IMDB votelists

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Bjenn
35mins club
Team: EF

Re: IMDB votelists

Post by Bjenn »

Warm Bodies (2013) - 8/10
Very very likeable movie =)))

Man of Steel (2013) - 8.5/10
Wow.. just insanely good! Love it!
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

The Way Back (2010) - 7/10
Good music and beautiful pictures, that's all I wanted from it.

Winter's Bone (2010) - 7/10
Completely different than what I thought this would be. Impressive mood, good acting, music and shooting style.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Seven Pounds (2008) - 10/10
What can I say... Utterly beautiful. My feelings about The Pursuit of Happyness were similar. And Will Smith remains one of my favourite actors! It's the third 10 he got from me :)

Silver Linings Playbook (2012) - 9/10 -> 10/10!!!
Both Cooper and Lawrence are perfect, also I now appreciated DeNiro much more now than the first time I'd seen it :) And the music!

This might have been the best film night I've ever done! :D What's more, it's good to find out that my new housemates share a similar film taste with me :)
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

Watched cloud atlas yesterday. I'm impressed a 3-hour film managed to keep my attention until 2am even after having been awake and active for like 17 hours before I started watching. I really enjoyed it, probably some 8/10
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

watched many from top250 past months . oldboy and memento pretty impressing, although i didnt really 'feel' anything. forrest gunp quite 'pure' and niec. back to future quite sik for 80s, seen 2 and 3 when was kid so wasnt realy new experiecne unfortunatyl. dark knight returns simply bad, the oter batman from some years ago was much better and DARKER
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Babel (2006) - 7/10
This film is really nicely done, however, not all people will find it entertaining, its not the one of the pop/mass culture produced fims, but Brad Pitt + Cate Blanchett.. mhmm good :)

Crash (2004) - 7/10
These two films are very similar in one way. Both worth watching. Overcoming problems is a good topic in films, I like that.
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

Pawq, be aware that I recommended The Way, Way Back featuring Steve Carell and Toni Collette and not The Way Back which you just rated. Just saying :)
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Yeah I know :) Thanks for the notice though :)
Kazan
34mins club

Post by Kazan »

Trance (2013) - 7/10
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

It's Kind of a Funny Story (2010) 8/10
Very life movie, liked it a lot!
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Mind Hunters (2004): 6/10
This film got me dizzy, blood and gore everywhere, plus playing with one´s mind. Not a horror, but kinda thriller full of violence.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

The Lone Ranger - 5/10
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - 9/10

I just had to watch it. :) As usual, a lot of teh original story was compromised for simplicity, but as far as movies go, this was done really well.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

Seven Psychopaths (2012) - 7/10
Oldboy (2003) - 8/10
39:37,91
nick-o-matic
Kuski

Post by nick-o-matic »

First time visited the movie theater of my studying town. Watched The Lone Ranger (2013) with gf. I don't know what number to give. I think I didn't enjoy it too much. It had some wtfweird stuff and it was quite ADHD action, which I don't like. During the movie the main characters just narrowly avoided death in some ridicuosly unrealistic way like 50 times each. Things like that get boring really quickly.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

nick-o-matic wrote:...I don't know what number to give...
Try Lousku´s scale
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Idiocracy - 3/10
I have a friend who told me about this movie and it seemed like a funny film, but I was disappointed. The plot could have taken another "route", the humour wasn't my kind of humour and the characters were not that likable.
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Yip Man 2 (2010) 7/10
Very good, as good as the first.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Eyes Wide Shut (1999) - 8/10
Sooo weird, but a great thought provoker. Also both Kidman and Cruise were amazing, even though I don't really like Kidman :o

A Good Day to Die Hard (2013) - 3/10
So bad :S

Spring Breakers (2012) - 5/10
Hm, I expected puke, but it had some nice moments and the music (Skillrex?! :L Far from dubby at times) was quite impressive.

Now You See Me (2013) - 5/10
Quite a disappointment. I was quite excited because until now the only two films about magic that I had seen were The Illusionist and The Prestige, both among my all-time favourites. But this was much closer to Ocean's Eleven in terms of both the story and the storytelling. Minus the great humour, the great music and the great cast of Ocean's. Plus lots of numb teenage action around a pretty unintelligent story. Still fairly enjoyable though...

My pc died about a week ago. Really annoying, some loose metal piece from the case got itself between the mobo and the back of the case and shortcircuited some connections, mobo fried :( Anyway, writing here because most likely there will be no, or very few ratings for the next few weeks (/months?) before I raise money for a decent replacement.

See you around guys!
5tr1k3r
Kuski

Post by 5tr1k3r »

Now you see me - most underwhelming movie ever
RED (2010) - great movie
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Warm Bodies (2013) - 8/10 cute!
Life of Pi (2012) - 7/10 pretty good
The Great Dictator (1940) - 9/10 nice one, considering when it was made
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Just a question, is it so hard to put link inside the movie title?
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

You could make a poll about it
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

It does take significantly longer time than just typing the name.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Springsteen & I - 6/10
Decent documentary about people telling stories about what Bruce means to them and about different Bruce experiences. For example this guy dressed as Elvis who went to a concert with the sign "Can The King sing with The Boss?" which got him up on stage and the whole E Street Band improvised some Elvis for like a whole song :) After the credits there was an extra 40 minutes of concert material from Hyde Park 2012 (the concert where they cut the power on Bruce and Paul McCartney because the concert had been for too long) and an epilogue.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Kopaka wrote:It does take significantly longer time than just typing the name.
Still maybe about 5 seconds...

John: I'll give it a go when I have the opportunity, your description makes it tempting! Let's also make it the last chance for documentaries in general :p
5tr1k3r wrote:Now you see me - most underwhelming movie ever
RED (2010) - great movie
I agree with both! I'm really looking forward to RED 2, RED was such an amusing and pleasant to watch film :)
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Nice Pawq :) The coal thing about it was that I got to see HD stuff from Hyde Park in a big theatre with good sound, it was almost like being at a concert. The documentary alone was only decent, lots of home-made movies of which half suffered from VVS (Vertical Video Syndrome (youtube it)). So, you might not like it as much. Also, "the last chance" for documentaries sounds frightening ;(

The Purge - 4/10
An OK concept pulled off pretty badly. America is doing well, only 1% unemployment rate and hardly any violence except for The Purge. It's an annual night where you get away with anything, even murder. Many people just take shelter to survive the night, others take the opportunity to get back at people who have done them wrong. Bad casting and stupid fukkin characters ruined it for me. I also felt it was too short, I wanted to see more of what happened afterwards.

OK, dog has eaten. Now out for a poo walk then back to the theatre for World War Z (again) :D
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

The Impossible (2012) - 7/10
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

I still want to watch the purge, even you rated it so low, just to see what kind of stuff is that. The concept idea doesnt seem too bad, but yeh, i hate terible acting.
also I have seen one episode of GLEE series. It really made me sick. what the hell are those people filming nowadays? it was really disgusting to see how it all rotates around one damn thing, which is in this case "relationships". never, ever watch such a shiat.
5tr1k3r
Kuski

Post by 5tr1k3r »

Watched Warm Bodies yesterday, liked the atmosphere and the movie overall, pleasant experience, seems about 7-7.5 to me. Can't say it's a deep movie though, there is not much to it, so to say.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

John: I think I mentioned before that documentaries generally don't seem to appeal to me, it's not that I criticise the genre as a whole. I may have exaggerated a bit about the last chance, but certainly each next documentary that I don't like will decrease the odds of me ever watching another one...

Relating to recent references to Warm Bodies and World War Z: what's with the recent fashion for vampires and zombies??? Am I the only one finding that odd and extremely unattractive?

Also Xarthok: could you please briefly describe what made you like/enjoy The Impossible? I'm genuinely interested and there's no sarcasm here!
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

Pawq wrote:Relating to recent references to Warm Bodies and World War Z: what's with the recent fashion for vampires and zombies??? Am I the only one finding that odd and extremely unattractive?
Better than endless goddamn superhero movies! :D
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Man of Steel was insanely good though! And yes pawq you are probably alone about that. I love zombie movies, following True Blood also, Zombieland and Warm Bodies such awesome movies!
5tr1k3r
Kuski

Post by 5tr1k3r »

I'm watching True blood series too, one of my favorite tv shows actually (though i'm not a huge fan overall) =)
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Pawq: It was well acted and the visuals were truly stunning. The common complaint is about it being a disaster where 200k people die and they have to make it about attractive Americans but I don't give a shit about that. Time well spent for me.
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

I agree with Xarthok.

Silver Linings Playbook (2012) - 8/10
Shid what a great movie!
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

Lousku: agree about superheroes, I usually don't like those too, but theoretically they should be appealing... I mean, superheroes are by definition supercool right? (In theory only ofc). But what about zombies? By definition they are rotten people... Come on, bleh :<

Xarthok: What about the story?? I agree that the acting was decent (though typical for this kind of films), and visuals obviously - that's a must-have nowadays. But what about the story, which is the core of the film? So dull, predictable and typical, that it just couldn't be more american. Everyone dies apart from the few main characters, who get some bruises and VERY dirty faces, but survive and by some miracle get together in the end. You could tell all this after seeing 1% of the film. I just don't see the excitement in that.

:(

I'm glad you liked Silver Linings Playbook though, Bjenn! I'd like to show it to everyone I know, so lovely :)
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Pawq wrote:Xarthok: What about the story?? I agree that the acting was decent (though typical for this kind of films), and visuals obviously - that's a must-have nowadays. But what about the story, which is the core of the film? So dull, predictable and typical, that it just couldn't be more american. Everyone dies apart from the few main characters, who get some bruises and VERY dirty faces, but survive and by some miracle get together in the end. You could tell all this after seeing 1% of the film. I just don't see the excitement in that.
I'm not criticising now, I'm just sharing my view on why The Impossible can be liked despite what you said. The title says a lot, "The Impossible". Yes, many people died but the mains do not, no matter how shitty their situation was. In the back of our heads we know this story is based on a real family's experiences and that gives us hope when our own lives are a mess. It's also a reminder of how much the people around us (read "family") means to us. The movie also shows the great sides of humanity, like helping each other out and when disaster strikes unite. These universal themes speak directly to us and are positive which creates a feel-good mood. I personally recall the movie to be a bit over sentimental though.

Spring Breakers - 5/10
Pretty cool at times. The music, the camera work, the lighting and some cool scenes in general. Too bad the pacing is max slow, the dialogue bad, the editing annoyingly non-linear (felt pretty experimental) and the plot not that likely. No extra points for all the topless boobs.
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

John wrote:In the back of our heads we know this story is based on a real family's experiences and that gives us hope when our own lives are a mess. It's also a reminder of how much the people around us (read "family") means to us. The movie also shows the great sides of humanity, like helping each other out and when disaster strikes unite. These universal themes speak directly to us and are positive which creates a feel-good mood.
I agree that looking from this perspective changes a lot. I guess you're lucky that you're able to look at this way. For me this film doesn't convey almost any emotions :/ Unlike for example Silver Linings Playbook, which I just have to mention again, whose emphasised happy ending is one of the best things that happened to me :D
John wrote:Spring Breakers - 5/10
Pretty cool at times. The music, the camera work, the lighting and some cool scenes in general. (...) No extra points for all the topless boobs.
+1...

On a side note, I've just had a reflection that's maybe natural, but satisfying nevertheless.
Some years ago by far the most exciting thing on lauta was Replays and Times section. I loved watching newly shared replays, sharing (and admiring) times, etc. At that time I couldn't comprehend how come Non-Elma Related Discussion was the most popular section, why would anyone care about that?
These days a vast majority of my posts land right here. With some contribution to the General section and occasionally Replays and Times, my favourite topics are IMDB votelist, GTM, progheads etc. - topics where discussions take place that are completely separate from the game and that involve our other hobbies and interests. For me this does not really indicate my decreasing interest in elma as a game (I still (used to) play daily (until by pc died)), but rather an evolution of my involvement in the community, into more serious and perhaps more mature.
I certainly hope that my presence here will not become a rarity anytime soon and that I will remain on the current track :)
Also, I sincerely hope that I'm not an annoyance to the community anymore! :)
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Dredd (2012) - 7/10
Cool effects, very violent and many blood scenes.
Lousku
Kuski

Post by Lousku »

a history of violence - 4/10

Seemed like that was just terrible crap on script. All teh cliche plot twists predictable way ahead. But execution was partly nice, so it's a generous four.
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Moon (2009) - 7.5/10

Quite tragical story about an astronaut on the moon. But I enjoyed it.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Seven Psychopaths - Seven/Ten Psychopaths
Finding Forrester - 7/10

Screenwriting / writing theme tonight.
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

The Machinist (2004) 5/10
A real mindfuck movie, I didn't quite like it, never got a grip on it.
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Super Size Me - 4/10
Not that interesting to me :(

Monsters University - 7/10
A few good laughs and a solid Pixarish story but nothing new. The short film The Blue Umbrella prior to the movie felt like a too long coffee commercial ;(
Thundr-
37mins club

Post by Thundr- »

Trance (2013) 7/10
mindfuck movie about hypnotherapy, was a bit confusing but tolerable and enjoying
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Thundr- wrote:Trance (2013) 7/10
mindfuck movie about hypnotherapy, was a bit confusing but tolerable and enjoying
I saw this in cinema in Hong Kong long time ago =)
I would give it 8/10!
Bjenn
35mins club

Post by Bjenn »

Final Destination (2000) - 7/10
Final Destination 2 (2003) - 6/10
Very funny to watch when they die so silly deaths =)
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

Bjenn wrote:Final Destination (2000) - 7/10
Final Destination 2 (2003) - 6/10
Very funny to watch when they die so silly deaths =)

I'm itching to slap your face with my open sweaty, smelly palm whenever you watch some movie. Let it be your chin, forehead or even nose, with some fingers painfully entering your eye. SLAP!
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

Jaws - 7/10
Yep, it's the first time I see it. Pretty cool how the two halves are almost two different genres. First half had too many stupid characters that kept annoying me, the way they behaved/acted. The effects has aged pretty well, it looks better than many movies of today. Overall a nice 2 hours spent.