People need to stop writing irrelevant posts with zero value

Discuss, argue, whine, talk but not about Elma.

Moderator: Moporators

Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Re: People need to stop writing irrelevant posts with zero v

Post by Grace »

Bjenn wrote:I didn't know I wrote irrelevant posts, I'm sorry then. If you mean those against pawq/tigro, is because I hate getting attacked like that for no reason and I just can't let it pass =)
They know it, is why they do it. They bad persons.
Your posts are pretty much all relevant. This is more targetted to twipley and Tigro.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

Bjenn wrote:I didn't know I wrote irrelevant posts, I'm sorry then. If you mean those against pawq/tigro, is because I hate getting attacked like that for no reason and I just can't let it pass =)
They know it, is why they do it. They bad persons.
Yes this was what I had in mind. Maybe you are a good poster otherwise =)
< roopemies> horror and frustrating and can't play, sounds just like you
Beer battle winner 2014 and 2015
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Memphis wrote:This whole topic seems like an excuse for people to write more useless posts....
Q.E.D.
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

Ville_J wrote:
Igge wrote:All tj posts.
I think you might be mixing up things in here, teajay's posts are not irrelevant. Actually some of his posts are very informative I think. If posts are boring it's ok, there are millions of things that are boring and uninteresting. This is a topic of informativeness,
What is the value of post where he tells world that he just woke up or what is the point of constantly talking about his quitting plans?
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Chris wrote:
Ville_J wrote:
I think you might be mixing up things in here, teajay's posts are not irrelevant. Actually some of his posts are very informative I think. If posts are boring it's ok, there are millions of things that are boring and uninteresting. This is a topic of informativeness,
What is the value of post where he tells world that he just woke up or what is the point of constantly talking about his quitting plans?
Those wake up -posts were posted on his own topic which is all about that subject. If you don't care about the subject that's another thing. I'm not trying to stop people talking about boring things on the topics they belong. But yes, everyone has made bad posts.
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

Madness wrote:
Tigro wrote:i don´t spam at all, all others do
i can´t remember saying something like this.
Ville_J wrote:This is a forum, not a fucking irc chat.
i agree, as well as i do not usually use irc, i communicate on forum much more than it is really needed. sorry for that, i will write more on irc and less here then.
Chris
Kuski

Post by Chris »

Ville_J wrote:
Chris wrote:
Ville_J wrote:
Those wake up -posts were posted on his own topic which is all about that subject. If you don't care about the subject that's another thing. I'm not trying to stop people talking about boring things on the topics they belong. But yes, everyone has made bad posts.
Who are you to decide what is relevant or not? Why do you arbitrary judge other members? If you have an issue, just add foe to certain forum member, report posts. You can try joining moderating team, but so far this forum doesn't belong to you and you are not being nice right now.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

Sorry I don't understand, maybe you really missed what this topic is about.
Chris
Kuski

Post by Chris »

Ville_J wrote:Sorry I don't understand, maybe you really missed what this topic is about.
What did I miss? This topic is rant, nothing more.

Ok I understand that you may have some issues, but people won't stop doing things that you find "fucking annoying". This is all your personal opinion, what you find offtopic, can be relevant to other person.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Calm down. There's nothing wrong with sharing your personal opinion.
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

This topic is not a rant and I don't have issues, at least not in such negative manner as you seem to think judging by your posts. I'll try, once more, to make my point.

Teajay created a topic, which was about getting up at 7am. In the opening post he told he was going to post there every morning to prove he's awake and invited others to join. So what would you expect to find from that topic, wr replays? Is the topic interesting? Not to me, and that's why I never read it. Same applies to Formula 1 topic. This topic is not about boring or retarded topics. I'm not judging topics or ideas that people want to discuss.

When there is a topic which I am interested in, I read it. I expect to find discussion about the subject, not personal attacks or nonsense "hi" posts or whatever. If you think it's ok, then it is your opinion. And this topic is indeed mine, but I'm not alone. I didn't say I'm going to turn into a Hitler if people won't change their posting habits. I read many other forums where the moderators are more strict about the posts, maybe that's where I've learned what discussion forums can be at their best. Then there are also many others where the standard is much lower. But Mopolauta happens to be one of the most important ones.
Chris
Kuski

Post by Chris »

Ville_J wrote:This topic is not a rant and I don't have issues, at least not in such negative manner as you seem to think judging by your posts. I'll try, once more, to make my point.

Teajay created a topic, which was about getting up at 7am. In the opening post he told he was going to post there every morning to prove he's awake and invited others to join. So what would you expect to find from that topic, wr replays? Is the topic interesting? Not to me, and that's why I never read it. Same applies to Formula 1 topic. This topic is not about boring or retarded topics. I'm not judging topics or ideas that people want to discuss.

When there is a topic which I am interested in, I read it. I expect to find discussion about the subject, not personal attacks or nonsense "hi" posts or whatever. If you think it's ok, then it is your opinion. And this topic is indeed mine, but I'm not alone. I didn't say I'm going to turn into a Hitler if people won't change their posting habits. I read many other forums where the moderators are more strict about the posts, maybe that's where I've learned what discussion forums can be at their best. Then there are also many others where the standard is much lower. But Mopolauta happens to be one of the most important ones.
Fair enough. Lets end our argument here.
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

What annoys me is when someone responds to the previous post and quotes the whole fuck. WTF?
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

well sometimes is good because of new page
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Igge wrote:Look at AKB. Few posts, but all are spam. You can make many posts and still not be considered a spammer as long as they are insightful and relevant and don't feel forced.
Oops, I forgot to respond.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

A.K.B. wrote:
Igge wrote:Look at AKB. Few posts, but all are spam. You can make many posts and still not be considered a spammer as long as they are insightful and relevant and don't feel forced.
Oops, I forgot to respond.
Brilliant, with line spacing and all. On another note, I hate how Lousku totally ignored my rant. I had the wish that he would misinterpret my sarcasm and irony and wit, but he's too damn smart. :(

Ville, you are right that there could be a lot more sensible discussion around here. But the fact is that people take their relevance somewhere else and leave their shameful dumps of shit just here, because the threshold is so low, but it still is better read than the stuff on IRC. Negative attention also counts as attention. And I am not any millimeter better than the people described here, although I sometimes do my best to gather some scraps of positive energy.
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Although not attributed to him, when Pawq joined this forum the tone of discussion changed here (people began to flame him for posting many relevant posts and everyone just generally began to post crap) - then Xratio, Scruffy, berh, AKB, etc happened and now the only salvation in this forum is the occasional new topic, and some of the actual elma forums. :P
Image Cyberscore! Image
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

I was here before Pawq. Because he was big poo.
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

Actually all of those you mentioned were here before me ;)
sure, blame me for all the spam in the world
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

I don't see how he's blaming you. He expressed his case in a quite neutral and settle way. He even starts the god damn post by "Although not attributed to him..." o,o
That said, pawq spamming period was the most annoying of the ones I've experienced and quite easily. Good thing it's long gone now though :P
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

A.K.B. wrote:I was here before Pawq. Because he was big poo.
Yes but you started spam after paw q join.
Image Cyberscore! Image
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I think this discussion can end right here.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Grammer plase.
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

People just needs to learn to let the little things go every once in a while o,oo,o,o,o
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Toadaly agree. I was axualy thinking of saying just that.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

*axxually
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

[quote="Lousku in "weak moderating""]The problem with this forum software is the lack of post ratings. No, it's not a real problem when there are no mongos among the users, but there are plenty of mongos here, such as myself. If we had a karma system, most users wouldn't want to post anything useless in the fear of downvotes. It would also encourage people to post more insightful, useful and witty posts in the hope of upvotes. If someone would receive too many downvotes, they could get some sort of warning or ban, I don't know.

Right now we have an everlasting postcount contest. Showing post count under everyone's nick may serve a good purpose in theory (more posts = more experience = probably a good post?) but in practice it simply encourages spam.

I know spam hasn't really been a problem lately, but it comes and goes.[/quote]I'd like to revisit this post I wrote almost 2 years ago. I think someone on IRC said karma is not a good idea because it results in karmawhoring and stupid forced jokes everywhere, but that only applies in big communities.

I think the line of low-moderation quality is around 500 active members, and here we have maybe 100 on a good month (correct me if that figure is far off, hard to make a guess). Generally communities that have a specific subject have potential. Looking at reddit (has a karma system), we can see 3 types of subreddits:
- First type, the huge subreddits with low moderation. It's obviously hard to effectively moderate a community of millions, so these are flooded with reposts, karmawhoring and forced jokes. Not fun. Example: /r/funny practically has no subject at all, so it sucks.
- Second type, the big subreddits with high moderation. These are usually serious communities with a specific topic. They work simply because of the big effort put into moderation. Example: /r/askscience manages just well with 655.000 members.
- Third type, small subreddits with low moderation. These work because it's easy to moderate small groups, and because when the subject is specific, most members will agree with a general standard of quality and vote the crap down. Example: /r/Finland has a couple thousand members, but content is still always on topic.

Lately there has been a lot of spam, so what do you think? Yes, I realize it would be a huge step and lots of work to update the current software or transfer to another one, but... just maybe?

EDIT: I realized another problem with this idea: bullying. There's a fair amount of bullying in our community, but a karma system might just make it more obviously evil and result in less of it.
Last edited by Lousku on 13 Dec 2012, 18:15, edited 2 times in total.
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
Tigro
Kuski

Post by Tigro »

mopolauta forum type doesn´t provide any sort of karma system?
i like lous idea.
Lousku
Kuski
Team: BAP

Post by Lousku »

Tigro wrote:mopolauta forum type doesn´t provide any sort of karma system?
i like lous idea.
I found this: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... 0&t=559069
then again i don't know anything
maybe easier not to think abouut alöl things thought than not things thought ... or something..=?
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

That is actually quite an interesting idea and it could work. I'm sure some people would use it wrong way, give negative points to posts they don't agree with or unlike. But maybe more people would give negatives to really really shit posts, and positive to informative ones. Quick googling told me that there is some karma mod for phpbb at least. But who's up for upgrading, I don't know. I wouldn't hold my breath. But I give this suggestion +1.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Interesting idea Lousku!

Lousku = downvoted.
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

Baned goofu for two weeks. Had no right to post to ban list -topic so I picked this
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
culinko
38mins club

Post by culinko »

two weeks is nothing. 2 years should do. or even 2 decades. thank you.

edit: could you please also delete some of his posts? it's really irritating to browse elma related topics and there is his half-a-page-nonsense from him.