World Cup 8 Prize Pool Donations - discussion

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

abruzzi
Kuski

World Cup 8 Prize Pool Donations - discussion

Post by abruzzi »

This year, thanks to Kopaka's mercy and wilingness, we are going to experience crème de la crème - World Cup 8!

This year is very special - the 20th anniversary of Elasto Mania. Most probably FEM20 will not happen or it is going to be reduced, but we already have World Cup having been announced and an unprecedented event of Elma being advertised and added to a recognizable platform.

Therefore, we might expect quite many newcomers - but what is more important for this very event - a number of oldschoolers coming back, or skilled players like GRob, who visited EOL yesterday, and wanting to give the game another try.

But do we want a loud thing that rapidly keeps fading away towards the end? Why not try to optimize the stoke and add some sauce?

Kalmard is trying to make the game meet the current gaming industry's requirements. Let's show that EOL is not just a game for dummies during their leisure, but can also offer competitiveness and beauty that deserves to be rewarded with real prizes.

Some ILKKA may say
>elma
>money
choose one Image
but I will never agree to that and what's more I'm sure the likes of zweq, adi or Kazan wouldn't mind being generously appreciated for their .rec files.

If this would be found a good idea and some people donated to the prize pool, the options for dividing it are countless and I would like it to be the main focus of this discussion, like:

at the end: winner / top3 / top5 / top10 / top20 / ...
after each event: winner / top3 / increasing amount towards last event to keep stoke / ...
other bounties: random participant from top50 / secret areas / ...

So, what do you think about that? There is still time and I think as we are now a grown-up community, we could make it happen. Moreover, I have some questions to Kopaka: Would you be able to manage the money if this was a thing? What were the prizes after WC6 and WC7 as I don't remember at the moment?
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
ArZeNiK
37mins club

Re: World Cup 8 Prize Pool Donations - discussion

Post by ArZeNiK »

great idea
if i somehow miraculously reach a prize limit you can donate my money to charity
hi im arzenik :>
elmzuke.lev is the greatest piece of art ever created
kuchitsu
Kuski

Post by kuchitsu »

It would be nice to have some rewards for the level designers as well, e.g. for top 3 best levs.
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

good idee.

i was also thinking to involve betting somehow. what if some egame betting company would host that to attract interest? or if just inside community it might still attract more ppl to join in with money
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

I like the idea :) I think it would be very important to make sure that it's not just a winner that gets rewarded but other high-effort players too, to generally encourage everyone to do their best.
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

abruzzi wrote: 14 May 2020, 03:42What were the prizes after WC6 and WC7 as I don't remember at the moment?
WCup6 had donations which was enough to cover both wcup6 and 7. Physical throphies for top 3 and physical diplomas for top 10. If needed for wcup8 donations they can just be sent to the eol paypal with a note that it's for wcup.

Haven't given it any thought in regards to wcup 8 so any ideas is welcome of course. Just pure money prizes not that interesting imo since it'll never be that much any way.

Betting is something I've also thought of before. It could be interesting, but the problem is you never know who's going to play. In football wcup for example you know which countries are qualified and you know for sure those are going to try their best. For elma you never know, so I'd be wary of using real money on any betting. If someone is going to do it I'd suggst some kind of fun money with specific amount given out as a start. Then you can also have a competition to see who'll make the most profit.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Kopaka wrote: 14 May 2020, 20:32Betting is something I've also thought of before. It could be interesting, but the problem is you never know who's going to play. In football wcup for example you know which countries are qualified and you know for sure those are going to try their best. For elma you never know, so I'd be wary of using real money on any betting. If someone is going to do it I'd suggst some kind of fun money with specific amount given out as a start. Then you can also have a competition to see who'll make the most profit.
I strongly support this. There is also a potential conflict of interest, with players playing/not-playing in order to affect the odds in their favour.

Some purely for-fun competition could be great though, much in the vein of F1 Fantasy, where people get virtual money to spend on teams and drivers and get points based on their performance. I think there are some rewards for top people at the end, but no money involved afaik.
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

Kopaka wrote: 14 May 2020, 20:32 Just pure money prizes not that interesting imo since it'll never be that much any way.
I cannot agree less. If we had a prize pool of 2000e and rewarded top10 that would be for sure motivating for many. I think there might be many fulfilled people like Abula, John, Juish who maybe wouldn't mind adding some cash to the pot, feeling the importance of the 20th anniversary. Also the money people would spend normally for FEM. I think if there is a collective agreement it will mobilize the benefactors. If we keep saying not that interesting imo, nothing will happen. I can drop 100e.
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

I think money prizes are interesting even if like €10. However, it's a lot more memorable to have a trophy. 3D printed metal or something.
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

In my cups I have usually had only diplomas and stuff.
I have had also small money prizes (like 20 euros) but I think they haven't affected in any way to the competition. Probably bigger prizes (like 1000 euros) would cause some effect but hard to say is it good or bad. At least any kind of cheating should be cut out very carefully. And any kind of mistakes/offline time/bugs in the system would be very serious.
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
J-sim
39mins club

Post by J-sim »

I will believe in physical diplomas for world cup top 10's when I see one :cry:
Tm
35mins club
Team: EF

Post by Tm »

J-sim wrote: 22 May 2020, 15:49 I will believe in physical diplomas for world cup top 10's when I see one :cry:
can i cry too?
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

J-sim wrote: 22 May 2020, 15:49 I will believe in physical diplomas for world cup top 10's when I see one :cry:
Can always try asking Kopa to mail it to you :)
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

World Cup 8 prize pool

Post by Orcc »

Anyone up for donating some money to get top höyläs going and providing badass recs? I could chip in a couple dozen euros. Maybe we could gather whatever we get and then split it for example 60-30-10 % or maybe even give small fractions to more people, I guess it would depend on the total pot (probably doesn't make sense to send like 2 euros)
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Igge
38mins club

Re: World Cup 8 prize pool

Post by Igge »

I'm in if it could help incentivize more players to compete.

Maybe if the money could get distributed per event that would also help to bring more action to the last few levels, if you still get some money for top3 positions in each level, etc. Then I guess a separate sum for top3-5-10 points at the end depending on the pot.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
iltsu
37mins club

Re: World Cup 8 prize pool

Post by iltsu »

I think i can put some in prizepool. Maybe orka play cup.
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

I'm ready to chip in, too. Kopaka, if you agree, could you make it official and maybe some donators visible? Also, I'll talk with jaytea whether he might maybe wish to shift part of his tremendous 1000$ donation for this very reason.
jaytea
37mins club

Post by jaytea »

abruzzi wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 04:22 I'm ready to chip in, too. Kopaka, if you agree, could you make it official and maybe some donators visible? Also, I'll talk with jaytea whether he might maybe wish to shift part of his tremendous 1000$ donation for this very reason.
It's not mine to shift, but the donation was essentially for the advancement of the community, and Wcup is part of the community. So this move would certainly have my blessing if indeed that were required
im pretty good at elma
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

jaytea wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 06:30
abruzzi wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 04:22 I'm ready to chip in, too. Kopaka, if you agree, could you make it official and maybe some donators visible? Also, I'll talk with jaytea whether he might maybe wish to shift part of his tremendous 1000$ donation for this very reason.
It's not mine to shift, but the donation was essentially for the advancement of the community, and Wcup is part of the community. So this move would certainly have my blessing if indeed that were required
WOW JT... THANKS FOR COMING BACK AND THANKS FOR HAVING YOU HERE, I'M SPEECHLESS
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Seems to be a decent interest in this, so we have opened up for donations. Will put a bit aside for the physical prizes and then use the rest for money prizes. See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10081 for details.

jaytea wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 06:30
I'm open for this as well, we can see how things look when we get closer and shift some if we feel like we need more ;)
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

Did teh donation, total sum counter can be seen in #worldcup8 tropic in Discord
NoobSty2-competition

Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

Prize pool is currently getting close to $500, come join the donations to make this the sickest cup ever! STOKE
NoobSty2-competition

iltsu
37mins club

Post by iltsu »

Where to donate?
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

iltsu wrote: 9 Aug 2020, 21:25 Where to donate?
Donations are accepted for prizes, you can donate by sending a paypal transfer to elastomaniaonline@gmail.com or donating through https://elmaonline.net/help/donate (you can use a paypal account or just type in card info) in either case make sure you write world cup in the note.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Also donated.

Maybe also a small physical prize for best level, voted by the cup participants?

I guess it might be skewed towards the earlier levels though since more people play those..
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Igge wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 20:01I guess it might be skewed towards the earlier levels though since more people play those..
Wasn't the case last time :)
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9686

+1 for doing the contest again!
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

pawq wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 09:09
Igge wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 20:01I guess it might be skewed towards the earlier levels though since more people play those..
Wasn't the case last time :)
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9686

+1 for doing the contest again!
Cool! Hadn't seen that poll.

Imo would be fun to have some prize or diploma to top3 voted levels or so. Hopefully it might stimulate more people to make levels as well :)
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Igge wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 19:07Imo would be fun to have some prize or diploma to top3 voted levels or so. Hopefully it might stimulate more people to make levels as well :)
Dude, you were LITERALLY THERE

https://mm.1g.fi/kuvat/FEM2017/pawq/DSC ... ophies.MOV

4:47 - Ramone raising best wcup lev trophy
4:49 - Igge rubbing hands

:D
iltsu
37mins club

Post by iltsu »

Donated
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

Oh dame it's $650 already. I'm sure we can hit $1000, join our common quest!
NoobSty2-competition

Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

pawq wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 20:44
Igge wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 19:07Imo would be fun to have some prize or diploma to top3 voted levels or so. Hopefully it might stimulate more people to make levels as well :)
Dude, you were LITERALLY THERE

https://mm.1g.fi/kuvat/FEM2017/pawq/DSC ... ophies.MOV

4:47 - Ramone raising best wcup lev trophy
4:49 - Igge rubbing hands

:D
The problem is I can't remember what I did yesterday. No way I can remember 2 years ago.. :oops:

But that prize (and ceremony/speech) is beautiful! And because of my poor memory is exactly the reason I need elma paraphernalia in my house to remember those awesome moments.

Great idea back then, and i hope this year we can have something similar 8)
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

Guyies, the World Cup is starting at the end of next week! The price pool is now at over $750, let's make a final push together to reach the nice $1000 (or maybe even as Markku put it, a nice and round number $1024)!

STOKE
NoobSty2-competition

Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

The last three days before the cup starts and we're $90 short from the sick target of $1000, who will deliver the final donations?
NoobSty2-competition