Elma and hardware configuring, where are we going ?

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Elma and hardware configuring, where are we going ?

Post by dz »

Not long ago DarmoeD published a article about vsync and stuff and how it helps to do things easier in many ways if you configure certain things.

"smtimes u die when the head is not even too close to the ground, but with these setting all become cool" is a paste about dmd's thoughts on freefall after he did little "configuring" on display card.

Normally one computer often has some "advantage" on certain stuff like bug bouncing easier somewhere, now its like if u master configuring your computer, u can do alot easier some tricks and movements, it's like having all the computers in the world and playing certain levels with suitable one. One could think it's not that fair for everyone, well, what to do then ? maybe some large how-to-guide or something ? Practically, that's kinda impossible i think since i've got a picture its so different on every computer.

Maybe we should just learn to master configuring system ourselves ? :)
i would LOVE to do freefall :D
Last edited by dz on 9 Sep 2002, 04:53, edited 2 times in total.
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

i guess it's natural that u need tons of knowledge to become a world champion. altho it seems like elma is not really programmed too well for this - i don't know much about programming - but it should be possible to make a version that is fair... grrrrrrrrr
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
jcl
Donator duck

Post by jcl »

Giving up is the easiest solution.
As I have no interest in WRs (at least not yet), I don't care what is needed to drive a WR or a really good time :?
the weed fan club
Karlis
Höylä Optimus

Post by Karlis »

just put 500$ on your video card like you all pros have done and then you r0ck0r.

still playing with my hercules dynamite 128 with 2 mb memory, try to adjust that, d'oh.
Tomorrow's Lucky Run Solutions Today
Flowertouching Men
onlainari
Kuski

onla is passioned

Post by onlainari »

I really even don't aim to wr's and success but still I eagerly want to try this new feature in elma. I have tried it already sum with my matrox 8mb memory card,and first I found it hard and saw no effect,but then I tweaked sum more and I can change the gameplay abit ,but that doesn't help me at all..ignoring couple exceptions though... Well to you dz,you said what you can do now and it's just a normal decision like any other,you go for it or not. But I think you can still make wr's without it for next 318 days. Anywayz it'z KEW.
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

in a few years computers with good hardware for elma will be more expensive :lol:

...i wonder how balazs did it
:roll:
[carebox]
Karlis
Höylä Optimus

Re: onla is passioned

Post by Karlis »

onlainari wrote:I really even don't aim to wr's and success
lol, you just said on the other reply that you played 7 hours hi-flyer without breaks. and with right vsync setting you'll get that supermegabounce which will eventually lead you to the goal, hi-flyer wr.

I hate this hardware tuning, seems like almost every pro player has some supermegafast 3d-card and they have different vsync setting on each lev and so on...........

it just sounds stupid to buy new megafast 3-d card for elma which is, at least I think so, a 2-d game..........well........
Flowertouching Men
onlainari
Kuski

Post by onlainari »

ok I tried a WR a bit but i'm satisfied the result I got...I didn't hoyl hifly last nite at all.. I don't get good bounce w my vsync settings...I might buy a new videocard...I need it for nhl2003 too
kuiva
Kuski

Post by kuiva »

argh, please!

...please don't do this 'settings-changing-vsync-hardware-stuff'...it's so unfair and it makes me so sad...

could we just agree to play without this tuning-thing?
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

ok, it's a deal. no vsync tuning.
-
-
Karlis
Höylä Optimus

Post by Karlis »

even if you don't tune at all, nvidia cards beats others
Flowertouching Men
GodFather
Kuski

Video c-a-r-d-s

Post by GodFather »

Hmm... This sounds wierd but I bought a 2000 € computer just to play Elma... and then I bought 300 € GForce 4 cuz my Elma lagged... But hey it's everyones own decision to use that vsync thing. If you can do it then do it.
"... And you will now my name is the LORD when I lay my fingaz upon thee"
kuiva
Kuski

Post by kuiva »

godfather, how the hell can u say "it's everyones own decision to use that vsync thing. If you can do it then do it."

so use the save&load if u can it's your decision???...use the rec-editing if u can it's your decision???

god...what if someone tunes and wins wcup event with few hundredths and his ride ends 0,5cm before flower...without tuning someone who actually would have had faster ride would have won?

if someones rec ends 0,5cm before the flower i think that depending on the bikes speed 0,05-0,2seconds should be added to his time.
MP
Hat Tricker²

Post by MP »

I would never use tuner, I play this game because it's SIMPLE and fun.
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

kuiva wrote:godfather, how the hell can u say "it's everyones own decision to use that vsync thing. If you can do it then do it."

so use the save&load if u can it's your decision???...use the rec-editing if u can it's your decision???

god...what if someone tunes and wins wcup event with few hundredths and his ride ends 0,5cm before flower...without tuning someone who actually would have had faster ride would have won?

if someones rec ends 0,5cm before the flower i think that depending on the bikes speed 0,05-0,2seconds should be added to his time.
what do u suggest then? i think the fairest way of competing is allowing everything that can't be tracked, cos there's no doubt ppl will say they don't do stuff that is not allowed.
-
-
GodFather
Kuski

what?

Post by GodFather »

This is my opinion: If I were a nerd programmer i would prolly hack the Elma... But then I'd eventually get bored and quit playing Elma. So I don't wanna use those "things" cuz i wanna play elma. But hell yeah it's everyones own decision
kuiva
Kuski

Post by kuiva »

to karlis, if someone has nvidia then nothing can be done about that...it's a little same as havin extra comfortable keyboard or smth...

i just hope and ask that players wouldn't use tuning...maybe some doods still use it but i also believe that most of the doods are fair and don't want to cheat and want to keep the game as fair as possible.

to ribot, well i don't have any suggestions when it comes to rec-editing and save&load...if it's found out that someone uses these things i think he should be banned for every list for ever...somekinda patch or smth which would prevent those things would of course be very very cool.

and at least it's pretty easy to see if someones rec stops 0,5cm before flower.
GodFather
Kuski

WRs!!!!!!!

Post by GodFather »

I know one way what will surely stop cheating... that's showing every WR to everyone :P . I'm 65% sure :wink:
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

how about some program which calculates distances of bike and closest object all the time? then we could always see if bike doesnt touch flower too early.
Abula
Moposite admin

Post by Abula »

dz wrote:how about some program which calculates distances of bike and closest object all the time? then we could always see if bike doesnt touch flower too early.
There could be many programs for anti-cheating but unfortunately not too many programmers out there to code those.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

i just like to point out that darmeod uses tuning, maybe u should ask him to stop? heh
-
-
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

after few hours of testing with rivatuner's settings, i found no affect at all.
i tried bouncing, wallheads and just general bike's behaviour, and didn't notice any kind of unnormality. although im not at all a right person to test it's true advantages cuz i really suck at configuring disp.card, but i take it as some kind of relief, at least it's not that magical it might have seemed.

anyone else tried ?