N00b tips

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

spaceball
Kuski

N00b tips

Post by spaceball »

hi!
i'm a total n00b, and i want to learn! what are the basical moves a elma player has to know? can you give me some tips please?

thanks a lot

spaceball

ps: if this kind of thread already exists, please post a link!
sorry for my bad english, i'm from austria!
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

copy recs plis ;S

of course there are threads like this... only 34 or smthng
39:37,91
spaceball
Kuski

Post by spaceball »

8-ball wrote:copy recs plis ;S

i cannot find those threads! can you post links? please!
8-ball
39mins club
Team: MiE

Post by 8-ball »

spaceball wrote:
8-ball wrote:copy recs plis ;S

i cannot find those threads! can you post links? please!
http://moposite.com/mopolauta/viewforum.php?f=4
39:37,91
spaceball
Kuski

Post by spaceball »

thanks!
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

spaceball and 8-ball, you shoud do teh friends 8)
WkE
Kuski

Post by WkE »

Flat Tracker wrote:spaceball and 8-ball, you shoud do teh friends 8)
or open a billiard club together...
TT: 43:03.93 | AVG: 47:03.65 | Image | Team Site [TR] || TR Forum | 1 Pro, 27 Good, 26 OK
SveinR
Moporator

Post by SveinR »

Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Rules | FAQ
spaceball
Kuski

Post by spaceball »

ok, thanks for the links! but i still don't know kow to jump from a kicker and from a vert wall! what is "the frog"or "jumping jack"
John
first 35tt
Team: WNO

Post by John »

spaceball wrote:ok, thanks for the links! but i still don't know kow to jump from a kicker and from a vert wall! what is "the frog"or "jumping jack"
no one says the frog or jumping jack, we just say bounce and to make a bounce u have to compress the backwheel (or the frontwheel and when its compressed press brake.
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/ryynanen/m ... 47mopo.zip
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/ryynanen/m ... 35mopo.zip
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/ryynanen/m ... 12mopo.zip
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/ryynanen/m ... 32mopo.zip
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/ryynanen/m ... 37mopo.zip
there are a few recs including bounces
Mullvad
Kuski

Join a team

Post by Mullvad »

I hot tip is to join a team. I joined [MK] which is teh mega best team ever and my TT was reducing slowly. BTW if you got any questions I can answer teh best I can. I know how it is to be a n00b :-( My TT isn't good. Hey why don't you ask me over msn messanger ( swedishmullvad@hotmail.com ) add me on your contacts if you want.
Luther
37mins club
Team: ICE

asd

Post by Luther »

Contact me too please, I am a noob :(
Samot_84@hotmail.com
Nekit for president
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

you need to get the alovolt patch

it's available on moposite downloads

most levels require this trick for proper höylage, even the first one
[OMG] | [SpEF] | Apparently my TT was once 39:26:06
chux
Kuski

Re: Join a team

Post by chux »

Mullvad wrote:I joined [MK] which is teh mega best team ever
OMG so true...and its so good to hear people (even if it is a member) thinks my team is the besterest :D

As for n00b tips, dont try anything too much too soon...leave Lab Pro bounce until one of the last things you do, etc.
When you try a new style, just try completing the level with it first, then try the better runs...and if you die, keep playing anyway to get the practise...
And visit Mopolauta a lot!
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.
Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
John
first 35tt

Re: Join a team

Post by John »

chux wrote:...and if you die, keep playing anyway to get the practise...
must be some new patch again :D
WkE
Kuski

Post by WkE »

best tip :
don't hoyl freefall ever :D
jk, just don't hoyl a lev too much coz i did it once and i wanted to quit internals coz i was soo frustrated!
hoyl a lev in short preiods, its much more helpful (when you're hoyling the same level for 3-4 hours, your eyes begin to hurt, you have an head ache, you're hungry and very very angry, which makes you miss 99% of your runs).
TT: 43:03.93 | AVG: 47:03.65 | Image | Team Site [TR] || TR Forum | 1 Pro, 27 Good, 26 OK
chux
Kuski

Post by chux »

OMG I mean if you miss an apple...hehe
I guess you can 'die' and keep playing with Nitro...
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.
Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
WkE
Kuski

Post by WkE »

chux wrote:OMG I mean if you miss an apple...hehe
can be kinda problematic when missing these :

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/skullsawer3/grav.jpg
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

WkE wrote:best tip :
jk, just don't hoyl a lev too much coz i did it once and i wanted to quit internals coz i was soo frustrated!
hoyl a lev in short preiods, its much more helpful (when you're hoyling the same level for 3-4 hours, your eyes begin to hurt, you have an head ache, you're hungry and very very angry, which makes you miss 99% of your runs).
But if you play a level for many hours, you will get the style in your fingers and can almost drive it with closed eyes. I mean if you have played a level for 3hours straight your chances for getting a good run, or make a good style is much bigger if you only play a level 15 mins and then a new.
WkE
Kuski

Post by WkE »

Kopaka wrote:
WkE wrote:best tip :
But if you play a level for many hours, you will get the style in your fingers and can almost drive it with closed eyes. I mean if you have played a level for 3hours straight your chances for getting a good run, or make a good style is much bigger if you only play a level 15 mins and then a new.
and if you got the wrong style? :)
Kopaka
39mins club
Team: LAME

Post by Kopaka »

heh... then you should watch a replay so you get the right ;)
John
first 35tt

Post by John »

WkE wrote:
chux wrote:OMG I mean if you miss an apple...hehe
can be kinda problematic when missing these :

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/skullsawer3/grav.jpg
omg that Upside and Bowling part fit so good together, someone go merge those parts into one lev, me wanna play :)
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

I don't know if it's that interesting but when I was starting with elma I looked for a contest which was updated regulary and did not have that good players taking part. I played and played several months that contest and got myself some records and after losing them I was often forced to look for some new things in the level to take them back.
It's a good way to go deeper inside the levels and really start thinking by yourself how to improve your time, eventhough you thought your last run was "perfect". This way you will progress little by little and it's fun too if there's other players fighting against you.

I played mainly that contest for several months before really moving into internals, and after that perioid I found out that I could do some tricks and basic bike handling alot better than I could earlier. That depth I went trough with that particular contest taught me alot. Maybe this sounds like too complicated and slow method but getting good takes time when it comes to elma.
teajay
Donator duck

Post by teajay »

Yes, it's good to have some internal breaks in a while and then move to externals. You will improve on some things better if you restart to hoyl a level from the beginning of where you saw it. When after 1 month or so, you play internals again, you surely improve much better and faster your total time.
Ramone
50mins club

Post by Ramone »

well... best noob tip: accually.. I think its too late for you :(
Best must be just to play play play and play for fun. And dont care for times... and most important: NOT know there are all these insane tricks styles. Cause then you will never feel you are good. If you just play by yourself you´ll think you are supergood. And "invent" cool moves on your own. So... just keep playing. And remember... play for fun... play many externals.. to see all different ways to drive. And, Smile!
Elasto Mania - ez better
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

Hey ramone... that's very well said! *hug*
sierra
39mins club

Post by sierra »

lol ramone that is cool advice but

that is what i did for like 2 years

i thought i was easily one of the world's best in elma (although i didn't know there actually was such thing as the world's best) because i could finish all the levels and could do flips and stuff

rofl

then my friend told me he was "a pro" at elma and he showed me his rec for Over and Under and i was like "uhhhhhhhh... this is actually possible?" and then he showed me true insanity like headbanger pipe and freefall trick... then the ways of the höylä were brought to my attention

...so here i am... höyling...
[OMG] | [SpEF] | Apparently my TT was once 39:26:06
WkE
Kuski

Post by WkE »

ramone is right.

btw, i entered the scene when i had like 14 uncompleted levels, and began downloading moporecs right when i began playing (like i do in every game... so nice to see pro's recs in every game and being amazed).
and thats why :

1. I never, but never drove Hangman and Hill Legend in the oldschool way, i wasn't considering that way as a possibility either (I think i didn't noticed it).
2. Trix Abound was so ez, i didn't know why n00bs have problems with it (if you know the way, that level is a piece of cake).
3. had so many opportunities to finish AH in 8 minutes, but didn't make it coz it was sucky for me. (6:09 first finish, and that was a "giving up", btw).
4. i thought "i'll never drive level 35 nor watch its replays", i thought its a madness level.
5. ah 2:xx minutes was so goddamn professional. if someone has 2:50 i was like "omg that man is absolutely an elmastar with a WR"