Test

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

AndrY
38mins club
Team: .lev

Test

Post by AndrY »

There are 100 guns, with 1, 2, ... 100 places for bullets.
There is 1 bullet in each gun.
You can
1) choose one gun with N places for bullets, shoot yourself (in head) and get (10.000.000/N/N/N)$.
2) or you can do nothing.
Guns are absolutely random.
What would you choose?
My levs and other Elma things: sites.google.com/view/elma-andry + youtube
jonsykkel
Kuski

Re: Test

Post by jonsykkel »

in accordance with spirit of yolo i would shoot myself in head with 2 bullet gun for maximum financial gain
if die can have sycc funeral
status:ONLINE - - -  drinking:GOFE - - - iq:85 - - - elasto mania ranking:#1
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

2) begouse the money rewards are very low
AndrY
38mins club
Team: .lev

Post by AndrY »

hmmm, me think about 2 variants. do nothing or choose N=9 (13717$) seems enough oke :?

oke, N=9
My levs and other Elma things: sites.google.com/view/elma-andry + youtube
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

The value of human life is liek $9,1 milion or something. And my life, to me, is worth even more than that, I guess.

I think people in 1st world countries (most of elma kuskis) would need better risk/reward ratio to consider goiong through something like this.

Anyways, in this case I would obv choose option 2) - do nothing.

I guess I would consider shooting myself in the head with loaded N=100 gun if it would mean that me and my relatives would have enough money for the rest of their lives, or something like that. Maybe.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
ile
Kuski

Post by ile »

Bludek wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 10:19 The value of human life is liek $9,1 milion or something. And my life, to me, is worth even more than that, I guess.

I think people in 1st world countries (most of elma kuskis) would need better risk/reward ratio to consider goiong through something like this.

Anyways, in this case I would obv choose option 2) - do nothing.

I guess I would consider shooting myself in the head with loaded N=100 gun if it would mean that me and my relatives would have enough money for the rest of their lives, or something like that. Maybe.
wtf
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

Fantastic contribution to the conversation ilkka, as always.

I mostly agree with Bludek. Would definitely not shoot, regardless of the number of bullets and regardless of the financial reward. I know that I wouldn't suddenly become happier if I became rich just like that, and I'd rather work for everything that I achieve.
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

I'd go with like 6 in my current mental and financial condition.
pawq wrote:I know that I wouldn't suddenly become happier if I became rich just like that
Rich? It does not even seem like that is much money for most countries elmamans are from.
pawq wrote:I'd rather work for everything that I achieve
That's an interesting observation. So currently you believe you've been more than adequately compensated for your work and efforts in life in general, and would not enjoy a random gift of, say, 100k? If so, then i envy your life balance a little, in a good way:)
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I didn't even bother doing the maths, just assumed it would be something decent :D

For me it's not even about being adequately rewarded. The world and the system are what they are, in terms of economics, social norms and customs, etc. Given that, there are some things that I want to achieve in life, and some things that I would like to be able to afford, and I want to achieve them with my own work and using my own abilities. I know that I will enjoy those things incomparably more if I achieve them myself, than if I got them for free (or for risking to kill myself...).

I guess it partly comes from how I wanted to become financially independent when I was at school. My dad is the type of guy who believes that providing for his family is the most important thing he can give it, and works hard for it. This is great from the materialistic point of view of the family (not even in the selfish sense, I mean more basic provisions too), but not so great when you're still at school and can't earn money, and getting a little bit for anything is always a problem, and it's repeatedly used as a bargaining card. "You have to do what I tell you and live how I tell you because I'm the one who gives you food and supports you financially." I was really sick of it towards the end, and it was one of the main reasons why I wanted to leave home and the country for uni. At uni I still got a little bit of money from him because couldn't sustain myself completely just with a part-time job, and he still kept doing it ("I don't care you're """"adult"""" and in a different country, you're still living off my money so do what I say!"). When I finally started teh phd and got a regular salary/stipend, the first thing I did was tell him that I didn't want any money any more. So yeah, I don't want anything for free from anyone. (Somebody mentioned free pizza? :heart_eyes:)

Sorry for oversharing, just some thoughts got triggered and then it was too late... :shrug:
ile
Kuski

Post by ile »

giv me money if u dont want it thx
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I guess you wouldn't know what it feels like to earn something with your own hard work.
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

ile wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 10:37 wtf
pls elaborate
------
Just to clarify some things if someone got my post wrong: I make about average wage in my country. I am by no means rich. E.g. hundred thousand EUR would make my life quite a bit nicer (but not really a lot different). Anyways here we are talking about KILLING myself. Rest of the life GONE. NOTHING. If there's even a slight chance of that happening, I want a shit ton more money and if bad luck happens, I want it at least for my loved ones.

edit: I better not react to others. Idk your life.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

I think I understand pawq. There is something almost humiliating about getting money you don't think you deserve. It makes you feel less in control of your life, like you have to rely on lucky occurrences instead of your abilities in order to survive. Buying a lottery ticket is like admitting that you don't believe in yourself.
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

I think I'd go for a 5 bullet gun. Good enough odds and I don't value my life that much. Hev no goals, I'm just enjoying what I can and passively waiting to see what future brings. This kinda money would enable a lot moar novelty for several years. Death is nat so scary.

I don't get the idea of not being happy with unearned money. The world is ridiculously imbalanced and most of us here are alreadi very lucky to be born in the first world. Living in Europe and heving better status than 95% of the world is nat earned. But I totally get if it's not enough compensation for risk of death, thise amounts are pretty low.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
anpdad
38mins club

Post by anpdad »

Thanks pawq for replying, that was interesting to read.
Lousku wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 22:02 I think I'd go for a 5 bullet gun. Good enough odds and I don't value my life that much. Hev no goals, I'm just enjoying what I can and passively waiting to see what future brings. This kinda money would enable a lot moar novelty for several years. Death is nat so scary.

I don't get the idea of not being happy with unearned money. The world is ridiculously imbalanced and most of us here are alreadi very lucky to be born in the first world. Living in Europe and heving better status than 95% of the world is nat earned. But I totally get if it's not enough compensation for risk of death, thise amounts are pretty low.
Nailed my exact thoughts on the topic. Except for passiveness and the lack of goals, - i'm like the polar opposite of that, - but that does not affect the argument at all.
ile
Kuski

Post by ile »

pawq why always so salty
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

2)
I don't like gambling and I'm Bad Luck Brian
Also: more money -> more problems. I happen to know some very rich people and I don't envy their lifestyle at all.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

iCS wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 10:48Also: more money -> more problems.
Hah, this. When I was a kid, I thought that only people who don't have much money say that money doesn't ensure happiness. How arrogant and foolish.

That doesn't mean I want to live in poverty, but some time ago I realised that there are two kinds of happiness - materialistic and emotional. We can strive for both, suar, but I sometimes feel like they might be mutually exclusive to an extent. Something like, if you are perfectly satisfied materialistically, you will start worrying and imagining problems in your personal life, and if you're happy emotionally, you'll then focus more on materialistic things and become less satisfied with what you have. Anyone had the same feelings?
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

duno watever if this is in the context of the thread osv but i saw something and i reacted this way:
25-30% of my problems could be solved by money, especially if had a hell of a lot.
rest needs fixing in other ways, but could help by having money to find the right solution, but not much else.
ToMaT
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

I dont think money can buy happiness, but i do think that not having enough money can make one very unhappy.

I would do 20 bullets maybe at age 60.
God Bless America
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I agree with both what Hosp and gimp said, and it kinda comes back to what I said earlier:
pawq wrote:if you are perfectly satisfied materialistically, you will start worrying and imagining problems in your personal life, and if you're happy emotionally, you'll then focus more on materialistic things and become less satisfied with what you have.
so, you don't have money -> leads to unhappiness because problems osv, but you have money -> you find other things to worry about and other reasons to be unhappy

that's ofc only my observation after very few years in the world of the living