NoobStyl-competition

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

NoobStyl-competition

Post by Orcc »

Helo! I'm arranging a new competition.

The point of the competition is to drive as noob-like rec as you can in the given NoobStyl.lev. The level isn't "easy", so it will be tricky to master the style!

Two rules apply:
1) You have to finish the level.
2) No excessively long recs. There's no minute limit but some common sense, it's not fun to watch five mins of trying the same ez spot.

I will be the judge myself and rate the recs based on nabness and entertainment factor. Send me your recs by lauta or irc pm, one rec per kuski. If the competition is fierce enough I'll donate some money for EOL in winner's name.

The competition ends on Monday 1.6.2015 21:00 EEST, I'll post the results here when I'm done (hopefully soon after that).

Additional note: Ville_J can't participate, he would be pre-eminent at this.
NoobStyl.lev
(1.93 KiB) Downloaded 1442 times
Results

A total of 13 people sent in their recs. There were some very good runs, but it became very clear that nablike driving is very hard once the moves come from your spine. Being the lone member of the jury was quite hard, so some people might disagree with some positions. I tried to be as objective as possible and consider various aspects of the runs. Since Mopolauta has no [spoiler] tags, I will just write down the results and reviews in descending order.

13. Lukazz - noobstylluk.rec
Very professional skill start with braking and alovolt. Also a few other alovolts, which are quite too pro. The best nab part was the end with panic-style volting to end up in the loop instead of last uphill.
noobstylluk.rec
(72.66 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
12. chris - noobstch.rec
Very much varying in the skill level through the run. Some of the brakings and close-call survival parts required high skill, but then for example the last part of the lev seemed so hard to finish. Extra mention for the daredevil first jump into the last loop.
noobstch.rec
(179.03 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
11. SveinR - NoobStylSveinR.rec
World class bike handling with brake. Seemed a bit that the nabness was tried to be achieved by lacking volts. Very nice end with pausing to think wategak to do when ended up in two-wheel hang.
NoobStylSveinR.rec
(101.13 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
10. kuchitsu - noobstyleku1.rec
The first part of the lev had some very precise controlling of the bike, whereas after 45 secs the kuski transformed into very sloppy. Some good nabbing in the end, but a little inconsistent run.
noobstyleku1.rec
(102.13 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
9. Mrrrr - NoobStylMrrrr.rec
The level of playing stayed the same nicely throught the run. Too bad the overall skill level of the driver was more than plain nab. The rec would have simpy needed worse driving.
NoobStylMrrrr.rec
(64.03 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
8. veezay - noobstylvz.rec
Braking skills very professional. A couple very lovable random errorish and sloppy volts. Nice wrong direction throttle in one wheel hang. Could've hoped for an unluckier end.
noobstylvz.rec
(76.2 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
7. RedLine - beatedPab.rec
Start was very good. Also throughout the run the rec was very consistent with a little aggressive playstyle, no time spent to stop and think. Sadly the hang jump from the last apple was way too smooth and skilled.
beatedPab.rec
(52.21 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
6. BlaZtek - NoobStylBlaz.rec
Very thrilling run. In a sense it seemed believable that the driver was being lucky in many spots, but just some small details made it seem like there are hidden skills behind the kuski. Nice excitement factor though.
NoobStylBlaz.rec
(69.43 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
5. Lousku - noobstylous.rec
A bit controversial rec. The driver seemed to have learned some tricks for various parts of the lev, like the start apple and zig-zag part. Then sometimes he had big troubles with very ez spots. Quite good run representing noob+ skialz group.
noobstylous.rec
(95.28 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
4. Bludek - level1.rec
Very solid overall performance. Aggressive playstyle, no time left for thinking, just throttling on. Nice job to stop at last apple hang by throttling instead of braking. At times it seemed like the driver has the control at hard times. Nevertheless entertaining and solid run. Also binus mention for nab Lauta pm.
level1.rec
(135.46 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
3. jonsykkel - vilejon3.rec
Overall very good, kept the touch very solidly. A couple very well executed random volts. The kuski seemed very confident, since there were no panic places to be seen.
vilejon3.rec
(89.49 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
2. Jappe2 - NoobStylJ2.rec
Very very nab driving here. The driver's carefulness could be seen in many parts, where he needed to gather some courage to attempt the parts, especially the fine-tuning at two minutes part. Some balancing brake usage, but it was consistent.
NoobStylJ2.rec
(210.33 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
1. Laramie - NoobStylTiina1.rec (finished run MasterTi.rec)
I might get some shit from this, but I'm okay with taking it: the winner rec dies near the end, something which I originally almost allowed. Nonetheless, yes, this rec is against the rules. It's just too good to let go, since I was by far the most entertained watching it. This is truly pure nab driving, being careful in every spot, doing random recovery moves when things don't go as planned. It is unfortunate that the rec isn't finished. Also note that Laramie did finish the lev and that run is also very good.
NoobStylTiina1.rec
(149.4 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
MasterTi.rec
(93.57 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
Congratulations Laramie and thanks to everyone for playing! Someone also put very much effort into trying to download the lev, random binus mention to that person as well.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Ruben
Kuski

Re: NoobStyl-competition

Post by Ruben »

I'll just do my best and my natural noob-factor will see me through to victory.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Cool idea! This will be very interesting if you'll provide some commentary on each submitted rec, saying in what ways it looks and doesn't look nab. I think it isn't so easy to fake. I'll have to watch some noob videos on YouTube before playing.
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

Yep, I'll have to do some kind of commenting or else it'll be impsy for myself to put a ranking for the replays.

Pab seemed to pretty well catch the essence of this competition, below are some Koopa ideas from #across.

[21-05]-(20:14:47) (pab) imo best strategy is to get max drunk before playing
[21-05]-(20:15:07) (@Orcc) or change keys
[21-05]-(20:15:39) (pab) use some key delay program
[21-05]-(20:18:48) (ville_j) i hire some of my friends to play
[21-05]-(20:19:13) (pab) new tip: play with 1 finger
[21-05]-(20:21:00) (pab) actually great strategy to put yourself into the skin of a new young noob kuski that has not full knowlegde of controls and coordination
[21-05]-(20:20:51) (@Markku-) new old tip: play with ps controller
NoobSty2-competition

Lee
37mins club

Post by Lee »

I noticed that a lot of new players don't know about the brake key. My tip to you: change your brake key to something else.
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

I only use alias brake key in needed starts. Am I noob?? :(
God Bless America
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Always used arrows for elma, no alias. But then again, I'm the Image
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

how is it that the level has been downloaded 445 times. that many people dont care about this game anymore.
God Bless America
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

Someone went to the mood and started nabbing already with the downloading part (I guess Bjenn)
NoobSty2-competition

Laramie
Kuski
Team: MiE

Post by Laramie »

Very nice competition! Perfect!! ^^
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

I've received some great material, but you've still got a couple days left to nab this competition!
NoobSty2-competition

kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

over 1000 downloads :D
I've got a couple recs, very hard to decide what to send, what is noob enough and what isn't...
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

So there's over a thousand mans lurking lauta and never posting because they consider themselves too noob to contribute, but now finally Orcc gave them an opportunity to be relevant and they all donga his lev. Good job Orcc!
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Laramie
Kuski

Post by Laramie »

Can't wait for tomorrow! :S
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

Results updated to the first post!
NoobSty2-competition

kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Cool contest and excellent analysis by Orcc! Though I can't help but be skeptical about that Laramie person, especially the pink messages and smileys imo look like a desperate attempt by some pro kuski to pass himself off as a noob girl (really, who writes like that on gaming forums nowadays?). It just sounds like a perfect plan for a contest like this: make yourself look like a real nab, then obviously the judge will be very biased about your rec. But of course I don't have any serious evidence to accuse anyone of anything. I'm simply suspicious.
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

some entertaining noobness there indeed, too bad i was too lazy to make the run, feels easy top3 :p

funpart: gave the lev to my gf to see if her rec would make it... well, first few runs were kinda bad, but within few minutes her recs would be out of top3 for sure (i was not helping). the only time she played elma before was 1 year ago when i made her play warm up, she did 15:low in about 30 minutes, thats kinda pro i guess. took me months to go under 15 in wu back in the years

NICE COMPETITION, ill happily take part in next one if it comes
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

Thanks for the feedback!

Laramie actually is nick-o-matic's girlfriend, or so he claims, and at least I have no reason to doubt it :) And even if that wouldn't be the case, I feel that replay is still win-worthy.
NoobSty2-competition

Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Fuck forgot to send rec. Well damn.

I DEMAND ANOTHER! This was fun.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Fun recs =)

Extra binus nabness points to Orcc for nat using recsource in 2015.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

Well, I've just seen jonsykkel's one and Laramie's one.

I could not have done better than jonsykkel's in nabbing this. However, behind -- indeed -- can be seen that a pro was in control. Some parts made me laugh because he was trying very hard to be nab. He was good at it.

I agree that Laramie, on the other hand, looks just like a n00b. I'm left wondering who really was behind the wheel: a pro, or just a nab? If that's a pro, then my hat's off to them for their performance.
roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Ye fun little competition. Dayme, would have submitted my rec if I knew there was going to be sach elaborate evaluations of the recs.

I fully believe that's really nom's girlfriend playing (I've met her ! !). I can ez imagine nom giggling behind her watching her play =)
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

being last in noobstyle-competition is no shame.
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

i forgot what real noob driving truly looked like. the rec was nabness incarnate. i couldnt help but shed a tear at the final finish and bask in all the glory that is elma and nostalgia that comes along with it. it was like watching your friend play for the first time, rooting them on every step of the way, the constant nail biting, the impatience, the need to take the keyboard away and show them how its done. good job laramie! this rec is pure gold! it captures the old noob in all of us!
God Bless America
Laramie
Kuski

Post by Laramie »

My warmest thanks and appreciation to all of you ^^ I feel exceptionally blessed and fortunate to be chosen as the queen of Noob-styl (: The level was first hard but I finally managed to finish it. I planned all styles by myself even though nom cheated a bit by creating training level for downstair part.

First I want to give special thanks for lovely Orcc <3 for arranging this great competition! XOXOXOXOXO Thank you for all wonderful contestants as well for being part of this great competition :)

Finally, my dear coach nom, thank you for all support during this competition and celebrating this special day. I'm really grateful for teaching me the direction changing space button. It helped a lot! :-* Thanks also for advicing how to create profile over here and for arranging the rights for posting pm to Orcc. Last but not least thank for help with sending my rec. It was the most tricky part :D
BlaZtek
Kuski
Team: CMR

Post by BlaZtek »

Was great fun to make a nab rec. Turns out it was much harder than expected.
[13:22:24] (ImagebEAT) blaz super pro
[17:06:15] (ImageRamone) ok I suckj. blaz rules
HatCat
Kuski

Post by HatCat »

::waving::

Hello mopogirl #2! :)))
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

after seeing the winrec im glad i never finished my work in progress, i was being far too fast still and now after seeing a true nab rec my nabbing looks pretentious. One finger only replay looks quite nab but you cant unlearn the understanding of elma physics, also the survival reflex is too deep in backb0ne.
Laramie
Kuski

Post by Laramie »

Hi HatCat!! ^^
Mrrrr
Kuski

Post by Mrrrr »

Congratulations on winning :beer:
RiP Mawane ((
RiP Devin ((
wtf mans?!
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

This is a bit late but my dearest congratulations for your win Laramie! Now you have more success in your elma career than I do!

I by the way captured Laramie's performance to video! Sending it in as a rec would have been ultimate nab contest rec by the way - video file instead of rec, but unfortunately my phone often crashes when trying to save longish videos and that happened now too. I wasn't able to find it from the media at first, but now I noticed it is there! So enjoy! The really tense atmospehere should be there. Also Laramie's key configuration, which is remarkably fitting for this contest, is featured. Also you can see that I helped Laramie a bit in some places but I just helped with her own styles so it wasn't cheating. =)

Laramie isn't actually a complete nab in elma as aboyt two years ago she finished something like 19 first internals but after that she hasn't played so I even had to reintroduce her the turning.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

I'm not sure if I'd do any better with that clock ticking in the background; I almost had a nervous breakdown from just watching!

Jokes aside, fun to see the actually run being driven! When I was watching the rec I had the impression it was a pro faking nabness (tapping gas and small things like that seemed a bit non-nab). But if you did actually finish levels 1 through 19 I guess you're not that nab after all... Just 35 more to go!
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

lel nom you have same speakers as me, didnt think anyone else would hav those. Mine are from like 1997 for 50 markkas, great sound quality and stuf for such cheapnes, but a bit of kosketushäiriö nowadays.
jonsykkel
Kuski

Post by jonsykkel »

i have that spekers too as chilt
maybe worst spekers of all time
but maybe mine was broken
status:ONLINE - - -  drinking:GOFE - - - iq:85 - - - elasto mania ranking:#1
Laramie
Kuski

Post by Laramie »

Mrrrr wrote:Congratulations on winning :beer:
Thanks Mrrrr ^^
Zweq wrote:lel nom you have same speakers as me, didnt think anyone else would hav those. Mine are from like 1997 for 50 markkas, great sound quality and stuf for such cheapnes, but a bit of kosketushäiriö nowadays.
Those speakers are mine and 90s style indeed :D I sprayed those silver grey 5 years ago cause the plastic parts had turned to so ugly yellow xD
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

Shame that I missed this, this is one hilarious competition. If there's another one I'm in!

Competition is over but I still decided to share my work http://www.recsource.tv/r/znracdkpyf
:mrhat: