IMDB votelists

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Re: IMDB votelists

Post by pawq »

Mary and the Witch's Flower (2017) - 6/10
A pretty enjoyable anime feature, but nowhere near the Ghibli classics.

Hell or High Water (2016) - 6/10
Very well-acted kinda modern western, with an engaging and emotional enough story. Unfortunately, both the characters and the story were rather flat, nothing particularly exciting. Still, worth a watch maybe, but I wouldn't say it's worth the Best Film oscar nomination.

Assassin's Creed (2016) - 5/10
This was actually better than expected. I think it's probably at least partly because I've played the first few games, so I'm familiar with the story and the concepts and they make sense in my head. But I can imagine that for someone unfamiliar with AC the film would be total gibberish.

Babylon A.D. (2008) - 4/10
Very uninventive and questionable story, with lots of very wild concepts and assumptions without almost any explanation or reasoning. But, Vin Diesel and the girl are pretty cool, and there was some nice cinematography here and there. Not total annoying, but overall rather poor.

Need for Speed (2014) - 4/10
No more, no less than what you'd expect from an NFS film :D But, having said that, it wasn't all bad. The lead actor and accompanying actress were both pretty enjoyable in terms of play and motivations, they were kinda relatable, which can't be said for two of the previous films I wrote about. But yeah, just another game-based flick.

Loveless (2017) - 4/10
Wow, this was disappointing. A nominee for the best foreign film, 7.7/86 ratings... Completely ununderstandable for me. I don't mind films with little-to-no action, but this was such a fucking borefest. I couldn't wait for it to finish after 30mins already, and nothing changed later on. Not only 0 action (in any sense of the word), but 0 emotions too. I can imagine that the concept behind the film was to make the audience feel what it was trying to convey (an emotionless society), but all it achieved was being annoying. There are many films that triggered me to think about the meaning of life and what is happiness and bla bla without actually trying, and this film did that to a much lesser extent, while seemingly that was its sole purpose. So quite a failure imo. Tho would be interested to hear from someone who liked it.

Also finally did a mini-marathon of the Disney-era SW films (only saw ep. VII so far, once in the cinema) (POSSIBLE SPOILERS):

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) - 6/10 -> 6/10
I'm actually surprised that it's still a 6, given how many things I hate about this film. I guess the nostalgia factor gets to me too to an extent, or maybe some parts of it were actually nice. I don't want to write an essay about all the things I disliked (I could though...), so I'll stick to the main point, which is also contrasting with ep. VIII, which I'll write about in a moment: this film did not attempt to establish anything new. It's hard for me to articulate what exactly I mean. Examples though: new protagonist - a new "chosen one" that previously struggled to survive on a desert planet and also had no previous contact or knowledge of the Jedi osv. New villain - another guy in a black cape and mask, aspiring to be cool like the old villain. New villain overlord - another guy in posh clothes and with a severely damaged face, but this time he's projected BIG, because he has to give a BIGGER impression than the old villain overlord (who, by the way, was fucking iconic). New evil faction - looks pretty much the same as the old evil faction, even though the old evil faction was supposedly destroyed when its emperor was killed. It has a new name, a new general, and that's about it. New villain weapon - a bigger and sillier version of the old villain weapon. New rebel and evil ships - well, no new ships. The main supporting protagonists - the old supporting protagonists (Han osv). New formidable villain general - a cutesy redhead boi used to playing in romantic comedies (and fitting them well). About as formidable as my gf's teddy bear. LITERALLY THE WORST-CAST CHARACTER I HAVE EVER SEEN. And the story held together so poorly. It took Luke years and 3 films to achieve some level of proficiency with the force and lightsabers. But, somehow, it took Rey and Finn like an hour. Also, it turns out that stormtroopers are now trained abducted children, as opposed to clones with accelerated growth, because apparently... Well, apparently what? Literally no reason for that, other than that it was needed for the plot that somebody came up with. Because it's stupid for so many reasons that I won't even bother listing them (so here you go: even more costly, because normal rate of growth, and the empire can obviously afford literally anything because they can afford a literally planet-sized weapon, risk of genetic and other diseases and imperfections, as opposed to a perfect soldier every time, risk of a rebellion (YOU DON'T SAY)...). Oke, I'm done ranting (though I could go for much longer), hopefully you know what I mean by now. The whole film was riding purely on nostalgia that people would have from the old films, and apparently nostalgia is enough to rate a film 8/10 on average. I liked Rey though, she's a cool character.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) - 8/10
Amazingly, a complete 180 degree shift from the preceding film. This film DID try to establish something for itself, even if it did it clumsily and with universe-sized plot holes. I was very engaged throughout the film, it gave the viewer enough time to establish some emotional connection with the characters. It's these long shots on faces that the preceding film was missing. It wasn't riding on nostalgia anymore. It made some references to the old films, but that's what they were - references, rather than copied ideas. I don't even have that much to say about this film, because it simply worked well. It kept me focused on the story and on the action, not on all the film-making elements that were wrong. I was so pleased with it that I'm willing to forgive it how carelessly it toyed with the well-established lore, by introducing elements like real-time cross-universe video calls, spectral apparitions from beyond the grave making physical contact with the world, real-time cross-universe 100%-realistic body projection, someone inexperienced with the force using it to survive and transport themselves through open space, or fucking hyperspace collisions. Similar to a rebelling Stormtrooper, it seems that Disney is willing to ignore any existing lore for the sake of the story they come up with. But, as I said, this makes me more optimistic as to the direction they might be taking SW in. Though not overly optimistic.

Rogue One (2016) - 7/10
Treating it mostly like a separate spin-off, so it was reasonably enjoyable. Some enjoyable moments in the story, some idiotic ones, but overall fun film.

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) - 7/10
Treating it mostly like a separate spin-off, so it was reasonably enjoyable. Some enjoyable moments in the story, some idiotic ones, but overall fun film.
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

Bohemian Rhapsody - 8/10
Very well acted and executed. Rami Malek could possibly get an Oscar nomination for this one. Slightly streamlined, made for the a wide audience, but still closer to a 9 than a 7.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - 7/10
I mean, it is a fine movie, it was just too disturbing for me. Everyone who saw it told me - "there is very much nudity and profanity" osv. And I was like nah, it can't be that bad. Now I understand what they meant. I'd say 50 shades is nothing compared to this. Also good Scorsese and DiCaprio and Robbie and whatnot.

Stronger (2017) - 5/10
I like Gyllenhall very much and LOVE Tatiana Maslany, but this.... nah. It was a good look into a redneck's life, especially his mother was a great example, but the whole movie felt underpar.

Patriot's day (2016) - 7/10
This was better than Stronger, even though it addressed the different aspect of the same event. I know Wahlberg might seem borefest with all these real-life movies he starred in (Deepwater Horizon osv), but I like to know more about historical events and this at least magnifies them in a way I know what happened there and have some relation to it.
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

The Wolf of Wall Street has been confirmed to be very close to the real events. That doesn't necessarily have to make the movie any more enjoyable to watch but it's a pretty interesting aspect to understand. The movie is packed with some crazy shit lol.

I personally love the film :)
Last edited by Zero on 1 Nov 2018, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
Zero
Kuski

Post by Zero »

Guys I have been very absent from the movie scene for quite a while. Any recent titles that you'd recommend?
Rank #1 battler and the champion of BOSS cup :gaa:
36 club since 02/2024
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Rewatched all HP movies in the last couple of weeks:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001) - 9/10 (from 9/10)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) - 6/10
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) - 8/10
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) - 8/10
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007) - 9/10
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009) - 9/10
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010) - 7/10 (from 5/10)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011) - 8/10 (from 5/10)

Haven't seen 2-6 since opened IMDb account (Nov 2010), and 7a/7b only saw in the cinema, so it's been long, too long! Very :') all the way :)

Also:

Ready Player One (2018) - 7/10
Nothing special, but fun from all the game and film references, and I really liked the message of it.

Unthinkable (2010) - 7/10
I think I've never seen such a divisive film in terms of reviews (almost all either 1-2 or 8-9). Understandably controversial. I must say it gave me a lot of food for thought, and not just about the old question "is torture morally acceptable under any circumstances", but mainly about how we might not be willing to do something that is for the greater good because it is morally unacceptable. I think most of the critics of it either don't have the emotional capacity, or the willingness, to explore this philosophical theme. Though I do agree with many other points of critique against this film, as in many ways it was a B-cat movie at best (casting beyond the 3 leading characters, dear god...). Still, "enjoyable" enough to watch (as enjoyable as a film about torture can be).
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018) - 8/10
It was basically a "typical" movie about a music band. But it was done very well. The music was great so I went on and cried a bit. Rami Malek absolutely nailed his role.
Too bad they didn't go more into Freddie's (or any other band member's) personal life, all those wild parties and drug shenanigans osv. It just scratched the surface. But what they gave us was really stunning.
Recommended watch.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Fantastic Beasts 2 - ugh, what is this? Very rushed story that is hard to follow, lots of characters but not a single well-developed one, a series of strange dialogues that just felt clumsy somehow (perhaps the fault of Russian translators?). I liked the first movie overall because it had a simpler plot and featured tons of cute little moments that weren't necessarily about the fate of the wizard world or something epic like that, but this one tried to do way too much and just made many mysterious characters (like Grindelwald, Nicolas Flamel, and even young Dumbledore) seem kinda lame. There were some parts that made me feel really nostalgic (man, boggart is such an amazing concept), but overall I'm quite disappointed.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

kuchitsu wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 14:59 Fantastic Beasts 2 - ugh, what is this? Very rushed story that is hard to follow, lots of characters but not a single well-developed one, a series of strange dialogues that just felt clumsy somehow
Yeps, yeps, and yeps. One of the worst-written high-budget films I've seen, which is strange, considering it was written by Rowling. Not the fault of the Russian translators, was equally shit in English :P Gave sum 4 for some oke elements like young Dumbledore, who was really surprisingly enjoyable for me (was very worried how anyone could faithfully play young Dumbledore, but Jude Law did a great job imo). Could go on a long rant about all the things that were wrong with this film, but won't 8)
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Mortal Engines (2018) - 6/10
I love steampunk style. The theme was absolutely awesome.
The story - not so much. There were so many "trigger words" or phrases that I had to cringe at times. Just me hearing "kill switch" and off I go. Random Chinese girl in red - triggered. Random girl that gets like 20 minutes of screen time and does literally nothing during the whole course of the movie. Nothing. If she weren't there, you wouldn't notice.
Main hero was ok. Cliché sad story, but ok, so be it.
Overall, story-wise it was very subpar, degrading into very generic "star wars destroy the death star mission" movie, while they could explore the technology and visuals of rolling cities so much more.

But visually, this was extremely pleasing to the eye. I wasn't bored. I had fun. And that matters.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

Kvinden i buret : 6/10
duno was it zerox who mentioned this series or epp or who knows which of these daneboys. decided to check them out and this is the first movie. it's pretty basic nordic crime/detective affair, follows pretty standard formula with characters and everything, which makes it kind of not very exciting or out of the ordinary. totally ok anyway i guess.

Joe Rogan: Strange Times : 6/10
Never been mega fan of his standup, so this was better than expected from him. just oke.

The Fault in Our Stars: 4/10
Happened to randomly read this book a few months ago, and saw they made a movie out of it. Decided to check it out to see what they made of it etc. I already didn't like the book that much, and I disliked the movie even more. It actually follows the book pretty well, and they picked a decent cast for everyone. So in the sense of being a book movie it was well done. Unfortunately the characters and story of the book is so over the top and pretentious to the point of being obnoxious, and this only gets so much worse when acted out. Angsty teens being tryhard smart and different than regular kids, le spork QUIRKY etc. very pukeworthy.

Derren Brown: Sacrifice: 6/10
Derren Brown: Pushed to the Edge: 7/10
Derren Brown: Miracle: 3/10
Saw him on JRE podcast and it had been a while since I saw anything from him, so when they talked about some of this latest special I ended up downloading them to see what they were about. A bit conflicted because it's so obviously staged, yet your brain wants to believe a bit of it, but not knowing for sure what's real or just acting (if not all of it), makes it hard to enjoy fully. Even then, it was entertaining enough, and the idea of it in itself made me keep watching, so.... I guess success enough. Miracle was lame as fuck though.

The Dawn Wall: 6/10
This was a pretty good documentary. I think I just lacked the interest in the subject enough to fully immerse brain in this. It was interesting though.

They Shall Not Grow Old: 5/10
Supercool, and also kind of boring. I was hoping the footage was somehow a bit better restored than this, even though I'm sure getting to this point was already super difficult. The voiceovers and dubbing were kind of lame. Felt like something was a bit missing from this.

The Degenerates: 4/10
A standup special series. All episodes were pretty weak with uninteresting people. The only standout episode was Joey Diaz probably.

Mission: Impossible - Fallout : 6/10
Same old stuff pretty much. Turn off brain a bit and enjoyable enough if liked the previous movies.

The Equalizer 2: 6/10
This was pretty good. Followed the same feel and whatever else from the first movie, if liked that then probably will like this too. I guess these movies are pretty much Denzel version of John Wick movies, but with a different style.

Eighth Grade: 7/10
Pretty decent. Movie makes you really feel the cringe, and it's well done.

First Man: 6/10
Felt sort of emotionless. It was enough to keep me interested and entertained, but overall it felt... hollow or something

A Quiet Place: 6/10
Really had more expectations from this. From all the hype around it, I assumed maybe it would be a "horror" movie that dared to not do the same stupid stereotypes. Nope. Stupid people doing stupid things etc. Some originality to it, and tense and exciting enough, but overrated.

BlacKkKlansman: 6/10
This was actually way way better than expected. But that probably comes from the fact that in my brain I thought this would be some kind of Will Ferrel type of humour, and that the main actor was Craig Robinson (aka Darryl from The Office). It was a bit more serious (even though very much still a comedy), and it was funny enough without going too stupid. Sort of wish could rate it a bit higher, but ultimately nothing super amazing anyway.
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Giving Quiet place a 6 is a blasphemy. Also, Darren Brown's Miracle really was the worst of the three. The Push was great.

I spyed:

Bird Box (2018) - 6/10
Very similar concept to the Quiet place, but better. Didn't have that stupid feel of stupid ppl doing stupid things. Not amazing, of course, but for its genre it was quite okay.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

Annihilation: 5/10
This was very annoying, because the feeling of this had such insane potential. Very cool ideas and premise, and such a complete waste of potential. Somehow managed to make it completely boring, of course also got to add the usual annoying stupid characters doing stupid things trope (im duno why in 2018 this is still thing in movies whyyyyyyyyyy). It's almost like 6-7 movie in a way, but it could have been so much more that it's hard not to start hating it for not living up to it, and end up disliking it more than necessary. anyway. oke.

Venom: 5/10
Ultra generic superhero stuff, with some oke things added, still pretty meh.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

High Noon (1952) - 7/10

Old, extremely simple plot, only one song in soundtrack, but I liked. It kinda delivered the message.
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

Bird Box: 6/10
Pretty zzzz, about same level dumb as A Quiet Place to me. Just oke, mega overhyped.

Den Skyldige: 7/10
Pretty engaging, reminiscent of Locke if like such one-place talking type movies. Wasn't super amazing but just really liked it anyway.

Hunter Killer: 6/10
Very b-movie level of actors and feeling, but damn I have a little weakness for u-boat movies. Find myself liking them almost always. This was surprisingly oke. It's totally over the top unbelievable plot, with dumb action scenes that don't make much sense, but ok must admit it was pretty fun and everything somehow worked for my brain.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Glass (2019) - 5/10

Wasn't cinemaing in a while, so it felt good being there agin. I expected some great stuff from Shyamalan, but imo Unbreakable > Split > Glass. The plot here seemed very arbitrary and self-purposing.
Some good stuff was there but it is far from Unbreakable for me imo.

I watched Split beforehands, didn't rate before, so it's a 6. (Unbreakable was 8 ).
Last edited by Tigro on 31 Jan 2019, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Fyre (2019) - 7/10

Nice documentary about a massive fraud. Gives you some insight into how trusting a person who seems legit and is persuasive and innovative can get you into some deep shit, because he is a highly functioning sociopath.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Alita - just a mindless action movie with high quality visuals and no depth to anything. Not what you would want from an adaptation of a legendary manga, but what you would expect.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Alita - Battle Angel (2019) - 7/10

I expected it to be some basic story with mindless action scenes. Well, the story was okay-ish (?) I guess. And the CGI and effects were really good imo. I liked the battles and races and all that stuff. So, not the greatest, but watchable for the visuals osv.
Kazan
34mins club

Post by Kazan »

Alita: Battle Angel - 7/10
edit: actually 8/10 watched it twice
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Green Book (2018) - 9/10
People are saying it wasn't meant to win the Academy Award. I didn't spy any other nominated movies yet, but I can see why this was nominated and why it won. Part of it is the fight-against-oppression lobby, the second part is that it is actually a very good movie. It was very pleasant to watch. Both Viggo and Mahershala did great job. Really good.
Also watched it in small movie theater, not the classic shopping mall cinema cities. And it was a very good experience. Not so many people, no slurping of coca-cola, no popcorn sounds, just pure movie. Great.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

The Silence (2019) - 3/10
Just as bad as The Quiet Place, and a lot worse than Bird Box.
Shit.
Kazan
34mins club

Post by Kazan »

Pokémon Detective Pikachu - 6/10
Kazan
34mins club

Post by Kazan »

Avengers: Endgame - 5/10 not fan of marvel, probably thats why didnt like movie. Infinity War was much better for me.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Does anyone have this problem where you find serious dramatic films a lot more impactful, and yet you keep gravitating towards comedies and popcorn flicks instead? It's like my brain just wants to party and avoids the intelligent stuff.
Bludek
38mins club
Team: CART

Post by Bludek »

I have for sure liked deeper and more intelligent movies when I was circa 20 yo, but it is not like after ten years I suddenly watch shit soap operas. Surprisingly I don't even like comedies all that much these days, I only watch the biggest blockbusters in the cinema and hyped series at home (recently e.g.: Once upon a Time in Hollywood, Rocketman, Chernobyl (series), Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, ...).
From time to time someone reminds me a movie from the past and I watch it then, but that's it.

In 2009 I've watched 15 (!) new movies or series every month, nowadays it is about 2 a month (there's a site like imdb but in czech language where I used to be active, so I get my stats from there). Work + gf + activities w/ friends take a lot of time.
EOL top 10 kuski of 2014 and 2015.
21:03:48 <umiz> i like 99% of bludek levels
iCS
Kuski

Post by iCS »

kuchitsu wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 13:59 Does anyone have this problem where you find serious dramatic films a lot more impactful, and yet you keep gravitating towards comedies and popcorn flicks instead? It's like my brain just wants to party and avoids the intelligent stuff.
Yes.
Although I'm quite patient in certain activities where many other people aren't, somehow I lack a special type of patience that is needed for watching movies. Therefore I watch extremely few movies. But when I do, I prefer comedy.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Apollo 11 - 10/10
Toy Story 4 - 9/10
The Remains of the Day - 8/10
Ruben
Kuski

Post by Ruben »

Agree with John:

Apollo 11 - 10/10

Recommend to every human and animal.
<veezay> antti also gonna get stabbed later this month
<nick-o-matic> niec

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.
AndrY
38mins club
Team: .lev

Post by AndrY »

Toy Story 4 - 2/10

3rd part was great (and 1st too). Just went to cinema to this and felt like "empty" after:/
Dont have idea why this has big rating.
My levs and other Elma things: sites.google.com/view/elma-andry + youtube
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Some pop culture stuff that I missed as a kid:

Back to the Future - wonderful coming of age story, very touching how Marty learns that his parents used to be kinda like him and begins to understand them. Brilliant writing: it's one of these movies where every scene matters and everything comes together perfectly at the end.

Back to the Future part 2 - this one pretty much forgets about all that emotional stuff and instead fully focuses on the sci-fi aspect. Writing seems weaker and there is a problem with the future part being too memorable compared to everything else, but it's still quite entertaining and I love how they revisit the scenes from the first movie.

Back to the Future part 3 - the whole western setting is a bit poorly made (someone compared it to a TV episode), but I appreciated the return to the more emotional style of the first movie and the strong focus on Doc. That whole romance subplot is just so cute and here the series gets a very satisfying conclusion. Overall I feel like parts 2 and 3 weren't necessary to make and yet they still added a lot.

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - adorable Keanu and awesome Carlin, but the plot is a bit too stupid for me. It's disappointing how they don't really do much in any of the time periods. But when all these historical figures assemble in our time it's amusing to watch how they go crazy. There are also some magical hippy moments where everyone unites their hearts, like that scene in the future or in the end at their presentation.

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey - sooo much better than the first movie. Tons of good gags, a great sense of adventure with one memorable setting after another (in particular, both hell and heaven are really well made), lovely Death character. Death makes any scene five times better. Didn't care for Bill & Ted's evil counterparts though.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension - very promising cast of colorful characters and a funky 80's style, but unfortunately the whole plot with aliens just seemed boring to me. Shitty villain, basic underground chase scenes, a damsel in distress, zzz. From the title I was hoping for some adventures in the 8th Dimension but Buckaroo only spends like a minute in it. Feels like a bad episode of a cool series but unfortunately there are no other episodes.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Numbers or riot! :D
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

quiet place, as I viewed the movie my perception changed from promising to underwhelming to pretty bad to facepalm.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Care to elaborate?
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

Saw Interstellar yesterday for the 3rd time and it got me all emotional fucking again. Very few movies do that for me: romantic stories - booooring. People with terminal illnesses - could care less. Animals dying on screen - orka (pun intentional). I exaggerate a little in those examples, but you know what I mean.

But somehow Interstellar does it for me. Great complex story and top notch acting. 10/10
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

I'll just re-post what I wrote on discord a couple of days ago:
[02:24] pawq: Jesus
[02:24] pawq: Just watched interstellar again
[02:24] pawq: I think first time since IMAX when it came out
[02:24] pawq: JADJOWIQNDBOQNRVKUDH85I4G64DF) 4H6K5£5#@£)(:@#@@BSKQOSJJQ
[02:25] pawq: Why does the rating scale end at 10
[02:25] pawq: I have no words
[02:26] pawq: And the SOUNDTRACK
[02:26] pawq: FUUUUUCK
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Napoleon Dynamite - a wonderful "nerd power" story. Very heartwarming to observe his awkward friendship with Pedro and even more awkward romance with that girl. The humor is so deadpan/subtle it can be difficult to laugh at but it's pretty clever nevertheless. Also the ending is one of the most satisfying I've ever seen (wow at that dance scene). Great movie to watch when you're feeling down.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Academy Awards theme:

1917 - 8/10
Jojo Rabbit - 6/10
Joker - 8/10
Le Mans '66 - 9/10
Marriage Story - 8/10
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 7/10
Parasite - 9/10
The Irishman - 6/10
Little Women - 6/10
The Two Popes - 7/10
Bombshell - 6/10
The Lighthouse - 7/10
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - 5/10
Frozen 2 - 6/10
Rocketman - 7/10
Toy Story 4 - 9/10
Ad Astra - 5/10
Avengers: Endgame - 4/10
The Lion King - 6/10
How to Train Your Dragon 3 - 4/10
Klaus - 8/10
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Lots of memorable movies recently, can recommend all of them.

The Beast with Five Fingers (1946) - a cute horror/mystery thingy that will keep you wondering whether it's a supernatural story or not until the very end. Features numerous colorful characters and some neat special effects for the time. Professionally made but still playful, it's one of these movies where you can tell the creators had a fun time making it.

Night of the Living Dead (1968) and Dawn of the Dead (1978) - surprisingly complex and believable characters compared to the typical schmucks you see in horror: even when they are annoying you can still totally understand why they behave like that. Very good writing, powerful satirical allegories and pretty much no jump scares (so even a pussy like me can enjoy): my respect!

Triumph of the Will (1935) - might as well mention this while I'm talking about horror. It's a propaganda film about a Nazi congress made shortly after Hitler rose to power, so you could say it's one of the most frightening movies ever. With very ambitious scale and filming techniques for the time I imagine it had tremendous influence on the world, and watching it nowadays is eerie as hell.

Death of a Salesman (1985) - a made-for-TV adaptation of one of the most famous American plays. Just like the original it has a surreal tone with reality and fantasy constantly mixing. As one guy on YouTube said, Dustin Hoffman makes you want to punch the main character and give him a hug at the same time. A tragic story of a man, whose life just didn't work out.

Rear Window (1954) - what can I say, Hitchcock was a true master of suspense and knew how to keep the viewers thrilled even when shooting the whole thing from the same spot. A super unique movie and also perhaps an interesting commentary on (non-sexual) voyeurism, something we all do despite feeling guilty about it.

Three Colours (1993-1994) - sick trilogy about many different things that I can't fit into this short comment, but mainly about what makes us human and similar to one another I think. Each movie (especially "Blue" and "Red") is shot in an imaginative, artsy manner, and you can spend hours coming up with different interpretations of the stories. Also Juliette Binoche is stunning in the first one. :)
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

Le Grand Bleu (1988) - I really don't know how to describe this movie but I wanted to make a post about it.
Kazan
34mins club

Post by Kazan »

tenet (2020) - 8/10
good movie overall
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

John wrote: 17 Nov 2010, 04:20 I'm closing in on 1000 votes, being at 983 at the moment. I want #1000 to blow me away or at least be a 7/10. Suggestions? :p
John wrote: 18 Jan 2011, 12:53 Already passed 1000 votes in a rush. 1005 atm.

Almost 10 years after John reached the 1000-ratings milestone and since I set that goal for myself, and precisely 10 years since I registered on IMDb and started rating films myself, I finally made it! I "cheated" a little in the last couple of days by watching Volume 1 of Pixar's Short Films Collection (13 ratings), but hey, a film's a film!

1st rating:

1000th rating:

Some stats:

Title types:
Movie: 972
Short: 17
TV series: 3 (Battlestar Galactica, The Witcher, Formula 1: Drive to Survive)
TV mini series: 2 (Battlestar Galactica, Unorthodox)
TV movie: 1 (Battlestar Galactica: Razor)
TV short: 1 (Scared Shrekless)
Video: 4 (The Plan, Mike's New Car, Jack-Jack Attack, Mater and the Ghostlight)

Shortest title: André and Wally B. (2min)
Longest title: Once Upon a Time in America (229min)

Total runtime: 1934h 9min
Average runtime: 116min 5sec

Oldest title: M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder (1931)

Most popular title: The Shawshank Redemption (2,303,964 ratings)
Least popular title: Optimistene (178 ratings)

Highest-rated title: The Shawshank Redemption (9.3)
Lowest-rated title: Driven (4.6)

Most rated directors:
23 titles: Steven Spielberg
13: Ridley Scott
12: Woody Allen, Christopher Nolan, Martin Scorsese, Quentin Tarantino
11: Hayao Miyazaki
10: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, David Fincher, John Lasseter

Distribution of my ratings:

Distribution of IMDb ratings of the films I rated:

Distribution of release year of the films I rated:

Onto the next 1000 :beer:
Last edited by pawq on 15 Nov 2020, 15:19, edited 2 times in total.
Kazan
34mins club

Post by Kazan »

Greenland (2020) - 7/10 liked it
Kazan
34mins club

Post by Kazan »

San Andreas (2015) - 7/10 i like these disaster movies
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

It's been over 1.5 years since I wrote in this tropic. Wow.

Now when I don't have a TV I watch much less movies than ever before. Some series here and there, cinemas when it was still possible, but that's it.
I'm sure I can't remember even half of the movies I have seen in this time period. Netflix watching history might help, but...

Knives Out (2019) - 8/10
Very good. Comedy, crime, great visuals.

The Social Dilemma - 6/10
For me it had next to zero information value. But I think it's a 'documentary' that is really good that exists and people should definitely watch.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017) - 7/10
I thought it would be a stupid shitty wannabe-comedy, but actually I had many great laughs. Ofc the quality isn't any superhigh, but if the purpose of this movie is to provide fun, it certainly delivered.

Jumanji: The Next level (2019) - 6/10
Similar to the first one, but slightly less entertaining. But still quite ok. Jack Black saves the day big time.

Snowpiercer (2013) - 3/10
I understand that it was supposed to be some next-level meta shit, but for me it was just a senseless action something without anything deeper into it. It made literally no sense. Idea was nice, but the execution was very poor.

Parasite (2019) - 9/10
This stuff tho (from the same director as Snowpiercer), was the shit. Really good. I don't care about it being subliminal message of today's people, politics, etc. etc.. It was just a really really good movie.

Ender's Game (2013) - 4/10
I guess 5 would be too generous here. Many things felt undeveloped or underdeveloped. Especially Ender's connection to the aliens. I liked the idea, but again, the execution was kinda subpar.

Valerian and the City of Thousand Planets (2017) - 2/10
Didn't even finish. So cringe, so bad acting, just terrible.

Looper (2012) - 6/10
I like JGL in movies. He wasn't bad, the sentiment and idea for the movie wasn't bad. But it was just okay. Nothing great or flashy. Watchable still.

When Marnie Was There (2014) - 8/10
During Corona I watched many animes with my mom, was a great time. We laughed and cried together. These movies were great. Marnie is a very nice story.

My Neighbor Totoro (1988) - 10/10
Rewatched with mom. Every time it gets better. The wholesomeness overload is just insane. Easy 9 -> 10 for me here.

Ponyo (2008) - 6/10
This one was a little bit less entertaining than the rest, maybe deserves 7, but I'll leave it at 6 for now. Story was ok, but it wasn't as engaging as other Ghibli animes.

Whisper of the Heart (1995) - 9/10
Ah yes, the original Lo-Fi girl. And Country Roads song. Perfect storyline, great stuff. I cried.

Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) - 8/10
Kiki was more action packed than other animes imo, but it had that strange good feel about it. Her being so active and optimistic was a great warm-feel-inducing watch. For this being over 30 year old movie, it's amazing.

Call Me By Your Name (2017) - 4/10
So since I was preparing myself for the Dune movie, I decided to watch some Timotheé Chalamet movies. This had good ratings, so I gave it a go. I admit, it was very classy and artsy, slow-paced, good summer-vibe, but I didn't like the gay theme at all. I felt creeped out. And good acting made this feeling even stronger.

Marriage Story (2019) - 6/10
Again some amazing acting from both ScarJo and Adam. But I didn't quite get what was the point of the movie. Didn't take away any message. I just watched over two hours of people living in pain and sorrow and misery without any way out. If the message was that life sucks, then I guess it sent that message. But I feel that even without watching heartbreaking movies about broken families and marriages.

ROMA (2018) - 7/10
I liked the camera, the feeling, the theme, the slowness.

Lady Bird (2017) - 4/10
I can't remember a single thing about this movie. So vanilla. If this movie didn't exist I wouldn't even notice. Bad.

Ad Astra (2019) - 3/10
3 at most. I guess it was meant to show some "deeper meaning" (family topic I guess?) presented in the environment of outer space travel. But since they totally screwed everything they could regarding the space travel, the "deeper meaning" lost all of its value. The whole movie I just felt ridiculous. I was asking myself "Does the director really think I'm this stupid?" several times during the movie. Brad Pitt holding on to the space shuttle during the takeoff? "Space pirates" chasing someone on moon rovers? Really? Come on.
Just Terrible.

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch (2018) - 8/10
I liked the novelty and exploration possibility, also 4th wall breaking here and there. Pretty well done. I hope this sets a new precedent and more "interactive" movies will emerge eventually.

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (2019) - 7/10
As a fan of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, I thought it made sense to watch this. For fans this was pretty ok spinoff. But I think it was a bit unnecessary. But it turned out quite well. Especially the scene with house searching shot from the top was really cool imo.
I still liked Veronica Mars spinoff more, if we are talking about comparing movie spinoffs of series.

Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979) - 7/10
They achieved comedy.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - 9/10
They achieved apex comedy.
Upshifted from 7/10 to 9/10.

Joker (2019) - 7/10
Good performance by Joaquin Phoenix. Even tho he is a strange dude. I didn't get the 'garbage' theme that was present, but overall the movie felt quite consistent. Hard to compare different joker representations, everyone brings something different to the character (forget about Jared Leto ofc).

Avengers: Endgame (2019) - 8/10
One of the best Avengers movies I have seen. Movie theater helped a lot to enjoy the flick. I know Marvel universe doesn't make jack of a sense, but the entertainment value is there.

Captain Marvel (2019) - 6/10
The worst thing about this movie is that it is actually quite good. Disregarding the blatant female empowerment and feminism etc., the movie was pretty fun. Brie Larson surprised me as a superhero character with her quite ok acting (I know many disagree here, but that's my take). Too bad she is so unfun and ulikable as a person outside of the movies.

Ant-Man (2015) - 5/10
I felt a bit ridiculous.

Artemis Fowl (2020) - 4/10
Again, being probably generous here. If you read Artemis Fowl books, you'd know that the movie was really shit. But they tried.
Imagine writing a good book series just to be steamrolled by Harry Potter. And then you try to make a movie. Lol.

Jojo Rabbit (2019) - 7/10
I had a lot of fun. Maybe worth 8, but for now I leave it at 7. But definitely worth watching, if you can digest nazi-jew humor and overall edginess.

Spider Man: Far From Home (2019) - 6/10
Definitely much better than Homecoming. I like Tom Holland, but his Spider-Man series just doesn't seem to be on par. Also, watched as a Dune preparation so was watching Zendaya perform. In this move I think she did quite a good job.

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019) - 3/10
What a joke. And this I say while disregarding the fact that during the watching in the theatre the toilet on upper floor broke and we got literally sprayed by shit and piss from the ceiling. But that was certainly the most entertaining thing about watching this movie.

Zombieland: Double Tap (2019) - 5/10
I have no reason to watch this kind of movies. But friends went to cinema, so I watched. It's a pretty vanilla comedy shit.

Shape of Water (2017) - 8/10
I enjoyed it a lot. Many people told me that it's creepy and weird, but I found it quite artsy and fun.

Shazam! (2019) - 5/10
I expected more.

Mulan (2020) - 6/10
I expected less.

Onward - 7/10
A lot of wholesomeness, worth watching. This is the kind of animated movies for kids that actually bring some extra value.

Frozen II - 8/10
I expected much less. One of the thigs I liked was that there was't one central song, but it was several equally good songs that stayed with me. Also I liked the exploration and extension of Anna-Elsa relationship. Very good continuation of Frozen. Bought a DVD for my mom immediately after it was available.

Farenheit 451 - 5/10
Pretty vanilla book adaptation. But this dystopic theme is one of my favourites.

Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood - 7/10
For the 90% of the movie it didn't feel like a Tarantino movie. And then it did. I had a good fun, even rewatched it later.

Leave No Trace - 7/10
Good movie. I like the pace, Tom McKenzie was great here as well as in Jojo Rabbit. I recommend this one.

A Star Is Born - 6/10
Watched twice. It's over the par, but that's probably because of the musical part. The movie itself isn't very interesting.

Lost In Translation - 5/10
Strange. But was good watching young ScarJo and Bill Murray in a role that he doesn't usually play.

Murder on the Orient Express - 6/10
I grew up on David Suchet. And I like his version more. This one wasn't straight-up terrible, but it wasn't anythig breathtaking.

Aladdin (2019) - 6/10
Remaking something I grew up on into this hyper-realistic movie always feels strange. But it wasn't that bad. I thought the Genie-Dalia realtionship was a bit of an unnecessary addition, but whatever.

Tenet (2020) - 6/10
The time-reverse idea itself is 9 worthy, but the movie just felt flat. No overarching story other than 'bad guy wants to nuke the world'. Shame.

477 rated titles so far. Closing in on first 500.
Kazan
34mins club

Post by Kazan »

The Queen's Gambit (2020) - 9/10 mega good mini series about grill and chess
Sunshine
Kuski

Post by Sunshine »

I thought it was bit overhyped but still good, give it solid 7/10
Bludek
38mins club

Post by Bludek »

The Witcher (TV Series 2019)

I read all the books, I played Witcher 1 and Witcher 3 PC games and I was still confused about the plot of this series, I didn't quite understand the motives of the characters and I didn't know when and where some of the scenes took place. And the most to blame for this is imo the inadequate cast of the actors and the completely flawed storytelling. I really don't understand why the creators have completely changed the appearance of many characters without any obvious reasons. Triss and Fringilla bothered me every time they appeared on the show. Why did they look so drastically different from the characters pictured in the books and games? I didn't even like Yennefer all that much there. The performance of the actors generally quite sucked. Ciri hardly ever speaks and is "stiff", Yen doesn't look and doesn't act like the omnipotent and respected sorceress, and while Henry in the role of Geralt is great most of the time, sometimes he fucks something up too and the overall good impression from his performance is gone again. CGI and the overall visuals were ok for me. The last small complaint is about the decision of the creators to use the name Jaskier for Dandelion, which made some early dialogues super confusing to me.

I was really looking forward to the The Witcher series and maybe if the script was better and storytelling was less confusing, I would forget about the other mistakes. But atm it is only like 4,5/10 tops for me. I added half a point for "Toss A Coin To Your Witcher" song, because it fuckin rocks.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Watched a ton of movies/series lately, will mention only those which are worth mentioning.

WW1984 (2020) - 7/10
As always, beautiful Gal Gadot. Story not so breathtaking, but who cares.

The Old Guard (2020) - 6/10
Pretty fine action movie.

The Collini Case (2019) - 7/10
It's obvious that Germans are still recovering from the nazism, and this movie just underlines it. But it's a good picture situated in a courtroom setting.

The Queen's Gambit (2020) - 9/10
Very good chess setting short series.

Chernobyl (2019) - 10/10
Probably the best short series I have watched to date.

Na střeše (2019) - 9/10
This is basically Gran Torino, but in Czech setting. And it kicks.

Banksy and the Rise of Outlaw Art (2020) - 6/10
Not overwhelming, but got some new info about graffiti culture etc.

Spider man: Into the Spider-Verse (2020) - 8/10
I like when it goes back to animation, so they can do whatever they want to. And they didn't overdo it, so it felt fresh.

Tomb Rider (2018) - 5/10
Alicia Vikander tried her best. I know that this is kinda like the "origins" of Tomb Rider, there was action and all that, but wasn't anything special. If they make another TR movie with Alicia, I'll probably watch, but I'll probably give it another 5.

Little Women (2019) - 8/10
Wasn't 100% focused the whole time, but from what I have seen, it was great. Sets, costumes, acting, etc... Very good. Also, Timothée Chalamet.

Birds of Prey (2020) - 4/10
I can't remember a single thing that happened in this movie. Was like... 'fun, I guess?' but just super mediocre nothing.

Enola Holmes (2020) - 9/10
I was very entertained. I liked the setting, breaking the 4th wall here and there, light and not overdone action, jokes, and also the plot itself was okay. Imo MBB is such a great actress.

Murder Mystery (2020) - 2/10
Pure puke. I couldn't handle more than 12 minutes, I don't think.

Dark (2017-2020) - 9/10
Very entertaining German TV series, with closed plot, so it's not going anywhere else. It started kinda ominously, and very quickly became so tangled and complicated, but somehow the director/screenwriter still managed, the viewer is able to keep track of what is actually happening, yet they know there is so much they still don't know and are stoked to see how it all turns out. I really recommend if you want some different take on time travel, alternate realities etc.

Dota: Dragon's Blood (2021) - 3/10
What a joke.

Ava (2020) - 4/10
Pretty bad. Very generic assassin-gone-out-of-control movie.

Pitch Perfect (2012) - 7/10
I was surprised that even with all that highschool cringe, it was really enjoyable and watchable movie. Maybe thanks to Christophe Beck, who did spectacular job with the music.

Pitch Perfect 2 (2015) - 5/10
Still good, but lacked the novelty or a super big music hit of the first one. Still enjoyable music-wise, the plot was kinda drained.

Pitch Perfect 3 (2017) - 6/10
Them making this more action based and removed from the high school setting actually made it a better movie and to me it helped it being better than PP2. Still, the songs/sounds overall were best in the first movie, no doubt.

The Dark Tower (2017) - 3/10
Cringe guy slinging revolvers at evil demons and sorcerers. Sorry, Stephen King, this adaptation is really shit.

615 titles rated to date.