
34mins club

Post by Kazan »

Hosp wrote:Dunno, it was fun sometimes and so but lost motivation quite early.
keeping motivation is hardest thing in cups imo)