EOL CUP PRO - tournament tool

Advertise your levels, contests, sites etc.

Moderator: Moporators

Stooq
Kuski
Team: BBB

EOL CUP PRO - tournament tool

Post by Stooq »

Hello everyone! For last few days you could encounter Flatos levs and other „tournaments” in eol. It wasn’t clear for everyone what was going on, so here I am to explain everything.

Introduction

For last few days I was working on a tool which could be used for organizing elastomania tournaments. First idea came when we thought about PEM ’18 and tournamets we are going to have then. Together with misz and jblaze we thought that it would be good to have some tool to calculate tournament points and to create ranking. This is how we came up with EOL CUP PRO. Actually not yet ..

Firstly we tried gathering ideas on how this could work and with my newbie IT skills I prepared PoC to check what is possible to quickly achieve in that topic. This is how I implemented small table of tournaments with possibility to create them. Afterwards I prepared small integration with EOL API so we can fetch battles (10 lastly played battles). Based on that data I was able to receive players position in battles, calculate points and create ranking.

Secondly after a bit of testing (which some of you were part of) we found out that everything works quite fine. As program was developed quickly it required a bit of refactoring and styling after which everything looked and worked a bit better. We found out that this tool might be usefull for whole elma community and not only for PEM ’18.

After short discussion we decided to name that software. Here is where EOL CUP PRO name came in. I registerred domain and deployed application so it is available for everyone. Feel free to visit it! http://eolcup.pro

Application right now is not avialable as some key features are still under development. Eol cup pro will be released to public this Saturday (27th of Oct) at 8pm. Together with release of eol cup pro tournament tool we will start special opening tournaments so please book some time to join and fight in those!

Link

You can find EOL CUP PRO tool under: http://eolcup.pro

Screenshots

Here you can find some screenshoots of application:

Tournaments list view:

Tournament info - ranking:

Tournament info - battle stats:

Countdown:

Tournaments points calculations

Tournaments points calculations are quite important in such a tool. Here are some thoughts which we consider together with misz and jblaze.

As far as I know, players ending with 0 apples aren't awarded any points on elmaonline. I will try to make my tool as accurate as possible, giving everyone, not only the pros, chance to compete with one another - so I assume 0 apples is a result indicating that given person was unable to get any apples/finish the level. Anyway with the tool you will be able to choose the players participating in the cup, so you can easily obtain the results only for the players you need.

Furthermore, no draws are currently taken into account. As I already noticed for certain types of battles there is a need for sharing the points. At PEM we will hold Onion Cup, which will consist of many battle types. I will need your help, so wisemen Markku, Zero, Zweq, or anyone - please have your say here if possible.

I will now present a set of exemplary battle results to show some ways of approaching the scoring system:

What we have got here is a normal battle. talli&Zweq, then Mira&Thunder have the same results, but in a normal battle it's not an issue as the one who achieved his result earlier performed better - should be the winner. But it's hard to split Orcc&AKB as both didn't manage to achieve anything in the level.

First Finish is more tricky, because we have to decide whether the same amount of apples should be treated as a draw or we should rather stick to the possibility of "tactical ESC". Also, notice the unlikely draw between talli and Markku. It's even more controversial as in FFs (if started right after the countdown) we've got the ping delay. But we can just treat it as some rare random factor. One Life is roughly the same, just without the ping as exact times are retrieved.

Last-Counts is easy like a normal battle. But we have a number of risk-takers here who, due to failure, share the last spot.

Other battles, slowness, survivor, finish count (0 finishes=draw), drunk, apple, speed, flag tag (0.00=draw), seem to behave like normal battles.

Please think about scoring system and comment if you have any doubts.

More features

Eol cup tool is under development and we have list of features which we would like to introduce in future versions. Will translate and post this list here soon.

If you have any other ideas please let us know.

Further development

Application was quickly written using web technologies (in that case Meteor.js open platform - https://www.meteor.com). I will release this software to github soon so if there are some other devs which would like to help developing eol cup pro tool you will be able to do that.

Release date

Tool will be released under http://eolcup.pro on Saturday (27th of Oct) at 8pm. Some special opening tournaments are planned, so I hope to see you at this time in EOL!

Thanks to..
1. misz - for inspiring and motivating me to implement that tool! :beer:

2. jblaze - for your input on tool development and great testing of first tournaments (and beating Mielz :D )

3. Mielz - for your ideas on future features and for loosing with jblaze on test tournaments :evil:
4. All PEMers - this tool is for you! :beer:

PS n -> ∞

PS1. Please keep in mind that this tool was developed rather quickly and probably has a lot of bugs. If you find any you can report them in this topic so I can fix them.

PS2. If you find any specific feature which would be good to have in that tool please post it in the comments!

PS3. Please check PEM topic of jblaze! We hope to see as much of you as we can during this meeting. If you can’t come to Wroclaw for PEM then please remember to join us online (7-10 of Dec) as we are going to start many fun tournaments and contests!
"Ballad to Ramooe" http://eolcup.pro/poetry
jblaze
38mins club

Re: EOL CUP PRO - tournament tool

Post by jblaze »

the tool is really cool and a fresh thing. it ALREADY is able to handle basic battle tournaments without much of a fuck given into how the points are spread, but IT SIMPLY WORKS. cup and battle score systems WORK. stooq claims it will be improved soon anyways!

about the pointing system in the post above. yeah, thats how we see things as the most fair and logical after down-to-earth discussions. these cases show that certain type results of the same value are able to represent quality of performance, while some do not.

BIG THANKS and RESPECT to stooq for sacrificing his time to make this! it will not only help us on PEM, but, most importanly, will encourage some people to make battle tournaments! i believe in that. GET STOQED!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

GET STOQED!
ToMaT
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

premiere today, dont miss out!
there will be introductory tournaments today. at least: one normal balle cup by stooq and FF tour by me and maybe something more!

come join us and check how cool the tool is :beer:
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
(Devann) u are the master of your own universe. remember that
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

Awesome tool, I'm working on something to test it out before too long. 8)

About points calculation, imo:
The only thing I might change from default is treating same apple amounts as draws in one life and FF. But problem is some players might not know about it, and play a bad strategy just because they don't know it's not default. So maybe it's best to just leave it as it is...

One suggestion: Give the option to put a start time when adding tournaments. Just so we could see the tournament schedule and countdown to when they will start.

btw it still says 'Status: in progress' on the jblaze tourney.
Henkka
Kuski

Post by Henkka »

One question about FF cups

If two players collect the same amount of apples, will these two players receive the same amount of cup points? I think they should. Then the possibility of tactical Escing disappeares.

The example of a FF cup event result on first post is different than in JBLs FF cup on last Sunday (looked from the eolcuppro site).
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

Another cup was had where Stooq won against Zero!!! This was a whole day contest of 24 levs (14 skips), fun flats, some always throttle, onelives, FFs.

Grats Stooq! PPL use the tool it's fun!
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

I have feature request/idea for eolcup.pro:
Add option per lev to set a "point weight". -> if it is set, that lev will give more or fewer points than normal.
Example: Point weight of 0.5 would give half of normal points. Point weight of 2 would give double points.

Something to keep in mind is how this would affect skips, i guess now it removes the worst X positions, but with that new feature it should probably go by worst points instead. But in my opinion it is probably best for skips and point weight to be mutually exclusive, so you cant use both at once, this would simplify it and not make it too hard to understand for players.

An example of a cup format it would make sense to use:
Cup starts with 10 x 2min levs, these levs have 0.5 point weight -> then there are 5 x 5min levs, these levs have 1 point weight -> then there are 2 x 15min levs in the end, these levs have 2 point weight
This cup format would make shorter levs matter less, but still important to do well in them since there are quite a few of those. It would also make end of cup more exciting, as it would be more often decisive battles late in the cup.
Stooq
Kuski
Team: BBB

Post by Stooq »

Due to changes in elmaonline server (http return 301 to https) app didn't work correctly. I just prepared and deployed fix so feel free to use tool. Sorry for inconvenience!
"Ballad to Ramooe" http://eolcup.pro/poetry