Elma compo rules

Before starting a new topic read Moposite's Help and earlier topics. Note: this forum is for Elma problems, not Moposite.

Moderator: Moporators

n00b_saibot
Kuski

Elma compo rules

Post by n00b_saibot »

I'm supposed to organize an Elma competition in one LAN Party. Though I've played Across and Elma for many years, I haven't organized any competitions yet so I'd be glad to get some advice concerning the rules of a good Elma competition. For example: how many levels, attempts in one level, should players be able to train the levels before the compo etc.

Thanks beforehand!
onlainari
Kuski

Post by onlainari »

i have no experience on that stuff,but i would hold normal battles at least,and then those special battles they use to do in LANS. '

in normal battle you´send your unpublished level ´to all contestants simulatenously and they try make a best time in next 30minutes. ...

thopse special battles are mostly to these good old players,for instance,everyone plays with weird buttons like left is right and right is left...etc
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

Well if you have many computers available I suggest having a regular battle kind of compos. Everyone can create one or two levels, or if they don't know how, you can do that, battle levels aren't supposed to be nice looking, more importantly they should be decently short and not too annoying to play. The kind of level you will finish at least five times even if you aren't that good.

After the levels are ready, you shouldn't play them at all before the actual battle begins. No training. Lenght is usually around 15-30 minutes, mostly 20 I think. Then when the time rans out, best time wins (oooh??) Someone can take time with digital watch or mobile phone etc. Everyone plays at the same time, and usually shouts their time when they get one, it's more interesting to know them in my opinion rather than shouting some good time at the last seconds. Battle ends, play next. :)

That's pretty much how we played in finnish elma meeting.. and its phuunn!
n00b_saibot
Kuski

Post by n00b_saibot »

Sorry for not replying before, being busy with starting studies etc. Anyhow, there's a "little" problem when we're expecting about 150 visitors for those parties so the shouting thing might not be the best idea after all. As the parties last for four days, I thought that it might be good that we/I release the mappack when the parties start and anybody who wants can play the levels for two days or so, but then there's a problem how to collect the best times. This is where my imagination ends. If you have any good suggestions, reply here or email n1z0@sunpoint.net.
Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

Might be a bit late but:

Give levstast.exe among the levels to the players. This program prints the times to txt and counts the total time. After the competition is over just collect all those txt files and compare the times etc.

www.moposite.com/stuff_programs.php
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)