Pokémon GO

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Pokémon GO

Post by Bludek »

Anyone playing Pokémon GO? I've just intalled it and it seems super fun. U walk around and catch pokémon in your city. The only weekness is, that it takes A LOT o battery, especially when you have other applications opened on background on you mobile phone.

I didn't really have time to walk around and try it today, but in the first park in the center of Prague I've captured 5 diff pokémon, so it does not really take that much time to ggggggggget good. After few hours of playing some people have found tons of pokémon/stuff.

It is not released officially worldwide, but u can dl .apk on android and install it when the application is on your phone (allow "trust applications of unknown sources").

It is out for like three days, so I don't have much other info about it, but it might be cool to try.
P.S. it is hyped to oblivion, but it could be the next big thing.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Re: Pokémon GO

Post by Kopaka »

Really wanted to try it, since very interested in augmented reality, wroter papers about it in uni, but alas not out in Denmark yet. Wonder how well that apk will work, since still need content locally?
Polarix
Kuski
Team: TR

Post by Polarix »

i wait some few more days when it officially comes out here in Norway and probably rest of Europe.

Uhm, I saw a review on it, and there are pros and cons.

The biggest issue I have is that you don't actually fight the pokemon you find, you just simply collect them just like that.
Also there seem to lots of bugs and crashes, but that stuff is also due to the server overload. So these things will ofcourse get sorted out.
But I think if they update it with fights and all that, it will be megafun.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

Just installed this and caught my first Pokemon at the office, Bulbasaur! Sounds fun and will walk around the city after work to catch some more, stoked!
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

How can an adult person enjoy something like this? I don't get it.
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Why do adults play games..? Or do you think because it's Pokemon it's childish, maybe better if it were apples?
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Not just childish, more like a pointless waste of time. I understand if someone plays competitive games (we all play Elma after all) where you develop a certain skill and compete with others, but chasing imaginary pokemons? Come on.
ofta
Kuski

Post by ofta »

agree with madness here. i bought pokémon blue in the late '90s and even then i felt too old so i don't think i will even try pokémon go.
onlainari
Kuski

Post by onlainari »

Isn't that geocaching thing also quite popular among adults? Maybe it's like a collectible game. You collect stats and just get a bit of pleasure from that. People have always liked to collect things, if not in games, also elsewhere. Also novel ideas bring extra interest. Then there is the fact that you have to go outside, so it's a bit adventurous to go to places you might not usually go. So for someone the game could be just there as a middle man creating 'chances' to go to random places and maybe get some physical exercise.
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Madness wrote:Not just childish, more like a pointless waste of time. I understand if someone plays competitive games (we all play Elma after all) where you develop a certain skill and compete with others, but chasing imaginary pokemons? Come on.
Well I guess if you think like that then it indeed does sound a bit silly. But you can pretty much do that kind of thinking chain on just about any subject so in the end what's the point of doing anything.. But yeah as onla said I would compare it to geocaching, which is a bit more adult thing than this I guess. I like geocaching too, collecting is human nature and it's nice to go out and search stuff, and really I don't always have anything better to do, so.. why not? The fact that it's Pokemon is a bit silly, but hey adults are allowed to be a bit silly, too!
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

although pokemon was weird for my brain always, imo any activity that gets your fat ass outside is constructive and helpful in the long term (oke not any, but most of the time)
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Somebody saying you are "too old" for something is merely somebody trying to manipulate you into conforming to their image of the social norm. Old settled in people who need a good acid trip always tell others they are too old for something, if you break the social norm, it makes them nervous. You can dress up like a baby and suck a pacifier all day for all I care, you are not too old in my eyes, if it makes you happy and doesn't harm others it shouldn't be criticized.
I haven't tried this game yet, but it looks interesting.
God Bless America
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Oke I've been playing this today and it is quite nice. Very annoying though that it really drains my battery fast, that's getting quite problematic. Is there some stats page where could see other mans stats or something, sounds like an obvious thing but I didn't find any such place yet. Here are some of my pics and mons: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

How does the throwing thing work/feel? From the promotional video it was kinda hard to understand.
ofta
Kuski

Post by ofta »

gimp: i agree.
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

kuchitsu wrote:How does the throwing thing work/feel? From the promotional video it was kinda hard to understand.
You slide your finger on the screen, dragging a poke ball towards the pokemon. There are some mechanics to it and you can throw some curve balls or something and depending on how well you throw there are more chances that you catch the pokemon. You still have like infinite tries, just that the number of your poke balls is limited and you have to collect them all the time. I have come across a few pokemons that I just haven't been able to catch even tho made some 20 tries, I don't really know if the throws are bad or do I need some better poke balls or something to catch them.
Ithy
Kuski

Post by Ithy »

Don't do it.

It will devour your soul.
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

Fun as fuck! Already joined some local mans, is more fun to walk around in group. An easy way to find others is to drop a lure on a pokestop, guaranteed to attract every player in range :D

Anyway, I'm Team Valor and lvl 10 at the moment, walked over 20km. Let me show you my pokemans: http://i.imgur.com/GolRAK5.png
39:37,91
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

This must be the most stupid thing I have heard about in a while. Walk around in the city and pretend to catch pokemons xD
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Call it stupid, but yesterday I walked 2.5 hours from work to home, and I have never ever before done that, how great is that?! Level 9 atm..
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Good for you Ville! I have started running myself, 4th time yesterday and I managed to run the whole way 3.8 km ;D
Didn't see any pokémons though :P
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

caerful with that pokeman on highway
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

I give this fad a month max.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

It obviously won't be all over facebook forever or anything like that, but many people will still play of course. I think the bigger impact is that it will create more phone games/apps that are a hyper reality sort of thing.
God Bless America
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Level 16 now! Levels starting to come slower now. Pretty good tactic is saving up a lot of cheap evolutions for Pidgey, Weedle, Caterpie, Rattata etc, using a lucky egg for double XP and doing all of the evolving at once.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

[carebox]
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

Now that officially released I went out first time tonight to try. Time went by sik fast, probably oke motivation to start walking trip every day like used to back in the days and get some needed exercise. Didn't understand shit at first but read a bit after came home and okenp I guess. Already looking forward to going out again and spy
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

That Vaporeon video is sik. I am lvl 11 just by having app opened when walkin somewhere. I didn'r rly go for pokéhunt with anyone yet, but will do :) :) I have very beisik pokémon, only one Scyther that hatched from 10km egg and one Jynx I catched, coz went by lured pokéstop in city center. Didn't rly battle for gym yet. I'm having real fun, tho. Wanna catch 'em all, but it seems like a tough job.

edit: Did that lucky egg + evolve tactic just when i hit lvl 9. Worked well. Also tried incense once, but it only attracted shit pokemon to my. Maybe I should do it in better area than my suburb.
btw the app is officially released in many many countries now (including Czech), so I dl-ed "official" version, but nothing changed at all (unsurprisingly).
edit2: Ok, smth changed. Since i dl-ed the new app, tracking is broken for my. Every pokémon is 3 paws away - I tried hunting for Hypno yesterday, but it was impossible without working "nearby feature". Which reeeeeealy sucks, coz that was one of the most fun to do - lookin for new pokémon around neighbourhood.
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

The 3 pawqs problem is for everyone I think.
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Many people in town here playing this game ;D
I followed a friend yesterday night on a long walk, but the game didn't work because servers were overburden.
It's so weird to see people walk around with their phones trying to find pokemon =DD But at the same time fun!
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Seeing Hardwell playing Pokemon theme in Ultra Europe made me smile so much))) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1pb9E ... be&t=23600
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

My phone has old Android but luckily found out this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD-nvyuEr6M (is legit no backdoors), so was trying it out today and is max fun :D Anyone knows if you are able to catch any pokémon at level 1 or do some only appear on higher levels? I couldn't find this info anywhere. And the 3 paws thing is a bug for all players and my pokédex also has a glitch when I click on mans in have in it.
Boomer
39mins club
Team: LOS

Post by Boomer »

Met Bjenn today at restaurant and afterwards, he introduced me to Pokemon GO. Seems more fun than I initially thought. Walked around some 30 mins, was coal. Dunno how long it will be interesting though.
Team LOS website

<jaytea> uh milk was invented in 1966
-
<teh_mila> bah, fucked up nice labpro ride cause i almost fell of the chair:)
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Yeah I'm thinking the same, but at the moment it's very fun =D
My colleagues at work made me start playing, level 6 at the moment. We can go out on "pokenad" at lunch time etc..

A friend of mine is level 20, probably one of the highest in town lol. I will start work together with him when he get back to town.

I changed my view on this game after I tried it myself, I was very skeptical at first and thought it was just plain weird, okay it still is but it doesn't matter because so many are playing it haha!
Polarix
Kuski
Team: TR

Post by Polarix »

It is kinda weird, but I don't care anymore.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Bjenn wrote:thought it was just plain weird, okay it still is but it doesn't matter because so many are playing it haha!
Bandwagon effect.
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

culinko wrote:Anyone knows if you are able to catch any pokémon at level 1 or do some only appear on higher levels? I couldn't find this info anywhere.
I think you can but I'm not sure. I found an Alakazam in level 7 but it ran away. Currently I'm level 18 and got 64 different pokemons. I find the game very fun and a good reason to stay more active.

If you guys want to attack a gym I got some tips.

1. Don't use your stardust on weak pokemon or evolve rare pokemon that's under 300 cp.

2. The higher trainer level you get, the higher cp level you find, which means it needs less upgrades.

3. Level up fast by saving up candies from common pokemons, then when you get lucky eggs which double xp around level 10, do a mass evolve and get 1000xp per evolve or 2000xp if it evolves to a new pokemon.

4. Catch a high level starter in 300-500cp level it up with stardust cause it's cheaper before evolution. Then evolve into a pokemon from 500-1500cp depending on your level, pokémon and cp. If it has three evolutions the second form gives like max 200 cp extra.

5. Don't attack a gym if you can't atleast beat one pokemon. Meaning if the worst pokemon in the gym has over 500 cp than you it's quite little chance to do damage. If you can't beat the first pokemon, the gym gains more prestige just making it more work. You always get to use 6 of your pokemons in an attack. If you feel an opponent gets to tough you can run away and still do damage by beating 1 of them while not wasting all pokemon for nothing. I did manage to barely beat a 900cp water pokemon with a 500cp electric pokemon.

6. You can really crush a gym attacking at same time someone else is. Then it's 2 vs 1 even if you're from different teams. Like red and yellow can fight together to beat blue.

7. If the gym is your colour you can see a logo in left corner. When the logo is there it means there is an available slot so you can add a defender. If it's not there the gym prestige is to low meaning you gotta fight your own gym with only one pokemon to train the gym and not your pokemon unfortunately. Again you have to beat atleast one pokemon to gain gym prestige so remember to keep a good fighter out of the gym if you want to do this.

8. You can cash out coins and stardust in the store when you got a pokemon in a gym. Go to store and click the shield in top right corner to do this. For each pokemon that's in a gym when you cash out you get 10 coins and 500 stardust. But once you cash out you gotta wait 21 hours until you can do it again. At the moment it's hard just being in two gyms at once so it's like a gamble, how many can you have at once.

9. If you're low level, find a gym with your colour and see if there is a spot. You can also steal gyms. It's visible if a gym is under attack, you see fire and tornado and stuff on the logo. Then go to the gym and watch the current prestige level by clicking on the logo if it's 1 it's close to being captured. When the team holding the gym dies the gym goes white untill someone puts a new team in there. So be quick and add a pokemon before the others and cash out your daily doze before they retake it again.

10. Lag can be pain here aswell. You attack by tapping the enemy, but wait tapping untill the GO dissapears from screen to avoid start lag. Hold on screen to use special attack when the blue bar fills up. If it's a weak special you get multiple and can fire series of special attacks. Hold it long enough till another small blue bar under the others is filled to use it. Dodge by swiping left and right. Normal attacks seems hard to avoid but the special attack got some charge and there appear text on screen. I usually multi swipe as fast as possible to avoid them. The worst thing to happen is end lag which is the enemy being dead but it doesn't load quick enough so it keeps attacking you. Then just keep swiping and it will eventually die unless you do. To avoid it you could check the server status online before fighting on this site for instance PokemonGoServerStatus and if it's says unstable there is a good chance you could get stuck in the battle and die.
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

Do you know which common Pokémon is the best for evolution with lucky egg? I have lots of Weedles, Ratattas and Pidgeys. Or do I save for one of each? Also, I will wait for evolving/powering up (therefore not fighting gyms) until level 20. With each trainer level, your pokemons get more max CP, so you might catch a more CP one on higher levels without the need to power it up so much. Also, not only CP, but HP matters too. See this guide: http://www.appunwrapper.com/2016/07/16/ ... to-evolve/. And this guide says that you should evolve first before powering up: http://twinfinite.net/2016/07/pokemon-g ... -raise-cp/. Not sure how good it is, just pointing it out.

And I just remembered, when I caught my first Pokémon, I went to the Pokédex to see that only 33 numbers were here. Then with each new one, it went up. Currently I am at 133 (Eevee). Does this list go all the way to 151? Is it normal that it doesn't show the 151 from the start?
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Reached level 8 today. I have caught 24 pokémons and seen 25. It's a Poliwag I caught and the app froze so it didn't count, happens on a regular basis unfortunately.
Especially today the server/servers has been very unstable and laggy.

If you use real money in this game the best way to do it is buying egg incubinators, I haven't bought anything though and probably won't in the future either.

My highest atm is a Jynx with 274 CP.
I haven't used any of my candies or dust yet, so I will do a 30 min Lucky egg session when I'm level 9 or 10 as Mats described (3.)
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

Ok I found this: http://www.pidgeycalc.com/ :D
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

Casually started playing it on my way home from work the last few days but only got bad ones, still quite fun anyway. Today on my day off I visited the city park which has 3 Pokestops all with lures (any time of the day) and now I'm level 9 with 38 caught and 41 seen. With common sense this game is great for getting people off their asses and spend time outdoors, taking walks and unite, it just happens to be a Pokemon game.
Mats
39mins club

Post by Mats »

culinko wrote:Do you know which common Pokémon is the best for evolution with lucky egg? I have lots of Weedles, Ratattas and Pidgeys. Or do I save for one of each? Also, I will wait for evolving/powering up (therefore not fighting gyms) until level 20. With each trainer level, your pokemons get more max CP, so you might catch a more CP one on higher levels without the need to power it up so much. Also, not only CP, but HP matters too. See this guide: http://www.appunwrapper.com/2016/07/16/ ... to-evolve/. And this guide says that you should evolve first before powering up: http://twinfinite.net/2016/07/pokemon-g ... -raise-cp/. Not sure how good it is, just pointing it out.

And I just remembered, when I caught my first Pokémon, I went to the Pokédex to see that only 33 numbers were here. Then with each new one, it went up. Currently I am at 133 (Eevee). Does this list go all the way to 151? Is it normal that it doesn't show the 151 from the start?
I've used the lucky eggs on pokestops with lures on. First transfer the useless pokemon for candy, just make sure you got enough left to evolve. Then activate incense if you got one and the lucky egg. Capture pokemon from lure and incense for atleast 200xp or upto 420xp each if you are a pro pitcher. Flip the pokestop for 100xp. Then start your mass evolve for about 5 min till the pokemon spawn again. And you get a maximum output.

There are some sick spots where you can stand in the middle of three stops in cities.

The pokedex always ends on the highest number# pokemon you have seen or caught in every game as I've tried. Which is 11 :P
TT:39.59.86|| AvgTT:41.49.24 || Multi TT:27:43:82 || Team [TR]
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Not sure if anyone mentioned it before but the most important thing about evolving imo is not to power up the pokemon you want to evolve before evolving and to check their (random, I think) moveset after evolving before deciding to power up - the best movesets are both of the same type as the pokemon and get a 25% "same type bonus" to damage. So make sure water pokemon have water type attacks etc. For very common pokemon like Pidgeots and Raticates you can ofc check HP and CP potential but for others I think moveset is more important and then comes the rest.
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

Also found another useful link: https://pokeassistant.com/main/ivcalculator. CP is not everything, you should calculate IV instead. Haven't really played with teh yet. Also, according to the pidgey calc I posted earlier, you should evolve at least 60 cheap pokemons for your lucky egg to be worth it (maybe along with farming pokestops/catching pokemon too) for max XP.
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Just hit level 21 after evolving 70-80 (not sure) pokemans on lucky egg. Catching pokemans on lucky egg is less XP/time than evolving unless it's a previously uncaught pokeman. Spinning pokestops quickly might be worth it tho so it's good to sit at a triple spot for the egg duration, can spin 18 times for 1.8k xp then.
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/c ... h=fc077240

Here about same thing as Culinko linked. So don't waste power-ups on bad pokémons.
Level 15 now =)
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

8-ball: Nice info, good to know that catching Pokémons you already have is not worth during the lucky egg. Another question, is it worth waiting until I get let's say 60 cheap Pokémons for evolving or can I just pick 55 cheap ones and 1 of Venonat/Drowzee etc.? Afaik evolving only takes candies and I don't think I will need the candies of these ones later. Also, does it matter if I pick the highest IV Pokémons for these lucky egg evolutions or it doesn't matter cause I will evolve these as a low level trainer so the result will still be shit?

Edit: Is it worth also finishing the hatching of 9 eggs during the lucky egg? And does the egg automatically start hatching once you complete the distance?
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

I am lvl 15 atm, I am saving pidgeys, rattatas and weedle for Lucky egg again :) Tried some gym battling and realized, it is the best just walk around city center and collect pokéstops and catching pokémon. I am yet to find good place for catching water pokémon (maybe near Vltava river? or dunno). I never even saw magicarp, horsey and only very few other water pokémon.

Also when u ride a bus or a car, it is possible to collect pokéstops even when u do not stop next to them. Just pre-click it in the distance, leave it opened and spin it at the very moment when the sign "this pokéstop is too far away" disappears. I do it when I drive the bus to city center.

In the past I also made mistake, that I didn't collect Gym money right away. I didn't even realize it is possible sometimes to put low-level (or whatever) pokémon to your team's gym even without battling it - one slot is sometimes opened.

Still like the game. The best feeling is to get a new pokémon :)