Best Designer Ever

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

gimp
Kuski

Best Designer Ever

Post by gimp »

Lets look at GAA nominations and winners from 2003-2015

GAA # of Wins:
Ramone - 3
zebra - 2
Barbapappa - 1
Juble - 1
Jappe2 - 1
TL - 1
yoosef - 1
Danielj - 1
umiz - 1
Zero - 1

GAA # of top 5 nominations/wins included:
Ramone -7
zebra - 6
TL -5
skint0r - 4
MP - 3
Jeppe - 3
umiz - 3
Pab -3
Ville_J - 2
Xhomaz - 2
Jappe2 - 2
igge - 2
Danielj - 2
bEAT - 2
insane guy -2
Zero -2
Barbapappa - 1
Juble - 1
jp - 1
jallax - 1
8-ball - 1
Bjorn - 1
Antz - 1
niN - 1
Mawane - 1
barryp - 1
Dreamhunter - 1
Devan - 1
yoosef - 1
Lousku - 1
Zweq - 1

Some observations:
Ramone won 3 years in a row, zebra won 2 years in a row.
zebra was in the top5 every time from 2003-2008
yoosef, Juble, and Barbapappa all won once and never made a top5 again (probably because they stopped designing? untapped potential?)
skint0r was nominated 4 times in a row for the first 4 years of GAA, twice of them he got the 2nd most amount of votes. After that, he stopped designing.
In 2009 Ramone and igge differed by 1 point for the win in the voting, 58-57.
Ramone has been nominated 7 times since 2003.
zebra hasn't been nominated since 2008.

Other interesting correlations may be found in some history of LOM, or designers before 2003 (first gaa) like Olliz.

My top5 is:
1. insane guy
2. skint0r
3. Ville_J
4. Ramone
5. niN

*Will be updated after 2016 GAA of course.
Last edited by gimp on 27 Feb 2016, 20:25, edited 8 times in total.
God Bless America
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Re: Best Designer Ever

Post by Hosp »

atm best designers is Spef, undiete, Lousku, me imo) iltsu also
ToMaT
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

Nice stats! Thanks gimp! Nice to see that I'm still at the top of some list :) Maybe I'll make comeback some day ;)
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

umiz and igge
Team SPEED

Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Labs :*

Nice stats) 2009 was the first and only time I think Ive ever been close to a GAA, apart from last year's where I had one for almost a full minute.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

1. Jeppe
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

During my years as an active designer and player of ElastoMania, I have seen many designers come and go. Some designers have been wildly popular as the trend in levels has correlate with players' wishes, such as pipe-levels, hills, one-life, etc. So who is the best of all time? Is it the one whoring for the players and their vanity demands, or is it the one that maintains its style? Probably a mixture...

Winning a GAA is very much about the promoting of oneself, and also perhaps by depressing others. Being active in the scene is the key to success. But is it the one that send out most dung in the scene which is the best?

Is it the person who send out 20 "perfect" levels per years and does'nt dare to make bad levels? Is it the person who make 2000 levels and 60% of them are great?

What about the myths around some designers? Some nicks are so fully loaded with excpectation that the level it self is not so important...

I do not think there is any best designer of all times but if I were forced to choose, I would certainly not choose someone who makes Apple Harvest and Framework copies, I would choose a likeable designer, a designer with mix of skills, a designer with good insight of what a good level is, and that person is: maybe igge, maybe someoneelse, actually i have no idea, probaly the best designer is not around us yet.
[i cruise, i lev, i live]
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

I like what Ramone has been doing. He could make a lot of different levels. He had a lot of fresh ideas. He could make any type of level. He could make good uphill, long ff or ultra short hoyla. He could start raw or very carefully designed level with pictures and other stuff. He was not afraid of experimenting. Most of other designers are good at making only certain types of levels. Ramone is very good all round designer.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

Ramone was a dominant designer until 2013, there were barely any challengers until then, he made levels that looked good, were max nice to play and always had cool styles etc and he made them fast if needed with any kinda theme or feeling you could imagine of.

Some time before Founds and after that he has not been doing anything that would stand out, almost any designer can be put in the same line with him and you never know who makes the better lev. Sad, really. Even these climbing levels that can basically be the most awesome stuff ever, nothing really works in them any more, they mostly are super imbalanced osv. RIP ramone : )

Ramone could be my choice for the overall best designer all time, after all he made levels pretty much always, right?
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Good thoughts umiz. Might recognize a few people you're talking about without names :p

But yeah, as far as I know, historically "the" designer would be Ramone. Made levs through the ages, high quality standards (until recently I guess), attention to detail and graphics, some GAAs, lots of promotion, like everyone knows Ram as a designer. I think this reputation might give him some (unfair?) advantage on Designer GAA polls though ;O
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

Ofcourse Ramone is top 5, no doubt! But the best, mnnaoo... But maybe I say so because he didn't choose any of my world cup level... Am I bitter? Will always be! But always with self-distance and quite humoristic, after all it's about a 2D game. I guess Ramone is a 3D person and understand what i mean.

Friday and cheers mans! :beer:
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

I always found it important that lev is a sandbox, I have never been able to enjoy linear headbanger type of battles, at least not in the recent 7 years or so. Ram is great at making sandbox levs in simplistic internalish style, they work very well for me, that's why he's the best for me. Experimental kind of design is very nice also, but everyone sucked at it so far.
then there is igge that ca
iltsu
37mins club
Team: EF

Post by iltsu »

Best Designer Ever: Chris
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Chris' levels are the worst thing to happen to elma in the last 10 years.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Haruhi wrote:Chris' levels are the worst thing to happen to elma in the last 10 years.
sure about it?
id guess some abruzzi guy...
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

You cant really say who. Since taste differs. I think we should rather discuss most influential/important designers. Some old and new makers really progressed levelmaking and without some ppl levels would (likely) be quite different today.
Elasto Mania - ez better
BlaZtek
Kuski
Team: CMR

Post by BlaZtek »

Quote Ramone: "I think we should rather discuss most influential/important designers."

Im mainly influenced by Sla and Olliz.
[13:22:24] (ImagebEAT) blaz super pro
[17:06:15] (ImageRamone) ok I suckj. blaz rules
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

I think Olliz, Ramone, TL and maybe Xhomaz might be the most influential level makers of all time. Skint0r is important also. There are hundreds of names to spout out though.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Is this topic about me?
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

No fu mad
God Bless America
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

I cannot go past Olliz levels. Olliz and Fuida have perhaps been the grandfathers of creative and organic level design. Love older designers a lot actually...
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

Olliz was like from different era/dimension, never saw any levels with so much soul again
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Zweq, Lousku, and Danielj all had their first nominations. Danielj also had his first GAA.

Ramone tied zebra in number of nominations, if this had a point system he'd be winning by quite a bit.
God Bless America
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

fuk olliz levs, i didnt like them even in 2001. no offense to olliz himself at all though :P (if he still lurks around here sometimes)

but i think there might be something about old levels having mour sole. If i take a look at 0lp pack (which btw was considered horrible back then) and then compare to avg eol battle lev, there's quite a huge difference.

creativity "golden age" is definitely a thing, not only in real life but also in elmik. maby the golden age of norm levs was in 2000-2002 and of first finish balles in 2007 (when ppls experimented a lot more). creativity is lutra dead nowadays, danilevs manage to giv me some new feelings, although i often dont like playability of his levs

it feels like the eol scene is so thirsty for constantly having battles in queue that ppls are forced to make watever levs made in 2 min which starts a snowball effekt that kills creativity.
Fruitós
Kuski

Post by Fruitós »

Ez Zebra. His Uni pack levels is the best ive ever played by far.
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Zweq wrote:fuk olliz levs, i didnt like them even in 2001. no offense to olliz himself at all though :P (if he still lurks around here sometimes)

but i think there might be something about old levels having mour sole. If i take a look at 0lp pack (which btw was considered horrible back then) and then compare to avg eol battle lev, there's quite a huge difference.

creativity "golden age" is definitely a thing, not only in real life but also in elmik. maby the golden age of norm levs was in 2000-2002 and of first finish balles in 2007 (when ppls experimented a lot more). creativity is lutra dead nowadays, danilevs manage to giv me some new feelings, although i often dont like playability of his levs

it feels like the eol scene is so thirsty for constantly having battles in queue that ppls are forced to make watever levs made in 2 min which starts a snowball effekt that kills creativity.
I dont think levs have changed much at all, maybe some uphill or more pipes but really i just see a big change in grumpy perspectives
God Bless America
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

gimp wrote:
Zweq wrote:fuk olliz levs, i didnt like them even in 2001. no offense to olliz himself at all though :P (if he still lurks around here sometimes)

I dont think levs have changed much at all, maybe some uphill or more pipes but really i just see a big change in grumpy perspectives
well thats a thing also, in every field :P brane remembering only the good things
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Zero gets his first nomination.

TL gets his 4th, I suspect this will not change for 2015.

umiz gets his 3rd nomination and first GAA designer win. I must say he is an old player and always makes good quality battles. This was a well deserved win from the community. Good job.
God Bless America
Juish
38mins club

Post by Juish »

My Top 5 Picks

5. Insane guy ~ "Insane flow" is the only way to put his levs. Seemingly impsy but if you find a path they feel like butter.
4. Ville_J ~ Design skills and hi-res work is notable. Interesting concepts with fun to drive levels.
3. TL ~ The battle level King. You never know what you are getting into when F4ing. Always really fun/weird tricks he makes you do.
2. Umiz ~ Levels full of life and character. Beautiful imagery along side smooth styling possibilities.
1. Zebra ~ His Levels always impress. They are playable, they look great and most of all they are fun.

I have always considered myself a better designer than driver. I am surprised not to see my nick anywhere. Level designing is a very important part of the elma community. I have designed since 2001 and have no plans of stopping now :D Happy Editoring Kuskis.
TT= 38 somethin
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Good taste Juish. My top 5 would probably be some variation of those names, with maybe Ramone knocking Ville out.
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Zweq wrote:then there is igge that ca
? yes??
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

jokke
jeppe
jim
john
joe
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

A few unmentioned names:

Jonsta: for me he makes the best cup levels by far, always so inviting and nice-looking stuff with original ideas. Also goes without saying that the playability is perfection.

Kopaka: While he might not be on the same level with umiz and the other naturally talent designers I think he makes the best 'basic levels'. Most of the levs all the way from quick battlelevels to more worked externals are full of possibilities and just have that comfortable basic feel.

Koopa: Perhaps the most talented designer ever when it comes to playability, even more than TL. Unfortunately these two don't really care so any huge effort is hardly ever seen. Good example of koopas leveldesigning was that level in MiE Cup which was made fairly quickly. Just imagine the potential.

Also gotta mention seriously made FinMan levs, Ismo's multiroute ballelevs and Mawane levels when he decides to take the time and use all the editor skialz he has.
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Juish wrote:My Top 5 Picks

5. Insane guy ~ "Insane flow" is the only way to put his levs. Seemingly impsy but if you find a path they feel like butter.
4. Ville_J ~ Design skills and hi-res work is notable. Interesting concepts with fun to drive levels.
3. TL ~ The battle level King. You never know what you are getting into when F4ing. Always really fun/weird tricks he makes you do.
2. Umiz ~ Levels full of life and character. Beautiful imagery along side smooth styling possibilities.
1. Zebra ~ His Levels always impress. They are playable, they look great and most of all they are fun.

I have always considered myself a better designer than driver. I am surprised not to see my nick anywhere. Level designing is a very important part of the elma community. I have designed since 2001 and have no plans of stopping now :D Happy Editoring Kuskis.
Insane guy has been having amazing levs this year. He deserves nomination this year for sure, like you said "insane flow" :]
Ville J is one of my favorite designers but he doesnt make battles :[
TL amazes me with his quickness
Umiz always just has good solid levels
Zebra.... never liked his levels. I can appreciate them, and they always look like they took a long time to make, but i dont know i guess i am just too lazy of a kuski to hoyl his levs. but the community seems to like him a lot, thats the beauty of this thread, by taking the gaa statistics into account it takes into consideration a wide variety of opinions.

Juish i am sorry your name is no where to be seen, perhaps you dont make enough balles? dont know.
God Bless America
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

So this year was interesting, zero won and put himself in elite group of gaa winners, and Ramone was nominated again making him the most nominated player in gaa history, he has also won the most gaa wins. An unbiased non player would probably tell you Ramone was the best ever, but it's not that simple is it?

TL I believe has been nominated 5 times in a row, I will have to check, Pab was nominated and I am out of the loop, I don't remember playing any of his levs this year. I did not expect Zero to win, but his half pack was wonderful and I can tell he takes the designing process seriously so I commend him.

2015 changed my favorite designer, insane guy's levs were consistently and always awesome. He has a very specific style which may be why he did not win, but his battles were always my favorite, and I enjoy his style of levels, insane guy needs to create a level pack for 2016 :)
God Bless America
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

strange that Juble has been mentioned only once, his levels also are always worth to scan through
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Thanks for drawing attention to this topic, I forgot about it. Is there results somewhere? I didn't see them posted in the GAA topic. Also, i read that top5s are no longer being posted? Might make these stats a bit useless from here on.
God Bless America
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

If just Ramone can do some bad levels he will be the best designer ever.
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

umiz wrote:If just Ramone can do some bad levels he will be the best designer ever.
Finally he did them! FPA battle levels is great levels in one way and sucky in another way. There is no doubt anymore.
http://www.recsource.tv/r/xkjhnaesrw Zero win rec of FPA20.

I like the fearless and raw design.

Ramone have done all level types now. Ofcourse he is the best designer ever. And most important, he does levels for EOL. Lovely. This is a goal for all level designers. Make many different types of levels. Only then great 4D art is visible in this silly 2D game.

"Make 'em and startballe.exe 'em" - umiz.