Elma demography

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

sierra
39mins club

Elma demography

Post by sierra »

Like wtf, statistically, the distribution of elma players seems really weird to me. Why is it that Finland of all nations has so many good players? Why are there so many Australians? Why are there barely any Americans (certainly no good ones right now) and yet a lot of great Canadian dudes?

As far as I know elma is not marketed or advertised in any way... it's pretty much up to the individual's luck that he stumbles across it, yet it seems you are much more likely to become an elma player if you're from Australia or Canada than if you are from South Africa or the USA.

And as someone pointed out not long ago, there are no known Asian players. How/why? I live in Asia and there are plenty of big gaming fans, certainly they play all the regular games like CS and WoW, so it's surprising that really none have found their way to the elma scene.

So can anyone answer, what is this secret quality latent in only a handful of countries that invariably turns its residents into höyläs of Elma??
[OMG] | [SpEF] | Apparently my TT was once 39:26:06
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I especially wonder about the scandinavian hype around it. I don't take enough with the isolation there. Is there some huge foundation which is busy with just spreading the game there? :?
Ky.Jelly
Flood to teh MAX

Post by Ky.Jelly »

the asian thing is not quite so true sierra, if you use the search function here, something im not going to do right now but you will find a couple of links to asian elma sites, granted no big names
[10:51:18] <skint0r> i could SACh see KyJelly working at ICA ;D
[10:51:37] <skint0r> "vad kostar denna?" "wtf ch0b0"
Thursday, March 2nd 2005, 0942 i was 3333 [4.43% of total / 3.25 posts per day]
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Well, it is true though that there are way more guys from Scandinavia ( Finland, Norway, ... ) than from Africa and Asia. But, you have to agree that from the U.S., there was StikkyBear who wasn't bad at all !
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
teajay
Donator duck

Re: Elma demography

Post by teajay »

@BoneLESS:
sierra wrote:Why are there barely any Americans (certainly no good ones right now) and yet a lot of great Canadian dudes?
stikky is like: dead.
Jonas
Kuski

Post by Jonas »

StikkyBear might be good but I don´t think he is comparable with Tor or Zweq or the other best players of scandinavia....
TT: 43:18:94 Jonas [GF]
CMc
39mins club

Post by CMc »

I'd like to know how many Americans are out there that are serious players. Am I the only one???
TT: 39:43:40

CMc's Elma Site: 100+ levels, PTL, Hoyla, and Pipe pack. And alot of other crap. http://www.freewebs.com/cmcelma/
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

For now, i think so..
Juble
Hat tricker

Post by Juble »

There arent that many Australians, max of about 10 'serious' players over the time Ive been here. And you can consider Australia as Asia coz there is so many of them here :lol: :cry:
Ky.Jelly
Flood to teh MAX

Post by Ky.Jelly »

lol juble, ye you can do say that about over here as well
[10:51:18] <skint0r> i could SACh see KyJelly working at ICA ;D
[10:51:37] <skint0r> "vad kostar denna?" "wtf ch0b0"
Thursday, March 2nd 2005, 0942 i was 3333 [4.43% of total / 3.25 posts per day]
psteve
Kuski

Post by psteve »

lol ye there are NOT many australians in the scene, however many people here played the game while they were in school so it's well known. also, i showed this game to an asian friend of mine who said he played it in high school too, and he went to high school in hong kong.
so i believe what is happening is that if there are few players from a country in the scene, for example usa, noone sticks around (not even stikky). As there are so many scandinavians, they hang around and then improve and then become well known in the scene. as there is no big asian scene, noone gets involved enough in the game to do a little google search and find moposite. if there was an asian scene, word of mouth would spread that there is one, and it would grow.
[/ramble]
I am a Flying Spaghetti Monsterian. My God has noodly appendage. The reduction in pirates is the cause of global warming.
ribot
Not banned

Re: Elma demography

Post by ribot »

why is the distribution so weird? if elma doesnt have advertisment, it spreads through friendships. across has been popular in finland and sweden since years ago, and has spread more in these countries. i'd say this is the main reason. maybe because in the beginning ppl in these countries got involved, making sites...and stuff.

also, it is a matter of internet availability. sweden and finland have had very high availability for years. without it ppl not only can have a hard time finding levels and compeitions, but even hear of the game, both through word of mouth and chat.

english. in asia ppl dont speak as good english as in europe, especially as in northern europe.

competition. since sweden and finland have so much competition, it will lure competitive minds to start compete.

communication. already mentioned it, but whatever.

culture. northern europe have very organized societies, ppl following rules, and stuff like that. probably not like that in usa eh. but canada though.

bullshit. all this is of course bullshit speculations that dont explain anything.
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

I guess Scandinavia and Canadian live in the north so, in winter, they have nothing to do of their lifes so, they play elastomania...

God knows that if i lived in California ( Southern USA ), i would always be outside, skateboarding, taking some sun on the beach... maybe i would play elma but, way less !
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
Crypt
Kuski

Post by Crypt »

how about canadians!
TT ~ 50:42
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

eh..I don't get that. What do you mean with "how about canadians?"
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Crypt wrote:how about canadians!
? What about canadians ??? I am canadian, i would like to know what there is about me !? :?
Epsilon
Kuski

Post by Epsilon »

No Asians? What about Israelies that are popping up in here once in a while? :?

Edit : Umm.. yeah, of course.. Check the Elma around the world thing for demographic spread of Elasto Mania... It hasn't been updated in a long while, but it's still nice.
Last edited by Epsilon on 31 Mar 2005, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.
Epsilon | TT : 45:42,82 | Elma Around the World | Smile levpack
teajay
Donator duck

3k: sick

Post by teajay »

Those are the same that participate in the eurovision song festival.
Eklectro
Kuski

Post by Eklectro »

and whats about groenland's inhabitants ?
HARDCORE WILL NEVER DIE /// 45 min club
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Well, you should feel bad for them, they live in the middle of nowhere, and they have nothing to do but throwing snowballs. Give them a break will ya?

I mean, israeli's got lots of other things to do.

But anyway, this is way out of topic. The fact is that there are asians playing this game, (israel, uae) but no obvious asians as we regard them (china, japan, thailand). And why is that? Is it a language problem? Is it what? Don't they like the game type maybe? :?
Mopotechnic
Kuski

Post by Mopotechnic »

There are few good players in russia because on the first view the game will have usually 2d - arcade. But if you play more than two days, you will be play for whole year.
P.s sorry for my bad english, i have no time to improve it because i play in Elma!!!
Flat
Kuski

Post by Flat »

i just wanted to point out that china has communistic governement and unless i'm wrong, the ordinary chinese inhabitant has problems to connect to internet (as he could see more than he should) :)
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Hey, you're bound to forget that easily indeed. :roll:
So that's already 1.3 billion ppl less potential elma players. Now figure out why the other asians who play lots of fps and shit (correct me if im wrong) don't come to elma?
ribot
Not banned

Post by ribot »

china can reach the elastomania site and there are chinese players.
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

Mopotechnic wrote:There are few good players in russia because on the first view the game will have usually 2d - arcade. But if you play more than two days, you will be play for whole year.
P.s sorry for my bad english, i have no time to improve it because i play in Elma!!!
I don't think that is a reason, it doesnt matter what country that you come from elma is still just a "2D game" at first sight, :)
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
ead
Kuski

Post by ead »

im canadian and im still pretty noob, but i've been playing for like 2 years, almost everyone at my high school and the area know about elma. im the only one actually doing a bit of *hoyling* and trying to get into the scene though xD i dont think the winter theory holds up around here, we have lots of winter and still, no serious elma players :(
TT: 43:59,45 Riff Raff! Always good for a laugh!
The_BoneLESS
38mins club

Post by The_BoneLESS »

ead wrote:im canadian [...] i dont think the winter theory holds up around here, we have lots of winter and still, no serious elma players :(
If you mean no real canadian elma players througout all canada, you forgot :

- Ciph
- Juish
- Miekk
- Memphis
- Dynamo
- Twipley
- BoneLESS

and some others maybe...
ead
Kuski

Post by ead »

lol :oops: i meant around here, but i did forget about everyone else >_< but there are some chinese exchange students here right now... maybe in a year there will be a billion chinese people with under 36 mins o_o :lol:
TT: 43:59,45 Riff Raff! Always good for a laugh!