Kuski vs levmaker?

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Bogart
Kuski

Kuski vs levmaker?

Post by Bogart »

Please tell me your thougts about a real good kuski and also about a great levelmaker.

Who gets the most of your respect?

Who do you like the most?

My thougts are like "A good kuski can help me improve skill by showing already invented styles" and "a good levmaker can help me find styles of my own etc. and help me improve my style-inventing skill".

Both of them are needed cuz how fun is it to play same levs all the time and someone has to play them right? Who gets the biggest part in your heart? :roll: The kuski, or the levmaker?

Ps. Maybe a meaningless thread but please share... Ds.
Napoleon
Kuski

Post by Napoleon »

i'd say jaytea
Bogart
Kuski

Post by Bogart »

Maybe my message didn´t reach out correctly.

I don´t mean a specific person, just the terms kuski and levmaker.
berhabdul
Banned

Post by berhabdul »

Both of them are important. Hmm. Of course it is believed that great Kuski has got better respect. I guess it is similar to life, sport. Great runner has better respect than even greater chess player :)
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

berhabdul wrote:Both of them are important. Hmm. Of course it is believed that great Kuski has got better respect. I guess it is similar to life, sport. Great runner has better respect than even greater chess player :)
That comparision is a very bad one, because the runner is more respected because running is more popular that playing chess, but do you relly think watching good replays is more popular than playing good levels?

I think good players get more respect that good levelmakers because they have more ways to get attention, like good players can take wrs and win battles and thoose things all the times. While good level makers makes a good levelpack maybe once a year? Even more seldom if we count the really good ones.

But if good levelmakers released a good levelpack just as often as good players did wrs, would they be just as apreciated? I think not, cause good levelpacks is played much more than you spend time watching a good replay, that means that some good levelmaker can make a good levelpack and get some fame that is spread out over months or even years. While a good replay wins a battle and gets praised for a couple of mins or get a new wr and gets praised for a couple of days and then after that they make it again etc so they get more and more fame all the time for all the new achievments that builds upon itself all the time. But good levelpacks cant be released to often because it wouldnt be so special then and not many would play the levels and therefor they cant refill their fame as often.

If i am lucky this post was logical enough to be read....
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
berhabdul
Banned

Post by berhabdul »

So player or levmaker?

But let's start from the beginning. Good playing needs hard work and plenty of hours spent gaining experience. So does levmaking, but not at all. To be a good levmaker you have to be talented, something like an artist, e.g. Juble, Zebra and others. So it's hard to be a good levmaker only by training with making levels all the time. You had to be a bit lucky to be born with it. Of course, skills are to be born with too, but if one plays very much and watches a lot of replays, they can achieve some good TT and skills. Anyway, let's imagine community without good levmakers? Would we have Target Times 1.3 now, or still 1.1? These kind of artists are indispensable to make our skills improved. Their levels, new and playable ones help us improve our Elma abilities. I am even doubtful that we would have that many players in our community if there weren't those few really good levmakers. Even cruising is important, if you play random level and it's a crap, you simply resign, but if you come across some nice level you play / cruise it and get your skills better. Same with battles.

All in all, as my previous comparison wasn't good enough, maybe another one.

Let's imagine FC Barcelona. Kuskis are football players, Levmakers are managers, trainers and psychologists.
Bogart
Kuski

Post by Bogart »

berhabdul wrote:Let's imagine FC Barcelona. Kuskis are football players, Levmakers are managers, trainers and psychologists.
That is a suiting comparison. I think that the levelmakers are our guides to knowing new styles and so on.

Why this topic? Well, I want to be a good levelmaker. Sometimes I make a great level (IMO), in a relative short time. And other times I work with a level for hours, but it still sucks. Maybe I´m not talented, but I think there is another factor also. I´m not very experienced. A wise man said (or woman and I don´t know where i got it from) something like "to be a good levelmaker you have to know the possible styles that can be done". And I think that you got some skills in playing, if you are a good levmaker.

Ps. anyone has a better word for levelmaker, sux word! Ds.
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

Bogart wrote:Ps. anyone has a better word for levelmaker, sux word! Ds.
Designer 8)
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
insane guy
Kuski

Post by insane guy »

I say: Maker
"Every night, me go to sleep, me have wet dream..."
wjelo
Kuski

Post by wjelo »

imo players are both better known and more respected (e.g. KOM polls results and ppl nominated). levmakers are also needed though because without them there won't be any contests, balles etc and elma would be quite boring
berhabdul wrote:So does levmaking, but not at all.
max english skiallz xD most berh post make quite no sence ;/ spammer
A beer a day keeps the doct0r away.
last.fm profile
Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

insane guy wrote:I say: Maker
I've decided to use:
- Playing as driving the bike
- Designing as making levels
- Creating as making LGRs

Level designer, Player/Kuski/Driver, Creator

Maybe stupid but that's way I go.
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
jonsterion
Kuski

Post by jonsterion »

Levmakers have my respect above every1. If there wouldn´t have been oldschool designers the scene would be restricted to internals. Plus, there are alot more players than makers and getting a good TT isn´t much of an inovation... (only if you are very close to #1 and/or broke a TT limit)
belele