Mastercup2 feedback

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Mastercup2 feedback

Post by zebra »

For better future, I would like to ask some questions about the mastercup2 and all cups overall. You don't have to answer to all/any of the questions, pick some if you like. I'm not asking this (only) for mastercup3, other cup arrangers could use this information too. Thanks for your answers in advance.

1. Amount of events: In mc1 it was 15, mc2 it was 12. Is 12 a good amount or should it be more/less? Or is it necessary to know the amount of levels in the beginning of the cup?

2. Length of levels: I admit there was pretty much long levs in mc2. Were they too long?

3. Difficulty of levels: Were the levs too hard/easy?

4. Comments of gmail: As you may know, there were some problems related with lost e-mails. Do you think that a 'auto rec uploader' system (like the one in skint0r's site) would make the cup much better?

5. Skipping system: Good/bad? Was the ratio (play 10 levs of 12) good?

6. Limit recs: Public or not? In the beginning of the cup I released them in irc but after I published one of my recs I got bad feedback and decided not to reveal any of the limit recs. Are limits needed overall?

7. Lenght of events: Shortest was 5 days, average ~7 days, longest 14 days.

8. Interviews: There are still some lazy ppl (axxu*3, Karlis*2, dz, J-sim*2, SickMambo) who hasn't written their interviews and it seems to be arduous for them. On the other hand, some of ppl are very eager to write them. Should there be some reward (10 points for example) if you write an interview?

9. Jonsta's videos: At least I liked the trailer, and there should be coming more :)

10. Top rec pack: In top rec packs there were 10 best ppl, some interesting styles and usually the worst rec.

11. Points: The points are given like 1st - 100 points, 2nd - 85 points, 50th - 1 point. Good/bad? Should there be maybe more points from longer events? What about extra points if found a secret area?

12. Team points: At the moment teams points are calculated by adding each team's 3 best scores in each event. Do you think it's the best way?

13. Cup teams: Good or bad? (well, we can't deny it)

14. National points: Would they be needed? At the moment mergestats doesn't support them.

15. What kind of levels you would like to see in cups? Rollercoasters? Pipes? Apple Harvests? Bounce levs? Gravity? Hang? Headbanger? Höylä? Internalish/Internals? Jumps? Killers? Many flowers? Old (from some other cup for example)? Shortcuts? Spirals? Trials? Tricky levs? IQ tests?

16. What do you think of battle events (1 hour playing time or something)?

17. Are pictures/grass needed in cup levs?

18. Deadlines/breaks: Do you think there should be some kind of breaks between the events? Like a day or two in the middle of the cup? What about the time of day of deadlines? Now they were at 18.00 EET.

19. Time of year of the cup: Winter? Summer?

20. Advertising: Mopolauta/moposite/elastomaniac/elmasite/irc/...?

21. The 'cup' thing: Normally cup means that in each event someone is knocked out (more like TAP Challenge was). Still we call this a cup. Is that a problem?

22. Irc: Those who are idling in irc usually get benefit from that. Is that a problem?

23. Level sending: Is level sending necessary? Your time can be detected from rec with 0.02 accuracy.

24. Different kind of cups: Which is your favourite? Master Cup, Daisy Cup, Mopokup, TAP Challenge, Pipe cup, Kahvi cup, World cup, Kon quest, ...(i don't remember them all)?

25. New ideas: Maybe some special events? Multiple events going on same time? Multiplayer cups? Levels where only your average matters?

26. Prizes: In mc1 top 3 got a diploma. Is this a good prize or should there be something else? Trophys? Money?

27. General feedback:
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

I didnt read through all questions or even gonna try to answer more then one or something, but i think that everyone that has ever played a cup notices there is about a third as many competitors at the end as in the beginning, so i dont think you should go over 12, maybe even only have 8 events or something. And the skipping system was good apart from the fact that you might have done better if you skipped another event.
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
Lukazz
36mins club

Re: Mastercup2 feedback

Post by Lukazz »

1. Amount of events: In mc1 it was 15, mc2 it was 12. Is 12 a good amount or should it be more/less? Or is it necessary to know the amount of levels in the beginning of the cup?
12 was better!

2. Length of levels: I admit there was pretty much long levs in mc2. Were they too long?
the saturn level was too long, all the others were ok

no perfectly, there were always some easier styles for the not-so-good-players and some super pro styles

4. Comments of gmail: As you may know, there were some problems related with lost e-mails. Do you think that a 'auto rec uploader' system (like the one in skint0r's site) would make the cup much better?
really doesn't make any difference for me, sending a mail takes me 2 minutes, that's nothing compared to the hours i played the level

good for the players who don't like pipes/apple harvests etc. pls do this again in MC3 ;)

6. Limit recs: Public or not? In the beginning of the cup I released them in irc but after I published one of my recs I got bad feedback and decided not to reveal any of the limit recs. Are limits needed overall?
not public

14 days was too long, others were ok

8. Interviews: There are still some lazy ppl (axxu*3, Karlis*2, dz, J-sim*2, SickMambo) who hasn't written their interviews and it seems to be arduous for them. On the other hand, some of ppl are very eager to write them. Should there be some reward (10 points for example) if you write an interview?
i liked reading the interviews, what about banning the ppl who don't write interviews after 1 week :P?

9. Jonsta's videos: At least I liked the trailer, and there should be coming more :)
don't care

10. Top rec pack: In top rec packs there were 10 best ppl, some interesting styles and usually the worst rec.
i looked at all recs, so this was cool idea

11. Points: The points are given like 1st - 100 points, 2nd - 85 points, 50th - 1 point. Good/bad? Should there be maybe more points from longer events? What about extra points if found a secret area?
secret area finding points are stupid, i think pointing system should always be the same.

12. Team points: At the moment teams points are calculated by adding each team's 3 best scores in each event. Do you think it's the best way?
was very nice too

bad, very bad, it's unfair

14. National points: Would they be needed? At the moment mergestats doesn't support them.
don't care

15. What kind of levels you would like to see in cups? Rollercoasters? Pipes? Apple Harvests? Bounce levs? Gravity? Hang? Headbanger? Höylä? Internalish/Internals? Jumps? Killers? Many flowers? Old (from some other cup for example)? Shortcuts? Spirals? Trials? Tricky levs? IQ tests?
there could've been more styles in some levels, so i guess my answer is "shortcuts"

not very good for the people in canada, australia and so on.

play with default ground sky and low quality so: no

18. Deadlines/breaks: Do you think there should be some kind of breaks between the events? Like a day or two in the middle of the cup? What about the time of day of deadlines? Now they were at 18.00 EET.
no, i like the way it was

Winter, i have better things to do in summer.

lauta

21. The 'cup' thing: Normally cup means that in each event someone is knocked out (more like TAP Challenge was). Still we call this a cup. Is that a problem?
no

22. Irc: Those who are idling in irc usually get benefit from that. Is that a problem?
don't understand the question, how are they getting benefit?

23. Level sending: Is level sending necessary? Your time can be detected from rec with 0.02 accuracy.
i think that's better for cheat protecting or not?

24. Different kind of cups: Which is your favourite? Master Cup, Daisy Cup, Mopokup, TAP Challenge, Pipe cup, Kahvi cup, World cup, Kon quest, ...(i don't remember them all)?
tap challenge wasn't long fun for me because i got kicked after 2nd round, so i have to say world cup and mopokup (i'm not so good at pipes, don't like total time cups and didn't play kahvi cup and kon quest)

25. New ideas: Maybe some special events? Multiple events going on same time? Multiplayer cups? Levels where only your average matters?
no, pls don't do that!!!

26. Prizes: In mc1 top 3 got a diploma. Is this a good prize or should there be something else? Trophys? Money?
diplomas are cool, money-prizes would destroy the fun somehow.

27. General feedback:[/quote]
best cup ever, even better levels than world cup ;)
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

1. I wouldn't know.

2. Those longer levels I liked better. Skipping those would be bad.

3. They were okay, maybe a bit easy, but okay.

4. Certainly.

5. 2, maybe 3 out of 12 even. It is a good system.

6. It was foolish to upload those limit recs, they contained some good styles even. I think time limits suck btw.

7. OK

8. Reward yes, but only 1 or 2 points.

9. Can't remember the exact content of it, but it was a nice idea at least.

10. -

11. Extra points, I always like those :p

12. Is there any other proper way?

13. No difference with normal teams, right?

14. Not neccesary really. We all know the outcome.

15. Apple Harvests, tricky levels, jumps.

16. Not my cup of tea really.

17. Some.

18. The deadline time was perfect. Thumbs up for usually quick results aswell.

19. That I don't know.

20. It's a good thing that you advertised the cup at lauta and moposite news. The more, the better.

21. Not at all.

22. -

23. Truly. We've seen what it leads to without much control.

24. I like any kind of contest with competition and nice levels.

25. I am willing to participate in cups with some experimenting, but it shouldn't be the main focus of a cup to experiment with new ideas.

26. Sounds great, diplomas. Money is just money. You can hang it on the wall really, but most likely you'll end up spending it.

27. I would like to put the emphasis on these key words that I regarded positively; skipping of some events, proper & quick results, quality levels.
Costya
Kuski

Post by Costya »

it will be feedback from observer =) becouse i'm too lazy to participate in cups.
zebra wrote: 6. Limit recs: Public or not? In the beginning of the cup I released them in irc but after I published one of my recs I got bad feedback and decided not to reveal any of the limit recs. Are limits needed overall?
public recs by levelmakers - it's revilling styles or some tricks. but styles and tricks must find players. that's why i think "no, of course".
for me it were iritating to watch 10 equal recs =/
inevitability =). by all means teams will be (shadow or real)
depends on champ: goals of champ and its kind.
when designer ask comunity how he must design his own levs, I'm starting think that this designer make onle few levs =)
sending levs - defense from cheating when one good player may send in instead noobs in his team. it's
DaisyCup pwnz =). btw dc3 coming soon =)
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

zebra wrote:23. Level sending: Is level sending necessary? Your time can be detected from rec with 0.02 accuracy.
I am suprised you would say something like this, time can detected with 0.001 accuracy from replay...
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

I don't really care about the length of other cups, but World Cup should have at least 15 events. There's something about staying power.. and YES, it's necessary to know the amount of levels beforehand.

Dunno, a mix is good. But best length is perhaps 50s-1min.

Dunno

Rec uploader system like in WCup5 je0

At least it was kinda interesting.

No public recs.

Okiz

No.

9. Jonsta's videos: At least I liked the trailer, and there should be coming more
Haven't seen. But I'm sure it's cool.

Fine. WCup should have top20 though.

Nah, is ok.

Maybe.

Why not?

Maybe do three best from the nation, like with team.

Whatever people wants to make. Though I wouldn't want any IQ or Tricky etc. And old levs and internals? Of course not.

Nat. Would be unfair.

Maybe some brakes could be fine. But doesn't really matter.

Doesn't matter too much, but maybe not have when most people have summer vacations. And not during Christmas and sach.

ok..

No. And noone is knocked out in the FIS WOrld Cups, for instance.

No.

Yes.

World Cup. And Elasto Mania League.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, dunno. Would need to be organized well.

Whatever the organizer wants to do.
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
zworqy
Kuski

Post by zworqy »

I wouldn't mind 14 or so levels

Yes, too long. But not by much.

The levels were generally hard, but too hard? Yeah, probably.

I didn't have any problems with this. (Except one time with the 4-day reply limit)

Very good. But not more skips, even if more events.

If there is limit times, limit recs are very good, IF DRIVEN WITH BAD STYLES.

Perfect!

People who don't write interviews should be ashamed. It's very easy ffs. I say: Disquailified in event if no interview before end of next event.

9. Jonsta's videos: At least I liked the trailer, and there should be coming
more :)

Maybe a bit braggy ;)

Very good, although I alomst never watch them.

I think that's too many points for top and too few for bottom. The amount of points is dropping too fast from 1st place.

Yes.

Bad Bad BAD. EA are the moral winners of MC2. :roll:

Not necessary I guess. But the more statistics the better :)

All sorts, except headbanger. And max 1 pipe level.

Nah.

Of course. Low details are for losers.

Better with longer events than breaks. 18.00 was good.

Anytime is good

Who cares.

Dunno. Ask milagros or something :P

Mopo Kup :P (Seriously though, I don't quite get the question.)
<Fihlvein> another case of zworqy-is-always-right closed i guess
<yoosef> zworqy doesnt suck at anything
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

I quite liked the amount- if it were more I would've been away in holidays

Of course not- the longer a level is, usually the easier it is to get a better place, and of course they weren't that hard ;D

I like the difficulty of some levels, but the first apple in event 2 was too hard for me, so I skipped it.

The auto rec uploader probably could make it better, if you are checking all the recs afterwards, it may be more convienient

I liked it, if I didn't skip Rappellers then I would've come maybe 30th. Then no 4th for me ;(

Everyone makes the limits. So NO LIMIT RECS. It is possible that someone derives a useful style that is responsible for them winning, so it's not fair.

I liked lengths

YES. But not rewards, they can't recieve their points at all if they don't write an interview.

9. Jonsta's videos: At least I liked the trailer, and there should be coming more Smile

MORE VIDEO'S! THEY ROCK!

fine

Keep as is, if you add secret areas, then it's no longer about speed, but skill, and that's what pies are for ;D

I like it because it means you can't have a MASSIVE team and win all the way, and it makes you team work harder so that THEY can be the ONE who contributed to the team points! ;)

Bad, then all the good players team up on us, and we can't win- [EA] showed them cup teams though!

Not needed, but interesting, would like to see them

Rollercoasters, Apple Harvests, Hang, Headbanger, Höylä, Internalish/Internals, Shortcuts, these are obviously the best types.

NO, I'm in Australia you fools- as If I'd be on! :roll:

yes, or lev looks like shit

Deadlines are at 2:00am for me, so fine! but maybe one day between events....

Fine this time- as long as it doesn't run any longer than this one did- I got scouts Jamboree in Elmore in a few weeks! :o

The more the merrier

Absolutely not, I prefer it this way pretty much!

I see no benifit, so no problem- but whatever they hear- we should be able to hear as well.

Elmatim0r, or else, ez lev, but no penalise, just don't count time until they send lev.

I played (and pwnd) last event of Mopokup 2, but that's all I ever competed in.

Definately multiplayer cups, then I can bring Jebus back into the scene with me (the person who let me first use elma)

Any prize is a good prize!

27. General feedback:

I think I went well, and that's mostly what mattered to me! ;D

Thanks for the max cup, and hope to see a movie produced soon!
:wink:
Last edited by A.K.B. on 4 Dec 2006, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
zebra
Kuski

Post by zebra »

Juski wrote:
zebra wrote:23. Level sending: Is level sending necessary? Your time can be detected from rec with 0.02 accuracy.
I am suprised you would say something like this, time can detected with 0.001 accuracy from replay...
Yes, the rec's time maybe but it doesn't match perfectly to the time you have in lev (which is more important, right?)
For example rec can show 23.456 but the real time (time in lev) can be something between 23.43 and 23.47.
The question is, which one is considered the 'right' time. So far it has been the time in lev.
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

zebra wrote: For example rec can show 23.456 but the real time (time in lev) can be something between 23.43 and 23.47.
The question is, which one is considered the 'right' time. So far it has been the time in lev.
You're wrong. If the rec is shown to be exactly 23,456 then the time in the lev is 23,45.
Rules | FAQ
Abula
Moposite admin
Team: FM

Post by Abula »

I didn't play, I wasn't even active on this matter. Sorry for that. But I do have something to say.

- This feedback thing is max, really appreciated. Good Zebra!
- I want to comment some of the points eventhough I didn't participate

5) SKipping must be good, then some Karlises can't whine about pipe levels

8) Although I like the 10 extra points motivation, it's wrong. You shouldn't mix playing with other stuff in the cups

13) Cup teams sax, makes stats incorrect

26) No money at least, diplomas are max, something to own and remember later. And after that donating to Elma museum
40:02,71 (151.) | WCup4: 8. | 3x WR | 3x GAA | 11x FEM | KOM | The History of Elasto Mania (1995-2018)
zebra
Kuski

Post by zebra »

SveinR wrote:
zebra wrote: For example rec can show 23.456 but the real time (time in lev) can be something between 23.43 and 23.47.
You're wrong. If the rec is shown to be exactly 23,456 then the time in the lev is 23,45.
Which program shows it right? At least all the programs i have tried (elmatim0r, elmainfo, recstats) shows them wrong.
Harald Hasch
Kuski

Post by Harald Hasch »

wouldnt it be 23,46 because its rounded up?
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

I used to think cupteams suck, but now I couldn't care less. I mean, teams are all about höyling together, and that's what they do in those teams, right?
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

But it's just a fuse of the best players, giving noone else a real chance, if the competition is kept closer, then it's funner to try and beat the other teams.
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

15 is a lot, 12(10) much better atleast. I was starting to get quite tired of it around event 10 already. Would be nice with some cups even shorter, like 5 or 7. And yes, necessary to know beforehand.

No! I really like the length of the levels in mc2, I like longer levels genereally, some like shorter levs so it's hard to say, a mixture ofcourse, which there were here.

I like that there were some hard levels, it might scare of newer players, but would they be playing anyway?

It would be nice yes, but not much of a difference, ofcourse lost mails suck.

Nice that I could skip pipe yes, though I also agree with juski: "apart from the fact that you might have done better if you skipped another event"

They were driven with fairly good styles and then some 10-20sec standing still before flower, would've been ok if driven with sux style.

Different lenght were nice, caus it fitted the levels. Though it's also nice when there's one fixed weekday where you have to send.

No way a reward. I don't think that many reads them anyway (but what do I know), I only read a few.

Love them elma videoes.

Nice, though I seldom take the time to check them :/

Yes I do.

I was in one, it's nice to have someone to play with, if your normal team isn't playing or you don't have one. It ruins teamstats a bit yeah, dunno.

Not really, we know finland wins.

Not any where you count apples. Apple harvest lev was bestest <3, headbanger, many flowers would be nice.

Wouldn't like it.

Yes indeed, would be way to boring playing a level with no grass and pics for a whole week.

No breaks, would make cup longer and we don't like that. Deadline is best late on the day, 18:00 or later, so you don't miss it if you're in school or something.

I would prefer not during summer, summer holiday atleast.

As much as possible!

That's just what cup means in elma language, no problem.

Takes 1 min to install mirc... ;)

I don't use levels on kopasite, that works fine, but not like it takes that much longer to send the level too.

Diplomas is awesome :P
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Harald Hasch wrote:wouldnt it be 23,46 because its rounded up?
No, elma doesn't round up times.
Rules | FAQ
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

zebra wrote:
Juski wrote:
Yes, the rec's time maybe but it doesn't match perfectly to the time you have in lev (which is more important, right?)
For example rec can show 23.456 but the real time (time in lev) can be something between 23.43 and 23.47.
elmatim0r is (almost) always right, I've seen only a few recs where it is wrong (because 12*x/x might be 11.9999999999). I wrote skint0r once how to make it 100% work (copied code from elma a copied exactly bits of contants), dunno if he fixed it in his php version
[carebox]
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

I was thinking maybe you could make a patch which makes the rec take the time directly from the lev before making itself a separate file, therefore 100% correct instead of 30%