EOL2 - updated 23.12.2017

Feature requests and ideas for the new unofficial versions of Elma and general talk related to those.

Moderator: Moporators

Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Re: Elma 2 - updated 27.4.2013

Post by Hosp »

my too
also having a mailbox where people can send rec and levels to eachother would be max
ToMaT
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

I'm probably the only one who wants it but how about an ability to add music to your levels? Of course I'm not talking about some 15 MB mp3s but MIDIs, MODs, etc. Perhaps a size limit could be 100 kb or so. Music could be as important to the feel of the level as pictures, decorative polygons, etc. Imagine this in some epic FF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TurMHGhmAkk
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

I want ghost!
God Bless America
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

I want an optional Elma 1 mode.
J-sim
39mins club

Post by J-sim »

what about using the !rec !lev ratings for something more than just stats. especially the !lev ratings could be used for prolonging the life of the best battle levels. it's kind of sad sometimes that the really good battle levs just stay battle levs and for the most part are forgotten as soon as the next battle starts. an idea could be using let's say the best three or five battle levs for each week and adding them to a continual levelpack type of competition. this competition could be split into months or years for an overall win. this would motivate levmakers to make high quality battle levels aswell.

there might have to be some constrictions as to the types of battles that would qualify, maybe levels from ffs, one-lifes, apple-battles etc. shouldn't qalify.

i guess this could even be done for eol with a fully working rating system. whats the status of that btw?
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

It could also be a menu of levels in the database with different sortings (most played, best rated...) and timespans (last day, week, month, year, all time).
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

it would be cool if one could more easily start a lev with up/down keys already pressed...maybe just delay start half a second
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Brake alias to solve braking in start. Up arrow shouldn't be a problem anyway)
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Brake alias helps, but some keyboards just can't handle all needed combinations. Would be handy, but I guess some 0,2 seconds is enough.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

I am just brainstorming here: (sorry if suggested already)

Moving apples or killers. Dunno why, but maybe would be cool that if you don't reach that apple before 10 secs then it falls of an edge or something and makes it impsy to finish lev with teh. Could be that you set teh friction to an apple and the lower friction the faster it 'rolls' downhill! So if it gets to a flatspot it stops rolling.
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

ribot wrote:Any of 360 degrees direction gravity, with an arrow both in editor and visible on apple while playing
This might be quite simple to make; I think the physics engine passes a vector in the gravity calculation function instead of just a discrete value in the set {up, down, left, right}.
ribot wrote:Optional instant turn screen so that gravity will always be down on screen
Easy, but would this be "cheating"? Or should it just be allowed per-battle?
ribot wrote:Optional instant turn bike
Yeah, why not.
ribot wrote:Option to play with across bike physics
We don't have Across physics sources, so this would be too big a job I guess.
ribot wrote:Include level generators in game
Well, the goal is that everything would be in-game, so no need to have something like startballe.exe etc.
ribot wrote:Allowing for thousands of vertices per polygon, in order to reproduce quantum physics bugs in the ground
Most of the limits concerning lev files have already been removed. Don't know about quantum physics though.
ribot wrote:Availability for crossing polygons, and drawing lines in levels - I don't see why not
Can you clarify this?
ribot wrote:Breaking with one wheel at a time
Easy, but this should be some special mode then.
ribot wrote:Make svg into levels
You mean converting SVG files to LEV files?
ribot wrote:Follow flag owner in flagtag, see the flag during F1+enter
Yeah, this is an obvious feature.
ribot wrote:Having more custom looks than just the shirt
We'll see.
ribot wrote:Make chat not autoscroll and not disappear when dying
Yeah.
ribot wrote:Don't crash game and lose data on internal errors, don't even exit game
Done, basically.
ribot wrote:Allow more apples
Yeah.
ribot wrote:Show how many apples are in the level
Yeah.
ribot wrote:Delete levels from inside the game
Yeah.
ribot wrote:Autojump to current battle level
Yeah.
ribot wrote:Display bounce strength and add bounce strength battle type
Hmm... bounce might not be so well defined.
ribot wrote:Bubbles coming out from the mouth of elma dude
Yeah, and 3D gfx, etc.
ribot wrote:A story for each internal
You could write them.
ribot wrote:Optional lines indicating position of each remaining apple and flower
You mean arrows?
ribot wrote:Optional Elma player's nick[team] shown with letters next to the bike; as well as chat in a bubble, and a label with the player's current battle status, such as time, starter, leader, winning streak; bike speed, bounce force
Yeah this could nice.
ribot wrote:Counter of successful zweq spins, and other impsy tricks
Might be hard to track these...
ribot wrote:Indicator of skill level on internal times, such as whether the user's time is pro, world class, etc
Yeah. Although the target times are kinda out-of-date.
ribot wrote:!lev !rec system
You mean level/replay rating system? Sure, but no need to use chat for that purpose.
ribot wrote:ability to see all current level's recs from the level's menu, instead of separate rec menu, with rec mergin
Yeah.
ribot wrote:rec merging showed with rec file label, to easily see who is who
Yeah.
ribot wrote:seeing online info about level in the game, such as comments for example
Yeah.
ribot wrote:intelligible private chat system
Private chat yeah, but what's "intelligible"?
ribot wrote:ghost bike from selected rec file
Yeah.
ribot wrote:helmets indicating GAA, administrator, chat banned :D
Kinda fun idea :)
ribot wrote:copy-pastability in chat, to be able to copy and paste links
Would be desirable yes... don't know yet how difficult to make.
kuchitsu wrote:I'm probably the only one who wants it but how about an ability to add music to your levels?
I don't think this is a good idea... it feels so unnecessary.
ribot wrote:it would be cool if one could more easily start a lev with up/down keys already pressed...maybe just delay start half a second
It's easy to add a delay. Maybe the time should be adjustable.
Lousku wrote:It could also be a menu of levels in the database with different sortings (most played, best rated...) and timespans (last day, week, month, year, all time).
Yeah, why not.
niN wrote:Moving apples or killers. Dunno why, but maybe would be cool that if you don't reach that apple before 10 secs then it falls of an edge or something and makes it impsy to finish lev with teh. Could be that you set teh friction to an apple and the lower friction the faster it 'rolls' downhill! So if it gets to a flatspot it stops rolling.
It would need some physics coding to get the apples falling (and rolling). So I don't know about this.
Lukazz wrote:linux version would be much appreciated.
Elma 2 seems to run fine at least on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit (using a virtual machine). There's some bug with the level list; it's not properly sorted. Will be fixed when there's time for this project (I'm kinda busy with studies once again atm, and there are no other active developers atm).
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Smibu wrote:
ribot wrote:Availability for crossing polygons, and drawing lines in levels - I don't see why not
Can you clarify this?
I think he means that if you make a polygon on top of another, they merge or smth instead of resulting in an error.
The line thing probably means a line tool like in Paint. Instead of having to create 4 vertexes separately, you could just drag a line. Could of course also define the thickness of the line.

EDIT: pls timestamps to chat!
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

Timestamps +1
Would be nice if could choose if want [hh:mm:ss] or just [hh:mm]
ToMaT
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

bigger buffer before losing connection, i have terrible internet and always getting disconnected when alt-tabbed
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

concerning the ghost-kuski from the rec file, then there should be some asymetrically encrypted stamps in rec files, to determine who actually did the run, so you wouldn´t be able to go on multiride with someone else´s prior ride.
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Some quick recsharing system in game, and publicly shared recs can be listed and downloadable under lev infoz and other places.
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

Gravity apples that sets no gravity. Kuskis floating!
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
elmas
Kuski

Post by elmas »

actually would be fun special balle
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

wow this is a reall cool project you are doing, smibu!

What about eol? Will it be supported? I mean with all the battles types and so on? I had an idea that maybe more people would like to help out. For example a jury for selecting new internal levels. A team for creating new graphics. Maybe some open-sourcable solutions for being able to help out (with statistics or level generating for example) for programmers.

What I meant about intelligible chat system is a simple one that is easy to understand. The one that eol currently has is a really weird one. But since you made irc references, why not just have the chat system on an irc server? It could even be an irc channel on ircnet.

What I meant about drawing lines and crossing verteces. The thing is that if you create a level outside elma the lines can cross each other and the level still works perfectly (but not always the drawing). So this could be allowed in elma. When it comes to lines, I meant single lines not part of polygons. You can just draw a line and drive on it. (Basically what roope said)

What I meant about drawing lines to apples and flower was this: draw a line from the drive to the apple/flower. It is not an

Then to have gravity down would be cheating? Not any more than the supervolt button I think. It would make the game more playable. Also, if you have 360 degrees gravity and gravity is not down, it could be really weird to play. Another thing about gravity is that it would be good to have an indicator of where gravity is right now (unless it's always displayed down, which is much better imho). It would be good in levels with many gravity apples where you don't always know what gravity it is.

One annoying thing about EOL is that when you press F11 to download rec, you might accidentally quit elma by pressing F12, and you will not even have the opportunity to download the rec if you reconnect.
-
-
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

i suggest Multi-Spy multiple people at same time with split screen
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

I had another stupid idea the other day. Prolly impsy also =)

"Wheel activated polygons", so a polygon is dashed and ghosted until you touch it with a wheel then it becomes activated and touchable. Until the polygon has been activated you can not die against it and the head will simply go through it as if it were a picture. Could be cool to hide apples in such polygons so you have to take apples with head =) possibilities are endless! but ofc, the idea is kinda stupid and not really what ppl want I guess :P
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Will bug bounces get fixed? Rumor says normal bounces and bug bounces are distinguishable in the physics and bug bounces could be fixed. Is it true?

Imo Elma is very clearly broken at this level (Enigma, Pipe and sash) and it makes no sense that WR development in these levels is up to pexi's judgment. If it's possible to fix this, why not?
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

Lousku wrote:Will bug bounces get fixed? Rumor says normal bounces and bug bounces are distinguishable in the physics and bug bounces could be fixed. Is it true?
Bug bounces will get fixed if 1) they can be fixed in a clear way and 2) people want them to be fixed. Fixing bug bounces might break compatibility with older WRs. Or, there could be an option "Disable bug bounces" and 2 different WR tables.

As for the second question - I don't know. I have not yet looked in the physics code to see what exactly causes the bug bounces, except that there are places where a division is made without checking if the divisor is (very near) zero.

As for the ideas people suggested, they all seem reasonable. Don't know about this "Wheel activated polygons", though. Of course it's possible to implement, but I think there would be much work but not much gain.
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

For a moment this project also looked promising, what happened..? :?
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

Can we get an update for 27.4.2014?
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

I think it sounds reasonable to have an update on 27.4.2014 (or before). Even though there are not that much new stuff from user's perspective.

Perhaps the biggest new "feature" is Linux support. Some questions for Linux users:

- What distributions are you using (Fedora, Ubuntu, other)? What version?
- 32 or 64-bit?
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

using ubuntu 12.04 LTS with 32 bit on notebook and 64 bit on desktop. very looking forward to it! elma is kind of the only thing that makes me still use windows at the moment.
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

Smibu wrote:I think it sounds reasonable to have an update on 27.4.2014 (or before).
New version will be up tomorrow (or, well, today... it's past midnight).
Lukazz wrote:using ubuntu 12.04 LTS with 32 bit on notebook and 64 bit on desktop.
At first there's binaries for 32-bit only, but 64-bit version will be available too. 32-bit version could work on 64-bit as well, I haven't tried yet.
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

In celebration of the next update I made a slightly higher res ground texture. Hopefully for use in the next next update.
Smibu
Kuski

Re: Elma 2 - updated 28.4.2014

Post by Smibu »

A year has passed and it's time for a new version. For the first time, Linux users can try too :)

So there must be a lot of new features, right? Well, for the user, not really. Why? Almost all available time has been spent on improving the current code, setting up the build system and making support for Linux. The only developer over the past year has been me (except that totem made a couple of helpful fixes in June).

Anyway, here's a few new user-visible features off the top of my head:
- Timer looks better
- Minimap resizes according to window size
- Level size limits (dimensions, objects, vertices, polygons) have been lifted (only memory is the limit).
- Replays can be saved. So far the rec format is the same as in original Elma. Playing is not yet done, so you have to use external player or Elma.

To download the new version, go to Elma 2 wiki page.

Pictures:

This is MEGAHUGE.lev. On my laptop Elma 2 is slightly laggy while playing it, possibly because of a not-so-good graphics card.

Remember the channel #new_elma if you have questions/problems/comments.
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

Too bad i still get the same menu bug as before. Maybe the game needs sm3 video card or dunno.

My config:

intel dualcore 3ghz
ati radeon 9600 xt
1gb ram

windows xp.
Team SPEED

Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

Please make option to choose old timer as well as it's my fav.
ToMaT
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Labs wrote:Too bad i still get the same menu bug as before. Maybe the game needs sm3 video card or dunno.

My config:

intel dualcore 3ghz
ati radeon 9600 xt
1gb ram

windows xp.
Stop using Windows XP.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Hosp wrote:Please make option to choose old timer as well as it's my fav.
Looks like it's already pasibel to change fonts (\datafiles\fonts\). Anyway imo thise requests are a litel mongo. "Please spend time copying old timer/editor/menus/volt animations/sounds etc for the sole reason that I'm used to it." Not saying some of my requests haven't been mongo. :p
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

for my i just want more options in elma2 not layout changes
ToMaT
Labs
37mins club

Post by Labs »

Chris wrote:
Labs wrote:Too bad i still get the same menu bug as before. Maybe the game needs sm3 video card or dunno.

My config:

intel dualcore 3ghz
ati radeon 9600 xt
1gb ram

windows xp.
Stop using Windows XP.
Why? 8.x is shit, for win7 i should buy new computer, linux is shit too.
Team SPEED

Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

Found some bugs when using Non-centered Camera:

Bug 1:

Grass in rendered around the bike with a specific radius. I guess the grass is rendered only where grass is visible and when you change to Non centered cam the bike moves to the edge of the screen and the Grass render radius moves as well.

Some screenshots:

Bug 2: Maybe more a feature/suggestion

Regarding Non-centered Camera as well:
When zooming in/out with (+) or (-) the zoom is fixed at a specific distance from the edge of the screen causing the bike to go outside the screen when zooming far enough in.

Some screenshots:
The bike is always kept in center around the red line.

Bug 3: Also non centered cam bug

A part of the screen is left blank when playing a level in a maximized window when using non centered camera.
Steps to reproduce:
  • Maximize window
  • Go to options -> Players -> Disable Center camera
  • Play -> Enter any level.
Note: this bug does not apply until you enter a level.

Center camera works fine:

Non-Center camera is bad boy.
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Labs wrote:
Chris wrote:

My config:

intel dualcore 3ghz
ati radeon 9600 xt
1gb ram

windows xp.
Stop using Windows XP.
No reason to waste time troubleshooting and developing for an outdated OS, especially with the very limited resources this project has. Besides at this point it's a security risk for you to use, since it's no longer supported with updates.
Labs
37mins club

Post by Labs »

Kopaka wrote:
Labs wrote:
Chris wrote:

My config:

intel dualcore 3ghz
ati radeon 9600 xt
1gb ram

windows xp.
Stop using Windows XP.
No reason to waste time troubleshooting and developing for an outdated OS, especially with the very limited resources this project has. Besides at this point it's a security risk for you to use, since it's no longer supported with updates.

I think the bug is not cause of winxp, also xp was never safe to use which i dont care. Who uses xp and going to virus sites its their own problem.
Team SPEED

totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

I tried on XP without any problem, my guess is that your ATI card sucks dicks (as usual with ATI, just to feed the troll)
Chris
Kuski

Post by Chris »

Labs wrote:
Kopaka wrote:
Labs wrote:
Chris wrote:

My config:

intel dualcore 3ghz
ati radeon 9600 xt
1gb ram

windows xp.
Stop using Windows XP.

I think the bug is not cause of winxp, also xp was never safe to use which i dont care. Who uses xp and going to virus sites its their own problem.
There are more vectors of attacks than just websites, but whatever you want. I only was trying to help you.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

I am using Win XP without any reinstall for YEARS without a single problem. Yes, it's unsupported now and it's very justified to switch to a newer version, but everyone saying stuff like you get viruses or something similar don't know what they are talking about. Anyway, this is topic about elma 2 and not OS circlejerk.

/rant
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

cool, next chainpi could be 2500 times bigger! yey
Chris
Kuski

Post by Chris »

Mawane wrote:cool, next chainpi could be 2500 times bigger! yey
Just join all of your pipes ever made into one big pip.
dawid
Kuski

Post by dawid »

BUG 1:
When I hold rotate key(left or right) and then I press avolt key and release (still holding rotate key) then the rotating doesn't work. It require release, press and hold again rotate key to work.
PS. sorry for my bad english
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

here is a video of the new elma:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROBOQJv7GsA
-
-
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

dawid wrote:BUG 1:
When I hold rotate key(left or right) and then I press avolt key and release (still holding rotate key) then the rotating doesn't work. It require release, press and hold again rotate key to work.
This might be a keyboard problem?
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
dawid
Kuski

Post by dawid »

Orcc wrote:
dawid wrote:BUG 1:
This might be a keyboard problem?
I don't think so, because there is no problem in EOL (the same keyboard and settings)
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

@Xiphias: Thanks for those detailed reports. I actually remember seeing the radius bug but I had forgot it.

@Labs: The bug you're getting is unfortunate; we just can't reproduce it.

@dawid: Thanks for that report; it might indeed be a bug if EOL behaves differently.

Has anyone had any problems on Linux? No one has complained, so I suppose no :)