Elma freezes after few seconds

Before starting a new topic read Moposite's Help and earlier topics. Note: this forum is for Elma problems, not Moposite.

Moderator: Moporators

Morrog
Beginner kuski

Elma freezes after few seconds

Post by Morrog »

Whenever i try to play Elma (with or without Winamp) in XP it freezes after a few seconds. My whole comp freezes and i have to restart which isn't healthy for my comp !!!! This happens every time but it's only doing that for like the last month...
Someone help me, i want to play !!!!!!
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

try to update display drivers, (nvidia or ati?) and maybe update sound drivers..

these at first
Karlis
Höylä Optimus

Post by Karlis »

turn sounds off and close all running progs(ctrl-alt-del and close one by one)
Tomorrow's Lucky Run Solutions Today
Flowertouching Men
Antz
Donator
Team: Quack

Post by Antz »

karlis u do know what the task manager is like in xp(having xp too)? try go close those dozen processes like pRmvr.exe, svchost.exe, lsass.exe, csrss.exe etc. that sure will fix any problem :)
Karlis
Höylä Optimus

Post by Karlis »

Antz wrote:karlis u do know what the task manager is like in xp(having xp too)? try go close those dozen processes like pRmvr.exe, svchost.exe, lsass.exe, csrss.exe etc. that sure will fix any problem :)
wtf? if you hit ctrl-alt-del task manager pops up, so what was that about
Flowertouching Men
Antz
Donator
Team: Quack

Post by Antz »

yes it does. but the applications window shows only programs that have a window on. if u have winamp agent, kazaa in taskbar, etc programs on, they don't show there. u have to dig and find them from the process window where there are lots of progs and at least i have no idea what most of them do.
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

of course antz, but thats easy as well, because you can close all programs which user name is admin name. after that you can try to close some system processes, it doesn't matter that much to try to close some important process since usually it just cant be closed.

but my guess is that the askers computer is just enough messed up and would like to get a format.. but of course that's not a good idea if you don't know what you are doing. i'm a kind of perfectionist what comes to computer stability, i would most likely to format my system drive if my elma got freezed more than once, if it didn't happen before. :)
Bonobo
Kuski

Post by Bonobo »

I have the same problem in:
Morrowind, Quake 3, Battle Field 1942. and those games
But not in Elma, NWN, Starcraft.
wtf
[TT=1:01.67] || < [AC] >, Go
SuppaFly
Kuski

Post by SuppaFly »

A bit diferent:
Playing Elma, and after a time (5-25 ect. mins), it just quits. The comp. doesn't freez, but i have to restart, because can't run Elma.
Maybe because bugging WinAmp3.

What is 'wtf'?
| 43:58:42 | SuPpa! |
Bonobo
Kuski

Post by Bonobo »

Bonobo wrote:I have the same problem in:
Morrowind, Quake 3, Battle Field 1942. and those games
But not in Elma, NWN, Starcraft.
wtf
It's just getting worse, but Elma is ok.
WTF?
Now NWN freezes and tried Deus Ex with software rendering but it doesn't work..! What's the problem? Win XP? Hate windows! crashes toooo often!
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

SuppaFly wrote:
What is 'wtf'?
it means: What The Fuck
Bonobo
Kuski

Post by Bonobo »

This is getting more oftopic but coming back:
My computer can't be started. It's hanging up all the time, a little problem from start that is a big one right now!
I can start the computer in "felsäkert läge" (secure...) but then I can't play Elma.
I'm more and more going over to my lovely gamecube! no trouble there!
Karlis
Höylä Optimus

Post by Karlis »

re-install windows :wink:
Flowertouching Men
Bonobo
Kuski

Post by Bonobo »

tried it already.
and a lot of other things too.
a really strange problem
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

Install linux, problem solved. :P

Well seriously, if you reinstalled Windows and it still doesn't work it means either that you have a hardware problem or that there's something on your harddisk that's causing the problem.
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

install linux and get nothing but problems.

I suggest you do a fresh windows install, first formatting your windows partition/drive. If the problem still occurs, it's most likely something inside your computer, not in your hard drive. In other words, hardware problem.
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

dz wrote:install linux and get nothing but problems.
Bah, you know that's not true. If you have problems with Linux it's more than likely your own or your hardware's fault, with Windows problems can come out of fucking nowhere. Sure, Windows is much more user-friendly, but that's the only actual good thing you can say about it. The problem is that Microsoft in reality have a monopoly, so practically nothing is produced for other operating systems because it's unprofitable.

PS: In case you wondered, I don't use Linux.
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

Sure, you can have no problems if you really know how to use it, but if you're just a regular guy who has problems with elma and windows, installing linux will not give you any kind of solutions. You most likely can't ever get elma working without months of linux studies, if then either.
Dariuz
Kuski

Post by Dariuz »

Have you changed any kind of hardware lately? I'm asking this because when I upgraded my GeForce 2 with a GeForce 4 and i put a new soundcard I had about the same problem, the pc just freezes at about anything i did (games, IE, etc) after a few minutes, but sometimes nothing went wrong for hours. The problem drove me mad and i went to a local computerstore. They told me to replace my 250 Watt powersupply with a 350 Watt one. And guess what...problem solved.
MagnusB
Kuski

Post by MagnusB »

dz wrote:Sure, you can have no problems if you really know how to use it, but if you're just a regular guy who has problems with elma and windows, installing linux will not give you any kind of solutions. You most likely can't ever get elma working without months of linux studies, if then either.
Yeah, I know. I was just joking actually. "Install linux, problem solved" is an old internet catchphrase. (It probably appeared because Linux users some times seem to be very conceited in their OS views.) People started saying "Install linux, problem solved" whenever someone had a computer-related problem.
Bonobo
Kuski

Post by Bonobo »

I have now figured it out! :D
Harddrive crashed wich means all stuff gone 8O , I think!
All home-made movies and Elma levels gone ! :cry:
I think I've got an state.dat with a 1 minute worse TT back-upped somewhere. But still a hell! I had a almost-finished level-pack.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I found it when testing EVERY piece of the computer.
Linux is much better but u need to download patches to almost every program. +There's some programs without patches =(