Are you a loser?

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

sierra
39mins club

Are you a loser?

Post by sierra »

Well, yes or no?

We all know that we are, at least to a certain extent, losers (ignoring the obvious exception of myself). We play a two-dimensional motorbike simulation game. We do this regularly, or at least there has been a period in time when we have done. What's more, not satisfied with just playing the game, we felt it necessary to join a forum to discuss how to better ourselves at it, and to form relationships with others who also play it. Some of us even enjoyed the company of "Elasto Mania" players so much that we decided to join IRC channels, and spend all day talking to other players. Some of us have made genuine friends through this bizarre cyber link. Some have concluded that the online experience is not fulfilling enough, and that we should meet in real life, to play "Elma" side by side. In some countries this has become a traditional and much-coveted event.

Now, let's face the facts. Brad Pitt isn't playing Elma. Nor is Donald Trump, Arnold Schwarzenegger or Ronaldinho. Playing Elma is not something that earns money, contributes to society, or is conventionally considered attractive to the opposite sex. We appear to be indulging in this absurd ritual for no apparent gain other than our own satisfaction. My hypothesis is that we (you) are all fucking losers. How do we (you) find the time to visit this forum on such a regular basis, and continue to devote hours to playing this juvenile game? Why aren't we (you) out, away from the refuge of our computers, learning tangible skills that will help us advance our careers, or travelling the world, or trying to better ourselves in the conventional sense? Why do we (you) take such comfort in hiding behind our alter egos, living this double life away from the beautiful, the judgmental and the popular, if not because we are too disillusioned with reality? Have we (you) simply 'lost' in life?
[OMG] | [SpEF] | Apparently my TT was once 39:26:06
Xiphias
39mins club

Post by Xiphias »

Can't vote =/
Thorze wrote:I just wanted to make a cool topic like Juish have cool topics..
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

no elma -> no patching skillz
and how can you attract opposite sex better than with patching some of their favourite progs
[carebox]
berhabdul
Banned

Post by berhabdul »

sierra, all what youve written is totally right, we do know subconsciously about that, it's just never spoken aloud. good job.
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Though shockingly accurate as your hypothesis is (that we are all losers because we find stimulus within a simple 2D motorbike simulation game, and don't spend enough time doing something that matters in life)
Take a gratuitous assumption that 1. this is the majority activity that we indulge in, and 2. we don't spend more time doing things that are actually worth living for, such as spending time with family or having general "in real life" fun, or even earning money, or working on career skills.

You go on to ask if we have "lost" in life; which to me asks if we have "wasted" our time playing a game. And I believe that you had subliminally previously devised yourself a logical answer that seems to answer everything in your own sense, that we'd all agree because you put your argument out in such a beautiful way (I liked this one) that there could be no logical refusal. But I believe I can respectfully refuse to say that in real life I am a loser. (even though I am spending my personal time that could be honed to enjoy something or hone skills, but hey- we all have spare time)
Your hypothesis would need extensive and intrusive knowledge of everyone's lifestyle, skills, hobbies and jobs, and what about those of us that actually haven't been to a meeting that was organized simple because of the event? Just because we hadn't the chance (or the financial backing) to visit real people who play the game, does that make us any less of a "loser" in the sense you put it as?

I would say that the majority of us do not play the game enough to take up ample time to distract us to the extent that we completely lose enough touch with the real world to be called "losers" simple for the reason of playing a game.

As for forums; forums are a form of conversation, as well as a way to exchange knowledge (to an extent) so to be realistic, it is possible, plausible, conceivable even that you could learn something by visiting a forum, even though the chance is unlikely.

At the end of the day, are you a loser if you enjoyed a small period of your day enjoying a game? Everyone's played games before, the fact that the rules in this one are different does not make the difference. Graphics, game-play or game name do not make the nolif0r. It is the time you spend on the game that ritualistically consumes time where you should be doing other, more constructive things.

And so I say, in real life, I am not a loser. I spend hardly any time on Elma nowadays, it has become a thing I do if I have absolutely nothing else to do.
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
The_BoneLESS
38mins club
Team: HHIT

Post by The_BoneLESS »

sierra, despite your perfect english and you astonishing articulation, you are in the exact same position as all of us.
Please don't make us feel bad for being so innocent and naive towards life.

and yeah, almost forgot,

respect for brad pitt < respect for mila
Website || TT:38:05:33 || WC5:15th || HHIT for life || 9th world wide ... BAP is next
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

The_BoneLESS wrote: respect for brad pitt < respect for mila
quote of the year
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
Labs
37mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Labs »

Most people from 10 to 30 years age playing games and talking about the games on forums, so most people are losers?...
Team SPEED

Zweq
34mins club

Post by Zweq »

when you define a loser, I'll give my vote. Besides who cares about stereotype. Who thinks (s)he is enough important here to say the only real way of life is to active on social interactiveness, good in school, make a family?

the only losers are who think that the people who don't follow stereotypes and the mainstream are losers
Igge
38mins club

Post by Igge »

YES

but not due to elma
John: lol hittade ett popcorn i naveln
(19:52:06) (@Madnezz) The Golden Apple Award goes to.....
(19:52:36) (@Madnezz) ib9814.lev by igge!!!
Zweq wrote:99.9999% of nabs haven't even opened the book yet and most of those that have are still on the first pages
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

The_BoneLESS wrote:respect for brad pitt < respect for mila
uberlol
[carebox]
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Zweq put it well. Sure, I've wasted time on elma with höyling. But the interactivity with the other aspects of the scene was no waste to indulge in.
J-sim
39mins club

Post by J-sim »

you are so right sierra. i wasted my teens playing elma, and i kinda regret it. i am a loser, but i geuss it's never too late to do something about it. i have succesfully stayed away from playing elma for several weeks now, and have hardly even been on irc. ok, i have been very busy with different things, such as school, but it has been good for me. so yeah, people should get a life...
milagros
Cheatless

Post by milagros »

there are so many things that can be considered to be the waste of time - playing comp games, watching movies on comp, tv, reading magazines, going to pub, church, ..
i can hardly say i wasted my life on elma because i've never did that instead of something more important (and thats why the patch is not finished yet) and if i didn't play elma i would waste it some different way
[carebox]
Olliz
Kuski

Post by Olliz »

Quit the self pity, quit the angst.

Show some balls.

NOW.

If you feel you dont have a life, get one. If you play elma and still have a life (outside your computer), well congrats. You know how this shit rolls then.

Life is what you make of it.

btw. Brad Pitt does play elma :P
"Now sonn the mettings start . See you i am happy Laestadian if i die to night i come to the heaven.see you" (c)marcus (random swe elma player)