World Cup 7 - Starts on February 19th!

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

Ramone
50mins club

World Cup 7 - Starts on February 19th!

Post by Ramone »

World Cup 7 will start Feb 2017.

15 events
1 winner

Start making levels, we want them.

More info coming later.

GET STOKED (or go to bed)

Edit: World Cup 7 starts on February 19th!

http://wcup.site/
Last edited by Ramone on 26 Jan 2017, 23:30, edited 2 times in total.
Elasto Mania - ez better
kuchitsu
Kuski

Re: World Cup 7 - Feb 2017

Post by kuchitsu »

Yes yes yes!
Will definitely try to submit a lev or two.

Btw are collab levs made by multiple people allowed? Not sure if there has been a precedent.
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

Def allowed. You can send anything. We will either use or discard.
Elasto Mania - ez better
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

But you can't play a level that you made or cooperated on, can you? That's probably why kuchitsu asked.
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

#stoked
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

In World Cup it has always been allowed to play your own levels, will be like that for World Cup 7 aswell!
Elasto Mania - ez better
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

Madness wrote:But you can't play a level that you made or cooperated on, can you? That's probably why kuchitsu asked.
Yes you can play own levels. Remember MP? One of his hat-trick wins was in his own level.
Polarix
Kuski
Team: TR

Post by Polarix »

Awesome news Ramone.
BlaZtek
Kuski
Team: CMR

Post by BlaZtek »

o,o
[13:22:24] (ImagebEAT) blaz super pro
[17:06:15] (ImageRamone) ok I suckj. blaz rules
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

My computer gave up a few days ago. So if you have any questions, ask kopaka, roope, markku, ville or px.

Also, dont forget the beer!

Also, we need levels. Not only monsterlevels! Basic but cool shit wanted. If not sure can show us a draft or ideas. And we can help out!

Lots of kisses, and get fkn STOKED!!!!
Elasto Mania - ez better
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

Okay, we've set up an email for you to send your levels in! It's wc7levels@gmail.com.

Of course right now we'd love to get just any kind of submissions. Later we're probably going to inform you guys when we have reached our quota for certain kind of levs, and ask specifically for the kind of levs we need more. Don't be afraid to send in just about anything!
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Wait, so roope is on the level choosing team? Who else is there? More info pls, this is interesting.) And you will respond with comments/advice and stuff when we send our levels?
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

kuchitsu wrote:Wait, so roope is on the level choosing team? Who else is there? More info pls, this is interesting.) And you will respond with comments/advice and stuff when we send our levels?
Yes roope is, who else is we're currently figuring out, we'll give more info as soon as we can, just wanted to get the info about starting time and level gathering out now. And yea coments/advice most likely to some degree.

Also as mentioned before, if anyone wants to take part in arranging please contact me. It won't necessarily mean you can't play, depending on the job.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Just sent a level. I hope the collecting process is going well. :) If not, we'll have to try harder!
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

I can give a little update on what's going on. Currently Markku, roope and myself (possibly Ramone later) is in the level picking committee. We have started to receive levels, but not a whole lot, so we still need many levels of all kinds. If anyone is up for helping out, we could use one for level picking, one for some kind of hyping/PR in lack of better term and one for participating in general discussion of stuff (those could be the same doing multiple of those). Only the first job will require you to not play the cup.

We have not made any final decisions on format, so if you have any input go to http://mopolauta.moposite.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9518

We hope to have a website up soon, which will be useful for spreading the hype.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

Does that mean roopek won't be able to play the cup? :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( So sad, best competitor for me!

As for hype-generation, how about Ruben? He seems to be doing great with EGP ;)
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

I feel like this thread went completely under the radar, or maybe it's just me.. Anyway, cool! I'll try to make a lev or two at least!

Also, please please please please please please please someone take it upon themselves to make a video for the WC after it's over! I'm still waiting for WC6 vid. :(
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

And since it's not mentioned here, do go to #worldcup7 on our Discord or #discord-worldcup7 on IRC (which is a mirror) to discuss this.
39:37,91
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Pawq wrote:Does that mean roopek won't be able to play the cup? :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( So sad, best competitor for me!

As for hype-generation, how about Ruben? He seems to be doing great with EGP ;)
Heh, thanks for the nomination, Pawq. I can do that if it's desireable.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

As for hyping, part of that would be brainstorming ideas to reach the people not in lauta. Those mainly just playing EOL. If anyone has ideas for that, they can just come with them here as well.
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Kopaka wrote:As for hyping, part of that would be brainstorming ideas to reach the people not in lauta. Those mainly just playing EOL. If anyone has ideas for that, they can just come with them here as well.
I think I found a relatively successful method for EGP, but it relies on very manual advertising in EOL at all times during they day. I think advertising for WC7 will be easier, because nobody will ask "what is this?" like they do when I advertise EGP.
<nick-o-matic> niec

roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

My way to advertise GAA last year, script spamming to EOL chat via #irc_eol, was very successful. We got a huge increase in voters in the final phase compared to previous years (of course partly because of rule changes too). Some people were a bit annoyed by this, but I think the good vastly outweighs the bad.

It seems that the pace of levreceiving is slowly but steadily increasing, which is nice; we don't have even close to enough levs for a big enough pool to choose from though. One personal remark: as suspected, I see a lot of these (hard) style/routefinding levs coming in, which is understandable because people want to prove their skills as a designer and have a picture in mind that that's something a cup level should be. Of course those are still important and we'll gladly take those in our inbox, but I'd also like to see people go for something different. Maybe pick some simple theme for a lev: slow, fast, hangs, killers etc.
Also, remember to tell your nick when sending lev (not mandatory ofc but mans could just forget easily), we already got 1 lev from someone whose identity we hev no idea about :>

@Pawq: yeah sorry, of course I also had some willingness to play but I decided it's better this way. Too much commitment for too long time)(
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

roope wrote:My way to advertise GAA last year, script spamming in to EOL chat via #irc_eol, was very successful. We got a huge increase in voters in the final phase compared to previous years (of course partly because of rule changes too). Some people were a bit annoyed by this, but I think the good vastly outweighs the bad.(
Agreed. Maybe it's a bit intrusive, but it really does help.

Is it too late to implement some kind of MoTD in EOL? Could be used for other things too, such as advertising cups, telling donation status if it's <100%, other important news/upcoming changes, etc. I'm thinking somthing that pops up in the console upon connecting, or an automated personal chat message that's sent when someone comes online?
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

I wonder if X-Moto guys could be interested in the cup. Is that game still going?
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

kuchitsu wrote:I wonder if X-Moto guys could be interested in the cup. Is that game still going?
Was that game ever even a thing?
<nick-o-matic> niec

roope
37mins club

Post by roope »

Ruben wrote:
kuchitsu wrote:I wonder if X-Moto guys could be interested in the cup. Is that game still going?
Was that game ever even a thing?
I remember it having an actual scene - some people jumped over to Elma from there, and IIRC some Elma guys that casually tried Xmoto were owning there. No idea if the scene is still alive though. Cool idea and if someone wants, feel free to promote it over there, but I guess people from outside the scene aren't the main target audience in this. Would be much more important to get active, semi-retired or even retired Elmers to play again :)
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

I'm working on a few levels atm that I think may be alright. The only problem is I'm gonna travel starting 11/11,and I won't be home till 8/12. When is the deadline for submitting levels?
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

I would say end of the year is a good time to aim for. Later than that up until february is still possibly, but at that point things will start to get locked down and you'll have fewer chances.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Just an idea (dunno if it has already been discussed or not): It would be nice to have spying option completely disabled in World Cup levels. That way even if you forgot to hide, you wouldn't give away your styles.
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

Madness wrote:Just an idea (dunno if it has already been discussed or not): It would be nice to have spying option completely disabled in World Cup levels. That way even if you forgot to hide, you wouldn't give away your styles.
this.

would be amazing and really good for the cup.
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

Madness wrote:Just an idea (dunno if it has already been discussed or not): It would be nice to have spying option completely disabled in World Cup levels. That way even if you forgot to hide, you wouldn't give away your styles.
100% agree. Although some people seem to like to give away styles, or showing off like: "I'm just cruising nab!", it can ruin the fun and challenge for many others.
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

you should be able to play shown wtf
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

In old Russian cups you could get banned from the competition for posting recs, sharing styles on a public forum and stuff like that. There was a case where someone battled a cup level at #battle hoping that "crazy western hoylas" will come up with an awesome style to use, and his results were nullified when this was found out and he was hated by just about everyone. I don't know why it's okay now.
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

its always been allowed and always been ok, if you want to share styles its your choice dont care what they did in some 5 player cup in russia in 2003. only time sharing styles has been frowned upon is when someone shares a style privately 1 on 1 and then you share it with others
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Vermin Supreme wrote:its always been allowed and always been ok, if you want to share styles its your choice dont care what they did in some 5 player cup in russia in 2003. only time sharing styles has been frowned upon is when someone shares a style privately 1 on 1 and then you share it with others
Argumentum ad antiquitatem spotted.
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

I mean. I think its quite weird to forbid ppl to share style. I mean, ofc can share with friends/teammates/ppl you just colaborate with. Many ppl share styles between teams also when need help (at least thats how it used to be, help here help there) So cant really forbid anyone to show rec/tell style to anyone. But the levels being automaticly hidden during active playtime, that could be a good thing (?) However, then you cant do fun secret areas and other playful stuff untiul after the event. But ofc, no need see that realtime, can upload recs for that too. And this should have lower prio than real hoyling. Or?
Elasto Mania - ez better
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

Ramone wrote:However, then you cant do fun secret areas and other playful stuff untiul after the event.
After the event has ended should be unhidden for sure!

edit: ah fuck forget that, misread your comment...
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Sharing wcup styles publicly is like coming to a chess tournament and suggesting your strategies to players.
iltsu
37mins club

Post by iltsu »

Can i get unlimited spyingrights? I promise i wont play or share styles. ))
Kazan
34mins club

Post by Kazan »

for me no point to play if cant spy or share styles (with team at least)

also fun to see ppl in lev when it just released
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

Madness wrote:Argumentum ad antiquitatem spotted.
fallacy fallacy spotted
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

I still don't see why people would want to show off their styles publicly. It ruins half of the fun for others and removes half of the aspect of the cup: to find the best stylefinder. Also it is very easy to accidentally play shown, and even if you do that for just one run there can be 10 guys who immediately see your moves.

Sharing styles with your team is not only allowed but even encouraged, because cups are one of the very few things where team work matters nowadays.

So how about we make this a cup where we can find out exactly who are the best stylefinders and the best höyläs? Too often there are a couple top guys who compete in finding the best style and the others höyl with the semi-good public style. Even in getting into top 30 can be a big achievement for someone and when you can do it with your very own style it will taste even better.

Just let everyone find their own styles.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Ye it's very annoying when people are showing styles live, they are like "but this so obvious" when in real life it's not.
For some people specific places in levels can be obvious but for many others they're not.

When one person is helping many other with showing a style or route they will get higher up in the positions, and only the people whom managed to be online at that point. It's unfair and a completely stupid act in a serious competition.

Example: Player 1 is overall better than Player 2. Player 1 plays the best he can and gets position 10 in the results. Player 2 sees anpdad playing live and get a style which he normally wouldn't come up with, hence Player 2 gets position 9, when he rather would have position 11 or worse.

So there will be more random stuff in results if people are showing off live.

I vote for making all levels hidden (visible for teammates if possible). Is this something we can make a poll about and decide upon the results, or is this a "OMG WORLD CUP HAS NEVER HAD HIDDEN EVENTS BEFORE WHY WOULD IT NOW" kind of thing?
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

It's not something we can just turn on and off, would need some patching of the server.
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

I would enjoy if was option in eolconf like 'always stay hidden everywhere except balles fuka yuu'
ToMaT
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Kopaka wrote:It's not something we can just turn on and off, would need some patching of the server.
But you can make cup levels hidden, and that is button on/off?
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Bjenn wrote:
Kopaka wrote:It's not something we can just turn on and off, would need some patching of the server.
But you can make cup levels hidden, and that is button on/off?
We can force times hidden, not the player.
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Can anyone contact mila if he would be willing to make a little wcup-patch?
Bjenn wrote:Ye it's very annoying when people are showing styles live, they are like "but this so obvious" when in real life it's not.
For some people specific places in levels can be obvious but for many others they're not.
Yes this is something many people seem to not realize in cups. Just how often do you miss an obvious style in battles?
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Kopaka
39mins club

Re: World Cup 7 - Starts on February 19th!

Post by Kopaka »

We're having a little test cup in preperation for World Cup 7, you can use it to get to know the cup system if you haven't played an EOL cup before.

http://elmaonline.net/statistics/cups/11
kuchitsu
Kuski

Re: World Cup 7 - Starts on February 19th!

Post by kuchitsu »

Just for trivia, who made the level?

edit: or nevermind, it's on the page lol)