Interactive battle statistics program

General discussion about the games and the scene.

Moderator: Moporators

onlainari
Kuski

Interactive battle statistics program

Post by onlainari »

To get more out of battles, I suggest this scripting could be useful.

First of all, TCL or some similar IRC scripting language is needed, skint0r and many others probably can do it.

Battle starter /msg balebot that he wants to start a battle and he SENDS a lev file to balebot+give him URL to uploaded levfile in private(balebot has autoreceive on *lev files)

Balebot then starts battle on the channel ,type !join to take part in battle. balebot then autosends the lev file to all that typed !join + sends private msg to URL for the lev. You can join the battle even if its almost ending.

That way the bot then counts everyone who takes part, so you cant play secretly without getting stats. Then balebot takes stats for "battles played-(battles being-in-lead) -battles won".

Balebot count statistics for all battles and then you can type !top20 to see 20 best battlers. It is determined by the battles won/battles played, so you get a percentage. And you need over 5 battles to be played to be in top lists, so you cant just come play 1 battle and win it, you are not yet in stats. Also there would be a command like !rank Orcc, then balebot would msg "Orcc is on position 9 (12 battles played - 2 battles won, 16.7%)"

To have lev uploaded and sent is needed perhaps because everyones DCC isnt working. The rec can be uploaded later then normally the old way, and after battle balebot can msg URL to lev file on channel so those who didnt take part can take a look if they want to.

what do you think ?
Mika0r
39mins club

:) #battle (IRCNet)

Post by Mika0r »

Sounds verry nice! that thing youre saying.
Sounds like counterstrike statsme thing :D top15 and so on.
I think more ppl will start playing battles, they want to be the best battlers. or atleast be on toplist.. thats what i think...
Omg, Jeppe soon back from finland, he is drunk as hell :D
Thats all. bajsa ner er. slut kom.
ez snus & coffee.
dz
first 39tt
Team: FM

Post by dz »

dude.... almost all what you said has been done half year ago, join #battle?

altough battlebot hasn't been up lately unfortunately, i really wish MagnusB could finish the work he started.
Viper_KillerGuy
PHPer

well...

Post by Viper_KillerGuy »

the stats should be a website. much easier on the eyes and not as demanding on the bot.
onlainari
Kuski

Post by onlainari »

ok ,well all i wanted is the % stuff and the thing it logs 100% everyone who plays the lev

it adds competition
devin
Kuski

Post by devin »

Just about anything would be better than what we have now..currently all we have is the cyre bot that just changes topic and does updates on the time left...some sort of stats program would be nice

Any one willing to help?
-brag
cyre
Kuski

Post by cyre »

devin wrote:Just about anything would be better than what we have now..currently all we have is the cyre bot that just changes topic and does updates on the time left...some sort of stats program would be nice

Any one willing to help?
Gee thanks devin i really appreciate that. You know, i didn't have to make that script, i just thought it would be better than nothing :cry:

But of course you're right, we really need battlebot there. It's a big mystery what happened to magnusb. First he's very interested in working on battlebot, always designing some cool new features, i mean, just a while ago before he disappeared he had almost finished the new stuff in the bot and it was "few days away from being ready" and then he vanished to thin air for few weeks and now he's back and totally not interested in anything elma-related. Hardly talking to anyone at all.

Now i'm not saying he should open up and spill his guts to us or anything like that. It's just that.. well.. i'm wondering what ever happened to our dear magnusb :(

I'd hate to think we've seen the last of the old magnusb as well as battlebot. He really did a great job with it.

#battle still keeps going though, there are much battles going on, maybe not as much as during battlebot's era but a few anyway. Keep those battles coming ppl. They are really nice addition to the elma scene.
"Fool me seven times, shame on you. Fool me eight or more times, shame on me."
Jeppe
39mins club

Post by Jeppe »

yee battle stats nice.Good to have that !join.Then we know if there is ppl playing the lev :) some bastards (like me).Cant sit and wait in secret to tell time in end and own teh whole balle :D:D:Dreally nice if someone make this thing0r ;X byez
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

i don't find the !join thing necessary in my opinion... does it mean you cannot join when a battle has started? or you can play almost till the end and then !join if you have a good time, and if ya don't, then just don't !join. or what do ya actually mean?
Ky.Jelly
Flood to teh MAX

Post by Ky.Jelly »

im sure he means that in order to play the battle you must type !join to get the level, this does not stop you from joining the battle late, it does however stop you from playing a level and only entering if you think you have a good time, this way, everyone that downloads the levels is considered a player. and it will give an accuratte acount of the amount of people you did beat not just those that bothered to submit times
[10:51:18] <skint0r> i could SACh see KyJelly working at ICA ;D
[10:51:37] <skint0r> "vad kostar denna?" "wtf ch0b0"
Thursday, March 2nd 2005, 0942 i was 3333 [4.43% of total / 3.25 posts per day]
skint0r
39mins club

Post by skint0r »

yes this would be a nice function indeed, but maybe not as a "normal" battle, maybe an option for the levmaker to turn on or off for his lev or something
Prestigious member of 14.6x Tutor14 club
dz
first 39tt

Post by dz »

i still don't find it necessary for regular battles.... who cares if someone plays but doesn't tell his time? i personally don't care, because there isn't any mopobattle kinda total point calculation - at least yet.

secondly, what's the use of it anyway? what does it stop?
if someone !joins and gets the lev, tries it a few runs and decides he don't want to publish his lousy time, then he will just get 00,00 to the results. it's the same as he didn't participate at the first place. 00,00/no time, i don't see a difference here.

on the other hand, during more offical and serious battles, like mopobattles, some kind of !join function would be useful.
onlainari
Kuski

Post by onlainari »

dz: Ppl want to get good stats, so if they join they want to try win it,and thus maybe more players playing seriously. But I know ,number of people dont care their stats so its no use. I personally dont care of them ,but I always like to watch competition,and would like to check stats every now and then to see if Markku is the best battler %:lly or who is :)

And it would need one more implementation to work really properly. Someone can win a battle of 3 players and other a battle of 10. and with this system they would be equal,thats why winner could get "points" of how many he beat,but 2nd 3rd etc wouldnt get any points,heh, its getting very messy,and since the most people are happy without statistic competition it can be forgotten. Just wrote it down if later someone wants to try some more accurate stat system.
MagnusB
Kuski

Re: Interactive battle statistics program

Post by MagnusB »

onlainari wrote:Battle starter /msg balebot that he wants to start a battle and he SENDS a lev file to balebot+give him URL to uploaded levfile in private(balebot has autoreceive on *lev files)
No point in sending the level, the bot can download it by itself.
onlainari wrote:Balebot then starts battle on the channel ,type !join to take part in battle. balebot then autosends the lev file to all that typed !join + sends private msg to URL for the lev. You can join the battle even if its almost ending.
I've thought about a !join command, but I'd rather keep like it's always been (i.e, url in channel topic, everyone can play).
onlainari wrote:That way the bot then counts everyone who takes part, so you cant play secretly without getting stats. Then balebot takes stats for "battles played-(battles being-in-lead) -battles won".
This was one of the many things I was adding (except for the the "playing secretly" part).
onlainari wrote:Balebot count statistics for all battles and then you can type !top20 to see 20 best battlers. It is determined by the battles won/battles played, so you get a percentage. And you need over 5 battles to be played to be in top lists, so you cant just come play 1 battle and win it, you are not yet in stats. Also there would be a command like !rank Orcc, then balebot would msg "Orcc is on position 9 (12 battles played - 2 battles won, 16.7%)"
I think I'd rather make a website than this. The bot would be awfully busy if everyone used these commands all the time.
onlainari wrote:To have lev uploaded and sent is needed perhaps because everyones DCC isnt working. The rec can be uploaded later then normally the old way, and after battle balebot can msg URL to lev file on channel so those who didnt take part can take a look if they want to.
There's no point in DCC, uploading works fine.
onlainari wrote:what do you think ?
Most of what you're saying has been part of my plan from the start, it just turned out to be a lot more complicated than I initially thought (I never thought that I would be the one doing this in the first place). I like your suggestions though, I should've made a Battlebot Suggestions thread a long time ago.
dz wrote:dude.... almost all what you said has been done half year ago, join #battle?

altough battlebot hasn't been up lately unfortunately, i really wish MagnusB could finish the work he started.
I know. Sorry. I'm just so damn lazy, and there was a lot more left to do than I thought.
Viper_KillerGuy wrote:the stats should be a website. much easier on the eyes and not as demanding on the bot.
I agree, it was my plan from the start to make a stats website. In fact, I made a rough draft some time ago: http://members.lycos.co.uk/magnusbelma/
cyre wrote:Gee thanks devin i really appreciate that. You know, i didn't have to make that script, i just thought it would be better than nothing
I could probably slap together a quick results thing with no stats or registration, if people are interested.
cyre wrote:But of course you're right, we really need battlebot there. It's a big mystery what happened to magnusb. First he's very interested in working on battlebot, always designing some cool new features, i mean, just a while ago before he disappeared he had almost finished the new stuff in the bot and it was "few days away from being ready" and then he vanished to thin air for few weeks and now he's back and totally not interested in anything elma-related. Hardly talking to anyone at all.
I know, and I'm sorry. I was just so goddamn tired of the whole thing (and of elma too, to tell you the truth).
cyre wrote:Now i'm not saying he should open up and spill his guts to us or anything like that. It's just that.. well.. i'm wondering what ever happened to our dear magnusb

I'd hate to think we've seen the last of the old magnusb as well as battlebot. He really did a great job with it.

#battle still keeps going though, there are much battles going on, maybe not as much as during battlebot's era but a few anyway. Keep those battles coming ppl. They are really nice addition to the elma scene.
Well, I'm still here, and I'll try to finish the bot, with or without all the other crap (stats, website, etc). I could use some (a lot of) help though, especially with the PHP and such.
skint0r wrote:yes this would be a nice function indeed, but maybe not as a "normal" battle, maybe an option for the levmaker to turn on or off for his lev or something
I like that idea, but I'm a bit worried there are too many options for the levelmaker at this point. In addition to the battle length and the level url, there is the battle type (normal battle, mystery battle, impsy battle and possibly multibattle). It might become too complicated.
dz wrote:i still don't find it necessary for regular battles.... who cares if someone plays but doesn't tell his time? i personally don't care, because there isn't any mopobattle kinda total point calculation - at least yet.
There will be a system like that. There is Battles Played, Battles Won, Levels Made, Points (which you get for winning, making levels, and getting in the top 5 on a battle), and maybe more than that too. My plan was to make it like mopobattles, only less formal.

So, I realize I should've left the old battlebot running while I was editing it. Now I don't have those old scripts anymore, and the bot is quite far from being completely finished, so it will probably take quite some time before the bot is back up. Also, I'm grateful for any help you can give me, to be honest I'm still not very good at this whole scripting deal.