Level designing

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

Bogart
Kuski

Level designing

Post by Bogart »

Hi all of you Elma fans!

First I´d like to say that I couldn´t find any topic about level designing (!?). So if there is, please let me know by a kick in the head or something like that.

I´m interested in a thread where you can discuss or share tips about level designing. I, as many others I think, love to make levels and I have maked 1 good level in my opinion. But 1 is far from enough. I want to make hundreds of `em. The sad thing is that everytime I do a level, I first think it´s real good looking at it in ALE. Later after I´ve played it a few times I realise that it really sucks.

I need:

*tips
*inspiration
*to know what all you guys like in a level

And I´m also interested in some level designing bugs if there is. So as lines in the level that isn´t there. (?!). If you know what I mean...

So share as much as you like, but only if it´s good :wink:
niN
Kuski
Team: HoHo

Post by niN »

I belive there already is a thread like this. I don't know where but i think it exists. I can be wrong but... Anyways I dont mind keeping this topic unlocked.
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

hihi heres an easy technique I often use to make very smooth loops just as big as I want them (WARNING! ALE-users, this is 10secs loss of ur lifes)

ok I decided to make loop as high as the distance between the red dots...

start out by making some sort of arrow like this, making it too spiky wont become smooth, same with making it too flat. bah just do smth...

create new vertexes just in the middle and slightly outside the 2 previous ones...

create new vertexes just in the middle above the 4 previous ones...

just continue doing this and it will be real round =)
bet u didnt know this tech already :roll:
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

Really good tip John...

Another tip is before throwing yourself in the editor, try thinking about the level and drawing the level on a piece of paper first. When you think your level looks playable and good, make it in the editor.
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
Bogart
Kuski

Post by Bogart »

Yeah great tip John! :) Very simple but also very usefull.
Another tip is before throwing yourself in the editor, try thinking about the level and drawing the level on a piece of paper first. When you think your level looks playable and good, make it in the editor.
Tried that in the very beginning, stopped cus I ran out of paper :oops: good tip!
crazyevildude
Kuski

Post by crazyevildude »

Bogart wrote:Yeah great tip John! :) Very simple but also very usefull.
Tried that in the very beginning, stopped cus I ran out of paper :oops: good tip!
Draw it in MSpaint perhaps? You only need a rough idea.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Heah, john, I actually never thought of it like that. Quite smart teh. =)
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Yeh John, sach clever, never thought of =)

Hmz dunno if I will use it though, no big fan of smooth loops anyway :roll:
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
berhabdul
Banned

Post by berhabdul »

nice but non-ALE, so stupid and waste of time. Ale is the best
jonsterion
Kuski

Post by jonsterion »

I don´t use ALE... only for pipe levs and such

tip: put flower on a random spot. start making your level backwards, from end to start.
belele
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

SveinR wrote:Hmz dunno if I will use it though, no big fan of smooth loops anyway :roll:
it can be used to just smooth out any vertex, not have to make loops out of it =)
Jeppe
39mins club

Post by Jeppe »

do we really need this kinda topic? i mean jävla noobs!
Bogart
Kuski

Post by Bogart »

Haha you´re swedish, lovely me too!

But that was really low to say that we´re noobs :lol:

I actually tried boneless tip about drawing on a piece of paper. And it actually worked so later I´ll make the best level ever! :wink: No but this thread doesn´t do any harm does it? So just come with a tip or leave it alone would ya!
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

I've never used xiit ALE for level making, just to add custom symbols in level names =)
39:37,91
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

8-ball wrote:I've never used xiit ALE for level making
Why do you think ALE is cheating?
DamRho
Kuski

Post by DamRho »

dz wrote:
8-ball wrote:I've never used xiit ALE for level making
Why do you think ALE is cheating?
He meant the other xiiit.
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

DamRho wrote:He meant the other xiiit.
I don't understand what you are trying to say.
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

Autograss? Copying polygons?

OK maybe it sounds like the same as when 1.11 patch came out and everyone was able to do alovolt ez, so veterans who were able to do alo normally, were pissed off =)
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

The_BoneLESS wrote:Really good tip John...

It´s just impossible to draw on paper. Someone once said this was a good way to make levels. So I tried. Fuck that sucked. Nothing worked as a planned, just normal jumps that was needed to even finish the level wasnt possible. Just impossible to know how things work irl (irl = when you accually play with the Real elmabike). When I make a level I dont plan at all how it shall be, I just open the editor.. makes a few polygons and hope for the best. If the level sucks I just move on and make another one, I never bother spending time to change a crappy level to a good one.. once crappy, crappy. Then, if yuou didnt know.. I make tons of levels. Most crappy, most that ppl never get to see.. only me hehe..
I usually dont spend too much time on every level.. sometimes when I like a level I have a bad habit of putting too much time to make it "perfect", which really just sucks...
Elasto Mania - ez better
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

I agree with ramone, I once tried to draw a level and I found it pretty impossible to replicate it in the editor
[OMG] | [SpEF] | Apparently my TT was once 39:26:06
berhabdul
Banned

Post by berhabdul »

Strange. I did it many times at school my on every lesson i design new levels on paper and it works but i admit that it's hard to replicae in editor
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

I've got a little tip.
* When the level is finished you need to name it (It's always a lot more fun to play a named level) remember to say what number the level is. It's a real pain in the but not knowing the number of the level when you have got a nice rec.
* try and get an good/average time in the top ten before publishing it. I think it's always a lot more fun to know the average time of the level before the actuall hoyling. however don't "super hoyl" the level before publishing it. If I can't make the top ten on a level i just downloaded I get tired of the level quite fast.
//niN
Bogart
Kuski

Post by Bogart »

It's a real pain in the but not knowing the number of the level when you have got a nice rec.
So true!

Okey, this thread didn´t turn out exactly as I wanted it...

I´m the most intersted in my last point:
And I´m also interested in some level designing bugs if there is. So as lines in the level that isn´t there. (?!). If you know what I mean...
Anyone who has an idea what I´m mean and has an answer?
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

Bogart wrote:
Anyone who has an idea what I´m mean and has an answer?
Yeah. It mostly happens because you place to polygons very close to each other. You can often get it away by changing the vertex's very little, or put some very small polygon in the air where the line is, that will make the line stop at that polygon.
Xhomaz
Kuski
Team: LOS

Post by Xhomaz »

If 2 vertexes or polygons are placed very close to each other, sometimes a bug line appear. You can drive right through it. If you edit your vertex or polygon a little, the bug line will most likely be gone. I wouldn't recommend trying to make bug lines, as the interfere with the playing and are ugly.
Team LOS website
I'll stop stabbing when you stop screaming
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

hm Ive seen some rec where someone seemed to drive a normal vertical pipe but when I turned map on that pipe didnt exist, and it was just solid ground there, that some bug for ya! =)
Bogart
Kuski

Post by Bogart »

Kopaka wrote:
Yeah. It mostly happens because you place to polygons very close to each other. You can often get it away by changing the vertex's very little, or put some very small polygon in the air where the line is, that will make the line stop at that polygon.
Okey so it´s pretty hard to do then...

Xhomaz wrote:
I wouldn't recommend trying to make bug lines, as the interfere with the playing and are ugly.
But wouldn´t it be kind of fun if you do a level which is very hard to guess what´s gonna happen? So as invisible polygons, "drawing bugs", wrong textures and so on...

Edit: How am I doing those "xxx wrote:" stuff correctly?
zebra
Kuski
Team: TAP

Post by zebra »

The_BoneLESS wrote:Really good tip John...

I have tried that couple of times. The only problem is that the levs get very big :) For example The Analysis i made first on paper.

This is maybe the most buggy lev ever I have seen, thanks to Juski. He said he got the errors with Ale: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/women.lev

By the way, I made an article about level designing tips, it can be found here: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/level_designing_tips.html
A winner of 4 GAA's (mc2 included), winner of mkup206, and a proud member of team TAP.
Play uni levels: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/uni.html
Homepage: http://koti.mbnet.fi/zebra/elma.html
berhabdul
Banned

Post by berhabdul »

Nice, Zebra! Golden Apple for You!
Last edited by berhabdul on 12 Jan 2006, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

ok?.... u may relax a bit. :?

Ez finding the error... but cool buggy lvl :D
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
niN
Kuski

Post by niN »

hey Zebra! nice one! It helped me quite a lot.
Juski
Kuski

Post by Juski »

Bogart wrote:But wouldn´t it be kind of fun if you do a level which is very hard to guess what´s gonna happen? So as invisible polygons, "drawing bugs", wrong textures and so on...
NO!

And thanks to zebra who uploaded my lev :* thought of doing it myself but never really got to itn and btw that isn't the worst bugs i have done, did some big apple harvest fall level the was leik that but 5x bigger.
No regrets Image
Are you LOST?
Bogart
Kuski

Post by Bogart »

NO!
OK, seems like you´re pretty sure about this. There will be no such level! :cry:
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

yes he is pretty sure and i can promise you one thing! nobody will play an invisible vertext level more than one time
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
jonsterion
Kuski

Post by jonsterion »

Try designing level backwards: place flower anywere and make the lev from end to start.
belele
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

havent u already given that tip? =)
jonsterion
Kuski

Post by jonsterion »

haha lol ye I did :oops: I´ve finished some lev some hours ago using that method... anyway, another tip: make a lot of islands with cool shapes and then make some kind of lab proo lev. Just put those islands around "randomly" and you´ll probably get a not so bad lev. I´ve made some like this, including 1 master cup lev :D
Looks pretty bango but it works.
belele
8-ball
39mins club

Post by 8-ball »

How do you "put" islands around? o_O
petsen
Meetsen

Post by petsen »

think he means place random polygons around the map and then you'll have a lev thats ok.... i think...
Proud Member Of RDK
Bogart
Kuski

Post by Bogart »

jonsterion wrote:another tip: make a lot of islands with cool shapes and then make some kind of lab proo lev. Just put those islands around "randomly" and you´ll probably get a not so bad lev.
Cool tip! Made a funny start using that method. :P