How will Elma2 affect the community of Elma?

General discussions related to the official Elasto Mania 2 game and the iOS version.

Moderator: Moporators

umiz
Kuski

How will Elma2 affect the community of Elma?

Post by umiz »

I have to admit that I feel a certain concern. Will there be any new players to Elma1 now when Elma2 is available. Obviously, there are two completely different games. Actually, there are very few similarities I find after playing for about 5 hours. A new player is obviously unaware of these differences. And who starts playing a first version when there's a new version? Will Elma2 cause the Rookie category to disappear in next year's GAA?
Discuss.
[i cruise, i lev, i live]
Zweq
34mins club

Re: How will Elma2 affect the community of Elma?

Post by Zweq »

In the current state of EOL and Elma 2 I don't see any threat to EOL / Elma 1 community. However, if Elma 2 physics will be changed to play like Elma 1 physics (Balazs said that he'll take a look at the physics change on January) and Elma 2 will have continuous developer support (probably quite unrealistic, just my guess) then Elma 2 might surpass EOL in some parts and some of your concerns might become reality. But it's still very improbable and theoretical chance.

One of the biggest problems with Elma 2 is that there is no real time online competition for the best times, something that all new games have for like the past 10 years and what also EOL has. And most likely Elma 2 will never have it either, at least not implemented by Balazs (just my guess). Online mode, if well thought and implemented, also makes cheating more difficult. Without online possibilities I think Elma 2 feels like a downgrade to anyone who has tried EOL.

As long as there is no online play in Elma 2 it seems very improbable that Elma 2 will affect Elma 1 community much.
umiz
Kuski

Re: How will Elma2 affect the community of Elma?

Post by umiz »

Zweq wrote:In the current state of EOL and Elma 2 I don't see any threat to EOL / Elma 1 community. However, if Elma 2 physics will be changed to play like Elma 1 physics (Balazs said that he'll take a look at the physics change on January) and Elma 2 will have continuous developer support (probably quite unrealistic, just my guess) then Elma 2 might surpass EOL in some parts and some of your concerns might become reality. But it's still very improbable and theoretical chance.

One of the biggest problems with Elma 2 is that there is no real time online competition for the best times, something that all new games have for like the past 10 years and what also EOL has. And most likely Elma 2 will never have it either, at least not implemented by Balazs (just my guess). Online mode, if well thought and implemented, also makes cheating more difficult. Without online possibilities I think Elma 2 feels like a downgrade to anyone who has tried EOL.

As long as there is no online play in Elma 2 it seems very improbable that Elma 2 will affect Elma 1 community much.
As always wise words from Zweq. I give my hope to new physics and online mode. The best would be if the two games where integrated somehow so if one plays Elma2 and a battle comes in Elma1 one can see it, vice versa. Balazs let my dream come true :)
[i cruise, i lev, i live]