Win10 update/ eol won't launch

Before starting a new topic read Moposite's Help and earlier topics. Note: this forum is for Elma problems, not Moposite.

Moderator: Moporators

Kiiwi
37mins club

Win10 update/ eol won't launch

Post by Kiiwi »

So after yesterday i can't play.

There's no error message, changing resolution etc via conf.exe doesn't seem to effect anything.
I thought maybe someone has had similar issues and or can tip a quick fix. The game just leaves me with a small gray box on the upper left corner ofthe screen (as if the problem was resolution related) and control panel insists that the game is running (or at least using cpu).

Help, hjälp, hilfe, apuva perkele. thx in advance.

A small "update". Deleting ddraw.dll and or creating ddraw_change_resolution.txt (or enable windowed mode) for it allows me to play... But only on 1024x768 or lower resolutions, which i don't find very optimal... Dunno, maybe just learn to play on low res :D
Last edited by Kiiwi on 20 Feb 2018, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
Image "It's good to be having fun, but it'd be funnier to be good"
bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Re: Win10 update/ eol won't launch

Post by bene »

Did you try the ddraw wrapper viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9256

Let me know if that helps :bear:
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
Kiiwi
37mins club

Post by Kiiwi »

bene wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 09:29 Did you try the ddraw wrapper viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9256

Let me know if that helps :bear:
Yep. Was the 1st thing i tried. Sadly it didn't make no difference. Tried also updating display drivers, go through it's settings and allowing all related stuff (at least theones i think are relevant) for eol.exe on the system. The answer is probably obvious or ez, but orka more at this point.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

welcome to the twisted world of 4:3 resolution on 16:9 screen.

no capitals were used while writing this text.
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Note there's two versions of ddraw, make sure you try both, you can find them here http://elastomania.wixsite.com/-sla/programs
ile
Kuski

Post by ile »

This is exactly why I didn't get W10 even for free. I knew they would fuck up old games.

W7 Works just fine, except no support for newest DirectX versions of course. That's the only bad side I can think of.
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

stupid obvious question: has anyone that had problems with w10 tried running eol.exe in compatibility mode?
Kiiwi
37mins club

Post by Kiiwi »

Got bored of the whole situation, so ditched everything but original files, set 1024x768 for reso and stared at recs for so long that the game didn't look as if it wasn't stretched out.

Now just need time to adjust to the settings. Back to basics.... Goddamit 8)
mena
39mins club

Post by mena »

Did you try DXGL? Not sure if I actually use that or not, but I have a 285696 byte sized ddraw.dll and everything works perfectly on all resolutions, no compatibility mode needed.
Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

Anyone knows how to make Elma rendering when the window is not active? Can't go to IRC etc. and have a look what happens in EOL. This worked before the big evil win10 upgrade.

I use Smibu's DXGL method.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
inf3rn0
Kuski

Post by inf3rn0 »

Hi all,

I bought the game recently and upgraded it to EOL. The problem is that I can not run the game under Win10. I just get the talkative error message "Sorry, internal error.". I tried many different resolutions, that does not seem to be the problem. I also tried this DXGL workaround, but I could not make it work either. Chances are I'm just a complete nab.

Could someone provide a detailed guide on how to make it work with DXGL? Or any other ideas, solutions?

Thx in advance.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

inf3rn0 wrote: 4 Feb 2019, 13:14 Hi all,

I bought the game recently and upgraded it to EOL. The problem is that I can not run the game under Win10. I just get the talkative error message "Sorry, internal error.". I tried many different resolutions, that does not seem to be the problem. I also tried this DXGL workaround, but I could not make it work either. Chances are I'm just a complete nab.

Could someone provide a detailed guide on how to make it work with DXGL? Or any other ideas, solutions?

Thx in advance.
Do you have ddraw.dll in your Elma folder? Try this and see if it helps (simply put the ddraw.dll in your Elma folder and start eol.exe).
Attachments
ddraw.zip
(92.82 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

ddraw.dll is a very common solution. There are actually 2 versions, you can find them both here:

http://elastomania.wixsite.com/-sla/programs

For some people both of them do the job, for some just one, so you're best giving both of them a try.

FYI: the first one (13kB) tends to break the internal editor (make it all glitchy), but retain high fps, while the other one ("win10" - 253kB) doesn't break the internal editor, but significantly lowers the fps.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

pawq wrote: 4 Feb 2019, 20:22FYI: the first one (13kB) tends to break the internal editor (make it all glitchy), but retain high fps, while the other one ("win10" - 253kB) doesn't break the internal editor, but significantly lowers the fps.
Wow, how have I not known about this before! Thanks, now I can finally make levels again :D
Rules | FAQ
ile
Kuski

Post by ile »

SveinR wrote: 4 Feb 2019, 20:33
pawq wrote: 4 Feb 2019, 20:22FYI: the first one (13kB) tends to break the internal editor (make it all glitchy), but retain high fps, while the other one ("win10" - 253kB) doesn't break the internal editor, but significantly lowers the fps.
Wow, how have I not known about this before! Thanks, now I can finally make levels again :D
just use SLE 4Head
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

ile wrote: 5 Feb 2019, 03:41just use SLE 4Head
Nah...no 'p', no go.
Rules | FAQ
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

SveinR wrote: 5 Feb 2019, 09:12
ile wrote: 5 Feb 2019, 03:41just use SLE 4Head
Nah...no 'p', no go.
exactly. However would be really nice if somehow possible high fps AND internal editor :)
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

Windows XP? :P
inf3rn0
Kuski

Post by inf3rn0 »

I tried all suggestions, all versions of the dll. Nothing worked, but thx anyway. Any other ideas?
bene
Hot kuski

Post by bene »

navigator size and zoom, normal zoom.

Also can add a file called message.inf in your elma folder to get more information about the error in cryptic hungarian.
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
FinMan
36mins club

Post by FinMan »

you can come to the discord server, maybe easier to get help real time: https://discord.gg/H9rT8Z
inf3rn0
Kuski

Post by inf3rn0 »

Works! I failed to upgrade to EOL properly. The install guide is a bit misleading (was for me at least), saying:

2. Extract the zip into your Elma folder.

The problem is, the content of the zip file is an EOL folder. So if you extract the zip, you get an EOL folder in your Elma directory, which is not good. So you have to extract the CONTENT of the folder. The message.inf was the savior, saying something about small.abc missing, indeed in cryptic hungarian. I'm hungarian myself, but the error message just does not make any sense :D

Anyway thx for the help everyone.
Last edited by inf3rn0 on 6 Feb 2019, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
ile
Kuski

Post by ile »

use windows 7 virtual machine
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Orcc wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 09:23 Two weeks ago I bought a new laptop with Windows 10 and I'm having some issues getting EOL running. I got it working once (except that the keyboard got stuck with my old button setup) but now on the weekend it wouldn't start. I need to look into it some more when I find some time
This was my post a half year back from another topic. In case it helps someone, I thought I'd post the fix here. The problem for me was in Display Settings -> Scale and layout. I used 125 % which was recommended setting for the laptop screen, but for EOL to run I need to change it to 100 %.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"