World Cup 8 prep

This is the only place for Elma polls on Moposite. Kuski of Month polls are also here. Read more info >>

Moderator: Moporators

Starting date

Poll ended at 22 May 2020, 20:45

Start August
31%
Mid August
3%
Start September
24%
Mid September
41%

Total votes: 29

Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

World Cup 8 prep

Post by Kopaka »

It is once again time to find the best in the world. This fall you will have the chance to join such legends as BoBBo, Dr_Luni, MP, Kazan and Zweq as World Champion of Elasto Mania when World Cup 8 is taking place. There is however a few things to get done before that and I hope you will all want to help.

Level designers
Levels for a world cup is created by the community. Details for submission will follow, but you can start making levels now. Important things to know: As a designer you can still play the cup and even your own level if it's picked, it's very important that the level has not been used before or seen by anyone else, a world cup usually has a variety of different kind of levels so making something a bit different can be useful.

Level pickers
We need a couple people to help select the levels. This job will require you to look at the submitted levels and together with a couple others decide on which to use. Level designing experience can be useful to help designers improving levels, but is also not required, having different kind of people in the team can make for the best mix. People in this team will also have to take care of adding events on the website and posting results in discord. As a member of this team your own levels can still be considered but you can not play the cup.

Getting the word out
A world cup is something that can get old players coming back, but only if they know about it. So make sure you tell your old elma friends about it. Any other ideas or actions to spread the word is also very welcome.

Format
The format has already been discussed recently in this topic. Based on that discussion I think the best format would be something like 12 week long events with a week break after each four or each three events. Maybe one skip.

Start time
Does none of the above interest you, but you just want to play? Well the only thing left is deciding on the exact start time. Take a look at the poll to let us know your preference. Note that start august would mean ending in mid november, and mid september would mean ending around the end of the year.
kuchitsu
Kuski

Re: World Cup 8 prep

Post by kuchitsu »

Do people really want one week breaks? I remember feeling so pumped up at the end of each event, even waiting 30 minutes between the results and the next lev was tough.
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

kuchitsu wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 08:10 Do people really want one week breaks? I remember feeling so pumped up at the end of each event, even waiting 30 minutes between the results and the next lev was tough.
I wouldn't mind having 2 day breaks between events if I'm actually playing, which I intend to do. It's not easy after weeks of constantly playing for the win to just jump into the next level after next every week without a moment to breathe.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

Yes, abso-fucking-lutely. Of course it's annoying it's annoying to have to wait for the next lev when you're stoked after results, but it's almost impossible to remain so stoked for 3 months straight, as can easily be judged by the number of people dropping out. Having 2-3 week-long breaks would make it a hell of a lot easier to balance the WCup and life more sensibly, which I would really love to do.
Hosp
38mins club
Team: MiE

Post by Hosp »

imo should have non-normal WCup during next FEM (2021) because large portion of pros gathered there with nothing to do but elma, maybe as a pack or 1 lev a day but super seriously
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

My vote would be wait until okeol
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

It can only be an option if we know what timescales jon has in mind

But either way I think it might be nice to have a "farewell" EOL WCup
danitah
Kuski

Post by danitah »

If someone is thinking about joining lev team but is not sure if their designer skills are good enough or whatever, it can be very useful to have one or two level testers as well.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Would be very nice if Elma/EOL on Steam could be in fully working order before World Cup starts! This might also be something to take into consideration with regards to when WCup8 should begin. For instance, if a slight postponement could mean it aligns with a fully working public release. Obviously nothing to think about right now before we know more of course.
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Bjenn »

SveinR wrote: 1 May 2020, 18:01 Would be very nice if Elma/EOL on Steam could be in fully working order before World Cup starts! This might also be something to take into consideration with regards to when WCup8 should begin. For instance, if a slight postponement could mean it aligns with a fully working public release. Obviously nothing to think about right now before we know more of course.
If EOL is going to be published as Workshop version on Steam, the server needs some attention first imo.
Bug that causes Memory leakage(?) or something which makes it imposisble to connect/chat/start battles.
Excessive number of added players will mean need for more resources most likely.

Not sure how big of a difference there is between 40 connected players and 400, maybe Kopaka or milagros can tell =)
jblaze
38mins club

Post by jblaze »

@Bjenn
viewtopic.php?p=257267#p257267

2nd paragraph ontopic, but written 2,5y ago. how up to date info is that? i dont know
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Kopaka is planning to deploy EOL to a new server on 22 May, 3 days ahead of the Steam launch. I don't understand most of the server details, so we'll have to wait for an announcement from Kopa :)
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Memory leak can be alleviated with weekly/daily automatic restart and adding more memory to server. Other issues such as the one's mentioned in the link in jblaze's post are still there, f5 issue could happen but otherwise we don't really know at which point it becomes critical. But august 2019 had half the monthly users of august 2011 where it ran fine. So I'd worry about getting more players before worrying about too many. As pawq mentions we're improving the infrastucture a bit which in theory at least should help a bit on things like lag. Increasing memory, disk space etc. is easy if needed and not too expensive.

Getting released on steam now so luckily that gives plenty of time to make sure things are running smooth by wcup time.