EOL2 - updated 23.12.2017

Feature requests and ideas for the new unofficial versions of Elma and general talk related to those.

Moderator: Moporators

Lukazz
36mins club

Re: Elma 2 - updated 28.4.2014

Post by Lukazz »

haven't had time to test yet, will do extensive testing in july.
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

Zweq (in other topic) wrote:Also what the community really has been needing are few little updates on EOL, and some features have been longed for for the last 7 (or even 14) years already. 2 mans were able reproduce elma fizics (in 2 different wayS), but no progress hav been made on what the community truly needs. ye ye fuk you stfu i know there's a lot of work to recreate something like EOL, but it feels like the keys for ferrari were found, but they are just gatering dust on the table
Yeah, I agree that the progress has been slow. Well, at the very beginning (2012 and early 2013) the progress was actually decent (IMO), but it has since slowed down. Here is a picture of commits by date for the Elma 2 code repository:

I guess the good news is that the commit count has never been zero for any quarter so far, so something has happened all the time. Of course the current pace isn't really good enough. In the summer I didn't have much time for coding because I had 2 summer jobs.

New developers are of course welcome. Basically the requirements for joining the project are:
- You have been in elmascene long enough to know what the requirements (more or less) are.
- You know C++ (and you have coded something yourself, not just some small school stuff).
- You have time to code (even just a few hours per week would be helpful).
- You know the basics of Git.

So if you're interested, PM me!

And of course it would be nice if the inactive developers became active again ;) but I cannot force anyone.
Lukazz wrote:haven't had time to test yet, will do extensive testing in july.
Tested yet?

Btw, in September I need to start working on my thesis, which means I may not have much time for coding Elma 2 - unless the thesis topic is somehow related/helpful to Elma 2! So if you have some topic suggestions, just PM me or suggest on IRC (#new_elma).
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

damez, it won't ever be done
[carebox]
bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Post by bene »

Smibu wrote: New developers are of course welcome. Basically the requirements for joining the project are:
- You have been in elmascene long enough to know what the requirements (more or less) are.
- You know C++ (and you have coded something yourself, not just some small school stuff).
- You have time to code (even just a few hours per week would be helpful).
- You know the basics of Git.
I was interested and asked to join back in 2012/2013 when dev was active. The response I got was fuck off.
I was interested and gave ideas for the project back in 2012/2013 when dev was active. The response I got was fuck off.

Hard to motivate joining with this attitude of project members ain't it?
Basically I got this feel: "ahahah we have teh physx and are so much betterterer than everyone and r so much colrar!one!1" from involved developers that I talked to(No hard feelings, just motivating why I will not ever join or be interested in joining).

To be clear, you didn't exactly tell me to fuck off with these exact words, but like, I showed interest 2 years ago and still don't have source code to do any work.

Also I tired getting source for NEW!(I have everything but elma physx code, I have permission to commit to NEW! repository cause of earlier work I did with Linux port) to compile a personal Linux version earlier this year and didn't get anything.
Dunno why but it's another fuck off attitude showing the impossibility of sharing physx source that is needed for many elma dev ideas osv.

Peace
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

bene, I'm sorry that you got such a bad impression for this project :(
bene wrote:I was interested and asked to join back in 2012/2013 when dev was active. The response I got was fuck off.
As far as I can remember, you asked to be able to "listen in on the technical discussion". Back then I interpreted that as "I would like to be on the dev channel listening to stuff, but not actually join the project". I'm not sure if that was a bad interpretation. Anyway, since we had decided that the dev channel is only for developers, I replied with "nope" and the discussion didn't continue (see the IRC log below). As far as I remember, you didn't approach me via PM / email either. I'm not sure if you asked some other developer(s) if you could join the project, but I'm not aware of that at least.
bene wrote:I was interested and gave ideas for the project back in 2012/2013 when dev was active. The response I got was fuck off.
According to the IRC log below, none of the developers was being rude to you. You gave some ideas, I replied with my opinion. For the scripting idea I never replied because I went to sleep and then kinda forgot the whole discussion because I (probably) wasn't online for a while, sorry about that.
bene wrote:Also I tired getting source for NEW!(I have everything but elma physx code, I have permission to commit to NEW! repository cause of earlier work I did with Linux port) to compile a personal Linux version earlier this year and didn't get anything.
I remember this email discussion. I can paste it here:
bene wrote:
totem wrote:
Smibu wrote:
totem wrote:
bene wrote:Just checked source code of NEW! in SVN and it's missing files.
The folder elmaphys is missing. I'm guessing this is because of secrets and stuff?

Is it possible you can upload this to SVN or send it on mail?

Thanks in advance
Bene
Hi Linus (I'm thomas btw)

We have to talk of this with Smibu (at least), because it's not up to me. What is almost sure is that it won't be versioned on SVN. There is this IRC channel XXX, we should meet here; maybe this week end ?

I'm afraid that NEW! current SVN révision won't even compile... I'm in the middle of something really messy and no motivation to finish it (it's sad, isn't it)
I suppose NEW! can be compiled without elmaphys dependency as well, right? I mean, I don't know NEW!'s code at all; I've never developed it. Elmaphys is not an integral part of NEW!, as far as I know, so it should be possible to compile it without elmaphys. Totem probably knows how.

If all else fails, surely some older revision will compile without elmaphys.
yes it's possible to compile without elmaphys support (with some work, but nothing impossible). Actually there is just a *.pro file line to comment to get rid of elmaphys dependency.

Anyway NEW! won't compile in current state. Linus, what do you want to do ? we could discuss in gmail or something

have a nice day guys
Yeah, noticed all the include of elmaphys is guarded by a preprocessor directive.
I just wanted to build NEW! for Linux for personal use, but with the massive amount of problems maybe I should just wait a while with this? I mean the current SVN not compiling and stuff. I'm in no hurry to do this at all so don't feel rushed to fix the issues you are having totem.

Bene
I didn't give you the physics because I assumed it was easy to compile NEW! without the physics and because only the developers had the engine, so I thought it'd make sense if it stayed that way.

Here's the IRC log:

Code: Select all

--- Day changed Mon Oct 08 2012
01:42 < Jappe2> this project dead?
08:24 <@Smibu> nope :) we just moved technical discussion (implementation details) to another place, so this channel wont be cluttered
08:24 <@Smibu> this channel is for discussing features
08:59 < Louskebab> holy hand grenade please
17:05 < bene> Smibu: Possible to listen in on the technical discussion?
17:16 < Louskebab> no
17:17 < Louskebab> they're discussing their private saveload bakdoors
17:17 <@Smibu> nope, but we'll keep you up to date by telling here when we make some progress, dont worry :)
--- Day changed Tue Oct 09 2012
--- Day changed Wed Oct 10 2012
--- Day changed Thu Oct 11 2012
--- Day changed Fri Oct 12 2012
--- Log closed Fri Oct 12 16:46:45 2012
--- Log opened Fri Oct 12 16:47:02 2012
--- Log closed Fri Oct 12 16:49:50 2012
--- Log opened Fri Oct 12 16:50:32 2012
--- Day changed Sat Oct 13 2012
--- Day changed Sun Oct 14 2012
--- Log closed Sun Oct 14 09:27:48 2012
--- Log opened Sun Oct 14 12:42:49 2012
--- Day changed Mon Oct 15 2012
--- Day changed Tue Oct 16 2012
--- Log closed Wed Oct 17 18:38:47 2012
--- Log opened Wed Oct 17 18:42:24 2012
--- Day changed Thu Oct 18 2012
23:30 < Smibu_away> http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8646&p=223764#p223764
23:31 < Ruotiukko> damez zamppe tried warm up already
23:32 < Smibu> :) just some test values off the top of head
23:33 < bene> "One advantage of this CEGUI is that it's easy to customize the "look and feel" of menus." as a user or as a developer?
23:33 < Smibu> as a dev, but it's also possible for users to modify it, if you know XML and how CEGUI works
23:34 < bene> cool
23:34 < bene> i know how everything works!
23:35 < bene> would be nice to have as much as possible configurable.
23:36 < Smibu> yeah of course we'll try to make all things configurable that make sense to be configurable :)
23:37 < bene> menus could make sens
23:37 < bene> e
23:45 < bene> just simple things like mouse vs no mouse vs combination. Or kuski usually plays internal/external/battle could make great for customizing menus.
23:54 < Smibu> i dont think it's necessary to be able to customize the structure of menus. if we design it well, it will be easy-to-use for everyone. menu customization is usually required in IDEs only that have hundreds of different options
--- Day changed Fri Oct 19 2012
00:33 < bene> Smibu_away: yeah nice design would make it unecessary. But what I'm thinking is if its scriptable
00:34 < bene> a person forcusing on battles might make script to always have 10 most recent battle levs in main list(downloaded and done) or so.
00:34 < bene> etc.
00:34 < bene> just curious thats all.
00:51 < Max_> What about for people who don't use menus?
00:52 < Max_> Like me.
00:52 < Xarthok> yeah you can script the whole menu to be one button called "Play"
00:52 < Xarthok> or put a command line on there lol
00:54 < Max_> “So any ride driven in original Elma can also be driven in Elma 2, and the other way round.”—not if the FPS is restricted.
00:54 < Xarthok> fps changes mid-ride?
00:55 < Max_> Sounds silly to me.
00:55 < Max_> It should be the same everywhere.
03:31 < bene> Xarthok: indeed, just play and behaviour according to preference :D
03:31 < bene> you make the preference, behaves as intended.
--- Day changed Sat Oct 20 2012
--- Day changed Sun Oct 21 2012
--- Day changed Mon Oct 22 2012
--- Day changed Tue Oct 23 2012
--- Day changed Thu Oct 25 2012
--- Day changed Fri Oct 26 2012
--- Day changed Sat Oct 27 2012
--- Day changed Sun Oct 28 2012
--- Day changed Mon Oct 29 2012
bene wrote:Basically I got this feel: "ahahah we have teh physx and are so much betterterer than everyone and r so much colrar!one!1" from involved developers that I talked to(No hard feelings, just motivating why I will not ever join or be interested in joining).
The biggest (and probably the only) reason why the physics source isn't public is to show some respect to Balázs. Sharing the physics source code to non-developers is pretty much equivalent to it being public. I hope everyone understands this reasoning. The source code might be published some day if the consensus changes, but until then, only developers should have access to it.

I hope this post clears the air :) and btw, you're definitely welcome as a developer, just in case you change your mind.
bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Post by bene »

Smibu wrote: I didn't give you the physics because I assumed it was easy to compile NEW! without the physics and because only the developers had the engine, so I thought it'd make sense if it stayed that way.
The biggest (and probably the only) reason why the physics source isn't public is to show some respect to Balázs. Sharing the physics source code to non-developers is pretty much equivalent to it being public. I hope everyone understands this reasoning.
The source code might be published some day if the consensus changes, but until then, only developers should have access to it.
While it might be easy to compile without physics you don't get all features, and using a slimmed down version just because I have Linux feels quite bad.
I hope you understand. I mean I understand why you would keep it secret or want to keep it secret.
Smibu wrote: I hope this post clears the air :) and btw, you're definitely welcome as a developer, just in case you change your mind.
Yes it does, well I was never mad or anything, my post maybe sounds way worse cause I drunkposted, but still sums up what I felt towards the project as a whole.
I guess the feeling of negativity and being excluded since 2012 gave me this general impression and thinking about it over the years it was only worsened cause I never talked about it with you.
I should probably have talked about it with you in pms instead/before posting here osv but brain is stupid when drunk. Thanks for clearing it up for me, so I can feel less negative about the project as a whole.

I can't join the project now cause I can't do any work or motivate doing any work, oh and I don't know the basics of git. Maybe some time in the not so far future, but impossible to say now.

To ask about elma2. Is there no fps limiter available?
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

Nice that things got clearer :) and about FPS limiter - the current version doesn't have that but it's pretty easy to add so it'll be in the next version.
totem
39mins club

Post by totem »

Git basics ('origin' is the default name of remote repository):

# clone origin
git clone --recursive repository/to/clone/lolo.git my_clone.git

# create a branch locally (this will also switch git to the newly created branch)
git checkout -b some_modification_branch

# do code modifications

# commit your branch locally
git commit -a -m "commit message"

# push your branch on origin
git push -u origin some_modification_branch

# then someone can merge the branch to master
This is how I work with Git, but of course you can choose your own process. Also, I usually set aliases to git commands (for example, "git commit -a" is aliased with "gcommit")
Git syntax is a bit tedious to learn, but fortunatly there is a shit load of tutos on internet
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

Tried with new computer and it seems work correct. One thing is a need, to be able to start lev with "small enter" at numpad.
Team SPEED

milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

the enthusiasm (and thus the update rate) typically follows this kinda of behavior
based on the current status of elma2, it looks like ~30% of the EOL has been reproduced (and who knows how much more was planned)
extrapolating current update rates, it will never be finished, not even close
[carebox]
Mawane
Kuski
Team: SV

Post by Mawane »

eol is successful, sure could be more content but its perfect like this
Website || TT:41:45:64 || Team Image
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198025490048]Image[/url]
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

That was a very useful contribution Maw, thanks.
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Mawane wrote:eol is successful, sure could be more content but its perfect like this
Not perfect, just good enough.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

New rec format could allow unlimited merging and include player nicks.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
BlaZtek
Kuski
Team: CMR

Post by BlaZtek »

What is happening here? I give you 1 year Smibu... :( Dedication to this project please... Tell me hard if this is very unfair said by me. If so I am very sorry, but this is just how I feel.

Smibu go go (y)
[13:22:24] (ImagebEAT) blaz super pro
[17:06:15] (ImageRamone) ok I suckj. blaz rules
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

Status update:

sigveseb joined the project in November. He's doing replay-playing related stuff at the moment. Check out his cool homepage: http://arkt.is/

I did some large refactorings in December - the external levels are now loaded on a separate thread so there will be no lagging initially. It only lags slightly if the external list is visible while loading because it has to be refreshed periodically. Another (internal) improvement is that the list component is now templated so it supports any objects. So it'll be easy to make replay lists, etc. and whatever is needed.

I would say the next version will be released whenever replay playing has been implemented and other minor things promised so far. I won't provide any deadlines because it would add unnecessary pressure. Things proceed whenever we have time for this. For example, as I said before, I'm working on my thesis atm. It's about 50% done and will try to finish it by May/June.
14:52 < domi[id]> skit0r, can't make elma2 cuz it's already being made by others. i can start elma3
Surely you could join the project if you wanted. Not so sure if it would make sense to start something like this from scratch.
BlaZtek
Kuski

Post by BlaZtek »

(y)
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

I just thought of something, dunno if its doable but how about doing "immortality apples" So that when you take this apple, you can't die until you eat another apple. Wud be cool for ffs imo, you need to plan which apples to take in what order etc.

These apples should have a yellow colour imo.
Team HotHorses, and I'm converting to Icelandian now...
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

How about an update on 28.4.2015? one year after previous :)
BlaZtek
Kuski

Post by BlaZtek »

I like your sence of humor Mawane.
Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

No, that's not funny at all. Mawane is serious. I too wold like an update for the 28th of April.
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

Maybe the appropriate date would be the April 1st.
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

niN wrote:I just thought of something, dunno if its doable but how about doing "immortality apples" So that when you take this apple, you can't die until you eat another apple. Wud be cool for ffs imo, you need to plan which apples to take in what order etc.
This could be generalized easily - there could be a special object that would be optional to take and you could assign an action to it (toggle/disable/enable invulnerability, toggle/disable/enable no-gas/no-volt, etc...).
Mawane wrote:How about an update on 28.4.2015? one year after previous :)
Would be nice, but can't probably make it. In any case I'll be able to continue the work on next weekend, now that the (more or less important) Elmanager update is done and I don't have that many other hurries either.
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

niN wrote:I just thought of something, dunno if its doable but how about doing "immortality apples" So that when you take this apple, you can't die until you eat another apple. Wud be cool for ffs imo, you need to plan which apples to take in what order etc.

These apples should have a yellow colour imo.
Death made a rec of almost the same thing: http://www.recsource.tv/r/playbugfxz
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Wow, that's really really interesting. I think some very complex multi-style levs would be possible with this.
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

Good idea smibu!

Also thought of something now; how about the possibility to set gravity strength?
Cold
Kuski

Post by Cold »

niN wrote:Good idea smibu!

Also thought of something now; how about the possibility to set gravity strength?
I'll try to implement this in elma 1, it is possible and would be easy to do.
I still have an exam to finish so I'll try to start it this weekend and I'll maybe post the source code here and an example of it on recsource.
I doubt I'll share the program since its still considered a hack and it's bannable.

I'm actually interested in helping the development of elma 2 since it seems like it stalled a lot.
I have some game development experience and know how to reverse engineer elma if you still need some data from it.
Just let me know smibu.
Canada
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

Cool Cold (Death?)! I hope as many programmers as possible unite and finish elma 2.

It's already been discussed I think, but it would be really good if levels and recs from elma 1 would work in elma 2 (and maybe vice versa if it's not impsy).
Cold
Kuski

Post by Cold »

niN wrote:Cool Cold (Death?)! I hope as many programmers as possible unite and finish elma 2.

It's already been discussed I think, but it would be really good if levels and recs from elma 1 would work in elma 2 (and maybe vice versa if it's not impsy).
Importing levels/replay from elma 1 to 2 would be easy, the other way around would probably require to patch elma 1. I might have an idea to circumvent this tho.
Although I doubt it will be used since most people will switch to elma 2 if it's ever done and won't come back to elma 1.
Canada
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Cold wrote:I doubt I'll share the program since its still considered a hack and it's bannable.
I doubt anyone cares nowadays, unless it'll work online.
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

In Elma 2 I think it would be cool to have the possibility to dynamically zoom, like with the scroll button, when in a balle. :mrgreen:
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Mrrrr wrote:In Elma 2 I think it would be cool to have the possibility to dynamically zoom, like with the scroll button, when in a balle. :mrgreen:
Already made, but it works with +- buttons.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

forgot to say - fuck you, cold
[carebox]
dawid
Kuski

Post by dawid »

Cold wrote:
niN wrote:Good idea smibu!

I'll try to implement this in elma 1, it is possible and would be easy to do.
Lol i already made it in February:
http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9272
BlaZtek
Kuski

Post by BlaZtek »

Why so hard against Death. I bet he can do good if get a chance.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

i bet he can fuck off
[carebox]
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

"Do you guys have any cigarettes?!"
"No we don't smoke.."
"Fuck off!"
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

i hate people that try hard to waste my time
[carebox]
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

Lousku wrote:
Mrrrr wrote:In Elma 2 I think it would be cool to have the possibility to dynamically zoom, like with the scroll button, when in a balle. :mrgreen:
Already made, but it works with +- buttons.
Cool enough, thanks for the tip :beer:
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Would it be possible to implement into elma2 something like "battle rooms", so there could be paralell events going on? The point is like you make a FlagTag balle, and restrict participants to 20 so there is no crowding, while in the other room a normal battle is held. Ofc there shouldn't be too many rooms (like 3 maybe?), because if there are 10 battles you all want to attend at the same time, it can get annoying.
Thoughts?
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

I think 1 ranked balle slot and unlimited unranked balle slots (pasibly moderated by balle starter) would be best. That way you still have the current balle structure, but whatever bullshit old levs / flagtags / uphills running alongside without disturbing norm balles.
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

If there is flag-tag balle, the minimap should show actual flagger on the edge of minimap, if its over of currently visible place.
Team SPEED

Smibu
Kuski

Post by Smibu »

@Labs yep, some indicator for the flag is a must. I remember some sort of arrow was suggested earlier; not sure which one is better style.

@Tigro of course that's possible, but probably not too high priority. Need to get the basic stuff done first.

Here's a picture of the current dev version where you can see some infos during the ride. Feedback of the text positioning is welcome :)

This was asked already at #new_elma; it was suggested that the apple times should be table-like with right-aligned columns and the layout could be customized. Perhaps the apple list is unnecessarily long because it is scrollable anyway.

The ride info layout is already sort of customizable, as it is loaded from an XML layout file which you can edit with any text editor.

You can see there's no leading zeroes on the timer - is that ok? And comma is the decimal separator, maybe it should depend on the locale?

Is the current style of menus ok? It's called "TaharezLook", included in CEGUI. Other built-in looks are WindowsLook and Vanilla. Here are the pictures of their imagesets:
  • TaharezLook:

• WindowsLook:

• Vanilla:

niN wrote:It's already been discussed I think, but it would be really good if levels and recs from elma 1 would work in elma 2 (and maybe vice versa if it's not impsy).
Yeah, Elma 2 can load Elma 1's recs and levs. Making it work vice versa is more challenging and perhaps not necessary.
niN wrote:Also thought of something now; how about the possibility to set gravity strength?
So you could assign gravity strength to a gravity apple? Easy of course, but not sure how much people would like that possibility :)
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

Smibu wrote:
niN wrote:Also thought of something now; how about the possibility to set gravity strength?
So you could assign gravity strength to a gravity apple? Easy of course, but not sure how much people would like that possibility :)
Yes that's what I mean. Would be another wierd feature for designers to play around with; Like you could set one apple to gravityless and you need to take it with speed to push through to the next apple where gravity is regained. or something... If it's easy I say make it :)
Cold
Kuski

Post by Cold »

niN wrote:
Smibu wrote:
Yes that's what I mean. Would be another wierd feature for designers to play around with; Like you could set one apple to gravityless and you need to take it with speed to push through to the next apple where gravity is regained. or something... If it's easy I say make it :)
http://www.recsource.tv/r/measkiofjd
Shitty level, but the concept is there.
In my opinion, it makes level-making way harder and really not worth it, but I guess it's an option and easy to program.
Canada
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

that's really cool, especially the start part with the pipe :mrgreen:
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Mawane
Kuski

Post by Mawane »

awesome demonstration rec
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Smibu wrote:Is the current style of menus ok? It's called "TaharezLook", included in CEGUI. Other built-in looks are WindowsLook and Vanilla. Here are the pictures of their imagesets:
Taharez looks pretty terrible imho. Something minimal like that Vanilla seems better. But dunno, I guess it's easy to change that later.

It's hard to say whether it would be nice to adapt to new gravity strengths in every battle. Most people probably wouldn't like it. But 0 gravity is nice and predictable and it could make for really interesting levs.
Smibu
Kuski

Re: Elma 2 - updated 20.9.2015

Post by Smibu »

It took a while, but here it is:

Elma 2 0.2.0

Windows 32-bit
Windows 64-bit
Ubuntu 32-bit (tested on Ubuntu 14.04 and 15.04)
Ubuntu 64-bit (warning: this probably won't work very well; see below)

On Ubuntu, probably the easiest way to install is this:

sudo apt-get install gdebi
sudo gdebi <filename>
The 64-bit Ubuntu build has a strange bug that causes the menus to be very small, unreadable and they appear in wrong positions. The in-game cursor goes in wrong direction when you try to move it. The timer, speed, max speed and apple infos are not shown either. You can try the 64-bit version if you want, but if it has this bug, just remove it and install the 32-bit version.

What's new?

* Replay playing (no replay list yet; you can only replay the last ride)
* FPS limiter with const-FPS and non-const-FPS modes
* Speed, max speed, one wheel status and appletakes are shown during ride (you can hide them along with timer, but not yet individually)
* Simple keyboard shortcut mechanism for buttons
* Numpad enter key is now an alias for normal enter key

Bug fixes:

* Ground and sky textures were displayed upside down
* Grass was rendered incorrectly in non-centered camera mode

You can control replay playing with the same keys as while playing. The keys are:

Accelerate -> Fast motion (2x)
Right volt -> Fast motion (4x)
Brake -> Slow motion (0.5x)
Left volt -> Backward
Turn -> Pause

Holding left shift multiplies/divides the speed by 4 in fast/slow motion, respectively.

You can also toggle free camera mode when playing a replay.

The first letter of a button is the keyboard shortcut for it. For example, in main menu, P=Play, O=Options, E=Exit.

Quick FAQ

Known bugs/unfinished stuff?

* Flagtag mode doesn't work well (e.g. flag is never shown; touching killer won't restart)
* Speed, max speed and one wheel status are not shown correctly when playing a replay
* Old options.dat from the previous version file may cause a crash so you might have to delete it if you still have it
* Bike goes off screen with big zoom and non-centered camera
* Grass is sometimes too thin
* Window state (maximized/not maximized) is not remembered
* Non-ASCII characters in level filenames cause problems
* If you're writing in a textbox and press a key that happens to be a shortcut for some button, the button gets clicked
* Non-centered camera does not get updated properly while playing replay

Expected for next version?

* List of replays
* "Ghost player"
* Replay merging
Lousku wrote:Taharez looks pretty terrible imho. Something minimal like that Vanilla seems better. But dunno, I guess it's easy to change that later.
Agree about Taharez, but it turned out that the change isn't that simple because the "Vanilla" style lacks some definitions of certain components. So it's probably easier to edit this TaharezLook if needed.

So download and test, and don't forget #new_elma @ IRCnet. :)
Last edited by Smibu on 28 Sep 2015, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
Ruben
Kuski

Re: Elma 2 - updated 20.9.2015

Post by Ruben »

Mac support coming? I'll gladly test.

EDIT: Oke tested Windows 32-bit (on OSX Yosemite 10.10.5) through Wine, it runs really smoothly, much better than EOL. I don't know if this is because of Wine or because of the game itself, though. Both windowed and fullscreen works.

The game itself is oke. Interface is a good idea, but a bit ugly imo, especially the mouse. Remapping of controls is a pain, because you can't map an already used key, so you'll have to find where it's used and change it. Ez fix with simple dialouge box that asks "Do you want to override?"

Else, keep up the good work =D
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.