How to moderate Belma

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

ribot
Not banned

How to moderate Belma

Post by ribot »

I'm writing this because some of the moderators are incompetent, and whoever priviledged them with this possibility has made a few mistakes. A good moderator supplies the gaming community with quality and is a positive influence on the experience. A bad one on the other hand reeks with ineptitude and basically abuses the service with anal self interests. To allow such a person with moderating capabilities is a mistake detrimental to the whole community.

I will write here a list of my opinions of positive and negative behaviours seen (and unseen) in belma. Please share your feedback and most importantly help to maintain an intelligent community, as it will be benificial to everybody. Taking action is of utmost importance of the caretakers, and the action needs to be wise and just, and not with the spirit of a sexually supressed teenager.

Quality:
  • Before aborting a balle, the moderator makes sure no one is still playing, that the level is clearly unplayable, and communicates this with the balle starter
    Aborting a balle is not justified with the moderator's opinion alone. It must at least be the clear general opinion of the current players, and generally also with the consent of the balle starter
    Following rules has to be consequential. Aborting only certain balles with the excuse of following rules, when it only happens during the balles the moderator doesn't like is unacceptable. This behaviour belongs to retardedness to the level of hospitalization.
Retarded to the level of hospitalization:
  • An unconvential level is started, it might be unliked, and it is aborted without confirmation by a moderator.
    A moderator makes a sudden threat of ban, because of personal reasons, making an excuse about some rule, when this rule is not followed in other cases.
    A moderator bans a user because of personal reasons (in other words the moderator can't keep his emotions aside from his duty).
As you might know, competent moderation has failed both here on mopolauta and IRC. Let's see if the community can do a bit of evolution and make belma a superb gaming experience!
-
"leader status in the Elma against-the-system underground" - Abula
-
IncrElastoMania - Elma Simulation - Browser Game 2020
Elma Imager - Command Line Tool 2020
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Re: How to moderate Belma

Post by Kopaka »

First of all moderation rights as in aborting battles is a matter of having an exe file and when you have it you can just give it to anyone, so this means there might be many who has these rights eventhough they are not suitable. So that could be some of the reason.
ribot wrote:Before aborting a balle, the moderator makes sure no one is still playing, that the level is clearly unplayable, and communicates this with the balle starter
Aborting a balle is not justified with the moderator's opinion alone. It must at least be the clear general opinion of the current players, and generally also with the consent of the balle starter
I think if some level is clearly not following the rules there are no reason to discuss the abort with battle starter or players. But you are right that you often seen some battle aborted and the starter is just flamed instead of asking him about the level and explaining what he is doing wrong.
ribot wrote:A moderator makes a sudden threat of ban, because of personal reasons, making an excuse about some rule, when this rule is not followed in other cases.
A moderator bans a user because of personal reasons (in other words the moderator can't keep his emotions aside from his duty).
Only zworqy can ban and he's quite rarely online, so any threats are not real. Only very few actually get banned and for good reason, I haven't seen anyone banned that wasn't long overdue, so don't know where you get that from.
ribot wrote:Let's see if the community can do a bit of evolution and make belma a superb gaming experience!
I hope so too! Especially in EOL where we'll have much better tools for these things so it should be easier to achieve this (:
FinMan
36mins club
Team: dat

Post by FinMan »

Personally I have to say that I'm not making reasonless abortions and my rights (=exe) for belma are given by zwor himself. Every time I abort a level, I make a chatline about it. Reasons that might cause abortion are basically these: The level is old / by other player, the level is not equal for all the players, just like vsync hangs. About vsync, if theres a vsync hang in a position that does not matter to winning balle, it shouldnt matter. In the case it relly makes change in times, the battle is abortable. And in this case the aborter has to tell the reason. If the level is equal for everyone, doesnt matter if its good, bad, annoying or anything, there's many much cooler levels in queue or anything, the battle is not abortable. And third thing that makes people argue about if a battle is aborted is that when the battle starter forgot to move kuski to right position in the level. The balle can be aborted if the lev is not finishable without moving the start back in real position. That obviously makes pre-höyling easy but usually it is worth moving and if you are lame enough to pre-höyl, go ahead!
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Totally agree with FinMan. And people who abort just because the level is shit or because of some personal reason, shouldn't have abort rights. I don't want to mention anybody concrete, but some people doing teh, don't they, Jappe ?
pawq
38mins club
Team: TR

Post by pawq »

FinMan wrote:I'm not making reasonless abortions
i disagree here, once ive finished an ff lev as the first one (i was going to win) in a new, unplayed level, and suddenly what happens? its aborted. any explanation from anyone? yea, look 2 lines below
FinMan wrote:Every time I abort a level, I make a chatline about it.
yea, like "<someone> it could be finman o,o" and "<finman> it could be me o,o"
FinMan wrote:Reasons that might cause abortion are basically these: The level is old / by other player, the level is not equal for all the players, just like vsync hangs. About vsync, if theres a vsync hang in a position that does not matter to winning balle, it shouldnt matter. In the case it relly makes change in times, the battle is abortable. And in this case the aborter has to tell the reason. If the level is equal for everyone, doesnt matter if its good, bad, annoying or anything, there's many much cooler levels in queue or anything, the battle is not abortable.
good points, but you dont always stick to them too

imo at first eol should find out if a level has been battled before from some database based on belmalog or sth
also imo more people should have special rights (please not .exe! it sux!), but after any disobedience they should be taken away...
Memphis
37mins club

Post by Memphis »

seriously here though. boneless or myself need moderating powers or both of us. We are both mature individuals and have been around the scene for ages and there is no moderators ever on at night times here in the West coast of Canada. Not that annoying but it would be nice to be able to stop a battle that has been played before if everyone wants it to when someone has a fresh battle to play.

Thanks for hearing me out mila.
Religious Man
|| TT: 37:47:70 || EX New Wave WR + Animal Farm WR || 24 Canadian Records || TEC Bronze Medal || HHIT in the 37min club || http://elastomaster.tripod.com/
||
roope
37mins club
Team: MiE

Post by roope »

Jeu, I'm often online at the same time as bone and memph, and there's never anyone to abort sax balles at that time. I think there should be someone to abort at any given time of the day.

Pawq, nice attack on fm just because you didn't win a battle because of him :)
Team MiE - MiE Cup 1
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

:) does that change anything? and he aborted more balles :roll:
Pab
38mins club

Post by Pab »

i wana moderate
My Youtube Channel Level Stats Maker Battle Notifier!

Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
Morgan
36mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Morgan »

Madness wrote:Totally agree with FinMan. And people who abort just because the level is shit or because of some personal reason, shouldn't have abort rights. I don't want to mention anybody concrete, but some people doing teh, don't they, Jappe ?
fully agree, few ppl just shouldnt have aborting rights
Image TT - 36:53.16 || 17 Polish Records || SPEED
Memphis
37mins club

Post by Memphis »

Morgan wrote:
Madness wrote:Totally agree with FinMan. And people who abort just because the level is shit or because of some personal reason, shouldn't have abort rights. I don't want to mention anybody concrete, but some people doing teh, don't they, Jappe ?
fully agree, few ppl just shouldnt have aborting rights
yup, I brought this up before but couldn't agree more with the both of u.
Religious Man
|| TT: 37:47:70 || EX New Wave WR + Animal Farm WR || 24 Canadian Records || TEC Bronze Medal || HHIT in the 37min club || http://elastomaster.tripod.com/
||
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

I'm sure Kopaka will choose right people with the right to abort or stop a battle. I hope no Jappe2 is among them.
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
FinMan
36mins club

Post by FinMan »

Pawq wrote:
FinMan wrote:I'm not making reasonless abortions
i disagree here, once ive finished an ff lev as the first one (i was going to win) in a new, unplayed level, and suddenly what happens? its aborted. any explanation from anyone? yea, look 2 lines below
Tell the levname, lets see the logs. It will tell the truth.
Pawq wrote:

Code: Select all

[03:00:01] * temp_server sets mode: -m
[03:00:03] <@temp_server> *************** First finish battle in BerhN010.lev will start in 60 secs by brainac, duration 1 min ***************
[03:00:05] <@temp_server> *************** First finish battle in BerhN010.lev by brainac aborted by Ali ***************
And about the chatline, plx learn the magic skill of reading! Or get a better memory. I said "Ye, maybe it was me o,o", not "it could be me o,o". And what the heck can you answer if someone suspects you for doing something like that. If you deny, its not hard to lie online, of course you would deny after doing such as thing anyways, and if you admit that, its just like "oh, you suck, dont do it again". So, to make the most neutral sentence for that decided to just say "ye, maybe it was me".
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

Pawq wrote:

To me, this means it wasn't FinMan. he didn't make a chatline about it and didn't confirm aborting.
Image Cyberscore! Image
Targets: 6 Legendary, 23 WC, 20 Pro, 5 Good | AvgTT: 39:59:96
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

well sorry for that then. however, notice that ive only said that it has been aborted, and then (almost :/) quoted you, didnt say directly that you did it :P anyway sorry for suspecting you, just had noone else to suspect o,o
ville_j
Kuski
Team: IS

Post by ville_j »

But you said that finman makes unreasonable aborts, which is not true. Now people will always remember how you acted that way without a proof ((((
NoZKeY
Kuski

Post by NoZKeY »

Nah Finman doesn't make unreasonable aborts, he just follow rules :P
I really hate those people who abort when there is no real reason or when no rule is being broken :| But i have no idea who is it :/
Grace
38mins club
Location: Deep in your Imagination, Twirling your Dreams and Weaving your thoughts.

Post by Grace »

NoZKeY wrote:Nah Finman doesn't make unreasonable aborts, he just follow rules :P
I really hate those people who abort when there is no real reason or when no rule is being broken :| But i have no idea who is it :/
Jappe2
Image Cyberscore! Image
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

I FinMan the FinMan man, finnish man a nice FinMan, FinMan. FinMan? A fin's man that can't finish, man. That's true, fine. Man? Heard FinMan win, man? A funny man, but what's FinMan? Yes, a FinMan. Finman? Where is FinMan?! FinMan!
<Pawq> at a gym you have only 3 options: 1. have your eyes closed, 2. stare at yourself, 3. stare at others, all of which are either super boring or disgusting
Grace
38mins club

Post by Grace »

what is finman?
Image Cyberscore! Image
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

I am no sure yet... Bah I am still exploring the issue... Guess nobody knows exactly just now what finman is... Come with me, help me dig the real truth out. Follow your senses, your mind, your internal finman...
Chris
Kuski
Team: Ferrari

Post by Chris »

FinMan wrote:

Code: Select all

[03:00:01] * temp_server sets mode: -m
[03:00:03] <@temp_server> *************** First finish battle in BerhN010.lev will start in 60 secs by brainac, duration 1 min ***************
[03:00:05] <@temp_server> *************** First finish battle in BerhN010.lev by brainac aborted by Ali ***************
8O
How can anyone abort battle after 2 seconds? Levels should not be aborted just because they are started by some certain person. When moderator abort level, he/she should check whether it is new or old level, should look at level quality, battle time and type, totally ignoring battle starter. I'm sure it would take longer than 2 seconds.
Lousku wrote:could you mayke shorter sig please :( mega annoying and also against rules :()
Morgan
36mins club
Team: SPEED

Post by Morgan »

i guess it was double abort, a mistake
Image TT - 36:53.16 || 17 Polish Records || SPEED
Orcc
Moporator

Post by Orcc »

Day, hour, minute timestamps I guess.
NoobSty2-competition

"If you're afraid of pedophiles - grow up"
abruzzi
Kuski

Post by abruzzi »

Morgan wrote:i guess it was double abort, a mistake
no
Orcc wrote:Day, hour, minute timestamps I guess.
yes

Ali just aborts any of my levels, regardless of anything, well i'm not surprised, after having met one's fist with face twice I would do the same.

Remember Poplávy u bastard hahaha ur face was softer than i'd thought
Madness
35mins club

Post by Madness »

Ban belma
A.K.B.
37mins club

Post by A.K.B. »

Make abortion illegal!
1 Golden Apple Award: Rookie of the Year
FinMan wrote:I prefer AKB:s topics to Xratios ones :)
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

Pab wrote:i wana moderate
dont have startballemax?
Elasto Mania - ez better
gimp
Kuski

Post by gimp »

Memphis is a fair soul make him a moderator. and Jappe2 is definitely not deserving of being a moderator because his ego eats him up and by giving him the ability to be a moderator you have made the buffoon feel special, now he's even more of a dick because he can be.
God Bless America
FinMan
36mins club

Post by FinMan »

I vote for roope and, going with gimp, Memphis. Dont remember anymore of these, just dont know who has max and who does not.
ville_j
Kuski

Post by ville_j »

I am very very disappointed: (. 60min balle started in old lev and plenty of mods around and none abort and all just play and play. Babort everything. Even you, FINMAN!
Ecchi
39mins club

Post by Ecchi »

I dunno if I'm old enough in the community to be trusted for this, but would love startballemax as I'm often online at weird times when mods are rarely around. Also see myself as a honest and fair soul:p
RIP enthusiast claim image:(
Pab
38mins club

Post by Pab »

ramone wrote:
dont have startballemax?
No, giv me?
My Youtube Channel Level Stats Maker Battle Notifier!

Signatür ruined by SveinR - smaller plz :*
Lukazz
36mins club

Post by Lukazz »

e: nvm
TT: 36:59:53 || Avg TT: 38:09:65
Bismuth
Kuski
Team: <3

Post by Bismuth »

I could too, since belma needs night mods and living at GMT -5 helps. Though I'm not online much lately, and I think Memphis is more known as a fair thinking man by everyone (except Jappe). Anyway, I wouldn't moderate like a mongo.
:mrhat:
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

Pab wrote:
ramone wrote:
dont have startballemax?
No, giv me?
ofc
Elasto Mania - ez better
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

sash lame to beg for it :D
pawq
38mins club

Post by pawq »

i vote yes for Ecchi and Memphis, Memphis is an obvious candidate, and Ecchi even though very young kuski, seems wise and fair :P i dont think ive ever seen him acting like an idiot.