World Cup 9?

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

World Cup 9?

Post by Kopaka »

It's time to talk about world cup 9. If we follow the current cadence it should happen in spring 2024. So there's a few things to discuss.

Time and interest
Is there still interest in a world cup and is late winter/early spring 2024 a good start time or should it be later?

Format
How many events should it have, should there be any longer or shorter events than the normal 1 week, should there be any breaks etc.? To refresh your memory the amount of events has been between 20 and 12 in previous world cups. Last one was 12 one week events with 3 one week breaks.

Levels
Now might be a good time to start working on levels, also we'll need a few people to be the level pickers.
Igge
38mins club

Re: World Cup 9?

Post by Igge »

Time
I think Q1/spring was very nice for BOSS cup this year. Feels like not as many people traveling or doing other things, and its winter for most kuskis so feels more oke to spend hours inside hoyling (sorry oceania and south america).

Interest
Yes!!

Format
I think normal 1-week events are fine, just put the variation in the levels instead.

I would prefer like 15 events and 2-3 skips rather than 12 events and scheduled breaks. There will always be like 1-2 weeks where individuals can't play, but they will never be the same weeks for all kuskis, so better keep them "customizable".

Levels
Pls no speedloops. theyre just not that fun to play(
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
iltsu
37mins club
Team: EF

Post by iltsu »

I agree with igge about format. More skips, less breaks. Most of us are old mans and cant schedule our weeks for elma worldcup.
Pocho
Kuski
Team: CMR

Post by Pocho »

Yes pls more skips, but also two breaks in between

Say 15 events, breaks after 5th and 10th #helt

Also I'd go for after-fem kickoff date

It can run longer than usual, I don't think people would mind
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

Interest: yes
Format: 12 one week events with two skips and one week break after 6 events.
Time: seems good.
Levs: please more speedloops ;)

Not into lev picking/organising but I'll send a couple of levs and say "thank you for organising" a lot.
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

12 events, 2 skips, ideally finishing in May or June, no later. Maybe one break mid-way but personally don't need, wouldn't play that hardcore much to need one anyway.
39:37,91
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

I have not played in years, but I think it would be fun to revisit the game for this.
God Bless America
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

interst: yes
play: duno
lev: can make
ToMaT
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

imo 15 events no skips, or 1 if we must, with maybe 3 breaks, with skips you kind of have to play all events anyway if you're tryharding in order to improve positions
tej
Kuski

Post by tej »

Kopaka wrote: 22 Aug 2023, 11:29 imo 15 events no skips, or 1 if we must, with maybe 3 breaks, with skips you kind of have to play all events anyway if you're tryharding in order to improve positions
Skips are not as relevant for the tryhards, but there are plenty of casuals who may appreciate a couple or a few.
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

imo skips are more relevant for pros, exactly for the reason that they play so much more every event. By allowing skips it's OK if you have a busy week at school or work or in life in general, and you don't need to feel anxiety for not playing that event regardless of when it happens.

If you look at BOSS cup, only one player in the top5 didn't skip an event, and that was barryp in 5th place. All others in pos1-4 skipped at least one level. Now instead imagine a break was forced during like w7, but then w8 was your very busy life week, then you're screwed if you could have played w7 but not w8.

Also, not having forced breaks i think is funnier for casuals like myself, because we only play the levels for a few hours anyway, so we can always play the level a little at least, regardless of life that week. That way we don't have the stale weeks where nothing happens, but instead you can always play some WC if you have nothing better to do.

All in all I think skips makes it so that real life has less impact on the results in the cup, as you can mold the 15 weeks to your life. Also I think it makes it better for causals who just want to play each lev a bit for fun, since you don't have to wait 1w several times for next event.
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

maybe 3-4 skips/20 is oke
ToMaT
specter2
Kuski

Post by specter2 »

Time and interest
it is interesting, timing should be so that it ends before july or preferably already before june.

Format
i think breaks are a bit boring and it's better to just allow skips so people can have breaks whenever they feel like it. 12-15 events and 2-3 skips i would say. if need to have a break then one in the mid should be enough.

Levels
i would really encourage people to spend some time figuring out how to make a level challenging without just inserting pixel apples/flowers or making some perfect adjustment requiring tricks. for example last wcup first event was really tiring to play for hours to just try and get over the spikes in the tunnel. also keep in mind how fps affects the physics and can make some pixel tricks really hard if not impossible. maybe prefer "tricks" and routes that don't totally fuck up your good ride if you don't get it exactly right, but the better you perform it the better your time will be. i also prefer a big longer levels than shorter ones and multiroutes are always interesting. last year's pipe event was also a total disaster so hopefully something was learnt from it as well.
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

interest: dunno if play
break: no break, 3 skips
levels: 15
Team SPEED

pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

Time and interest
Winter or early spring sach probably best to have it running, since late spring / early summer already has more travelling etc).

Format
Very agree with everyone on skips over breaks, I think Igge put it very well (agree with every point he made).

Levels
🍰
umiz
Kuski

Post by umiz »

12 weeks (every event 1 week)
2 skips

Levs
1 pipe
1 weird
1 long, like 5 minute level
1 short
9 norm cup levs
[i cruise, i lev, i live]
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Seems to be a consensus that it should be early next year, so we need to get things in motion.

• If you like making levels, it's time to get started on a level or three
  • If you are up for helping in arranging please reach out to me, it could be in level picking in which case you cannot play the cup, or other practical things (prizes, PR etc.) in which case you can still play
  • If there's more thoughts on format let it be known here
  • Apple results: With the auto upload of replays, anyone who touched the level will be in results if apple results are turned on. Currently we can only turn apple results on for a whole cup, not individual events. So my question is should we change this? Meaning, should apple results be in results for all events or only for pipes and similar events?
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

Nowadays there's no more need to manually check the .levs and replays when creating renaults, so in that sense I don't see the harm in having apple pickers there as well. To make the possible WC9 badge require at least some effort to achieve you could make it so that non-finishers won't get points in norm levs and you'll need points from every event (other than skips) to be eligible.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Still need some people for level picking team, please reach out if you are interested.
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

World Cup 9 date is announced! Starting February 11th 2024. https://wcup.site/

Level submission is now open! Send your level(s) to wc9levels@gmail.com, or by Discord PM to Markku, Ramone, or Labs. The submission deadline is January 15th 2024. We are looking for all kinds of levels, let your creativity run wild!
Hosp
38mins club

Post by Hosp »

why send to Labs he doesnt elma anymore only across

(j0kke)
ToMaT
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

across levels work in elma :>
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Five days left to create your masterpieces. Send your level(s) to wc9levels@gmail.com
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Elasto Mania World Cup 9 starts this Sunday at 21 EET (UTC+2). 15 Events of one week each. Go to the cup section on eol site to see more and download the first level on Sunday. You can also use the short url: wcup.site and see the widget on the front page of https://elma.online

The World Cup 8 mvoie is finally ready. To get you in the mood for World Cupping It will premiere on Sunday four hours before the first event of World Cup 9 at 17 EET (UTC+2). This will be updated with youtube link later, or you can keep an eye on discord on Sunday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsclVaPB4W8
Last edited by Kopaka on 10 Feb 2024, 21:02, edited 2 times in total.
specter2
Kuski

Post by specter2 »

Kopaka wrote: 7 Feb 2024, 22:36 Elasto Mania World Cup 9 starts this saturday at 21 EET (UTC+2).
???
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

specter2 wrote: 8 Feb 2024, 08:48
Kopaka wrote: 7 Feb 2024, 22:36 Elasto Mania World Cup 9 starts this saturday at 21 EET (UTC+2).
???
thanks, fixed
Kopaka
39mins club

Post by Kopaka »

Second event is going on. If you forgot to participate remember there's two skips, so even if you start now you haven't skipped a beat.

https://wcup.site