How much does a different screen affect tune?

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Ramone
50mins club

How much does a different screen affect tune?

Post by Ramone »

Hi, I got a new screen. I always had an old fat one from about 98. Finally got a flat one. Altough, it fucked up elma totally, is it just my mind? The bike is as stiff as iron. I get no grip when pressing right or left in uphill or flat to get frontwheel down. If I brake to get frontwheel down it doesnt do is smooth as normally (it does it as Ive seen in a few recs of others) brakes so hard (=takes away my sweet speed) and then bam! Wheel hits ground hard as hell.

Is this real?

(Also flat screen takes away smooth turns... and somehow loooks like looking trough a fire when I play elma... it has some fucking autoadjust thingie every time I change resolution so when I start elma it changes automaticly... and cant do it fucking right... cuts off like 0,5 cm in every corner... when is this... 95? anyway... this is not tune related... and I guess you can learn to live with that)

I think I can learn to live with new tune... I´ve done it before... but this is JUST a different screen... it affects more than when I changed to XP from win 98. So please; share you experiences... I am curious..

PS. I think my screen is not too good... still analog connections and stuff... V7 its called....

/ramone
Elasto Mania - ez better
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

There's much difference with flat screen/analog screen. I personally would prefer having the analog screen, but I happen to have flat screen.

With an analog, elma looks like it has depth, and not so digital or animated-like.

Too bad, ramone. :?
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

i just got new flat, much better than my old one, which was nat flat. Or maybe i like this one better cause i like the wide screen? dunno. poo
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

totally agree with ramone here

i was so shocked when i tried elma with flat screen few months (maybe a year or two) ago. Immediatly got back to old win98 analog screen. few, that felt much better!

Indeed, the bike seemed to have way less grip on polygons. It also seemed heavier. Didn't like the feeling at all...
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

I don't recall any chance at all when I changed to flat screen.

Flat screens usually uses lower refresh rates, isn't it just that, that does it?
Thundr
38mins club

Post by Thundr »

Check your fps with both screens. If it lowers with your flat screen.. Well, bad luck I suppose :/
Enduro
Scruffy the janitor
Kuski

Post by Scruffy the janitor »

Kopaka wrote:I don't recall any chance at all when I changed to flat screen.

Flat screens usually uses lower refresh rates, isn't it just that, that does it?
yes, nothing more. no effect if you use vsync off, some 10-20fps difference if use vsync on, anyway different screen affects basicly this much to elma: nothing
Now hold on, Iron Joe...
wjelo
Kuski

Post by wjelo »

Scruffy the janitor wrote:

yes, nothing more. no effect if you use vsync off, some 10-20fps difference if use vsync on, anyway different screen affects basicly this much to elma: nothing
bullshit, vsync is on as default so let's say someone played in 640x480@120 so far and now switched to some shitty 60hz or whatever lcd- ez feels the difference. for example in animal farm teh rooster feels different even in 100fps and 120fps
not mentioning the blur and other shit connected with not-the-newest lcd screens
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

Scruffy the janitor wrote:

if you don´t see difference with Vsync off maybe you should get this:
Eyes.
Elasto Mania - ez better
Scruffy the janitor
Kuski

the question was does it affect tune. the answer is still: no, unless you have vsync on and new screen has different refresh rate than old one.
Now hold on, Iron Joe...
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

I always use disabled Vsync and the difference is major.
Elasto Mania - ez better
Scruffy the janitor
Kuski

u are delusional
Now hold on, Iron Joe...
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

u are this: smapper
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

A.K.B. wrote:u are this: smapper
You are this: Hypocrite
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
jonsterion
Kuski

Post by jonsterion »

with a normal TFT usually u get 60-75 hz, which means you'll never go above 60-75 fps with vsync ON. With a CRT you can go to 100 hz - 150 hz easily, meaning alot more fps. But with vsync OFF, of course, you can get more than that. You can still get about 200-500 fps with your TFT with vsync OFF. But you'll never get the same refresh rate as you had with your old CRT if you have about 8ms of delay.
belele
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

I was thinking of buying a new LCD/TFT screen and I was reading the response times (gray to gray). Some screens has 8 ms, some 6 ms, some 5 ms and some even 2 ms. Is 5 ms enough for elma playing? What kind of screens do you have?
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
Antz
Donator
Team: Quack

Post by Antz »

i bought a cheap flat monitor last summer, and while i didn't notice any difference in grip and playing, it BLURS. whenever the bike is moving all the polygon edges start to blur depending on how fast you're going. at first it made my eyes hurt but i've gotten somewhat used to it in a year and can play ok now. i thought at first it was because of the 5ms response time, but i've since played elma on other 5ms lcd monitors and there's no such blur. also the contrast is really crap and i regret buying the cheapest possible, go figure :P..
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Yes, the blur, I think it's pretty much the same with every flat monitor. It's the same when watching TV on flat screens, they just suck. Nothing beats true elektrons blasting on the bulb (yet).