Who invented 'fast' elma??

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

sierra
39mins club

Who invented 'fast' elma??

Post by sierra »

Anyone who has begun playing Elma and Across in the last 6 or so years has probably learned the idea of playing Elma quickly from websites and replay sharing. But who were the first guys to realize that volting off surfaces gave you speed? And that you could build up rotation and get even faster pushes? And that you could bounce, and do brutal volts, and that pipes could be driven, and all kinds of the subtle manouevres and tricks that we use nowadays to get clean rides.

We newcomers take for granted that this knowledge was around before our time. But we never consider that at some point in time this knowledge did not exist.

Who were the first people to aim to drive cleanly? When you give Elma to a noob, without showing him professional recs, he will just screw around and take forever to finish the level. Even those noobs who have completed the game will ask you "Why would I want to play a level after I've finished it??". So who were the first guys to compete for times on Elma levels, who were the founding fathers of the game as we know it today?
[OMG] | [SpEF] | Apparently my TT was once 39:26:06
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

I'd like to add, I'm disappointed that not enough emphasis and praise is put on these guys, if they exist. The guys from very, very, far back, the guys who even Abula only vaguely remembers or perhaps doesn't remember at all, they are the ones who gave birth to our scene and I'm sure it would cause them a lot of dissatisfaction to learn that their legacy went by unnoticed.
[OMG] | [SpEF] | Apparently my TT was once 39:26:06
Dynamo
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by Dynamo »

I remember reading the story of when Abula begun elma...in a team with Tuska, Markku, and...was it Tisk?...neways I can't remember, he knows the story better I suppose XD
Total Time: 38:35,14
simon_labroue

Post by simon_labroue »

was it FM? http://www.moposite.com/fm/tales.php
anyway sierra should write articles more often 8)
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

i started only 5 years ago:/
[carebox]
Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

i remember doing long haul shortcut in across (drop off from left, jump for the 2 apples), but that was copied from juzam and he had copied it from big bro who had copied it from some rec. so who made those first recs i donno.

long haul shortcut was fakin hard btw :wink:
Luther
37mins club
Team: ICE

Post by Luther »

sry svein, off topic:

Sierra, I suggest you become a Mopolauta News writer =)
Nekit for president
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

I think many people 'invented' driving for best times. Like if one guy finds the game, he tell his friend about it and he play too. Then those two could start playing for best times in some of the first internals without knowing about the scene and such.
simon_labroue

Post by simon_labroue »

Intelligent beings are capable of independently inventing styles; whether the styles they drive were existing or new, that depends on the period of history they did so.
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

sounds like you have heard of me!
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

Everything that has a timecounter and that is played by more than 1 person who have contact with each other will sooner or later be "höyled", so i dont think we need to credit the inventors of fast elma so much :X
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
simon_labroue

Post by simon_labroue »

that competition factor is true.
but the question is not if we need to trace that back, but if we can.
Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

There are old Across WR tables around. Some of the guys are mentioned in Community history which I'm going to upgraded someday soon.

I really like the idea of giving credits of these kind of things but it's not too easy to know who did what and when. Why not starting to make a database and gathering information of these?

In 98-99 I played hej levels where many special tricks were needed to finish the levels. Does anyone else remember? The designer had included sample replays in the pack and they were cool like hell.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
simon_labroue

Post by simon_labroue »

I wasn't even born at that time :P (elma-born, I should mean)
Orcc
Moporator
Team: IS

Post by Orcc »

I remember HEJ levs. I also recall there was a record page for every level in the level packs on the official page. I used to have some records there. Anyone else remember that?
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"