Couples Contest 2 - FEM 2018

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Couples Contest 2 - FEM 2018

Post by pawq »

So, as FEM 2018 planning is well underway, I think it's time to have a think about the next edition of the Couples Contest that premiered at FEM 2017! :) Last year I heard numerous calls for this contest to be repeated and some people said it was the most enjoyable / freshest contest they've played in a long time, so since I'm attending this year, I think it's a must!

I would like to spark some discussion on the battle modes and rules. Last year the contest and every round was a surprise, so I had to organise everything in secret, but I think the competition may benefit from some community-wide brainstorming :) I would like to stick to the same format of playing in fixed couples throughout the contest, but variations could be possible if a good enough idea comes up.

Last year the rounds and corresponding rules were as follows:

Round 1: normal online multi battles. Two 20-minute battles requiring some style finding and some hoyling. Rules as in any EOL multi battle.

Round 2: relay battles. Two 20-minute battles where every time an apple is taken, the couple has to swap places at the keyboard. The rule was that only one keyboard and only one set of keys can be used, so the couple has to physically swap places in front of the computer, physically pass the keyboard, or physically switch fingers on the keyboard. Both levels contained an odd number of apples and were designed so that both players would get similar playing time. A controversial bit was that only one set of keys was allowed, so if the two players were used to different key placements, they had to use something they were not comfortable with. However, given the unconventional nature of the battles, I don't think this is much of a problem (I played on different keys myself), and would like to keep this rule, as it adds a physical aspect to the competition.

Round 3: co-op battles. Two 20-minute battles where each player is only allowed to use 3 keys, and both play at the same time. That is, in the first battle player A controls gas, brake and turn, while player B controls left, right and alo volts, and in the second battle player A controls the volts, while player B controls gas, brake and turn. The rule is that any keys on the keyboard can be used, but only one keyboard may be used.

Round 4: blindfolded battles. Two 20-minute battles where one player has his eyes covered (with a blindfold, a tied hood, a sleeping bag, etc.) and controls the bike, while the other gives guidance but cannot touch the keyboard. The rule is that the blindfolded person cannot see the level before or during the battle - it is up to the pilot to guide the driver around the level. The pilot can give directions in terms of keypresses, describe the level, or describe the bike's motion, i.e. all words allowed, but can at no time touch the keyboard or the driver's hands. Here I guess we could specify if any bodily contact is allowed (say, touching the shoulders), or not.

As far as I remember, there were some other rule-related questions during the contest and some of them were decided through quick room-wide discussion, but unfortunately I don't remember anything outside of what the original Couples Contest post contained. So, if anyone remembers (or can think of) any other rules that need specifying, now is the time!

And, of course, please bring up ideas for different round types if you have any :) Perhaps we could replace one of the existing ones, or maybe somehow squeeze another one in?

And, call for levels! I would like to extend this especially to non-FEM people, but again, due to the nature of the battles, I think it should be ok for the designer to play their battle in co-op. The only exception are blindfolded levels, which the blindfolded person should definitely not see before. Please try to think about the levels in terms of the battle types if you wish to make any. Crucially, the blindfolded levels need to be EZ :D

See you in less than 3 months!!! :beer:

====================================================================================================

So! The contest happened on Sunday evening (15.07) and I think it was equally, if not more fun than last year :) The element of surprise was removed, but an important change since last year was that we randomised couples, so people could get to know each other better! The suggestion was put forward by Ramone and voted by the attendees :)

Once again, huge thanks to dani for providing all the levels :kissing_cat:

Below is a screenshot of the final renaults, a link to the full renault spreadsheet, and lev and rec zips. Congrats to jonsykkel & Zero! ;)

Full renaults (see second tab for individual round results)

Zip with all levels
Zip with all win replays

:bear: :beers: :bear:
Last edited by pawq on 22 Jul 2018, 01:40, edited 3 times in total.
pawq
38mins club

Re: Couples Contest 2 - FEM 2018

Post by pawq »

Due to the disappointing lack of enthusiasm, I won't organise a formal Couples Contest this year. If some people are up for it, I'd be more than happy to still play some improvised co-op battles in FEM though.
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

pawq wrote: 2 Jul 2018, 12:06 Due to the disappointing lack of enthusiasm, I won't organise a formal Couples Contest this year. If some people are up for it, I'd be more than happy to still play some improvised co-op battles in FEM though.
People would like it just as much as last year, I'm sure. CC1 was the most memorable contest during last FEM for me :wink:

I think you just have to push people to make levels as an organizer. It's lame but it just works like that :S This was noticable even with World Battle Cup 1. Both me and Ramone spammed about it in EOL and asked people to make levels in private chat.

I can make something for sure if needed.. Please reconsider! :oops:
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I'd reconsider if more people share your view! A bit late to sort out trophies tho (I'm leaving home in 3 days).

If anyone else agrees with Zero and would also see this contest happen (and play), please say!
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

It would be really nice to give it a try, but chances are I won't be around when the contest is held :<
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
bene
Hot kuski
Team: dat

Post by bene »

Woah this is first time I see this post and I'm like wow it's happening and super excited but then I hear it's canceled and have to scroll up to see the first post date.
Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

Blindfolded battle was frustrating. In case you include it, please make a bit easier lev this year.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I think it was an amazing and hilarious challenge, but agree that it was too hard, so I asked for the levs to be easier this year ;)

Btw, if any non-FEM lev maker feels like designing a couple, please let me know! Dani has been doing an amazing job, but still need a few more ;)
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

I've made 6 levels so far, still need one more co op and one relay, if anyone else (who is preferably not going to fem) wants to make some, you can let me know so i don't have to, but no problem for me to make two last also.

And yeah, I made the blindfolded levs super easy. :P
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Wow, dani for president :D
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

So, the contest took place today, and I think it was a success! This year we randomised pairs (following Ramone's suggestion and a democratic decision), and it resulted in much more even results, and I think equal or even higher amounts of fun for everyone :)

I'll post the full results tomorrow after teh FEM announcement, but here are the levels and winrecs for your eyeing pleasure (winrec from the first round missing cuz Zero & jon played offline so I'll have to ask him for teh rec tomorrow):

http://kopasite.net/up/0/FE18co_levs.zip
http://kopasite.net/up/2/FE18co_recs.zip

Crucially, ALL LEVELS WERE MADE BY DANI, THANKS! :kissing_cat:
Last edited by pawq on 16 Jul 2018, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

Thanks pawq for organizing this! Really unique competition.
Random pairs was good thing, although I ended up playing with three different players (veezay, csorfab and Zweq) :D But it didn't really matter and it was very fun to play!
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Here zip with all 8 recs:
http://kopasite.net/up/2/FE18co_recs.zip

(updated in the previous post too).

I'll update the first post after renault announcement this evening, with full renaults, recs, levs, and whatever other gak I can come up with :P
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

I enjoyed just as much as last year :) 10/10

All the battle concepts work well and blindfolded playing is still the hardest challenge in all of Elastomania :lol:
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Edited the first post with full renaults, recs and levs. Scroll to the end of the post :)